• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Seyavesh

Is the combo complete in terms of animations, attack data, hitboxes and so on? Is it possible to make it available as a mod replacing the standard Force Edge A combo?

nah, unfortunately the attack data is definitely wrong/missing for that attack- only the first slash hits, and the hit reaction/hitbox doesn't quite match up

edit:
as for content, here's a really long winded vergil combo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu0zRou0CHs&feature=youtu.be

i can't be assed to refine it anymore at the moment

Seyavesh

Boo-urns. DMC5 or bust, then.

That combo is sweet. What is up with Vergil's outfit?
i just wanted a coatless vergil or something close so i decided to use golnei's gene mod for him, remove the coat and recolor it as a ghetto method of doing so

My DMC Graphic arts book finally arrived today, they certainly delayed it enough. But super happy to finally have it, I had considered purchasing the Japanese one several times over the years.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
y784Xj.gif

Just absurdity.

nah, unfortunately the attack data is definitely wrong/missing for that attack- only the first slash hits, and the hit reaction/hitbox doesn't quite match up

Aw, that sucks. I guess that it might have been one of the first attack animations that they brought over from DMC3 before they decided to adapt and change his moveset for DMC4.

I hope pax has a hint of dmc5. My dream is a Dante Rayne game where the half humans troll everything.

Welcome back.

Just a highlight from a stream i did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21qO9hjvcMQ
Starting to get much faster with the calibur cancelling. They wont be fast enough to chain unless they are EX- caliburs. One step closer to flying with Nero .

Really looking good!

My DMC Graphic arts book finally arrived today, they certainly delayed it enough. But super happy to finally have it, I had considered purchasing the Japanese one several times over the years.

It's seriously amazing. Definitely a resource that every DMC fan should have. The interviews and notes are so full of info.

Sesha

I got the art book a few days ago, and yeah, it's amazing. I've seen most of the art work before and knew a lot of the details for a lot of it due to reading the non-translated art books, but it's a gem. The interviews especially.

That said, all the mentions of DMC5 in various contexts drive me crazy. If the interviews are all old and were a part of the JP language original then that would be insane that we went so long without them.

Sesha

Agreed. All those literal DMC5 mentions in the interview is nuts. Its like they already developed DMC5 and just sitting around doing nothing.

I wouldn't go that far. Itsuno and team are real troopers and have pretty much been working non-stop since DMC2. But we do know enough to construct a pretty accurate timeline of the series' developmental history.

Seyavesh

Aw, that sucks. I guess that it might have been one of the first attack animations that they brought over from DMC3 before they decided to adapt and change his moveset for DMC4.
it's definitely not because the actual animation is different from the dmc3 one- it's a brand new animation with a unique sheathing anim too

haha, i love that he goes out of his way to do reverse attacks against the spears just 'cuz even when there's 2 other credos swinging off to the side

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
it's definitely not because the actual animation is different from the dmc3 one- it's a brand new animation with a unique sheathing anim too

Yeah, I didn't mean a straight import, something like that might very well be impossible. I just mean it was probably one of the initial legacy combos from DMC3 they created before making adjustments. It makes me wonder if there's more, like a DMC3 Vergil Aerial Rave.

Seyavesh

Yeah, I didn't mean a straight import, something like that might very well be impossible. I just mean it was probably one of the initial legacy combos from DMC3 they created before making adjustments. It makes me wonder if there's more, like a DMC3 Vergil Aerial Rave.

based on the list he's got for his motion files, i don't think so- he's got dante's aerial rave which is similar but nothing else that'd fit the bill

Just a highlight from a stream i did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21qO9hjvcMQ
Starting to get much faster with the calibur cancelling. They wont be fast enough to chain unless they are EX- caliburs. One step closer to flying with Nero .

Very nice!

man_having_heart_attack.jpg

Been a week but that CMV video has received a lot of good feedback! A lot of people are impressed with your guys skill :D

Seyavesh

this inspired me to swap out the animation (and not the attack data) of the first two aerial rave attacks, which in turn seems to have affected how fast i can swing with 'em
http://webm.host/1c375/

this is seriously 10x more fun to use than the real versions just because of the speed.
unfortunately, you can't access yamato combo B with it so it's also limiting too

Just noticed that it has comments by some of the very special people from /v/, lol.

