• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

It's almost a running gag at this point to give hilarious amounts of evidence that Nero is Vergil's son without actually saying it in game/novel. Glad for the confirmation though.

gunbo13

80% finished (Quote to reveal)
CMV looks great. I have just a few notes if they help.

You might have tried but is it possible to shorten the clips ending @ 1:06 & 1:14 to remove the camera swing. I've edited these in the past and I know it is a pain. You want to show the finisher but lock-on makes everything swing instantly. The only other thing is if you could boost Trish's taunt volume higher. It's hard to hear and it much lower than the music volume.

Still, looking good. It's also great to see all the various Vergil play and with different styles. Vergil is very much like Dante in that he supports a lot of play styles. I also call foul play by Seyavesh with all them special effects. And I knew whose submissions were involved when I saw "Brightened up some of the videos." *whistles*....

Seyavesh

I also call foul play by Seyavesh with all them special effects
hey, he did say cosmetic changes weren't against the rules~
i already had to go all vanilla with the official capcom tourney...
plus you can't even hear my hacked together voice mod for that dante model swap too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpieICd7B4U#t=19s

but yeah, the vid looks good! the sync between the clips and music is fantastic, especially given my stupid long clips- i'm extra impressed with the smooth transition away from my 30~ second long trish combo

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
4) Changed the font used. I was using a custom font (Mael) which is based on the DMC font but since it didn't have a lower case, it meant GuardianE looked like GUARDIANE. Or: Guar-diane. I don't think being seen as 'Diane' would be a good idea so I went with a different font.
5) originally one of the songs was a Seyavesh suggestion (MvC3 Dante/Vergil mix) but it was too short to use so I had to change it to another song (Another Max Anarchy song (Sorry GuardianE)

Hah, those other interpretations on the name hadn't crossed my mind at all, but the new font looks great! As does the rest of the editing, of course. It's really coming along quickly. And good choice on the second song. I know I said there might be too much Anarchy Reigns, but you really can't have too much Anarchy Reigns.

Seyavesh

i dunno why this just came to mind but it did- probably since i went back to DMC3 recently to check if vergil's force edge stuff was white or blue (it's blue as hell)
but yeah, vergil's actually got the full unused animations + effects for his DMC3 force edge combo- including the two yamato sheath swings (yamato's first two attacks) that are just kinda in there
the last hit is even updated completely to have a new sheathing animation w/ the spark and whatnot
5pnZwEm.gif

dmc4se is unsurprisingly pretty rushed, i guess- i can't imagine why they made the decision to make vergil's force edge combo a so short/lame when they had the resources in place and ready to go

Seyavesh

New Donguri video with Vergil

He fought almost the exact same fight against Dante. Insane.
oh shit, he's using my mods! didn't ever expect them to pop up anywhere but my own channel, haha
Does Vergil normally have that electrical SSJ2 aura?
nah- i replaced his max concentration effect with that 'cuz i think it looks cooler.
it's on the dmc3 effect mod now because i forgot to switch it back to the regular one when i uploaded my update to it, haha

CMV looks great. I have just a few notes if they help.

You might have tried but is it possible to shorten the clips ending @ 1:06 & 1:14 to remove the camera swing. I've edited these in the past and I know it is a pain. You want to show the finisher but lock-on makes everything swing instantly. The only other thing is if you could boost Trish's taunt volume higher. It's hard to hear and it much lower than the music volume.

Still, looking good. It's also great to see all the various Vergil play and with different styles. Vergil is very much like Dante in that he supports a lot of play styles. I also call foul play by Seyavesh with all them special effects. And I knew whose submissions were involved when I saw "Brightened up some of the videos." *whistles*....

Yeah I gave it a try, but it completely skewed the timeline and was giving me a headache. half an hour of chopping off frames and it causing an issue. Unfortunately I wasn't to take this out. Sorry. Hopefully it's not a big issue for people.

Secondly, nah it's fine. That being said, the quality of your videos is incredible. After I downloaded them I watched them back and DAMN(!). Them be some nice specs and recording software you have. I looked like it was running natively on my machine.

