• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Seyavesh

DMC1 still has the best shotgun basic shot.
i haven't played it since it's original release so i can't say if that's true or not but man, dmc3 shotgun's total package...

sSw3g6P.gif

G6gZ9fI.gif

and that's not even including the real shotgun stinger and point blank!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DMC4 reused a lot of enemies from DMC1 since they were so good. They're great and interesting designs, so I think they're welcome additions.

Most of the issues people voice over DMC3's enemies are that they have defensive gimmicks and are hard to combo. I don't have much of an issue with this because the enemies are clearly designed around utilization of certain styles or weapons; Trickster for Fallen, Gunslinger for Soul Eaters and Blood Goyles, Nevan against Enigma, Agni&Rudra against Arachne, etc. It's just the way the game was designed. The enemies need to be approached in unique ways for maximum efficiency.

I personally far prefer the bosses in DMC3 to DMC4 overall, if for no other reason than Vergil. The three Vergil fights provide the foundation for one of the greatest rivalries in gaming, and ends with one of the best bosses in an action game. Ever. The best bosses in DMC3 far overshadow the best that DMC4 has to offer. The bosses in DMC4 are decent, but they're not so good that fighting them three times per campaign is justifiable. I think the variety and overall quality of the bosses in DMC3 are better, but some people appreciate the consistency in DMC4's set of bosses.

i haven't played it since it's original release so i can't say if that's true or not but man, dmc3 shotgun's total package...

and that's not even including the real shotgun stinger and point blank!

DMC1's shotgun did have the advantage of blowing the regular baddies apart, which was kinetically impactful.

Seyavesh

lol, hilarious.

At least we should be able to expect something a little more powerful in DMC5 if DMC4SE Lady is any indication:
it seems pretty consistent for reversed backslide off shotgun attacks to whiff in insane directions- i think it's part of dante's weird ass spread for his shotgun moves in dmc4 but i'm not sure.

as for lady's shotgun...
honestly, i feel like they're still inferior to the dmc3 one. it still keeps the problem to where the muzzle flash + sparks + enemy blood/dust reaction is really minute unless it's a level 3 charge.
after performing a quick switch to see what exactly it is that bugged me i realized it's not only the spread and muzzle flash but also the huge amount of sparks and blood/dust that the DMC3 shotgun produces vs. the dmc4 one

but man the muzzle flash still does a lot anyways:
X91tNx1.gif

KapFW7F.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
after performing a quick switch to see what exactly it is that bugged me i realized it's not only the spread and muzzle flash but also the huge amount of sparks and blood/dust that the DMC3 shotgun produces vs. the dmc4 one

I meant more that Lady's shotgun felt and looked more powerful than Dante's in DMC4 at least.

That's so cool! Does it also mimic the hitstop from Lady's lvl 3 charge? It's hard to tell in the gif. The game has such a noticeable hit stutter upon hit with Lady.

Could it be that the muzzleflash looks a little less pronounced than DMC3's because the camera is set back? I think the size and quickness of DMC3's muzzleflashes just make it feel more raw.

You put the Lady muzzle flash on Dante's shotgun? Does that cause any sort of problems?

DMC3 also has quicker death animations. Enemies instantly fall apart or shatter and blow away, whereas all of DMC4's enemies have longer, dramatic death animations.

Seyavesh

That's so cool! Does it also mimic the hitstop from Lady's lvl 3 charge? It's hard to tell in the gif. The game has such a noticeable hit stutter upon hit with Lady.