Yeah. I occassionally go there and another section (though I'm not naming it) and see the bs they say. You'd think they would be open to more people within the community.
Inb4 prt scrn
As I said though, generally speakin, it has been well recieved. All the players here deserve a pat on the back.
Thanks for making that thread too.

Sesha

A bit of my rough run, but can you guys give me some pointers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3k7DQU3sz4

First things that spring to mind:
- Switch off Super mode.
- Try to switch weapons more often.
- Use aerial Lunar Phase more when juggling.
- Use Judgment Cut End less. Ideally, try to set up Judgement Cut End as a finisher by juggling enemies with Summon Swords or Roundtrip.
- Try to practice Perfect Judgment Cut and use it as a way to be less reliant on the standard Yamato Combos.
- Practice using Summon Swords as a juggling tool. Switching projectiles to a different button can be ideal. R1 or RT or whatever the equivalent is on an Xbox controller is a pretty common solution.

Anyway, speaking of weapon switching, a slightly random DMC5 hope: I hope they give Vergil and Lady a fourth weapon so D-Pad weapon switching will be viable. I want triple weapon wheel scrolling/shuffling to be a thing of the past.

A bit of my rough run, but can you guys give me some pointers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3k7DQU3sz4

Switch off super mode firstly. It doesnt help.
Mess around and switch weapons often. Find attacks that transition well together or you think look cool.
Learn the Just Cut timings for a few moves if you havent already. They add diversity to the gameplay.
As already said above, Judgement Cut End is more of a finisher due to how slow it is, its an insta win button.
Summoned Swords can do wonders.They are mainly used for setup. If you do use Super Vergil it should be for Summoned Swords or for his Trick Down ability.
For areas that you can Practice in i would recommend the first 2 rooms of Mission 12 on SOS diffculty or DMD.

ShinMaruku

Summoned Swords is mainly why I do mess with super Vergil, but will eventually try base Vergil.

I'll look into the other pointer.s :)

Rean

Do you guys use a customized control layout per character or just stick with the default controls? I've just been using the regular controls myself.

i haven't really put much time into dante so i have no idea what the hell i'm gonna do about the d-pad situation. right now i just move with my thumb real fast from analog stick to dpad but i get the feeling that doesn't work with the super technical stuff
I've been having trouble going to dark slayer and then to a different style afterwards with the dpad. Some more practice will probably fix that though.

Seyavesh

Do you guys use a customized control layout per character or just stick with the default controls? I've just been using the regular controls myself.

default for everyone with weird bad grip i should probably adjust- i use my ring finger to press down on the right trigger (on 360 pad), middle finger to hold onto lockon and pointer/thumb to press face buttons

i haven't really put much time into dante so i have no idea what the hell i'm gonna do about the d-pad situation. right now i just move with my thumb real fast from analog stick to dpad but i get the feeling that doesn't work with the super technical stuff

Sesha

I've been playing with a keyboard for all things DMC for the past two years, so I don't really remember what buttons I used to switch around, but I most commonly switched gunfire to one of the shoulder buttons.

Been playing default for everyone, but I should really change it at least for Nero. That charge is too vital to not use in conjunction with everything else.

+1 to a fourth Vergil weapon/d pad switching too. I dislike the cycling, and I'm still too used to DMC3SEs order (Yamato > Beowulf > Force Edge). If I could choose, I'd give Vergil a dagger or something, and make it work in conjunction with the Concentration meter for a good risk-reward type deal.

gunbo13

I have multiple control configs. Vergil iirc is [ ] jump, /\ melee, O tele, X DT, L1 swords. It's mostly the same for other characters. The variation isn't as bad as DMC3:SE, which requires way too many configs to be effective, especially with dumb ass Dante.

Sesha

+1 to a fourth Vergil weapon/d pad switching too. I dislike the cycling, and I'm still too used to DMC3SEs order (Yamato > Beowulf > Force Edge). If I could choose, I'd give Vergil a dagger or something, and make it work in conjunction with the Concentration meter for a good risk-reward type deal.

