• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Well I can't really tell (thought Dan was adding a joke so people don't go crazy over it), but he says Itsuno was talking about DMC5, so maybe they were consulting about DmC:DE because I doubt they'd talk about DMC5 when DmC was out fresh. https://youtu.be/Npd6N1BX2nk?t=14m10s "

I just listened to it again and yeah, he is definitely talking about DmC. He is talking about Itsuno's history with Devil May Cry series, starts by saying his role in DMC2, 3 and 4 and then goes to DmC and jokes about it by saying that they won't talk about that.

Edit: Beaten.

edit: Now I get it, I'm dumb. Anyway, anyone remember when SF5 rumors came about around PSX?

Nah, don't sweat it, it happens :)

Well the rumors started many months before PSX when one of Capcom higher ups (I think it was the CEO but I'm not sure) said something about Pay 2 Win methods in SF V that if I'm not mistaken actually made a little backlash so he had to go back on what he said later on.

But the actual trailer leaked just a few days before PSX. Personally I don't think DMC5 would be announced this year, especially after watching that reunion video. If what Itsuno said to Reuben is true and Capcom only began discussing the next game after DMC4SE was done then it could take a long while before we would hear anything about it.

I do think we will get a new big game announcement from Capcom at PSX though and I'm quite confident that it would be RE7. It's high time they announce a mainline RE tilte and PSX would be the perfect event to do it (You know, being an old franchise that started on PS1 and all that).

Added all the suggestions from last page, thanks guys.
F8WZYOy.jpg

Still I can't shake of the feeling that we are missing some obvious points.

On a smaller note, finally platinumed 4SE.

Congrats man. I'm currently trying to get one trophy at a time and not to think about the Platinum yet :p

The scariest trophy for me seems to be that no damage Dante fight at Bloody Palace, how did you pull that off?

Congrats man. I'm currently trying to get one trophy at a time and not to think about the Platinum yet :p

The scariest trophy for me seems to be that no damage Dante fight at Bloody Palace, how did you pull that off?

Use lady's run on BP to get the trophy.
use only her lvl 3 handgun charge shots and stay the hell away from Dante.

Spamming Lady's handgun lvl3 charge shot during any of dantes attack/jump animation will do the trick. Though Royal Guard can draw out the length of the fight.

Some easier ways to do it are to just slap on super vergil and spam Judgement Cut End or super dante and spam pandora missiles while in flight mode(if entered at the top of the triple jump, then dante remains off screen i think?).

Sesha

Reuben being dismissive of DmC surprised me because I remember him defending it earlier.

I have some thoughts on it but I've been too tied up. I'll try to answer tomorrow.

OniBaka

Maybe a different type of dodging where the activation is like table hopper and it circles around to the back of the enemy instantly and makes launchers and stinger moves completely different.

Seyavesh

the only other char i want with a table hopper like special thing is trish with a table hopper equiv. that leaves an attack in place that maybe launches the enemy (hopscotch from mvc3?), complete with 3x hopper leaving 3 sitting emblems there that aren't super intrusive in the same way inazuma is.

that lets you set up silly combo shit in lieu of lucifer pins while also giving her something interesting in her combat on the defensive side

OniBaka

Then lady's version would be she dropping a grenade down while she backs away but the grenade homes on the enemy rather than it going above them and missing them like in dmc4se lol.

Kamiya is at it again:
I'm beginning to worry that the next DMC might actually be some sort of collaboration between Capcom and Platinum. Ugh, come on Capcom it's been almost 8 years! Just give us a non-rushed Itsuno made DMC5 already.

Maybe a different type of dodging where the activation is like table hopper and it circles around to the back of the enemy instantly and makes launchers and stinger moves completely different.
the only other char i want with a table hopper like special thing is trish with a table hopper equiv. that leaves an attack in place that maybe launches the enemy (hopscotch from mvc3?), complete with 3x hopper leaving 3 sitting emblems there that aren't super intrusive in the same way inazuma is.

that lets you set up silly combo shit in lieu of lucifer pins while also giving her something interesting in her combat on the defensive side
Then lady's version would be she dropping a grenade down while she backs away but the grenade homes on the enemy rather than it going above them and missing them like in dmc4se lol.
These are some nice ideas guys but I think they are a little too combat specific. Maybe later on we could do a more in-depth combat feedback list after we are done with this one?

