• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Akiller

1934409_1264163700263646_8520977272130798699_n.jpg

My only wish for DMC 5 is that it wraps everything up. People keep saying to center everything on Dante and then focus on others in DMC 6, but I don't trust we'll actually get a DMC 6 let alone a DMC 5 (which while heavily hinted, I still don't want to get my hopes too high). I want DMC 5 to be treated like the grand finale we never got before DMC was rebooted. Dante, Vergil, Nero, Lady, Trish, Sparda, Eva, etc. I want them all to play a role either as a backdrop, having their backstories further developed, and I want most if not all to play a major role in the story. All 5 play styles should come back from DMC 4 SE, and if not all, at least the main trio (Dante, Vergil, and Nero). Actually hire a decent writer to write the script but keep the Capcom charm. Sure, that's probably too high budget for Devil May Cry, but I can still hope.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
My only wish for DMC 5 is that it wraps everything up. People keep saying to center everything on Dante and then focus on others in DMC 6, but I don't trust we'll actually get a DMC 6 let alone a DMC 5 (which while heavily hinted, I still don't want to get my hopes too high). I want DMC 5 to be treated like the grand finale we never got before DMC was rebooted. Dante, Vergil, Nero, Lady, Trish, Sparda, Eva, etc. I want them all to play a role either as a backdrop, having their backstories further developed, and I want most if not all to play a major role in the story. All 5 play styles should come back from DMC 4 SE, and if not all, at least the main trio (Dante, Vergil, and Nero). Actually hire a decent writer to write the script but keep the Capcom charm. Sure, that's probably too high budget for Devil May Cry, but I can still hope.

I guess my main concern is that if Capcom tries to include everything plus the kitchen sink, they'll spread themselves too thin and create a very very mediocre game with a paperthin narrative. DMC5 needs to be a return to form in a lot of ways. I'm not confident that they're equipped to make some all inclusive grand finale without it being incredibly flaccid overall (see RE6).

It's also been 8 years. It might benefit them to refresh the long abandoned fanbase and also be able to attract a new generation of players with the story and characters without dropping them in the middle of something convoluted.

I'd love for DMC5 to be as big and enormous as possible. The worst thing for them to do would be to bite off more than they can chew and come out lukewarm after we've been waiting for so long. This is why I think a lot of people are suggesting a focused approach.

Sesha

They need to get things back on track first. They need to sell DMC5 as a grand return to form for the series.
They need to prove they can make a HD DMC that isn't underwhelming. And the focus should be mainly on Dante. It's been 8 years since DMC4, 11 years since we had a new mainline title featuring the original Dante as the main character. We haven't really had a proper follow-up to either DMC3 or DMC1 featuring Dante.
Most importantly it needs to feel fresh. If they do that, bank on nostalgia and avoid the stink of the two previous iterations, they can bring the series back in a big way. Just look at how Jurassic World and The Force Awakens did. The MCU Spider-Man film next year will probably be a big success as well. While those are films, franchise comebacks like that are often effective.

Focus on Dante and to a lesser extent Nero. Leave the other three for DLC or the inevitable 5 Special Edition. While having multiple characters might broaden the appeal, it might risk like GuardianE says spreading everything too thin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V_HEV8Yc04

how about that 4se doppelganger/character switch mod

God bless the DMC modding community.

I really hope DMC5 uses UE4 for that reason. Creating good mods will be even easier. Easier modding might even help grow the community.

I just want to see Dante going into hell for half the game (we only ever see them touch the surface of hell with 2-3 missions).. Give me that Dante winter coat costume please, and fighting/finding Vergil in hell.
dmc4con.jpg

I guess my main concern is that if Capcom tries to include everything plus the kitchen sink, they'll spread themselves too thin and create a very very mediocre game with a paperthin narrative. DMC5 needs to be a return to form in a lot of ways. I'm not confident that they're equipped to make some all inclusive grand finale without it being incredibly flaccid overall (see RE6).

It's also been 8 years. It might benefit them to refresh the long abandoned fanbase and also be able to attract a new generation of players with the story and characters without dropping them in the middle of something convoluted.

I'd love for DMC5 to be as big and enormous as possible. The worst thing for them to do would be to bite off more than they can chew and come out lukewarm after we've been waiting for so long. This is why I think a lot of people are suggesting a focused approach.

True, which is why I mentioned it'd probably be too big budget. Everything is just so tentative right now that it makes me uneasy.

Sesha

Capcom is doing a (JP-only) survey asking about Mega Man 11 and more Mega Man collections.

is E3 the closest time we are possibly gonna get any news on DMC5?
Is there no other events till E3?