I added the Trish change.
Thanks , been playing a lot with Vergil recently . The CMV is coming along nicely.Good job on the editing :)

New Donguri video with Vergil

He fought almost the exact same fight against Dante. Insane.
Love the use of RoundTrip.

5pnZwEm.gif

dmc4se is unsurprisingly pretty rushed, i guess- i can't imagine why they made the decision to make vergil's force edge combo a so short/lame when they had the resources in place and ready to go
I'm gonan take a guess and say it might be future planned DLC. Much like how people found the Omega stuff in USFIV. I know it's a different team but y'never know. Or it might just be unused animations. It happens all the time in games. I think this might've been taken out due to Vergil changing weapons himself as opposed to the player which might causes issues.
/Theory

Happy to announce that it's finally done too! It's just rendering now.
I'll be PMing everyone with a download link and info for their YouTube video description, tags and additional stuff.

Seyavesh

I think this might've been taken out due to Vergil changing weapons himself as opposed to the player which might causes issues.
/Theory

Happy to announce that it's finally done too! It's just rendering now.

I'll be PMing everyone with a download link and info for their YouTube video description, tags and additional stuff.
i mean, he technically already does this with combo B anyhow- the jetstream and revolver already use both weapons. there's even a bug with revolver to where if you charge during it, you actually end up charging yamato instead, so you can instant release perfect JCs from it (it auto switches to yamato for this)

i dunno, it's just super bizarre that it's unused. it really doesn't look like the game is getting any support either so i kinda really doubt any changes are happening, especially ones like gameplay/moveset changing stuff
trish has a lot of unused too stuff but most of it is also actually incomplete- missing effects and whatnot. that move has specific effects for it so it seems like an 11th hour change.
there's also apparently an unDTed lunar phase but i haven't taken a look at it yet

also wooooooooooooo

edit:
forgot to mention, uploaded a video showing the trish side switch off divekick rather than leaving it in gifs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xos3-C6TOw

Aaaaaaand it's up!

Sending out PMs to everyone once it's available online to download :D

I just found my old DmC stuff on Mediafire from my Dante DmC CMV. Haven't used it in years haha.

I changed my avatar since having Suda51s face looked incredibly tacky.

gunbo13

Secondly, nah it's fine. That being said, the quality of your videos is incredible. After I downloaded them I watched them back and DAMN(!). Them be some nice specs and recording software you have. I looked like it was running natively on my machine.
I have a pretty decent machine despite having older i7 parts but I did get a 970 this year. So I can cap 1080p in fraps only taking out AA and then encode x264. So they come out quite nice.
is it possible to post a thread about it in the main forum without getting blasted?
A mod can be asked. Since it is a collaboration maybe it is ok but will be tough to get out of community.

Came out great. :)

tumblr_inline_ndgqgcrSKn1sev9cw.gif

Oh man seeing that gif/response is a relief. It's almost uploaded to Mediafire.

Glad to see everyone liked it :D

There's still a couple of things though. Naming and description? The one in the link I sent is the one I'm using. It's a mix of the forum motto(or whatever that thing is) and obviously a Vergil reference. I'm currently making a thumbnail to use.

I have a pretty decent machine despite having older i7 parts but I did get a 970 this year. So I can cap 1080p in fraps only taking out AA and then encode x264. So they come out quite nice.

Yeah. The quality of your videos impressive.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It turned out great. Awesome job, Taz. And a big thank you for taking so much time out to dedicate to the project.

aww yeah
now the real question...

is it possible to post a thread about it in the main forum without getting blasted?

I don't think it'd be a big issue. Though, my standards for what justifies a new thread have lowered considerably over the past few months. People make worthless threads all the time.

That said, I think it'd be productive to encourage participation and discussion, so using the CMV to begin an overall dialogue about best combo videos or best combomads might be a better way to approach it.

