• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Interview with Reuben Langdon:
10cf1c2b295679f33c86507bc8602fd1.jpeg
http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2015/08/13/interview-with-a-capcom-star---reuben-langdon

CU: To what extent did the mocap and voice recording process itself help flesh out Dante as a character? Did you find that you were doing a fair amount of adlibbing and figuring out the character on the fly, or were his mannerisms and behavior pretty much set in stone from the outset? What guided your performance?

RL: For DMC3 it took a couple of days to really get a “feel” for the character. There were a lot of notes to read and become familiar with, because in DMC3 Dante was a complete re-creation of the character. Maybe not as much as the more recent DmC but still a big difference from the first two games in the series. Everyone seems to have a different take and it was very frustrating to try and make everyone happy. I finally got so frustrated at all the over direction that I just did my own thing and I used the frustration to create the character. He came out to be a cocky, rebellious teenager. Everyone loved it!

Dante in DMC4 was different and I started getting a whole new set of notes, but Itsuno-san being a fan of the Macross series told me that his image of Dante in DMC4 was Roy Fokker. Being a big fan of Macross myself, and Fokker being my favorite character, it was easy to relate.

Interesting that they'd randomly do an interview with Reuben. HMMM.... Curious, eh?

EDIT: Well, not completely random. The interview was conducted a ways back during the release of DMC4SE. But still!

Seyavesh

uncle dante is roy fokker?
man, i didn't get that at all considering how laid back he is in comparison

also tryin' to match up to that dude's combos with divekick JCs is so rough... trish's divekick has such a bizarre cancel hitbox

Fake debug though. But still good to watch to find tech.

I like using the lightning like stairs and canceling her pull with what I believe is the pistol.

EDIT:
OK, I figured I have done mostly everything Vergil. What is the hell is this?
cIuT8p.gif

I get the intertia JC but how is the backward movement possible?

EDIT2:
I'll have to test air stinger into swords I guess. Some crazy physics going on there.

max concentration DT aerial rave hit range is crazy. For a second there it looked like he was doing JCJFJC after the air stinger.

gunbo13

max concentration DT aerial rave hit range is crazy. For a second there it looked like he was doing JCJFJC after the air stinger.
Yea, I replicated. It's OK but with combos it is tough to burn DT for such a move. You can do inertia without, that looks pretty slick as well. I also am getting the hang of reverse starfall cancels into JC.

I need Gregaman to wake up. Based on previous html, I believe he posted last around 12:38pm CDT.

Code:
<div class='oneBlogDateLine oneBlogSmallPrint'>
Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 12:38 PM 
[<a href='http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/cat/general'>General</a>]
</div>

Congrats GuardianE!
The results are in for Round 4! Hit the jump to see who this round&#8217;s Finalist is, along with the rules for Round 5 (Vergil), which starts now!

GuardianE takes this week&#8217;s round by a landslide thanks to some impressive footwork, a very slick taunt application, and one brutal finisher. Congrats, Guardian! You secured 38% of the vote and are eligible for the Final Round.
ad82cf17dc79e27ed9a8d6106f20404e.png

Coming in second once again was GarudaPSN with 22% of the vote, followed just behind by IKevinX with 19%.

Now then! Onto the rules for Round 5!

First, be sure to check the initial tournament post for important information about how to submit.

FULL CONTEST RULES

Round 5 Rules:

Character: Vergil

Difficulty: Dante Must Die

Modifiers: Turbo Mode is optional! You may choose the costume of your preference. Super Vergil is optional!

Mission: 17

Fight: Business District/Terrace. This is a huge fight with lots of different enemy types and plenty of open space. Just try not to let the objects in the road obscure your (and our) view of the action!

You do not have to perform the entire fight in 60 seconds, but the clip itself must be limited to a 60-second (or shorter) piece of the fight. It may, of course, be shorter than 60 seconds.

