• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Sesha

I really like Roundtrip tracking/sticking to a flailing enemy. Looks very cool. Same with V-Divider grinding against the wall yet still hitting.

Could be a good idea to step back for a while. Sometimes ideas just pop up.

Also, what track did you use? Sounds very Trish-appropriate.

PantsuJo

I have a question, I think it's the only right place to ask. The vanilla version of Dmc4 have a light graphics engine for a modern pc and on my notebook the benchmark goes at 90 fps lol (Intel i3 1.9ghz, HD4000, 4 Gb ram)... But what about this new edition?
I've read that the minimum req. are higher than before... Can I run it with this hardware?
Is not the same engine only "refreshed" but a new one?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I have a question, I think it's the only right place to ask. The vanilla version of Dmc4 have a light graphics engine for a modern pc and on my notebook the benchmark goes at 90 fps lol (Intel i3 1.9ghz, HD4000, 4 Gb ram)... But what about this new edition?
I've read that the minimum req. are higher than before... Can I run it with this hardware?
Is not the same engine only "refreshed" but a new one?

The reqs. are higher. I believe DMC4SE is running on MT Framework 2.0 and has higher res textures, more effects, motion blur, depth of field, etc.

Basically, being able to run DMC4 does not guarantee being able to run DMC4SE. Remember that you can always get a Steam refund if the game doesn't run properly.

PantsuJo

The reqs. are higher. I believe DMC4SE is running on MT Framework 2.0 and has higher res textures, more effects, motion blur, depth of field, etc.

Basically, being able to run DMC4 does not guarantee being able to run DMC4SE. Remember that you can always get a Steam refund if the game doesn't run properly.
Oh right i can get a refund! Ok thanks. I'll give a try next Steam sales, hope to see a big price cut

Golnei

Though most, if not all of those effects can be disabled on PC. The end result is still not as well-optimised as the original, but it still should be a fairly noticeable improvement.

Seyavesh

I really like Roundtrip tracking/sticking to a flailing enemy. Looks very cool. Same with V-Divider grinding against the wall yet still hitting.

Could be a good idea to step back for a while. Sometimes ideas just pop up.

Also, what track did you use? Sounds very Trish-appropriate.

yeah, i think they're super cool too but i can't come up with a combo that really makes use of 'em in exciting ways.

also the song is 'soft collision' from mighty switch force:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV-6nEwMuf4

Sesha

I ran DMC4SE on a pretty ok PC and it ran fine as long as I turned off all the bells and whistles effects. If you can run DMC4 on full without problems then 4SE should be doable as well, as long as the God Rays and so are turned off.

yeah, i think they're super cool too but i can't come up with a combo that really makes use of 'em in exciting ways.

also the song is 'soft collision' from mighty switch force:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV-6nEwMuf4

Thanks. I get a TvC vibe from it. I really need to play MSF sometime.

Do you guys use a customized control layout per character or just stick with the default controls? I've just been using the regular controls myself.

Xbox One Layout:

Lock-on Type: 3 (this is for Nero player as it allows for Reverse Streak)

Nero:
X - Melee Attack
RT - Gun Attack
A - Jump
B - Devil Bringer
Y - Devil Trigger
RB - Lock-on
LT - Exceed
LB - Change Target
View - Taunt

Jump is close to Melee and Devil Bringer, allowing for easy thumb sliding for jump cancels.
b51UVTE.png

Having gun set to any of the free buttons (in this case RT) keeps shooting off the face buttons.
Devil Trigger is its own attack that takes priority over every other move so it doesn't need to be as easily accessible.
LB isn't used for anything and I hate clicking in a stick to change target. May as well used LB

Dante:
X - Melee
Y - Gun Attack
A - Jump
B - Style Action
RT - Devil Trigger
RB - Lock-on
LB - Change gun
LB - Change Arms
DPad Up - Trickster
DPad Right - Sword Master
DPad Down - Royal Guard
Dpad Left - Gunslinger
LS In - Change Target
RS In - Reset Camera
View - Taunt

Same with Nero, both melee attacks are close to the Jump button allowing for jump cancel thumb sliding.
The controller is divided into two parts.
sZNPWAw.png

It's the same thinking behind my DmC layout for Dante (and also Vergil).
One side is dedicated for changes in Dantes state( the style he is in, the weapons he is using) while the right side is dedicated to performing an action.
I've heard having shoot on RT is a good option.