GAF ' S DMC4SE Combo Music Video; post your favorite combo vids!

or something.

gunbo13

It turned out great. Awesome job, Taz. And a big thank you for taking so much time out to dedicate to the project.
Just watched it. I agree, awesome job bbc. It's a well edited and fun to watch vid. The b-roll stuff at the end is also great.

EDIT
Also could see if capcom unity or other media sites are interested. I've had my stuff posted by FB's and stuff before. We have the majority of the CU tournament winners as well so they may be interested posting the footage. Just need to contact them.

That said, I think it'd be productive to encourage participation and discussion, so using the CMV to begin an overall dialogue about best combo videos or best combomads might be a better way to approach it.

GAF ' S DMC4SE Combo Music Video; post your favorite combo vids!
I think this idea could work!

People make worthless threads all the time.

Also this.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
One nitpicky thing about the video description. It says the OT community "present" when it should be "presents".

EDIT
Also could see if capcom unity or other media sites are interested. I've had my stuff posted by FB's and stuff before. We have the majority of the CU tournament winners as well so they may be interested posting the footage. Just need to contact them.

I was planning on PMing Gregaman after it was completed, but even if they're interested, I have no idea of they're allowed to post stuff using licensed music or mods.

Thanks for the feedback! Very happy to see the response. The thanks is on your guys though, you're the ones who are starring in it. I was honestly worried at first since only 1 person submitted a combo after two weeks of this starting. You should all now have received a PM with details about the CMV.
Edit: I said I could use those extra clips some how :D

I was planning on PMing Gregaman after it was completed, but even if they're interested, I have no idea of they're allowed to post stuff using licensed music or mods.

Pretty sure those guys are fine with it. They've linked my stuff for years and many other people. That DmC Vergil Blinking tutorial was posted on their Twitter which contained 3 Hotline Miami songs. I've never asked for my stuff to get featured though....personally it's awkward but what you guys do is up to you.

Edit 2: If you're interested to know, like all my CMVs, this was made in the shitty free editing software that came with my capture card and paint. ;D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Pretty sure those guys are fine with it. They've linked my stuff for years and many other people. That DmC Vergil Blinking tutorial was posted on their Twitter which contained 3 Hotline Miami songs. I've never asked for my stuff to get featured though....personally it's awkward but what you guys do is up to you.

That's good to know. We'll see what he says. Even if he can't post it, I'm pretty sure Gregaman would be interested in seeing it, so no harm done.

I definitely wouldn't send it if it was just my video, for a number of obvious reasons, but since it's a community video and a community effort, I think it's a bit different. Rather than plugging a channel, it's really plugging the game, the series, and the community that grows out of them.

That's good to know. We'll see what he says. Even if he can't post it, I'm pretty sure Gregaman would be interested in seeing it, so no harm done.

I definitely wouldn't send it if it was just my video, for a number of obvious reasons, but since it's a community video and a community effort, I think it's a bit different. Rather than plugging a channel, it's really plugging the game, the series, and the community that grows out of them.

Eh fair enough. It does sound like a good idea.
I just noticed one error in the video but it involves text. Anyone spot it? It's gonna bother me all the time. OCD kicking in.

I'm tired now anyway :D

Edit 2: If you're interested to know, like all my CMVs, this was made in the shitty free editing software that came with my capture card and paint. ;D

The editing software i got with my PVR2 was surprisingly good for what it was. Especially compared to Windows Movie Maker. I tried using today as i dont think the PVR2 editing software works with Windows 10, very very limited editing software.

i dunno why this just came to mind but it did- probably since i went back to DMC3 recently to check if vergil's force edge stuff was white or blue (it's blue as hell)
but yeah, vergil's actually got the full unused animations + effects for his DMC3 force edge combo- including the two yamato sheath swings (yamato's first two attacks) that are just kinda in there
the last hit is even updated completely to have a new sheathing animation w/ the spark and whatnot
5pnZwEm.gif

Wish they would have given Vergil this force edge combo.. Probably didn't want people to think DMC4 Vergil was toooo copy and pasted from DMC3 vergil.

