• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

That's pretty awesome that 3/5 of the Capcom DMC4:SE True Style entries are fellow NeoGAFfers. Good luck everyone!

And TGS is less than 2 months away.... I think at this point Capcom has the nextgen battlefield locked for stylish action games. Nothing else like DMC5 will be coming out in the next 2-3 years..

Seyavesh

well, here's a concept of what one of my combo vid entries was gonna be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1xDQh8PNeQ

since i can't find a way to get these damn ice dudes to not instaflip out of combos on harder difficulties i'm sharing it due to the idea more or less being a bust

edit: oh god i found something dumb that means i have to submit something that looks almost exactly the same as this except it's also significantly more entertaining to me

gunbo13

Damn, really shows the talent we have around here. Great job guys. I have no idea where my vote will go but it will go somewhere good.

Unlike a lot of people here I am having a tough time with Vergil lol. I think I am totally playing it wrong, trying to use him like Dante and wondering why I don't have the evasive/defensive flexibility. I feel like this game has been tuned just for Vergil but opposite to Nero: whereas Nero feels like the game is designed around his mechanics, with Vergil I have seen enemies been so aggressive that I have never seen before - and I think it has to do with what a safe character Nero can be with the Devil Bringer and charged shots and how OP Dante is.

Anyway, find the whole experience of dying over and over again with Vergil in this game interesting.

Congrats Seyavesh for 1st place!
The results are in for Round 3! Hit the jump to see who this round’s Finalist is, along with the rules for Round 4 (Lady), which starts now!

The crowd has spoken, and this week’s round goes to Hiimtab, whose dazzling display of reverse attacks just might blow the lid off the Trish combo scene. Congrats to Hiimtab, who grabbed 38% of the electorate and is now eligible for the Final Round.
5642b81fa1b0aa26ad7983a09b7d4f09.png

Coming in second was GarudaPSN, breaking his third place streak (^^;) and securing 26% of the vote, followed by GamerIzzy42 with 17%.

Now then! Onto the rules for Round 4!

First, be sure to check the initial tournament post for important information about how to submit.

FULL CONTEST RULES

Round 4 Rules:

Character: Lady

Difficulty: Son of Sparda

Modifiers: Turbo Mode is optional! You may choose the costume of your preference.

Mission: 9

Fight: Gran Album Bridge (the mission's first fight). You do not have to perform the entire fight in 60 seconds, but the clip itself must be limited to a 60-second (or shorter) piece of the fight. It may, of course, be shorter than 60 seconds.

Please upload your video at 720p or better if possible! This is for your benefit as an entrant.

Deadline: Monday, August 10th @12:00pm (noon) PDT

Good luck, and may the most stylish player win!
Capcom Unity

Seyavesh

hooraaaaay

thanks for the support y'all
now i just gotta figure out how to not look like in dope in front of a buncha sweet vergil and dante vids in the finals...

Golnei

edit:
wait shit does lucifer use this animation...

It does have something similar - would replacing one of Beowulf/Gilgamesh's ground combo animations with it (or Nero's shadow boxing taunt) be able to replicate the same general look?

And congratulations, of course.

Seyavesh

It does have something similar - would replacing one of Beowulf/Gilgamesh's ground combo animations with it (or Nero's shadow boxing taunt) be able to replicate the same general look?

And congratulations, of course.

i'd imagine there'd have to be some issues given how all of the attacks on those weapons are chargable but honestly i have no idea- lmt editing and stuff is beyond me and even worse, apparently doesn't have compatible tools for dmc4se

also thanks

gunbo13

Congrats Seyavesh. Looks like our internal tournament really segued into our elite players taking names elsewhere.

Next round is Lady...I'm going to start on my taxes for next year instead.

EDIT:
Capcom, please nerf Vergil's damage. You are limiting us. K thx.