Please upload your video at 720p or better if possible! This is for your benefit as an entrant. J

Deadline: Monday, August 17th @12:00pm (noon) PDT

Good luck, and may the most stylish player win!
Capcom Unity

I dunno how I feel about Super Vergil being allowed but I'm sure it will be a spectacle.
I dunno what's added in Super Vergil

Seyavesh

congrats guardianE, that was 100% your win all the way. head and shoulders above the rest

on the vergil rules...
shouldn't that be mission 18? mission 17 is still the jungle, isn't it?
either way, i hope gunbo got that in time, haha
at the very least it's got DMD so vergils can be allowed to flex a bit more given the enemy health values

also: here's another training mode combo. trying to integrate some of enthalpy's combo style into my own but man it's rough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z73EUyjmwsY&feature=youtu.be

i'm still not sure how to utilize this stuff in real combos 'cuz enemies either flip out instantly(angelos, ice guys) or die too fast (dogs, scarecrows)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Wahoo! Thanks, guys! I really appreciate it. Looking at the entries, I wish I'd added a little bit more meat to the middle, but controlling the Angelos' patterns is just so annoying. Part of it is luck. Admittedly, Round 4 was in a really shitty area for Lady, but I'm glad I was able to make the most of a shitty situation.

It looks like Gregaman did decide to throw a curveball for Round 5 after all. I also hope gunbo managed to put something together. It's a decent area with a lot of variety, but I'm pretty sure he didn't have something already prepped for there.

I dunno how I feel about Super Vergil being allowed but I'm sure it will be a spectacle.
I dunno what's added in Super Vergil

Super Vergil has unlimited DT and full Concentration gauge, so he basically has free reign to do whatever he wants.

gunbo13

Congrats GuardianE, won with ease.

I'm working on Vergil but super doubtful I have the time to cap something decent. The environmental obstacles are getting me stuck on teleports constantly. And you can't traverse decently without teles except if you are elevated with starfalls. Frankly, this is a shitty spot for Vergil.

I don't think I'll get something in with just a few hours but I wish you all the best of luck.

EDIT:
Last word, area chosen is trash for Vergil. I predict a lot of pain for you guys getting stuck on guard rails, lamp posts, and cars. Why pick a spot where Vergil has trouble moving around with teleport? So dumb.

I had 3 hours to try exhausted and getting ready for my trip; wasn't happy enough with the footage. Good luck to guys here again. When I return I'll create a clip that beats the winner with ease. "You think you stand a chance?"

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
EDIT:
Last word, area chosen is trash for Vergil. I predict a lot of pain for you guys getting stuck on guard rails, lamp posts, and cars. Why pick a spot where Vergil has trouble moving around with teleport? So dumb.

I had 3 hours to try exhausted and getting ready for my trip; wasn't happy enough with the footage. Good luck to guys here again. When I return I'll create a clip that beats the winner with ease. "You think you stand a chance?"

Ah, I hadn't considered the geometry in play and Vergil's otherwise very direct enemy specific mobility. Hopefully you have enough time to pull something together when you get back.

The checkpoint system in this game is complete fucking bullshit... isnt it...

Is there a particular spot you're having trouble with? The checkpoint system seems to at least always be before a boss, with usually one or two spots in the middle of a Mission. You also have the option of Gold Orbs for resurrection if you need them.

Z3M0G

Is there a particular spot you're having trouble with? The checkpoint system seems to at least always be before a boss, with usually one or two spots in the middle of a Mission. You also have the option of Gold Orbs for resurrection if you need them.

I want to be able to quit the game at a checkpoint and not need to start a mission from the beginning when i return... Mission 2 is a lot to replay when i quit just before the boss... and i imagine others will be even longer...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I want to be able to quit the game at a checkpoint and not need to start a mission from the beginning when i return... Mission 2 is a lot to replay when i quit just before the boss... and i imagine others will be even longer...

I think you can. If you're on the PS4 version, you can just suspend and resume at your leisure. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that if you just exit the game mid-mission, it'll resume where you left off upon restart since it autosaves.

