• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Sesha

Random DmC news. Thanks to the Humble Capcom Bundle, DMC2 is now the worst-selling DMC game, as it is how things should be, though unofficially for now in lack of an update of their Platinum sellers chart. Currently, there are around 630k owners of DmC on Steam, which puts it ahead of RE5 but behind RE6, which is at 666k (coincidentally). RE 6 and DmC are respectively the second and third most-owned Capcom games on Steam, behind USF4 on first. But as USF4 has had a free weekend, its numbers aren't reliable.

Also, Tim Phillips, DmC Dante's actor mentioned on Twitter that he is going to be streaming himself playing DmC on twitch soon, which is an opportune moment to ask him some questions about his work on the game and how it was to work with NT and Capcom:

tumblr_nwq4t3rQIJ1qlvbp1o1_1280.png

Edit: I realize this sounds a lot like a press release, but I couldn't think of any ways to phrase it that doesn't make it sound that way, lol.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Random DmC news. Thanks to the Humble Capcom Bundle, DMC2 is now the worst-selling DMC game, as it is how things should be, though unofficially for now in lack of an update of their Platinum sellers chart.

Source? Should Humble Bundle sales really count? Technically, $0 could have been apportioned to Capcom for a subset of those "sales".

Sesha

HD Collection counts as a separate SKU. It has sold 1m.

Source? Should Humble Bundle sales really count? Technically, $0 could have been apportioned to Capcom for a subset of those "sales".

I'm working purely off of SteamSpy. There have been more than 100k new owners for DmC over the last couple of weeks. Like I said, this isn't official.

And I forgot about that. They may not update the charts for it at all if that is the case.

Sesha

PGW is more of a Euro thing. I don't expect any big news from any Japanese publishers.

I have a feeling we won't see anything from DMC5 at all this year. PSX still is a possibility. But I don't think they're ready to show it yet.

That's why I said Capcom in general and didn't talk about DMC5 :p

Seriously, I feel like Capcom will at least announce RE7 or another big game at PSX. Especially since they are suppose to have a big presence at the event this year because of Capcom Cup and all that.

Seyavesh

yess fan the flames of hope

also that interview has so much talk about aliens and extra-dimensional beings gahhh
its totally assholish to say that id prefer to hear more about his work than his passion w/ that but thats how i feel

other tidbits:
dmc4 dante is his favorite 'cuz they're both old/more in line w/ his mannerisms i guess
he enjoys doing scenes where he's just talking and conveying emotion since the nature of his work has him doin' a lot of action stuff. so the final scene of dmc4 w/ dante and nero is one of his favorites
he did the mocapping for playstation all stars DmC dante because the director wanted original dante in the game but contractually had to put in the DmC one

i think i got everything?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The PSASBR part of the interview just reinforces how that game was doomed from the beginning. Rather than a celebration of PS, it was a giant crossover marketing campaign where the director couldn't even include what he wanted. Not saying anything we didn't know already, but damn. That kind of game lives and dies by its roster... and well, it died.

Seyavesh

Wow that looks better than the vanilla effect.. I want this in DMC5..
it actually confuses me why they didn't just do this
like, the idea just clicked for me this morning when i saw dante's dimension slash effect
'wait that's fucking judgement cut'

seriously why did they do the ugly bars when they literally could've done this holy shit. leave the damn bars for dante's darkslayer style

it actually confuses me why they didn't just do this
like, the idea just clicked for me this morning when i saw dante's dimension slash effect
'wait that's fucking judgement cut'

seriously why did they do the ugly bars when they literally could've done this holy shit. leave the damn bars for dante's darkslayer style
Yah it seems like a natural evolution of judgement cut into HD..

Dahbomb

Now that's a true next gen Judgment Cut.

Also random question but who would you guys like in a Death Battle against Dante?

I could only think of Inuyasha and Alucard though even those wouldn't be that exciting. I think Dante would wipe the floor with Inuyasha but he can't kill Alucard so he would lose there.

Also thought of Brandon Heat (Gungrave), Dunpeal (Vampire Hunter D) and Vash the Stampede (Trigun) but Dante would wipe them easier than Inuyasha.

Maybe Dante vs Bayonetta but that's way too close to each other IMO. Would be like putting Jak against Ratchet.

Seyavesh

Are you using the rapid slash effects on that?

it uses the sheathing effect from dante's judgement cut (dimension slash)- when he slashes, it does that effect
see:
dJocYpM.jpg

also man, trying to make judgement cut end like the dmc3 boss dimensional slash didn't work so i ended up replacing the explosion effect at the end with judgement cut for a similar effect
VdPUGg7.jpg

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Platinum is freelance, and therefore can be called in to work on any number of properties freely. It's not really surprising. It's just good that they're getting consistent work.

Seyavesh

bg5hfCy.gif

fun fact i just noted:
i'm sure some folks have noticed that letting vergil sheath yamato creates a UI response, even for force edge combo B's ender
turns out it also boosts your DT gauge by a ton!
that's specifically why vergil's DT gain feels so damn high

Dahbomb

bg5hfCy.gif

fun fact i just noted:
i'm sure some folks have noticed that letting vergil sheath yamato creates a UI response, even for force edge combo B's ender
turns out it also boosts your DT gauge by a ton!
that's specifically why vergil's DT gain feels so damn high
Yeah sheathing and completing moves to their full recovery gives your more DT.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Also random question but who would you guys like in a Death Battle against Dante?

