• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

If we're talking DMC2 Dante with his entire arsenal, there's no question he'd beat Bayonetta. Dude has an answer (and a quip) for everything. He has limited control over time, can summon dark clones of himself and if the worst comes, can utalise Sparda to unlock his fathers image (and presumably his strength). Then there's his Majin form...

A decent Dante vs Bayonetta fight would have to constrain the two to one or two games (say Bayo 1 and 2 and DMC3 and 4 Dante) for it to be even close to a good match.

Dahbomb

LMAO I forgot about OP DMC2 Dante.

Yeah that shit is a lock son.

If we are to believe DMC2 lore, DMC2 Dante beat someone who was stronger than Mundus in his time. And he did it without the Sparda sword. Not only did he beat him, he schooled him while flipping coins.

And not to mention that DMC2 had that Trigger heart game play mechanic. Though I don't think they would be used for a death battle just like Materia are used very sparingly for FF characters.

Where does Bayonetta roundhouse kicking God across the solar system into the sun fit in to this discussion?

Not taking sides, but that seems like a feat that trumps Dante.

Dahbomb

Where does Bayonetta roundhouse kicking God across the solar system into the sun fit in to this discussion?

Dante was fighting Mundus in space while traveling faster than the speed of light.

And it was one of her summons that did it IIRC.

Golnei

Dante was fighting Mundus in space while traveling faster than the speed of light.

And it was one of her summons that did it IIRC.

I think it'd be fair to classify Dante channeling Sparda's power as the same sort of situation as Bayonetta and Jeanne summoning Queen Sheba. Assuming they share a universe, Sparda might have been similar in status to the Madamas before his rebellion.

Depends... we do know that there are 3 realms in the Bayo world, with 3 different gods (Jubileus, Sheba, Aesir). We're not dealing with "the" God, but 3 gods.

Bayo1 pretty much wiped the Jubileus side of the house clean (while channeling Sheba within), while Bayo2 went full jobber mode against Aesir's side of the house, only being saved in the end by a trump card.

So the question here should be... where does Mundus fit?
Kamiya has gone on record that Bayo will win against his envisioning of Dante... but in terms of writing it, it could go either way depending on where Mundus' power level was.

Depending on where Mundus is, it indirectly determines who's canonically stronger between Bayo and Dante.

ShinMaruku

Dante deafeated Mundus twice. Once was in DMC and the other was when he was in the alternate timeline before MDC2 where he bopped Mundus with rebellion pretty handily.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

There was a pretty good sale on it, but yeah. That's really awesome. Bring on the momentum.

I think it was $16.99 in an NA sale but I'm not sure. Regardless, that's really cool.

$18.99, I believe? Maybe it was $16.99 with PS+? Which is still the cheapest it's ever been.

Wasn't the sale at the end of the month as well?

I think it was in the middle of the month, but that's still great for a remaster.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Did anyone even vote for him? Fuck I should have voted.. I'd assume Bayonetta would get in before him because Bayonetta 2 was on the Wii U.

I voted for Bayo because I thought she actually had a chance. Too late now. They should have revealed Cloud before the Smash Ballot ended. The votes would have been nuts.

"Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series" originated from a game that was on Nintendo hardware. More than enough reasons for his inclusion.

He's also in Project X Zone! As many reasons as Cloud.
j4kY22z.gif

Sesha

I voted Dante as a joke. Praise me when the announcement happens.

But Cloud isn't as random as people think. He's essentially representing Square Enix in Smash. Since he's their most popular and iconic character, he's a natural pick, even if the character himself has few direct ties to Nintendo. Capcom on the other hand already has two reps, both more iconic than Dante and with closer ties to Nintendo history.

What we need now after Cloud is a Dragon Quest rep.

"Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series" originated from a game that was on Nintendo hardware. More than enough reasons for his inclusion.

It originated from SMT: Nocturne, which was a PS2 exclusive.

Don't think Dante really has a chance because Capcom already has 2 reps... Plus I don't think he would have won in the popularity polls... But maybe PlayStation All-stars made people hungry for the real Dante to appear in a smash like game? Did Dante use his guns in PlayStation All-stars?

Mizerman

Don't think Dante really has a chance because Capcom already has 2 reps... Plus I don't think he would have won in the popularity polls... But maybe PlayStation All-stars made people hungry for the real Dante to appear in a smash like game? Did Dante use his guns in PlayStation All-stars?

He did.

And yeah, Dante's chances were slim at best from the get go, but it would've been kinda nice.

I've been going back and forth between DMC4SE Vergil and DmC Vergil. Gotta say, I really like this character. Wish they'd make a full game with him as the main character.

I've been going back and forth between DMC4SE Vergil and DmC Vergil. Gotta say, I really like this character. Wish they'd make a full game with him as the main character.
Since people have been begging for a campaign for OG Vergil since DMC3:SE, you'd have to expect DMC5 will come with some campaign for OG Vergil (like maybe his ascent from hell)... Not a full game though

Since people have been begging for a campaign for OG Vergil since DMC3:SE, you'd have to expect DMC5 will come with some campaign for OG Vergil (like maybe his ascent from hell)... Not a full game though

I'd probably be satisfied with that, as I just enjoy the way he plays and his overall aesthetics more than Dante. Looking forward to the next DMC game Capcom has in store.

Wasn't there a bet going on between two fellow Gaffers about which Dante we would see in the next fighting collaboration game? I actually want Capcom to announce Dante for a fighting game mostly just to see who wins :p

Dahbomb

Wasn't there a bet going on between two fellow Gaffers about which Dante we would see in the next fighting collaboration game? I actually want Capcom to announce Dante for a fighting game mostly just to see who wins :p
LMAO yeah that bet was made! Time to track those two down!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'd probably be satisfied with that, as I just enjoy the way he plays and his overall aesthetics more than Dante. Looking forward to the next DMC game Capcom has in store.

Not liking Style Switching. I can't even with you, son.

Okay guys, I finally got around to finishing the list that we were making.

I changed a few words and sentences so that it would feel less "entitled" and more like suggestions.
There were a few grammar and misspelled errors in there that I fixed (still, my English is far from perfect so please tell me if there are anymore of these errors)
Added some new suggestions like more detailed style ranking system like DmC.
A while back someone asked what would be the point of a "Mercenaries" mode in a DMC game that made a think about it and I realized that in fact I was talking about "Raid Mode" and not "Mercenaries". So I fixed that as well.

So, how is it? Does it cover everything that we wanted to say?

Who would even be the optional superboss of DMC? There isn't really a Rodin-like character I can think of. The God of Space and Time?

I suppose it would be a badass scene to see Sparda resurrected just to fight you (he'd have to be silent though), but I was trying to avoid using Sparda as another crutch.

Sparda would be the obvious choice but they can really use anyone as long as the fight is fun and challenging.

Personally I would love to fight against a more powerful Dante from another universe/timeline or something
(read DMC2 Dante)

Wait Dante's Inferno had a training mode like that and DMC4 didn't (nor DmC). Get your shit together Capcom. Everyone who sucks at making combat engines knows what extra features to add, so imagine if a developer who makes great combat finally adds those features..

Top Bottom