None of the missions are really all that long to go through.

Z3M0G

No pausing during the (long) cutscenes really pisses me off as well... they dont even hault if you hit the PS button...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
No pausing during the (long) cutscenes really pisses me off as well... they dont even hault if you hit the PS button...

You can always skip and then rewatch them in the Story Theater when you're ready to play again. None of the cutscenes are exceedingly long. This isn't MGS4.

Z3M0G

You can always skip and then rewatch them in the Story Theater when you're ready to play again. None of the cutscenes are exceedingly long. This isn't MGS4.
Clearly not mgs long but some have been 5+ minutes so far... and i dont want to skip and watch later... thatwould totally break the experience . I play for story as much as gameplay

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Clearly not mgs long but some have been 5+ minutes so far... and i dont want to skip and watch later... thatwould totally break the experience . I play for story as much as gameplay

No offense, but if you're playing for story and it's important to you, why do you have to get up and take a break every 5 minutes?

Z3M0G

No offense, but if you're playing for story and it's important to you, why do you have to get up and take a break every 5 minutes?
Life

My gaming opportunities come in very short bursts. Newborn, etc.

Its not needing a break every 5 min... its needing the ability to pause on a whim and quit to a different game at any time, cause i jump games rapidly.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Life

My gaming opportunities come in very short bursts. Newborn, etc.

Its not needing a break every 5 min... its needing the ability to pause on a whim and quit to a different game at any time, cause i jump games rapidly.

Gotcha. If it's any consolation, the longest cutscenes are probably in the beginning, so you won't be waiting quite as long later in the game.

And if it was me, jumping between different games every 5 minutes would break my immersion. :p

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Always great to see more donguri. I was worried we wouldn't see much from him since his last full playthrough mentioned he might take a break in the description.

Also, a little over 3 hours to get Vergil entries submitted to Capcom - Unity for the Style Tournament! Hopefully people had time to throw something together.

Sesha

Apparently Gametrailers' Kyle Bosman is on the DMC5 hype train (check my comments).

Speaking of, we're now less than a month away from TGS.

just released all my effects mods for trish- got red, dark blue, light blue and purple out now at:
http://s1.zetaboards.com/InfernalWorks/topic/5861243/1/#new

i think the red and dark blue turned out pretty great
JAPlfrd.jpg

Y1j9urj.jpg

Awesome. That dark blue lightning, yum. Excellent work. Makes me wonder how Nevan or Alastor would look in HD. And red Revenge looks freaking gorgeous.

Speaking of mods, it's crazy how Capcom couldn't add a freaking Boss Rush or Boss Select mode to this game. Modders simply poke around with the game for a bit, and voila. Of course a proper mode would require a bit more work, but it wouldn't be that big an undertaking. Revengeance added Boss Select for something as mundane as the PC version.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
just released all my effects mods for trish- got red, dark blue, light blue and purple out now at:

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/JAPlfrd.jpg[/IMG]
[IM]http://i.imgur.com/Y1j9urj.jpg[/IMG]

That looks so sick. A huge huge improvement over the default (although she's kinda stuck with it in the canon). I agree that the red and dark blue are standouts, but the purple is really spectacular as well.

I'm not familiar with Bossman, though I know he's popular around here. The more people in the media excited for DMC5, the better. Someone needs to bust out that hype chariot for TGS.

How many days until TGS? Need to start that hype train.. Personally I think Capcom will reveal DMC5 at Sony's pre-TGS event because they are buddy buddy now....

Looks SO GOOD. Especially the blue lightning.

That looks so sick. A huge huge improvement over the default (although she's kinda stuck with it in the canon). I agree that the red and dark blue are standouts, but the purple is really spectacular as well.
Agreed with regard to the canon, but it'd be great to see DMC5 include costume options that include vfx modifiers and not just skins/"super" attribute (and allow a lot of remixing among those, like on a per-character and per-weapon basis). Because I would turn that blue lightning on immediately and never look back.