Could it be that the muzzleflash looks a little less pronounced because the camera is set back?
it doesn't mimic the hitstop. it's just an effect change, not a gameplay change. though that's actually the flash from dante's gunstinger and not lady's lvl 3 charge anyway, haha

as for the difference between games: it's really not the camera being pulled back for the actual muzzleflashes- they're legitimately a lot smaller and a lot more anemic looking in comparison to DMC3's equivalents (not to mention the lack of dust blowing out of 'em and sparks/smoke flying everywhere from gunshots)
a quick comparison:
note how the dmc3 shot is actually pulled back significantly more and still has a larger muzzle flash- not to mention that is the largest point of the dmc4 e&i muzzle flash while the dmc3 muzzle flash actually continues expanding while fading out. it's a massive difference and something i never noticed until i went to take these shots

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
it doesn't mimic the hitstop. it's just an effect change, not a gameplay change. though that's actually the flash from dante's gunstinger and not lady's lvl 3 charge anyway, haha

as for the difference between games: it's really not the camera being pulled back for the actual muzzleflashes- they're legitimately a lot smaller and a lot more anemic looking in comparison to DMC3's equivalents (not to mention the lack of dust blowing out of 'em and sparks/smoke flying everywhere from gunshots)
a quick comparison:
note how the dmc3 shot is actually pulled back significantly more and still has a larger muzzle flash- not to mention that is the largest point of the dmc4 e&i muzzle flash while the dmc3 muzzle flash actually continues expanding while fading out. it's a massive difference and something i never noticed until i went to take these shots

Ah, interesting. Still a big improvement. I guess one nice thing about DMC4SE is that there are more muzzelflashes to play around with.

Yeah, that comparison makes it pretty obvious. I feel like maybe a lot of lighting effects in DMC4 are a little muted compared to DMC3. Additionally, with certain level charges in DMC3, I think there's a distortion effect upon firing.

Seyavesh

Additionally, with certain level charges in DMC3, I think there's a distortion effect upon firing.

correct- it distorts outwards from dante's guns. also a huge amount of dust is kicked up when you fire
5Cb7eUt.gif

just the raw power of dmc3 guns is so good- those minute changes between dmc3 to 4 all come together to make a vast difference in feel in these basic shots with guns
sE1kiRm.gif

edit:
since i'm sure any more gifs will make this page just explode in memory usage, here's a webm of replacing e&i's muzzle flashes with the coyote's- it makes a drastic difference in makin' his moves much more satisfying
http://webm.host/e617b/

Dahbomb

Lady's Perfect Ground Zero is among the meatiest of meaty moves in the series.

When that shit goes off... you KNOW it's real.

Seyavesh

round 5 voting for the capcom tourney is up- looks like bumblebeecody made it into this one (under mariotaz):
http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregama...ion-style-tournament---round-5-community-vote

It’s that time again! Hit the jump to view the Top Five submissions for Round 5 of the ongoing Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition Style Tournament, then place your votes!

Vergil is a particularly versatile and powerful character, but the high enemy count and complicated geometry of this fight—not to mention the Dante Must Die setting stipulation—made for a tough round. Nevertheless, our entrants brought us some cool stunts, from Trick-canceled Perfect Judgment Cuts to flashy taunt finishers. This round also brought us some of our shortest entries, but there ain’t nothing wrong with that! Short and sweet is always better than long and meandering.

Now then! Let the voting begin.

Voting Deadline: Friday, August 21st at noon (PT).

Devilnevercry124
Mariotaz
IKevinX
Jack Moondivider
Team McGirk Long

it kinda seems like his vid is the only one with an actual combo in it instead of street sweeping with various moves?
really surprised this round didn't have a buncha sick vids

gunbo13

it kinda seems like his vid is the only one with an actual combo in it instead of street sweeping with various moves?
really surprised this round didn't have a buncha sick vids
lol I should have submitted the footage I threw away after a few hours of capping before my trip. It is way better than most of these, though my MKV software was also bugging out.

BBC's short combo is not bad. The rest of the entries are really poor. I don't regret not being able to submit I guess.

Poor showing for Vergil. :(

1's Shotgun is the clunkiest in the series. I don't think I used it much aside from the occasional shotgun hiking. Grenade rolling was just too OP.

3 is the absolute best which was why 4's Shotgun was such a huge letdown. It doesn't feel as strong and it also doesn't fire as smoothly.