Seyavesh

Submitted this for the Lady tournament. Those Biancos were hard to style on :(, but I think I managed to do it good/decently?

do the biancos flip out of the homing rockets on SOS mode? or any mode?
i feel like you could do some stuff where like, you launch 'em and then fire a quick homing missile barrage into stuff while they flip out of the first missile into more missiles that'll circle back around at em but that's pure theory talk.

also speaking of pure theory talk, here's a dumb training mode combo that i don't think will work in practice just because of enemy health values not surviving the beam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhBKBzoXjoI

do the biancos flip out of the homing rockets on SOS mode? or any mode?
i feel like you could do some stuff where like, you launch 'em and then fire a quick homing missile barrage into stuff while they flip out of the first missile into more missiles that'll circle back around at em but that's pure theory talk.
That last homing rocket was weird and I haven't noticed it before now. I need to play around with Lady some more.

Congrats Seyavesh! Your Trish tech and videos are great!
EDIT:
Capcom, please nerf Vergil's damage. You are limiting us. K thx.
I think everyone has probably moved onto DMC5 (hopefully), so I don't think we'll see any more revisions to DMC4:SE.. Someone should post Vergil's damage as a bug on the Capcom Unity patch request page lol.

I have several hours free so come and relax:
twitch.tv/bumblebeecody
Submitted this for the Lady tournament. Those Biancos were hard to style on :(, but I think I managed to do it good/decently?

Nice. I really wish we got a better place to play on.

Ha, Donguri did an actual full playthrough. Beat me to it.

gunbo13

Donguri's Vergil is actually still not even close to his Dante. It's still C tier compared to what is possible. However, he is likely struggling with what most of us Vergil players are, which is his damage output. The best Vergil is still only possible in debug against single enemies. The best style will likely come from uninterrupted play against mobs mixing in all his formulas.

Vergil will simply not style like his compatriots. The math is undeniable.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
HAHAHAHA Oh wow I'm shit. That's genuinely funny XD

Good stuff to Sey' though! Your's was easily the best!

Edit: This new tournament with Lady though :/ She really doesn't handle the Biancos that well. Probably not going to enter this one. I wanted to as well, but this is a slog to try and make work.

Not at all, dude. I really liked your video. The problem is that people can only vote for one, which means all their other preferences are tossed out of consideration. I think a better system would have been to have people rank them from best to worst, and that way there would be weighted values for each vote. I'm sure I would have been last place if they did that, which is fair, heh.

This new tournament is quite possibly the worst location for Lady. She is not designed to fight the Angelos well at all. None of her moves juggle. Few of them launch. Few of them stun. And she completely lacks horizontal mobility, and her slow attacks+heavy recovery+inability to cancel mean you can't commit to things without a bit of luck.

Seyavesh

i was curious about my theory so yeah turns out angelos just don't flip out of rockets
however angling the rockets make 'em potentially do the same thing i was thinking of, where they go past the enemy and start circling around 'em for delayed rocket combo potential
also the rockets home in on enemies regardless of what direction you're facing which i guess is something at the very least

see:
http://webm.host/940e2/

^ TheMoreYouKnow.jpg
Not at all, dude. I really liked your video. The problem is that people can only vote for one, which means all their other preferences are tossed out of consideration. I think a better system would have been to have people rank them from best to worst, and that way there would be weighted values for each vote. I'm sure I would have been last place if they did that, which is fair, heh.

This new tournament is quite possibly the worst location for Lady. She is not designed to fight the Angelos well at all. None of her moves juggle. Few of them launch. Few of them stun. And she completely lacks horizontal mobility, and her slow attacks+heavy recovery+inability to cancel mean you can't commit to things without a bit of luck.

No seriously it was a completely on the spot combo. I was streaming on Twitch when I magically happened and was "yeah I'll just submit that". I was gonna be happy with whoever one.

Yeah, I can't make anything work with Lady on this section. :(

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
i was curious about my theory so yeah turns out angelos just don't flip out of rockets
however angling the rockets make 'em potentially do the same thing i was thinking of, where they go past the enemy and start circling around 'em for delayed rocket combo potential
also the rockets home in on enemies regardless of what direction you're facing which i guess is something at the very least

see:
http://webm.host/940e2/

Heh, the second part of your clip is almost exactly what I did for my current entry. The reverse rocket shot looks way cooler, though.

^ TheMoreYouKnow.jpg

No seriously it was a completely on the spot combo. I was streaming on Twitch when I magically happened and was "yeah I'll just submit that". I was gonna be happy with whoever one.