There's plenty small ones, but for major ones, we just got done with GDC. Next is PAX-East beginning on April, 22. I doubt we're gonna hear anything DMC5-related there. I expect some rumblings in May if they have anything to show at E3.

Dahbomb

We already had our first batch of rumblings with the JYB and Rueben pic.

It gave us two major tidbits about DMC5: It's deep in development and it will feature both Dante and Nero. That's more information we had weeks ago.

Sesha

Official rumblings, I mean. Like comments from Itsuno or Kobayashi. That reminds me, we're not too long off from the yearly financial report. There might be something there.

Ever since that PS4.5 rumor I have this sick gut feeling and I'm paranoid that Capcom haven't introduce any major title cause either they've been working exclusively on that console or their games will be way superior on that console so they are waiting to introduce them on that.

I swear to god if Sony and Capcom give me a 30fps, half-assed version of DMC5 on PS4...

Sesha

I doubt that's the reason. I think the main reason we haven't seen anything is they lacked confidence in the console market at the turn of the new gen and considered everything not MH too risky and so they were slow in green lighting new stuff. Jim Sterling did a video discussing this a couple of months ago.

That publishers lacked confidence in the new console gen is an important point. Because the new hardware isn't guaranteed to do well, and it will have much smaller user bases than the already established hardware. Launching a notably inferior product on the more established hardware in this case, since PS4.5 wouldn't be a new console gen, wouldn't be worth it.
I don't think 30 fps DMC will happen ever again after DmC. Remember how TribladeX told us about how Capcom looked upon lock-on. That same fear will be there for DMC5, but reversed. Meaning they might consider 30fps something that could keep people away from DMC.

I doubt that's the reason. I think the main reason we haven't seen anything is they lacked confidence in the console market at the turn of the new gen and considered everything not MH too risky and so they were slow in green lighting new stuff. Jim Sterling did a video discussing this a couple of months ago.

That publishers lacked confidence in the new console gen is an important point. Because the new hardware isn't guaranteed to do well, and it will have much smaller user bases than the already established hardware. Launching a notably inferior product on the more established hardware in this case, since PS4.5 wouldn't be a new console gen, wouldn't be worth it.
I don't think 30 fps DMC will happen ever again after DmC. Remember how TribladeX told us about how Capcom looked upon lock-on. That same fear will be there for DMC5, but reversed. Meaning they might consider 30fps something that could keep people away from DMC.
What you are saying makes sense and I really hope it's true but still, Capcom is known to make some pretty stupid choices in the past so I can't shake this feeling off until I see the PS4 version of the game with my own eyes, which will probably take years, sigh.

I just really, REALLY hope that PS4.5 doesn't become what I think it will. I hated cross-gen games when they were PS4 & PS3 and I will hate them 10 times more if they become PS4.5 & PS4.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Exclusivity to a PS4.5 doesn't make any sense unless Sony is footing the bill. And Sony won't cannibalize their own sales by making it exclusive and the existing PS4 install base is too huge. Even if they end up releasing a PS4.5 version, you might see variance in visual fidelity, but they're not going to compromise on framerate. They made it a major selling point of DmCDE and DMC4SE.

Cross gen games aren't really a comparable situation. Think 3DS and New 3DS.

Exclusivity to a PS4.5 doesn't make any sense unless Sony is footing the bill. And Sony won't cannibalize their own sales by making it exclusive and the existing PS4 install base is too huge. Even if they end up releasing a PS4.5 version, you might see variance in visual fidelity, but they're not going to compromise on framerate. They made it a major selling point of DmCDE and DMC4SE.

Cross gen games aren't really a comparable situation. Think 3DS and New 3DS.

I sure hope so, cause I really can't take another DMC game with crappy framerate.

Don't own a 3DS so I don't know what the situation is between that and the new one, but doesn't N3DS run games with better visuals and such? How is that any different from cross-gen games? I'm genuinely curious.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I sure hope so, cause I really can't take another DMC game with crappy framerate.

Don't own a 3DS so I don't know what the situation is between that and the new one, but doesn't N3DS run games with better visuals and such? How is that any different from cross-gen games? I'm genuinely curious.

Basically yeah. Better visuals for the same copy of the game, in that there won't be competition between the PS4 versus PS4.5. There's also some added control functionality with the second analog c-nub.

It's mostly an enhancement if what's already there, and not a generational leap in performance. This might change as things develop. This kind of thing already existed with general hardware revisions, slim models, and memory paks for old school consoles.