I'm hoping for a spear, personally. A spear is probably the most requested weapon type among the ones we haven't seen before. A regular old spear would be pretty boring for Dante, but Vergil can rock less stylized and crazy weapons pretty well, and it's probably the one weapon that would fit him the most besides what we've already seen him with. Besides, he needs something more to differentiate him from the other characters, and a polearm would do nicely.

I'm hoping for a spear, personally. A spear is probably the most requested weapon type among the ones we haven't seen before. A regular old spear would be pretty boring for Dante, but Vergil can rock less stylized and crazy weapons pretty well, and it's probably the one weapon that would fit him the most besides what we've already seen him with. Besides, he needs something more to differentiate him from the other characters, and a polearm would do nicely.
Give me dual weapons and cereberus back... Vergil should have gotten his default force edge yamato combo back, New one feels too Dante like.

Sesha

I'd rather they give Trish her MvC3 moves, and ideally expand upon her trap mechanics by giving her a Trapster style with a dedicated button. They said they wanted Trish to be a simple character with no weapon switching, and I prefer it if they just expand on her existing move set instead of giving her new weapons.

Give me dual weapons and cereberus back... Vergil should have gotten his default force edge yamato combo back, New one feels too Dante like.

I'd like them to add classic weapons as post-launch DLC for DMC5. We don't need a gauntlet situation where we have new weapons that play the same as old ones.

give that boy a naginata

Oh yeah. That's almost better for Vergil than a spear. I never even considered that.

brb, off telling Itsuno on twitter to give Bajiru a naginata.

TreIII

Oh yeah. That's almost better for Vergil than a spear. I never even considered that.

brb, off telling Itsuno on twitter to give Bajiru a naginata.

Yeah, Naginata/Glaive would be a fun weapon for Vergil to have. And after seeing such a weapon utilized in W101 and Bayo2 to various degrees (not to mention how much mileage spear/naginata-type weapons get in BASARA), I'd love to see what Itsuno's crew can do with it.

And hey, maybe they can cite BASARA and give Vergil a nice "Insect Glaive" and Hunter DLC skins from MH, to boot.

I reckon Nero should get one of those mechanical Lances the Angelos had , i second the idea of old-weapons making a reappearance. Would love to see Alastor back!

I'd also like to see a scythe or even a Gunblade type weapon that functions like Nero's Red Queen Exceed system.

Haha, yeah lets give Vergil teleports and a long reach weapon. Don't get me wrong, he'd rock the shit out of it, but he'd annihilate everything in the area. That's why I suggested the dagger, we can finally give him his parry move and have a decent balance out of it. Dante can have his demonic pool cue.

Nero can tear off a literal demon arm and wield it in his normal arm. Would make quite a sight.

Seyavesh

i always saw it as dante having a more well-rounded offensive/defensive moveset combination, with quicksilver and doppelganger even falling into those categories (quicksilver being defensive oriented, doppelganger being offensive oriented) while vergil was all offense all the time, so giving him a parry or whatever would be against his character

idk though, i'd prefer if he just got more and more and more yamato moves over a new weapon- i definitely view him as a super minimalist character in terms of equipment, even moreso than trish who literally only uses one weapon. like yeah, he's shown to use force edge and beowulf too but in really limited manners

Sesha

He doesn't need a massive, expansive tool set like Dante, but they need to give him something new if they're gonna keep wheeling him back in. He's had a similar move set across the entire series, even DmC. The way I see it, he kind of got a new weapon in DMC3, and if they're going to bring him back for DMC5 then he should obtain at least one other weapon.

And if they give him and other characters a fourth weapon OTF, they can finally drop the weapon cycling.

Haha, yeah lets give Vergil teleports and a long reach weapon. Don't get me wrong, he'd rock the shit out of it, but he'd annihilate everything in the area. That's why I suggested the dagger, we can finally give him his parry move and have a decent balance out of it. Dante can have his demonic pool cue.

Nero can tear off a literal demon arm and wield it in his normal arm. Would make quite a sight.

He's already got long range weapons covered with Summon Swords. Vergil is gonna be OP regardless. I'd like him to have a weapon that is flashy and different from anything we've seen in the series before.

I've been having trouble going to dark slayer and then to a different style afterwards with the dpad. Some more practice will probably fix that though.

For Dante
Trickster - L1
Devil Trigger - Up

It was a gamechanger for me

Top Bottom