Yeah, I can't make anything work with Lady on this section. :(

At least you managed to capture it! You never know when serendipity is on your side. I think it looked good. Seyavesh definitely deserved it in my opinion, but I wouldn't bother trying to interpret the other rankings too hard.

My Lady entry is garbage right now, but I honestly don't have the time or patience to keep trying over the weekend. Lady is just ill-equipped to style on these enemies, especially when they're in formation. I'm really interested in seeing what people came up with.

gunbo13

Hooked up USB 3.0 4TB so now can cap with PC version. So much better quality then the compressed PS4 garbage.

Footage here shows what is possible with Vergil but made mostly impossible due to his high damage output. It is a shame. Vergil is not like Dante or the rest of the crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQfiebMvo2Q

I also feel like I'm going to miss the unity Vergil challenge since I'll be on vacation next weekend. I want to know now to cap something beforehand, unfortunately probably screwed. Maybe I can guess the entire setup...

#nerfvergildamage

Seyavesh

Hooked up USB 3.0 4TB so now can cap with PC version. So much better quality then the compressed PS4 garbage.

Footage here shows what is possible with Vergil but made mostly impossible due to his high damage output. It is a shame. Vergil is not like Dante or the rest of the crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQfiebMvo2Q
i don't think i'll ever get tired of seeing trick down->crossunder stinger->trick up looking like a smooth teleport string. it just looks so damn cool
is this stuff only possible with max concentration btw? i saw a vergil combo that let him extend his stuff more than usual by starting at 0 concentration and more or less keeping it tanked/not having downtime to let it start boosting wildly

as for some content on my end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6y3cHmOeb8

trish's round trip has something weird going on with it and i can't figure out what exactly it is. basically it'll spark on the first hit and cause a float state if you do it in the air near an enemy. but on the ground it won't do that most of the time and when it seems to randomly do so it doesn't float them

Some nub ass questions, hope no one minds.

1. How much control do you have over Vergil's Summoned Swords during taunts? I haven't gotten into controlling when Spiral Swords, Storm Swords and Blistering Swords actually launch at the enemy - I just wait for them to hit.
2. Frosts are giving me trouble with Trish and early Dante (yes I just unlocked Dante). They're no trouble to toss arond with Nero, Vergil and Lady's shotgun.

Seyavesh

Some nub ass questions, hope no one minds.

1. How much control do you have over Vergil's Summoned Swords during taunts? I haven't gotten into controlling when Spiral Swords, Storm Swords and Blistering Swords actually launch at the enemy - I just wait for them to hit.
2. Frosts are giving me trouble with Trish and early Dante (yes I just unlocked Dante). They're no trouble to toss arond with Nero, Vergil and Lady's shotgun.

1. you can't activate summon swords during taunts- however, if they're already active then you can release them during the taunt.

2. as trish you can just v-divider them into silly air jump cancel combos. they're also incredibly vulnerable to the round trip hitstun so you can just boomerang 'em, toss out round trip and then go to town.

i don't think i'll ever get tired of seeing trick down->crossunder stinger->trick up looking like a smooth teleport string. it just looks so damn cool
is this stuff only possible with max concentration btw? i saw a vergil combo that let him extend his stuff more than usual by starting at 0 concentration and more or less keeping it tanked/not having downtime to let it start boosting wildly

as for some content on my end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6y3cHmOeb8

trish's round trip has something weird going on with it and i can't figure out what exactly it is. basically it'll spark on the first hit and cause a float state if you do it in the air near an enemy. but on the ground it won't do that most of the time and when it seems to randomly do so it doesn't float them
It's because the game instantly gives te air properties of the attack regardless of how lob you hit them for. Basically as long as you hit then with Sparda, they're go into the floaty state(funnily enough I did it in my Unity entry). Vergil's summons sword launcher also has the same effect.

gunbo13

Some of it is only doable with max concentration. However, I'm not over-stressing it at this time due to its not completely understood nature. Basically, it is easier to just feel out the combos, understanding when certain range of attacks will connect or not. There are a number of hitbox property changes to remember if you are starting with low concentration. It will be great when it is completely documented and should open up a bunch of stuff.

I just know this weekend will be Vergil and I'm away. Anyone fancy a guess at the rules? Son of Sparda, mission 12? I need to at least give predicting and pre-capping a shot.