Basically yeah. Better visuals for the same copy of the game, in that there won't be competition between the PS4 versus PS4.5. There's also some added control functionality with the second analog c-nub.

It's mostly an enhancement if what's already there, and not a generational leap in performance. This might change as things develop. This kind of thing already existed with general hardware revisions, slim models, and memory paks for old school consoles.
Interesting. I could get behind a PS4.5 if it only had better visuals (not performance, especially when it comes to framerate) than PS4 but I'm afraid that it might not be the case.

I think if a more powerful PS4.5 was to happen devs would probably start halfassing the PS4 versions the same way they did with cross-gen games on PS3. Especially if PS4.5 was to run games at 4K resolution as it is rumored, cause that means that it would have to be way more powerful than PS4, almost a generation ahead of it and that could provide to be pretty good excuse for devs to downplay the PS4/X1 versions.

But, since we don't have more info on the matter all we can do right now is speculate. I just hope that if there is to be a PS4.5, its more like what you guys speculated and not what I'm afraid it might be.

Oh man I could see the 20+ page GAF thread if DMC5 is 60 fps on PS4.5 console only... And with the amount of microtransactions in DMC4:SE you wonder what Capcom will do with DMC5...

Akiller

So, I've completed an episode in RE Rev 2 and i noticed something interesting:

838c71e074.png

Like i thought there is no proper "DMC team", Capcom just build nre teams as they like. Thats probably why DMC4SE was Itsuno+Access Games, all his Capcom crew was probably splitted/assigned to other busy projects such as SFV,DDO
,RE7.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, I've completed an episode in RE Rev 2 and i noticed something interesting:

838c71e074.png

Like i thought there is no proper "DMC team", Capcom just build nre teams as they like. Thats probably why DMC4SE was Itsuno+Access Games, all his Capcom crew was probably splitted/assigned to other busy projects such as SFV,DDO
,RE7.

Neo_G does a lot of shit, though. He was also involved in UMVC3. He's never been exclusive DMC. He just loves the property.

It's going to be interesting to see how Sony plays this. The thing about Iphone and many other phones is that they are heavily subsidized and can be payed off on a monthly plan. Windows offered free upgrades to Win 10 after the disaster that was Windows 8. Are 40+ million users going to be willing to upgrade after already shelling out $400 so soon? Will it be an upfront payment as usual or is this their move towards "Games as a service"? Or will it be like the New 3DS where it's an incremental upgrade and it just a perk for hardcore fans/late adopters? The 4K comments makes me doubt the "incremental" part, though, since that passes right by 2160p and straight to 4K. If they play this wrong it will be an utter disaster which will split the user base and force many to have sub optimal experiences on a regular basis which will burn through any and all good will they built up after the Xbox fiasco. This could be another "$599" moment or it could open up the doors to incremental improvements over a gen and a massive boon for Sony.

I doubt it has anything to do with Capcom's silence, however. The failure to release Deep Down's beta for over two years means that Panta Rhei's development isn't going well, further supported by the fact that any next gen games they've released use UE4 or Unity and a flagship franchise like Street Fighter needed Sony backing just to get out the door before 2018.

Sesha

Neo_G did Manual Design on DMC4SE as well.

In fact, there were several Capcom developers besides Itsuno on DMC4SE. Remember the guy on Capcom.tv with the piercings and the blond-dyed hair? That's Junya Kumabe. He worked as a planner on DMC4SE, alongside Takuya Tanada and Yoshinosuke Nakagawa.

Funnily enough, Masako Honma was involved as a producer on DMC3 on PC. She's a real OG. Did publicity work on RE1.

RazMaTaz

Banned
We have to remember development cost is also a major concern to many developers, which began from 360/PS3, where by most exclusive titles ended up multi platform to increase the return in revenue per title.

We got DR3 in 2013, SFV in 2016, thats only 2 actual new titles from Capcom while the rest have been remasters if I am correct? Im guessing from all the money that has been regained from making the remasters and their 2 sequel titles, Capcom hopefully will regain its confidence in creating more titles. They are sitting on some goldmine franchises but they do very little about it.

Its the 20th anniversary of RE series and all we got was an interview asking us to buy more RE games.

They've been working on RE7 for what, 3 years now? And they still can't even show us a teaser? Man, if Capcom can't get its shit together with RE which is their flagship series, then how can we expect them to do better with DMC?

I'm calling it. We won't see anything from DMC5 or RE7 this year. E3 2017 at it's earliest and even then I think we might only get a logo for DMC5.