Oh shit did i actually make it in

Edit:Devilnevercry124 is my psn/yt for those who dont know

Also kinda bummed that that shitty vid i put together somehow made it in yet the Nero entry i put effort into didnt . My votes on BBCody.

gunbo13

Also kinda bummed that that shitty vid i put together somehow made it in yet the Nero entry i put effort into didnt .
This happens a lot unfortunately. The best video of mine is Dante DMC3SE; put in a ton of hours on it. Yet the day of posting, my Vergil video which I threw together in a few hours almost for lols, got picked up by DMC FB page. My Lady submission for our local contest was a similar item, less than 2 hours with her and other submissions were better.

Anyway, I'm not sure why Vergil turnout is so low. Maybe people tend to not throw things out with confidence due to his high ceiling. My excuse is that I'm far away from home unable to cap, yet my 2 hour cap before I left, likely would have still won if I submitted it. It seems Vergil is determined at the moment to camp UT with high level play, not wanting to show himself in the limelight.

Seyavesh

I tried messaging BumbleBeeCody on Twitch to see if he was perma'd or not. Hopefully not. Regardless, I think your combo looks great. I like the verticality and there's some funky physics going on there.

did you ever get a reply back? i got all my stuff compiled together and am just waiting on a response- i'm pretty satisfied with what i got and wanna share it asap if it's not happening

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
did you ever get a reply back? i got all my stuff compiled together and am just waiting on a response- i'm pretty satisfied with what i got and wanna share it asap if it's not happening

Yep, he mentioned he should be returning on September 19th and there will be an extension to the CMV as a result.

He did mention to keep the submissions coming, though.

gunbo13

sept 19th? hoo, that's awhile away
well then i feel pretty safe in sharing these 'cuz i figure i'll come up with a new batch of stuff- 3/4 of these were done yesterday, haha.
i figure by then i'll have ever nicer stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjKiwc1oaTQ
Great stuff man. I'll have to take some time to compile some Vergil stuff that does your effort justice. We have a great group of Trish players here, Lady too.

EDIT:
And lol at bad Vergil players complaining how bad the submissions are.

Dahbomb

Unfortunately no Vergil or Nero this go around it seems.
LLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE as fuck.

People too scared to put out Vergil stuff.

There was a lot of influx of Vergil stuff in the few weeks (way more than any other character) but every time someone made a video there was someone else who made something bigger. I think people are just going back into the hyperbolic time chamber so when they put out something they don't get one upped so quickly again.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Capcom-Unity posted an interview with Dan Southworth:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2015/08/20/interview-with-a-capcom-star---dan-southworth

Excerpt:
CU: Director Itsuno-san has suggested that certain aspects of Vergil’s character didn’t really fall into place until he met you and saw how you handled a Japanese sword. As he described it:

“It showed a respect for authentic Japanese swordsmanship, but balanced with a slightly rough, wild style that perfectly fit Vergil’s profile of a Western man using a Japanese sword.”

In your performance, were you conscious of this notion of “Japanese sword fighting with a slight Western twist,” or did that just come about naturally?

DS: I was aware of it and at first I worried if it would have cost me the job. I knew enough about samurai culture and swordsmanship to take a serious and disciplined approach. I practiced and found an expert to work with. In this way I was very Japanese in character. I also knew that I would not attain the specificity of a refined Japanese swordsman in so short a time period. The only way to overcome this handicap was to use my own 30 years of martial arts experience and 20 years of film experience to make deliberate movements I could own with the nuance of an experienced and seasoned character such as Vergil. I even developed some good ole cowboy flair. In this way I was very "Western." To my astonishment these movements were incorporated into the character. In Marvel vs. Capcom 3 some of my flair is incorporated into the character's finishing move... What a tremendous honor to the work.

gunbo13

I think people are just going back into the hyperbolic time chamber so when they put out something they don't get one upped so quickly again.
Sorta. If other players are having my experience, fresh tech is not just his inputs but figuring out how to manage enemy properties outside debug. Major areas are concentration and adding in more traditional specials; enemy step, DMC3SE era sword tech, etc...