EDIT:
This is my favorite Vergil teleport mix. The speed of it.
m67x8A.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I just know this weekend will be Vergil and I'm away. Anyone fancy a guess at the rules? Son of Sparda, mission 12? I need to at least give predicting and pre-capping a shot.

When will you be leaving? The next round usually goes up on Friday afternoon.

I'm hoping Gregaman sticks with Mission 12. It's popular for a reason. But maybe he thinks people are getting tired of Mega Scarecrows? Lady's area was probably chosen as an unfortunate mix of them wanting to change up the enemy variety and Lady not having ideal starting points for quick restart. Even mission 4 requires you to progress, and you have to die to restart at the checkpoint.

Mission 12 seems like a consistent choice, but maybe he'll mix up the difficulty, bringing back LDK or finally letting in DMD. There was some negative feedback on LDK, so maybe they won't do that one again. I wonder how he handled the DmC style tournament.

EDIT: it looks like he mixed in some DMD into the DmC one. I wouldnt be especially surprised if he decided to release the limiter for Vergil.

gunbo13

When will you be leaving? The next round usually goes up on Friday afternoon.

Mission 12 seems like a consistent choice, but maybe he'll mix up the difficulty, bringing back LDK or finally letting in DMD. There was some negative feedback on LDK, so maybe they won't do that one again. I wonder how he handled the DmC style tournament.
Early Saturday morning I'm out. I could record mission 12 with SoS & DMD to cover that. But if Gregaman does a big mix up, I doubt I will get something good out there with such little time.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Early Saturday morning I'm out. I could record mission 12 with SoS & DMD to cover that. But if Gregaman does a big mix up, I doubt I will get something good out there with such little time.

On the one hand, I don't want you to waste your time. On the other hand, I don't want you to rush. It's tough because I'm not sure if they'll want to change things since two rounds have already taken place there.

It doesn't leave you a lot of time, but maybe whatever you workshop for mission 12 will be easily adaptable to whatever the actual area turns out to be.

gunbo13

It'll be like doing an FADC into ultra, except instead of that short string, 60 seconds of Vergil inputs. lol I'll have to channel my past KI and Tekken skills to replicate designed strings given an hour of time. Challenge accepted.

Seyavesh

It'll be like doing an FADC into ultra, except instead of that short string, 60 seconds of Vergil inputs. lol I'll have to channel my past KI and Tekken skills to replicate designed strings given an hour of time. Challenge accepted.

welcome to my world and how i approach trish's limited toolset
i even got a text file

trish contest crap.txt said:
starter combo 1. reverse Vdivider
sparda hit->reverse v-divider->lunar phase->sparda combo B (dash backwards) launch-> jump->air combo until death

combo 2. JC LASER COMBO
v-divider->high voltage (full hits)->v-divider->laser->JC->v-divider->lunar phase asap
->JC off bounce->v-divider->round trip->rocket->reverse lunar phase-> double divekick-> max overdrive?

combo 3 (S RANK NEEDED).
high voltage JC first hit-> throw round trip->taunt-> taunt hits ->jump forward
->divekick x2 (same direction)->taunt->v-divider-> check health- kill w/ DT if possible

looking at it again the written combos are way cooler than the actual stuff i did dangit

gunbo13

looking at it again the written combos are way cooler than the actual stuff i did dangit
Haha, I would do something similar with DMC3:SE except it was more like take one design and work on it for what could be hours to get it just right. The combo would be designed but just needed to be executed. Used way too much time.

Seyavesh

Does this happen with anyone else's Vergil?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y9sDhk467mQ

yes, it's the transition between beowulf DT form and yamato DT form to make it look more natural switching out models

i've been trying to figure out a way to combo dante as trish and i can't find anything wildly interesting... dude just kinda zooms away from everything that ain't a round trip or really lame ground combos
i think i've got an idea for my freestyle entry for the finals rounds but without a combo it's not really technical at all, just stylish (mirroring dante with trish moves that are similar and then beating him in showdowns)

Where are them DMC5 rumors? I remember around this time in 2010 we were getting DmC rumors..

Does anyone think capcom might show DMC5 at the Sony tgs event 2 weeks prior?

Top Bottom