Kamiya is at it again:

I'm beginning to worry that the next DMC might actually be some sort of collaboration between Capcom and Platinum. Ugh, come on Capcom it's been almost 8 years! Just give us a non-rushed Itsuno made DMC5 already.

These are some nice ideas guys but I think they are a little too combat specific. Maybe later on we could do a more in-depth combat feedback list after we are done with this one?

Capcom can definitely takes some pointers from platinum. But DMC now is definitely Itsuno's baby.

Kamiya is at it again:

Yah I wonder with some of these weird associations with Kamiya (that PSU article + Kamiya asking what game you want him to direct) that Kamiya might colloborate with Capcom to make DMC5 or PG might develop it... I would prefer Itsuno to do it too...

Golnei

I'm sure nothing will come of it. Even if the worst comes to pass and the only way to get DMC5 off the ground is to outsource it to Platinum; I'm sure they'd still have Itsuno onboard as the director, like with 4SE and Access - the disastrous early stages of DmC's development are probably something they'd want to avoid repeating.

Dahbomb

Nothing wrong with a collaboration. Get the best of both dev teams and more importantly it will drum up some increased interest/hype for the game.

I don't think Capcom will completely outsource DMC to PG. It doesn't really make much sense. It's not a DmC situation where they wanted the Western influence which Capcom couldn't provide themselves. What can PG bring that Capcom can't?

All I know is that whatever Capcom plans to do they need to bring the heat with DMC. A by the numbers sequel would not be sufficient at this point, it's just been too long and expectations have changed a lot. We live in a post Bloodborne world now and I know it's not technically in the same genre but there's player base overlap. Would be sad if DMC has less aggressive bosses than Bloodborne.

I don't think Capcom will completely outsource DMC to PG. It doesn't really make much sense. It's not a DmC situation where they wanted the Western influence which Capcom couldn't provide themselves. What can PG bring that Capcom can't?

Yeah, it exactly boils down to that. There is nothing that PG could offer to Capcom in regards to DMC that they wouldn't be able to do it themselves. If DMC and Itsuno team ever need any sort of collaboration (and that is a big if) then it should be with a developer who is known for good storytelling and presentation cause IMO that's the only aspect of DMC games that Itsuno and his team might need help with.

Golnei

If something like that ever happens, I don't think they'll be going to Platinum for anything they can provide creatively, but as a result of their internal staff being unavailable due to other projects.

Morue

I just read the list of features and I was wondering about the "story that have direct emotional attachment".

What kind of plot point do you guys think would make Dante (assuming he'll be the main character in DMC5) really care?

Something related to Eva (like meeting the demon who killed her for example)?

Return of Vergil obviously.

I don't know how they plan to do that or if they even plan to do that to begin with.
Well that's easy. Nelo was just a demon created by Mundus that he transformed Vergil's soul in it. When Dante defeated Nelo he actually freed Vergil's soul which then returned to Vergil's real body that was still trapped in Demon world.

When Sanctus opens the hell gate in DMC4 Vergil uses the opportunity to escape from Demon world back human world which then leads to DMC5's confrontation between him and Dante.

See how easy I got you out of that corner Capcom? You should totally hire me as the new writer for DMC5
:p

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I just read the list of features and I was wondering about the "story that have direct emotional attachment".

What kind of plot point do you guys think would make Dante (assuming he'll be the main character in DMC5) really care?

Something related to Eva (like meeting the demon who killed her for example)?

Dante can care without the plot having intimate ties to either his family or past games, it's just trickier because that relies on having more solid writing and pacing.