I could only think of Inuyasha and Alucard though even those wouldn't be that exciting. I think Dante would wipe the floor with Inuyasha but he can't kill Alucard so he would lose there.

Also thought of Brandon Heat (Gungrave), Dunpeal (Vampire Hunter D) and Vash the Stampede (Trigun) but Dante would wipe them easier than Inuyasha.

I know this is a boring answer and a boring outcome, but I'd still like to see Dante vs. Hayabusa, just to have the character action kings go at it. If Screw Attack did their research, there should be no contest, the teenager in me always wanted to see it.

Dahbomb

I know this is a boring answer and a boring outcome, but I'd still like to see Dante vs. Hayabusa, just to have the character action kings go at it. If Screw Attack did their research, there should be no contest, the teenager in me always wanted to see it.
Ryu Hayabusa lost in a Death Battle to Strider Hiryu and he would lose harder to Dante.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ryu Hayabusa lost in a Death Battle to Strider Hiryu and he would lose harder to Dante.

Yeah, he would, which is why I feel it's boring. I don't really have a solid answer other than Bayo. Didn't know about Hayabusa vs. Strider, though. Interesting.

Dahbomb

I think they came to the conclusion that Strider is more cybernetically enhanced than Ryu and while Ryu can dodge normal bullets, Strider can dodge special homing bullets designed to target super human speedsters. So Strider wins because of speed even though in other categories they are about on par.

Some fans have done a Bayonetta vs Dante death battle as well.

The Bayonetta camp believes Bayonetta will win because of Witch Time so the claim is that she has an advantage in speed because of it. Also they claim that Bayonetta's Climax special attacks would be able to over power Dante's healing capabilities. In other areas it's generally even and they don't expect the weapons to make much of an impact.

Dante's camp believes Dante will win because he has far more durability (survived a direct hit from the Savior/Mundus attacks plus getting shot in the head/stabbed in heart) and speed (when he was fighting Mundus in space he was flying extremely fast based on calculations). Witch time only comes into play if Bayonetta can dodge attacks but if she can't she is less durable than Dante besides in theory Dante can activate Quicksilver whenever he wants so he should be able to negate Witch time. Not to mention that Dante has already beaten an enemy that can manipulate time despite not having that ability himself (Geryon).

Dante also has the upper hand in that most of Bayonetta's abilities are demon/hell based which Dante is already an expert killing where as Bayonetta is mostly an expert at killing Angel beings (which Dante has no affiliation with). In addition, Dante's abilities/weapons are more vast than Bayonetta's.

I think without taking into consideration the Sparda sword and it's powers, it would be a close Death Battle.

Rean

Speaking of Quicksliver, was there ever a reason why they decided not to include it in DMC4? I'm assuming it wasn't in because there were only so many styles you could put on the d-pad.

Dahbomb

Speaking of Quicksliver, was there ever a reason why they decided not to include it in DMC4? I'm assuming it wasn't in because there were only so many styles you could put on the d-pad.
Controller is maxed out as it is. Maybe instead of Darkslayer style we could've had Quicksilver or Doppelganger.

Golnei

I can understand them not wanting to put the work into Doppelganger given the original game's truncated development cycle, but considering a Quicksilver analogue was partially implemented; they really should have made it available to use anywhere. With the way ability refunding works in 4, it could just be an optional upgrade for Devil Trigger, which you could refund whenever you wanted to use the regular DT.

Random DmC news. Thanks to the Humble Capcom Bundle, DMC2 is now the worst-selling DMC game, as it is how things should be, though unofficially for now in lack of an update of their Platinum sellers chart. Currently, there are around 630k owners of DmC on Steam, which puts it ahead of RE5 but behind RE6, which is at 666k (coincidentally). RE 6 and DmC are respectively the second and third most-owned Capcom games on Steam, behind USF4 on first. But as USF4 has had a free weekend, its numbers aren't reliable.

Also, Tim Phillips, DmC Dante's actor mentioned on Twitter that he is going to be streaming himself playing DmC on twitch soon, which is an opportune moment to ask him some questions about his work on the game and how it was to work with NT and Capcom:

tumblr_nwq4t3rQIJ1qlvbp1o1_1280.png

Edit: I realize this sounds a lot like a press release, but I couldn't think of any ways to phrase it that doesn't make it sound that way, lol.

They just updated to 1.7 million for DmC.

I would feel good about DmC surpassing DMC 2 if not for the fact that I really want DMC 5 over DmC 2. I mean, I know it's been all but confirmed that it's DMC 5 and not DmC 2, but I still won't rest easy until we get a teaser for DMC 5. I've been burned way too many times the past 5 years to truly trust Capcom despite the fact that Vanilla DmC still hasn't reached it's original goal after 34 months meaning it would be insane to get DmC 2 over DMC 5.

Top Bottom