Everyone at this point has played out a lot of reverse, side switch, inertia, etc... Now it is less about screwing with the new stuff and getting back to gameplay, managing DMC4 SP, BP, etc...

I'd call this a lame out period. Needs a few months to bake. At least I do, not sure about those with the lucky no life time.

Seyavesh

Sorta. If other players are having my experience, fresh tech is not just his inputs but figuring out how to manage enemy properties outside debug. Major areas are concentration and adding in more traditional specials; enemy step, DMC3SE era sword tech, etc...

Everyone at this point has played out a lot of reverse, side switch, inertia, etc... Now it is less about screwing with the new stuff and getting back to gameplay, managing DMC4 SP, BP, etc...

yep, this is at the point where i've been at with trish since she's pretty shallow character-wise. just a matter of fully understanding interactions w/ enemies to make some cool stuff
just hitting my head against the wall in terms of applying all of that

Does anyone know how BP scoring works? Due to the style meter capping at 99999 I am not sure how it does the multiplication at the end.

I am seeing 6M runs in videos but can barely manage 4.5M myself

Seyavesh

haha oh boy those final round rules
i uh, i ain't got shit for that.

like... i'm seriously considering just redoing my combo vid combos with regular effects 'cuz i'm pretty shot for ideas at the moment

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregama...ournament---round-5-results-final-round-rules

Final Round Rules:

Note that this round is only open to the five players who won previous rounds in the tournament!

Character: Player's choice!

Difficulty: Player's choice!

Modifiers: All optional! (No PC mods, please. Stick to the official game content!)

Mission: Player's choice!

Time Limit: Three minutes.

Details: This is each Finalist's chance to really shine. Players have up to three minutes to show their best stuff. They may choose the character, Mission, fight, and any modifiers, and may stitch together multiple clips. This means players may perform multiple combos with multiple characters in multiple areas, or they may simply do a single stylish run with one character. The only stipulation is that the entire video must be three minutes or shorter in length.

As with previous rounds, the winner of this round will be determined via community vote, to be held here on the blog.

Please upload your video at 720p or better if possible! This is for your benefit as an entrant.

Deadline: Monday, August 31st @12:00pm (noon) PDT

Golnei

That arrangement album that came out a few days ago was okay, if you only take the instrumental tracks into account. The arrangement of Eva's theme in particular has some amazing Engrish; apparently it's the same singer Masato Kouda used for his Smash Bros. vocal remixes; she seems better suited to scatting than actual lyrics. Though it fared better than Devils Never Cry - I didn't particularly like the song to begin with, but the unprocessed original vocals are outright painful to listen to. Ignoring the vocals, the jazzy piano version of Shall Never Surrender was interesting, at least; and the DMC2 tracks were all improvements over the originals. Though when played without any synth, the DMC1 combat themes sound like they belong in F-Zero...

haha oh boy those final round rules
i uh, i ain't got shit for that.

like... i'm seriously considering just redoing my combo vid combos with regular effects 'cuz i'm pretty shot for ideas at the moment

I'll pray for you.

Dahbomb

gunbo13

Ah man. Didn't anticipate that final round. Now I'm bitter about not being able to submit Vergil and take a run at this...

Damn

EDIT:
Time to go hyperbolic.

Seyavesh

Bought this at launch but only just playing now! Does Vergil have any context sensitive moves like Nero against bosses?

nope! just go crazy

also what the heck is this:
http://webm.host/1ef99/

it seems like you can reproduce it (maybe??) by getting the round trip at that height and then doing a just release volcano+ recall sparda? trying to work w/ it but i can't get it again
edit: okay, it's not just release volcano- it's just a matter of height + recalling it at the right time

Seyavesh

Since there's no separate vocal credit for anything except Eva's theme, those were probably the original vocals. It always sounded that bad; prior arrangements just did a better job of hiding it.

hey, i love devils never cry
which shows how bad the remix is

also speeding up lock and load 10 or 15 percent makes it really good because it matches the tempo of the original and works great with it's arrange that way
i don't know why it's slowed down so much

http://tindeck.com/listen/yufxf

Top Bottom