Either the introduction of a new character that Dante can grow attached to (not necessarily a love interest) or someone that had past affiliations with Sparda/Mundus are viable options. You mention Eva, and I think she's vastly underexplored as a character, and that's a thread that can really be pulled by Itsuno and his team, especially since Eva is presumably a primary motivation behind both Dante and Vergil's ideologies.

Morue

You mention Eva, and I think she's vastly underexplored as a character, and that's a thread that can really be pulled by Itsuno and his team, especially since Eva is presumably a primary motivation behind both Dante and Vergil's ideologies.

Yes, I would really like to learn more about Eva. We could even get some flashbacks (how she met Sparda and when Dante and Vergil were kids...)

Dante can care without the plot having intimate ties to either his family or past games, it's just trickier because that relies on having more solid writing and pacing.

Either the introduction of a new character that Dante can grow attached to (not necessarily a love interest) or someone that had past affiliations with Sparda/Mundus are viable options. You mention Eva, and I think she's vastly underexplored as a character, and that's a thread that can really be pulled by Itsuno and his team, especially since Eva is presumably a primary motivation behind both Dante and Vergil's ideologies.

I know that you are not dismissing the idea completely but still I must ask, why not a love interest? I personally think that giving Dante a love interest and exploring those sides of his character could be really interesting.

Mizerman

You mention Eva, and I think she's vastly underexplored as a character, and that's a thread that can really be pulled by Itsuno and his team, especially since Eva is presumably a primary motivation behind both Dante and Vergil's ideologies.

True. Eva hasn't been delved as much as a character despite her impact on her own sons' outlooks. You would think that they would bring up more aspects about her.

Alas.

Dahbomb

Lady would've been a decent candidate but that ship has long sailed.

Also the last love story didn't go over too well in DMC4.

OniBaka

Yes I would like to see Dante's love interest and Eva's character explored.

It was in DmC but there wasn't really an impact.

Wouldn't mind seeing a bit grown up Patty (not as love interest of course).

Golnei

Some more focus on Eva would definitely be welcome - given the references in Viewtiful Joe and Bayonetta, it does seem Kamiya had more planned for her character than became apparent in the actual series. Portraying her as a figure with a legacy of her own would be a good angle to take, allowing some personal connection with Dante without forcing the plot to focus entirely on Sparda yet again - though I wouldn't mind showing them together, if they end up having flashback scenes. At the very least, she's overdue to be one of Trish's alternate costumes.

I know that you are not dismissing the idea completely but still I must ask, why not a love interest? I personally think that giving Dante a love interest and exploring those sides of his character could be really interesting.

If Dante gets a love interest, I'm sure nothing interesting will come of it - we already know the sorts of plot beats the series portrays relationships with. Unless they drastically improve their writing department, inventing a Kyrie/Kat for Dante or forcing Lady or Trish into a (serious) relationship with him could only end badly, for all characters involved.

I get that the series doesn't have the best history with love stories but still I think they shouldn't write off the whole idea because they couldn't do it right the first time that they tried it.

And to be fair the problem with DMC4's story didn't really had much to do with it being about Nero and Kyrie being in love but more with the fact that it was a pretty generic and awfully written damsel in distress scenario for the most part. In fact I could argue that DMC4's story really wasn't a love story cause they never really explored that aspect at all.

OniBaka

I guess one way to have Eva flash back would be Dante one day see her briefly walking down a street then he would need to investigate. Could be an imposter or the real thing.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Happy thanksgiving, DMC GAF!

Everything about Eva show thus far (which admittedly isn't much) has just shown her as a sweet and motherly. I'd like to see whatever part of her made Sparda fall for her. I don't want her to be a damsel. Fearless and bold despite her own human weakness. Showing her demise at the hands of a demon, fighting to protect her sons. Like Morue said, that type of thing can be done really well and set up a "new" antagonist from the past that played a hand in her death.

Elaborating on Eva expands on Dante, Vergil, and Sparda by association. It just makes sense.