RazMaTaz

Banned
I havent followed the Resident Evil news, so I dont know what info that has been released indicate the game has been in works for 3 years, but Capcom need to show something concrete this year, whether its TGS or E3 of a game(s) they are working on. Speaking of which, I was just reading this article, which gives a good indication to why Capcom havent been pumping out titles as fast compared to before:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ca...8-10-times-more-work-to-develop/1100-6417090/

I havent followed the Resident Evil news, so I dont know what info that has been released indicate the game has been in works for 3 years, but Capcom need to show something concrete this year, whether its TGS or E3 of a game(s) they are working on. Speaking of which, I was just reading this article, which gives a good indication to why Capcom havent been pumping out titles as fast compared to before:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ca...8-10-times-more-work-to-develop/1100-6417090/
That applies to every developer tho, its not something exclusive to Capcom. Other devs have managed to both announce and release their games while Capcom has been apparently working on RE7.

Batman Arkham Knight, Drive Club, inFAMOUS Second Son, Witcher 3 and so on. I mean, come next month From Software has managed to announce and release not only one but two next gen only titles, while RE7 has been MIA.

I think from the lack of any major title being announced, to DD being MIA for so long and SFV being founded by Sony and launching in the state that it did, it's pretty clear that thus far Capcom has been incompetent this gen, to say the least.

Kaleinc

Banned
Ever since that PS4.5 rumor I have this sick gut feeling and I'm paranoid that Capcom haven't introduce any major title cause either they've been working exclusively on that console or their games will be way superior on that console so they are waiting to introduce them on that.

I swear to god if Sony and Capcom give me a 30fps, half-assed version of DMC5 on PS4...
Capcom has no engine for this gen, no way they work on
superior games

If all their major releases utilize sad joke/UE4 I'm gonna be the most disappointed panda in the zoo.

RazMaTaz

Banned
That applies to every developer tho, its not something exclusive to Capcom. Other devs have managed to both announce and release their games while Capcom has been apparently working on RE7.

Batman Arkham Knight, Drive Club, inFAMOUS Second Son, Witcher 3 and so on. I mean, come next month From Software has managed to announce and release not only one but two next gen only titles, while RE7 has been MIA.

I think from the lack of any major title being announced, to DD being MIA for so long and SFV being founded by Sony and launching in the state that it did, it's pretty clear that thus far Capcom has been incompetent this gen, to say the least.

True but also Capcom was having financial difficulty not so long ago (2013 was it?) in which their game development hasnt been anything except remasters of games. Their staff has also reduced, and they are using much smaller companies to do their porting work on different platforms too. Furthermore with SFV only being possible with Sonys help, it really begs the question that is it more then just a confidence issue? Seems like Capcom needs serious funds, and because complexity in development has also increased, Capcom is recycling the "remasters" system till the point they have enough funds to green light a project or continue development on projects. It begs the question what RE7 and DMC5 is being developed on...

It wouldnt shock me if RE7 was being dev'ed on Panta Rei hence things have gone so quiet with the title.

Capcom has alot to answer for, and im surprised a company of that size and calibur is slipping.

If all their major releases utilize sad joke/UE4 I'm gonna be the most disappointed panda in the zoo.

I wouldve agreed if it was UE3, but UE4 is actually proving to be a very capable engine this gen. Whether its suited for DMC, well, just have to wait and see.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
We got DR3 in 2013, SFV in 2016, thats only 2 actual new titles from Capcom while the rest have been remasters if I am correct? Im guessing from all the money that has been regained from making the remasters and their 2 sequel titles, Capcom hopefully will regain its confidence in creating more titles. They are sitting on some goldmine franchises but they do very little about it.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 and they announced Umbrella Corp.

Sesha

They have done more than that. There was also Strider and USF4 in 2014, MHX last year, Ace Attorney 6 this year. Then there was Dragon's Dogma Online.

As for UE4. It's an excellent engine. It's highly customizable, meaning they can switch out any part of the engine they want, like say lighting, and use their own take with it. Furthermore, Epic offers technical support to Japanese devs in order to achieve the desired look for each title. The fact that FF7R, KH3, T7, SF5, etc. all use it should tell you that it's something Japanese pubs have confidence in.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I should have mentioned I was talking specifically about Resident Evil titles, considering the 20th anniversary.

Yeah, I hope they get their act together soon but I'm not sure they can anymore.

Try to have a little optimism, man. Youre going to wear yourself out. Your every post is filled with worst case scenarios and unfounded fears. We don't know anything. Capcom's biggest internal projects have yet to be unveiled, and despite the low volume, everything they've released this gen thus far has solid foundations.