Golnei

What did you have to do to make the red work, compared to your first attempt? Just a lot of manual changes to secondary colours?

Of course a proper mode would require a bit more work, but it wouldn't be that big an undertaking. Revengeance added Boss Select for something as mundane as the PC version.

It's still as glaring an omission as ever, especially considering how much smaller the team assigned to port MGR was.

(although she's kinda stuck with it in the canon).

They can probably get away with allowing her to use different colours of lightning, even if the default is always yellow - it probably wouldn't be too dissonant to have her Devil Trigger change it to blue; or a DMC2-esque Majin Form mechanic which coloured it red - it'd also help her DT stand out a bit more, visually, if the sunglasses remain the only physical change. Alternately, it could just be tied to alternate costumes, similar to how Vergil's palette swap outfit makes some of his effects red.

Seyavesh

What did you have to do to make the red work, compared to your first attempt? Just a lot of manual changes to secondary colours?

it's actually something you said- specifically about how pastel colors work better than flat colors
instead of using a flat red color, i used a pastel red (e70000 vs. ee4c4c).
it still looked pretty bad on the bare knuckle directional moves so i just hand tweaked those - i really, really like how lunar phase looks with a two-tone color rather than a singular one:
1tNBD8c.gif

Sesha

it's actually something you said- specifically about how pastel colors work better than flat colors
it still looked pretty bad on the bare knuckle directional moves so i just hand tweaked those - i really, really like how lunar phase looks with a two-tone color rather than a singular one:
1tNBD8c.gif

That looks so good. Trish makes for a much cooler-looking lightning-elemental fighter than Cole from Infamous. You really did a bang-up job on the coloring.

On a related note, I really love how the aerial version of Lunar Phase animates, especially the finishing axe heel drop. I wonder if they took inspiration from the Orbit move from DmC.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
On a related note, I really love how the aerial version of Lunar Phase animates, especially the finishing axe heel drop. I wonder if they took inspiration from the Orbit move from DmC.

I think it's more likely that Orbit took inspiration from Vergil's grounded Lunar Phase and just needed to incorporate it into Yamato since DmC Vergil has no hand to hand. Lunar Phase had a flattening hard knockdown strike at the end in DMC3 as well.

And I think the general approach to DMC4SE Vergil was to air enable all of his moves- stinger, lunar phase, roundtrip, etc.

The added lightning strike is a nice effect for Trish though.

Sesha

Possibly, but I meant more in terms of utility, because of the fact that Orbit is a juggling move, as well as a knockdown effect which they also added to Lunar Phase.

Giving all moves aerial versions was a good idea after Bayonetta.

Golnei

I'm glad I managed to say something vaguely useful, it doesn't happen often. I love how solid the trails of Lunar Phase look with that palette (especially the long, thin exterior one), it accentuates the motion so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFOOX7viCso

this was gonna be another one of my entries in the neogaf combo vid but uhh bumblebeecody is banned and upon review it's not as hot as i thought it was
the properties on charged straight bouncing enemies around is mega weird and i really don't get them

i gotta come up with somethin', man!

Is it different for Frosts than other enemies? Since they already do weird stuff in other situations.

I wish DMC3 after the first Vergil fight held up. It really doesn't. Has all of the worst bosses, far too many flying enemies and enemies who can't juggled, just isn't much fun.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is it different for Frosts than other enemies? Since they already do weird stuff in other situations.

I wish DMC3 after the first Vergil fight held up. It really doesn't. Has all of the worst bosses, far too many flying enemies and enemies who can't juggled, just isn't much fun.

Beowulf, Nevan, Vergil 2, and Vergil 3? Even Lady is fine despite being a bit on the easy side. Geryon is pretty inoffensive, and Leviathan Heart or Doppleganger aren't nearly as bad as something like The Savior.