Vergil:
X - Melee Attack
RT - Range Attack
A - Jump
Y - Trick Action
RB - Lock-on
DPad Down - Devil Trigger
LB - Cycle weapons forward
LT - Cycle weapons back
LS In - Change target
View - Taunt

This basically because I play DmC Vergil. The dodge button being on Y makes for an easy transfer to DMC4.
This also applies to shoot which in which DmC also uses RT to shoot.
DMC4 Vergil is a mess though.
*B button not used

Lady:
X - Melee Attack
RT - Gun Attack
A - Jump
B - Wire Action
RB - Lock-on
DPad Down - Burst Attack
LB - Cycle guns forward
LT - Cycle guns back
LS In - Change target
View - Taunt

Same with Nero, easy thumb sliding from jump to her attacks. Same with everyone else, being able to shoot with RT with the characters overall allows for more control over shooting since you're not using a face button. Like Nero, a finger dedicated it to charging and holding shoot.
Burst Attack can be assigned anywhere
*Y button not used

Trish:
X - Melee Attack
Y - Gun Attack
A - Jump
B - Sparda Action
LB Devil Trigger
RB - Lock-on
LS In - Change target
View - Taunt

Trish has the same action style as Dante with two melee attacks being near his jump, so it makes for easy thumb sliding on her attack.
LB for Devil Trigger because her (Vergil and Dantes) DT are character transitions which means you can easy tap into DT with LB without having to let go of any left stick analogue movement.

Keep in mind there is no right or wrong way to play characters, nor is there a right or wrong way to set your control layout. This is just my layout and why it's structured as such.

Finally got the 'Down a Notch' trophy. Wasted an hour trying with Nero and then Lady gets the job done in 20 mins. I dont recommend attempting it on DMD though. Dante just seems to go full troll mode.

gunbo13

heads up, new sakaki combo vid w/ all the new chars
it's fucking ridiculous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbfWY-3EKoE
We have found the One. The one who can make Lady look semi-stylish. Bravo.

Best Vergil I have seen yet. He plays how I imagined he could be played with enough practice. I could do without the Trish-like stuff but his traversal is spot on.

EDIT:
Also too much on the frost bounce back even though it is a very cool side effect.

Sesha

Kobayashi has said things that were blatantly untrue before. dontbelievehislies.jpg

And remember Inafune saying months before DmC was announced that DMC5 would be tailor-made to what fans want.

what other answer could he possibly give lol

"oh yeah we're making dmc5"

*immediately gets fired*

This.

From this Siliconera article (which cites Dengeki's 600th issue) comes this tidbit from Kobayashi:

- http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/0...l-7-no-plans-for-a-new-devil-may-cry-for-now/

..."For now".
3AQmK.gif

New-Orleans-Saints-Coach-Rob-Ryan-Upset-on-Sidelines.gif

what other answer could he possibly give lol

"oh yeah we're making dmc5"

*immediately gets fired*

He could have been like Itsuno, who when asked about DMC5 just laughs it away or smiles instead of straight up saying "no plans"

Kobayashi has said things that were blatantly untrue before. dontbelievehislies.jpg

I hope you are right man....

Golnei

At the moment, it's easy enough to believe DMC5 just isn't at a stage where it can be announced. It's in a year or two when we still keep hearing the same PR deflections that we should worry it's gone the way of Darkstalkers and Rival Schools. Or that it's disappeared into Panta Rhei's gaping maw, never to be seen again...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
At the moment, it's easy enough to believe DMC5 just isn't at a stage where it can be announced. It's in a year or two when we still keep hearing the same PR deflections that we should worry it's gone the way of Darkstalkers and Rival Schools. Or that it's disappeared into Panta Rhei's gaping maw, never to be seen again...

Absolutely. I don't doubt this for a second.

Seyavesh

REmake 2's initial interest check was literally a facebook poll. it's radically different in that department vs. DMC4SE just appearing at the end of the DmCDE trailer out of the blue and reigniting everyone's hopes

ps here's 2 more trish combos. i don't think i'll ever had a real combo video because i can't help just posting up combos i like immediately, haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fezqfSXwReM

Sesha

REmake 2's initial interest check was literally a facebook poll. it's radically different in that department vs. DMC4SE just appearing at the end of the DmCDE trailer out of the blue and reigniting everyone's hopes

ps here's 2 more trish combos. i don't think i'll ever had a real combo video because i can't help just posting up combos i like immediately, haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fezqfSXwReM

I like the second one quite a bit. Really nice taunt set up.

It's probably a combination of this and that they don't want to announce the game too early. Most publishers are starting to announce their games within a year of its release. Capcom did the same with RE6. They probably don't want the same scenario as DmC, which was announced in September 2010 and released January 2013, almost 2.5 years later. It's probably cheaper and easier in terms of marketing not having to spend over two years talking about and showing off the game.

For example with REmake 2, I don't expect to hear much about it before the game is maybe 1.5 years off.

Edit: I found some examples of publishers saying "no plans" and it turned out they were full of shit: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...nline-2-english-no-plans-but-relax/#/slide/10

Also, remember Atlus USA swearing just a few weeks ago that Persona 5 would be launching in 2015.

Seyavesh

Nelo Angelo to separate from Vergil to become its own entity and will be the final boss of DMC5 who is going to be so powerful that it would require Dante plus Vergil to take him down!

im down for this
also noting that dante does round trip, vergil catches it and throws it back for that attack

holy shit pxz2 please come out on something i own

TreIII

Nelo Angelo to separate from Vergil to become its own entity and will be the final boss of DMC5 who is going to be so powerful that it would require Dante plus Vergil to take him down!