Just a quick compilation of Vergil clips i captured.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBGkW6SDzxk
More so to test how the new laptop runs when doing multiple things (excuse the music, have been re watching Bleach lately). New laptop runs decently compared to the brick i used to own, might pick up a copy of DMC4/SE for PC for the debug mode.

Very nice :D

More so to test how the new laptop runs when doing multiple things (excuse the music, have been re watching Bleach lately). New laptop runs decently compared to the brick i used to own, might pick up a copy of DMC4/SE for PC for the debug mode.

Also very nice. If you want a good video editor that's free to use with no premium hidden away BS), then check out VSDC Video Editor. It's actually really damn good. I only ever used it once to make text fly around the screen and stuff. It's better than my capture editor, but I know how to use it right away.

Very nice :D

check out VSDC Video Editor. It's actually really damn good. I only ever used it once to make text fly around the screen and stuff. It's better than my capture editor, but I know how to use it right away.

Thanks , will do so.
i like the reverse lunar phase.

Yeah , i do too. It is the only clip in there that i had planned out. Everything else was just on the fly.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Donguri uploaded another video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqTPNVoG7dA
DMC4SE A New Style: True Dark Slayer

Looks like he's having fun with your mod, Seyavesh. :p

Nice stuff, guys!

Seyavesh

Donguri uploaded another video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqTPNVoG7dA
DMC4SE A New Style: True Dark Slayer

Looks like he's having fun with your mod, Seyavesh. :p

haha, yeah- i saw that and the previous vid and was like 'yooo'
though it just makes me continue to wish someone more competent than me would figure out move properties and stuff so that true darkslayer style could be real. just having yamato's moveset on the darkslayer style would add so much to dante
i've pretty much given up on that dream as i have no idea how to proceed from my current spot in regards to that

gunbo13

Wonder if a thread is possible in any way. Cool to see the recognization though. BBC deserves it.

EDIT:
Fixed drunk post wording.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Wonder if a thread is possible in any way. Cool to see the recognization though. BBC deserves it.

EDIT:
Fixed drunk post wording.

I think one is. I just didn't want to make a thread because I already PMed Gregaman about it, but I think it's definitely worthwhile. Like I said before, I think that it's best to couch it into a general discussion about combo vids to encourage people to post their favorites.

Seyavesh

has anyone gotten an ok from a mod yet?
i'd post it but it'd be ultimate low effort "hey here's our video byeee" which would be a bad thread

btw i'm pretty sure lady/trish is going to be a unit in PXZ2 for a really stupid reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEFpzlPpUC8#t=4m1s
look at vergil's stinger in the combat video (he does it after the dmc3 yamato combo a)
he uses yamato for it and he never has force edge on him when pxz is a game 100% about fanservice accuracy and whatnot

edit: he also does helm breaker with yamato which looks really weird

Nice! Looks like the Facebook page as well:

https://m.facebook.com/search/?refid=17&ref=mf

We can count on Gregaman!

The DMC Twitter just gave you guys a shout-out: https://twitter.com/DevilMayCry/status/646724436419153921

Yeah I just woke up saw the video gain a lot of new comments, likes and views.

Can't say it enough, but it was a group project which featured you guys, so it's everyone who deserves it praise. It's you guys who displayed a lot of skill and also helped with feedback on editing. :)

Sesha

Congratulations on the CMV and the mentions from official media outlets, you guys. Stellar work. Stuff like the CMV and the style tournament helps elevate the community in general, but regardless you deserve all the praise you can get.

Now Capcom, give us DMC5 for the love of Itsuno.

As an impartial observer I could make the thread when I get home. Anything that should be mentioned in the original post aside from the people in it?

Edit: Went ahead and made the thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1116416

Thanks for making the thread.

5pnZwEm.gif

Wow. Why wasn't this implemented over the one they actually used? Having Dante, Bajiru and Trish use the same sword combo when they at least had something for Vergil that was usable is just weird.

Is the combo complete in terms of animations, attack data, hitboxes and so on? Is it possible to make it available as a mod replacing the standard Force Edge A combo?

Top Bottom