A romantic interest could work, but Dante has this personification of being sort of a playboy bachelor. Not to say that something couldn't change him and it would be welcome, but he tends to just not take things too seriously. I'm just saying that it doesn't have to be a love interest because that's sort of an easy way out, and the biggest issue for me is that if it's done poorly it could actually negatively impact Dante's character overall. The love angle is a natural easy one to force a character to care. There are a lot of other options. Lately, having a younger "daughter" type character has been a popular archetype (Walking Dead, Last of Us, etc)

Lady/Dante was the best executed pairing in the series, and it became largely platonic in the end. I think there's probably still some potential romantic interest between them, as friends that have some slight romantic attraction.

You have some fair points GE but I still wouldn't mind seeing them go for another (actual) love story in DMC series, I think/hope that they've learned from their mistakes with DMC4 and might be able to give us something special if they tried it again.

Actually with what you guys are saying about Eva I really hope that they decide to focus more on her as well, cause from what we know about Eva and her past, she as a character has tremendous potential for both an extraordinary love story and a heart wrenching tragedy.

And as GE said we'll get to know more about Sparda as well :).

Dahbomb

Sparda's back because he never died and he turned heel so now Dante and Vergil (who is also not dead) have to fight together to beat him.

As stupid as that sounds I would get hyped up anyway.

Golnei

A Sparda/Eva game will always have a lot of potential - I'd even settle for them being 4SE Trish-esque remixes of DMC5's version of Dante/Vergil and Trish, either as unlockable characters (unlikely, but ideal) or DLC (the more probable option).

But in terms of the main plots of the series, I'd rather they gave Sparda a break - even aside from how stale the device has gotten, there's so much more they can do in terms of demon design if the main antagonist(s) aren't all humans desperate for the power of Sparda.

I wouldn't be opposed to him being a bonus boss, though - maybe it'd be like how Bayonetta locks off the Rodin battles, where you have to amass a massive amount of orbs to buy the second Bangle of Time and offer it to the Idol and Time and Space to go back and face him at the height of his power.

Morue

Thinking of it, DMC5 should obviously focus on the return of Vergil. But they could introduce a new villain that would allow a development about Eva in DMC6...

How awesome would it be to have 2 full campaigns in DMC6, 1 for Dante, 1 for Vergil, where they fight for the same goal (defeat the one who killed their mother) while still keeping hints of their rivalry?...

One can always dream... :/

That would be great but I think it could be even more awesome if we had one campaign with two characters switching every few missions. One character will be Dante and the other would be the main villain. Seeing each side of the story respectively and then having the proper build up for the eventual confrontation between the two of them could be quite epic. If done right something like that have the potential to be really memorable.

Morue

Yeah, I was thinking about switching characters but wouldn't it be a pain to readjust to another character so often in the game?

Yeah, I was thinking about switching characters but wouldn't it be a pain to readjust to another character so often in the game?

Well that might be a problem in the first playthrough but it should be okay if they unlock the option to play all story missions with any of the two characters after you beat the game once.

Either that, or let us playthrough each character's side of the campaign separately after we beat the game once.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just my two cents: DMC5 should focus on Dante and there shouldn't be actual character switching mid game canonically (though there should be optional replays with bonus characters).

The main reason for this is DMC5 needs to learn from the mistakes of its predecessors. DMC4 was Nero's story with a guest appearance by Dante, and DmC was not DMC. It's been 10 years since we've had a DMC game centered around Dante, and considering the controversy over DmC Dante, DMC Dante should be front and center on any marketing.

For new players, a lot of the issues with DMC4 can be attributed to the character swap mid-game. It's jarring, potentially overwhelming, opens the door to backtracking, and the enemies are more balanced for one character over another. It also stilts the pacing of progression, since each character will have to gain abilities quicker for their truncated campaign.

Extra characters are practically mandated at this point. It's necessary and important. But I don't think there needs to be extended story segments for the other characters, except for possibly mini side-campaigns or post-campaign DLC. Integrating those mini side-campaigns mid-game can still create issues, as there were a number of complaints about how NGS and NGS2 added some bonus chapters for the other characters mid game.

Top Bottom