This would make me so happy. And hey, if they wanted to truly make Cursed Vergil/Nelo Angelo into his own character again (and not just a costume swap with a Sparda DT), so much the better~!

I could see Vergil and Nelo Angelo becoming two seperate entities. Would give Vergil a chance to return as himself.

It's really easy to write Nelo Angelo as Mundus' top lieutenant that posessed Vergil and defeating him freed Vergil's soul or whatever. I'm more curious about how he'd go about getting Yamato back. Full on fight with his son? Team up temporarily to take on whatever main villain they concoct for DMC5? He might just ignore it entirely and go after the Sparda.

Either way, Vergil will need a temporary weapon.

Seyavesh

Alastor and Ifrit.

Yeah, I said it!

vergil without a katana??
madness

also here's some dumb combos that try to use the shotgun as the main thing since it's my favorite weapon in DMC. they're pretty wack but i've also yet to see anything like 'em either (though admittedly i haven't looked very hard)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4aoSpKzp38

the dmc4 ones are like, deceptively hard in terms of precision. well, at least for me anyhow

Sesha

What the Shotgun needs is an aerial Gunstinger. That and increased knockback on its shots.

As for Vergil, whatever ends up bringing him back, the Devil Bringer or Nero's blood and Yamato are probably necessary for that, if I were to guess at a clichéd resurrection ritual of some kind.

That would be cool. A lot better than The Return of Mundus 2: Curayzee Boogaloo that DMC4 was seemingly building up to with the angel-themed enemies, the Savior, the Mundus Vivendi ("Mundus lives") sign and the presence of a lot of Mundus-related demons like Assaults/Frosts and Berial.

Then, Nelo absorbs Credo's soul and starts using Credo's angelic weapons along with his greatsword.

I call it the Vergil singularity.

Seyavesh

i think the shotgun would be fine if it was dmc3 status again

seriously, the dmc3 shotgun is super fun and powerful- it's easily my favorite DMC weapon for a reason. it's got incredible purpose in terms of damage dealing, crowd control and movement while also maintaining the speed and versatility of e&i to some degree (unlike spiral and kalina ann)
i think i already went into it earlier in this thread but coyote has a ton of things going against it in general but the biggest thing is simply that it doesn't convey a sense of 'power' when you use it- just flailing around spewing bullets everywhere in dmc3 is extremely satisfying and it's design in every single way is perfect.
it may only ultimately have 2 moves in dmc3 but those 2 moves alongside the charged shot are all you need to really make the weapon work- fireworks provides a quick crowd control option that effectively gets enemies away from you. it has blind spots, but the blind spots are based off timing and not simply having gaps in the firing coverage.
more importantly, it covers the forward area of the fireworks multiple times still so you're not sacrificing coverage- merely speed and raw damage (the shots won't concentrate on the enemy, just hit them)

the reason shotgun stinger works isn't simply because it gives an additional grounded movement option but specifically because of point blank- that move and it's difficulty to execute work as a manner of giving the shotgun serious firepower (iirc it does more than real impact at S rank) in exchange for significant commitment. you're standing in place to fire 1-3 shots after the stinger alongside having a pretty hard mash to get the shots out. it's even harder when considering that you can hold the charge on your regular shots to get up to 6(!!) charged shots with the shotgun.

backslide is cool but the definition of a useless move that exists only to style. it's a nice additional bit of flair but overall not a necessity.
seriously though the coyote makes me so sad every time i use it. at least it's got a cool name.
a big reason why i think that fireworks should be the only shotgun air style move is because doing quick hops with fireworks is a very real thing in dmc3

edit:
all these words and i could just communicate why the dmc3 shotgun is basically perfect with a small video clip of gameplay, haha

Sesha

Gunslinger in 4 is disappointing in general. No Crazy Combos, no Artemis or anything equivalent, gunfire looks and sounds off and is weaker overall, Fireworks can't be extended, etc. Also a personal peeve but Rainstorm's animations isn't as cool. I loved how Dante's coat wraps around him mid-animation.

Honeycomb Fire was a great addition and is basically a Crazy Combo, but it's not the same without Wild Stomp and Point Blank. One of the greatest additions to 3s combat system was situational moves like Crazy Combos, Wall Hike and Pole Swing, but Dante in 4 lacks that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I just bought the DMC4 OST from the Capcom booth at NYCC for $5. :3

I think everyone agrees that while DMC4 Dante has more at his disposal at any given time, DMC3's Dante has a more complete and robust moveset per weapon and style. And DMC4 has no context sensitive or environment interaction actions for Dante. I'm sure that Nero's inclusion plays no small part in his truncated movelist.

Guns should feel way more impactful than they do in DMC4, and they should have more unique juggling and knockback properties, kind of like Trish's variations on Pandora. Damage wise, I think they're ok.

Top Bottom