I understand the complaints about the enemies, even if I think it's way overblown, but the bosses are still fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFOOX7viCso

this was gonna be another one of my entries in the neogaf combo vid but uhh bumblebeecody is banned and upon review it's not as hot as i thought it was
the properties on charged straight bouncing enemies around is mega weird and i really don't get them

i gotta come up with somethin', man!

I tried messaging BumbleBeeCody on Twitch to see if he was perma'd or not. Hopefully not. Regardless, I think your combo looks great. I like the verticality and there's some funky physics going on there.

Beowulf, Nevan, Vergil 2, and Vergil 3? Even Lady is fine despite being a bit on the easy side. Geryon is pretty inoffensive, and Leviathan Heart or Doppleganger aren't nearly as bad as something like The Savior.

I understand the complaints about the enemies, even if I think it's way overblown, but the bosses are still fantastic.

Do people like Nevan? I've always thought she was boring. Geryon, Doppleganger, and Arkham are all much too repetitive. The Savior is terrible but at least it doesn't take much time or effort to beat.

Is it a common complaint? I know people like to criticize the chessboard fight, but I feel like the problems with enemy encounters/ design start in Leviathan and never really let up.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Do people like Nevan? I've always thought she was boring. Geryon, Doppleganger, and Arkham are all much too repetitive. The Savior is terrible but at least it doesn't take much time or effort to beat.

Is it a common complaint? I know people like to criticize the chessboard fight, but I feel like the problems with enemy encounters/ design start in Leviathan and never really let up.

It's a very common complaint. Really the most substantial complaint levied at DMC3. But you still fight plenty of Sins and Abyss, that are completely juggleable post-Vergil 1.

I like Nevan a lot. Doppleganger and Geryon don't take a lot of effort to beat. The only boss that I would argue is actually straight up terrible is Arkham, and that's mostly because getting no-damage on him is so difficult. And the fact that the Dante/Vergil team up is amazing at the end doesn't salvage it overall as a boss fight.

Seyavesh

i enjoy the arkham fight more than any dmc4 boss which is pretty weird
i'm like the opposite in terms of my issues though, i find all the dmc4 bosses too dull (lots of defensive-only periods which is lame to me) while my issues with the bad dmc3 bosses is that they're kinda weird or poorly designed. outside of considering the no-damage part i think arkham is actually really cool in a lot of ways (mostly related to the dolphin summon)

also yeah the frosts and dogs will bounce because of their weird ass properties when you hit them with a straight from trish. i assume it's something to do with their wonky hurtboxes and how you can do backwards/360 JC air raves on them
other enemies rarely do it, though if you position it right sometimes they'll go flying off in a different direction (usually based on the height of the enemy)

It was something that really bothered me when I first played the game, but I rarely see it openly-stated. I'd never even seen it mentioned until DMC4 had come out with almost every enemy being juggleable.
There did turn out to be more juggle-able non-mandatory Sins standing around than I remembered, but I'll always feel like all of the non-juggleable enemies other than chess pieces and Soul Eaters were tedious and unnecessary. The spiders are definitely the worst offender.

I like Berial because he has no tricks or wonky hitboxes. Dodge and hit him in the head. Frogs are okay but the Rusalkas are dumb. Echidna runs away too much. Credo is a punk with his constant blocking, but there are so many ways to make a joke out of him that it's alright. I don't really like bosses in 3D games in general. The only bosses I can think of right on the spot that I would choose to fight are probably Berial and Sundowner. Whereas Bayonetta has a boss so bad it makes me question the entire concept of putting action games in 3D, that tentacle bastard.

Seyavesh

i can't tell if i dislike dmc4's enemies more than dmc3's specifically because i really dislike dante's weapons in dmc4 or not. like, i love the dmc3 weapons- especially the guns. going to dmc4 was such a shame. it's still a shame even now, haha

the difference in every aspect between the DMC3 shotgun (which is one of my favorite weapons in any game period and the coyote is just so depressing, man

although backslide makes up a little for it

Top Bottom