We're getting DMC5. All we can do is wait.

What I see with these rereleases, the announcement of RE2HD, the release of Dragon's Dogma on PC, the green lighting of DMC4SE, and the community centric approach to SFV is a Capcom that is genuinely more focused on fan desires. Hell, RER2 brought back fan favorites Claire and Barry, who fans had been requesting for years.

Their only real miss step this gen has been SFV's too early release, which is something that can be rectified and expanded going forward. It'll still hurt reception and overall sales probably, but they're continuing to support it.

Seyavesh

Try to have a little optimism, man. Youre going to wear yourself out. Your every post is filled with worst case scenarios and unfounded fears. We don't know anything. Capcom's biggest internal projects have yet to be unveiled, and despite the low volume, everything they've released this gen thus far has solid foundations.

well, he has a sf5 avatar so he's probably just feeling the burn from that mess

itsuno ain't ono's incompetent ass though, dude is good at what he does

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
well, he has a sf5 avatar so he's probably just feeling the burn from that mess

itsuno ain't ono's incompetent ass though, dude is good at what he does

True, and I feel the burn of SFV'S networking issues and limited content as well. But I know it'll only get better.

The fact that we're not hearing anything is kind of liberating to me. It might indicate that they're not rushing DMC5 and RE7 because they know they can't afford to screw them up. SFV was unique in that they not only wanted to cash in before the fiscal year, but they also wanted the game out for the EVO and Capcom Pro Tour season.

I should have mentioned I was talking specifically about Resident Evil titles, considering the 20th anniversary.

We're getting DMC5. All we can do is wait.

What I see with these rereleases, the announcement of RE2HD, the release of Dragon's Dogma on PC, the green lighting of DMC4SE, and the community centric approach to SFV is a Capcom that is genuinely more focused on fan desires. Hell, RER2 brought back fan favorites Claire and Barry, who fans had been requesting for years.

Their only real miss step this gen has been SFV's too early release, which is something that can be rectified and expanded going forward. It'll still hurt reception and overall sales probably, but they're continuing to support it.
Sorry man, it's just that as of late all I've being hearing is bad news so it's kinda hard to have optimism. Just look at today for example:

No RE7 tease at the anniversary
Y0 being a 2017 title
Sony closing down Evolution studios
SFV having another long server maintenance without any word on the patch

And that's only the gaming side. My personal life.... let's just say that it isn't going that great, either.

But yeah, I should probably start thinking more positively. I just wish I could catch a break or something, you know.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sorry man, it's just that as of late all I've being hearing is bad news so it's kinda hard to have optimism. Just look at today for example:

No RE7 tease at the anniversary
Y0 being a 2017 title
Sony closing down Evolution studios
SFV having another long server maintenance without any word on the patch

And that's only the gaming side. My personal lief.... let's just say that it isn't going that great, either.

But yeah, I should probably start thinking more positively. I just wish I could catch a break or something, you know.

Im sorry to hear that. I hope things start looking up for you. I just feel like there's enough terrible shit out there to criticize and be bitter about without inventing scenarios. ;)

TreIII

The fact that we're not hearing anything is kind of liberating to me. It might indicate that they're not rushing DMC5 and RE7 because they know they can't afford to screw them up. SFV was unique in that they not only wanted to cash in before the fiscal year, but they also wanted the game out for the EVO and Capcom Pro Tour season.

I have every confidence that DMC5 will probably be something special, even if it doesn't do everything we want it to do (re: advance the story as far as we like, revamp the way story mode missions are done, include all of our combat system hopes, new cast members, etc.). In fact, the main thing I worry about is that in the desire to "return the series to its roots", they'll play it safe and are less likely to try too much different for fear of pissing off fans. I'd definitely hope to be proven wrong, though.

Sesha

I have every confidence that DMC5 will probably be something special, even if it doesn't do everything we want it to do (re: advance the story as far as we like, revamp the way story mode missions are done, include all of our combat system hopes, new cast members, etc.). In fact, the main thing I worry about is that in the desire to "return the series to its roots", they'll play it safe and are less likely to try too much different for fear of pissing off fans. I'd definitely hope to be proven wrong, though.

This is my main fear. I'm not worried about when the release date is, what consoles it will be on, it's development time, it being 60 fps, about micro transactions or DLC, the amount of content after DMC4 and now SF5, how many playable characters there will be, or about if it will happen at all.

Whether or not it's DMC 4.5 or a true leap forward is what worries me the most. Then the quality of the content. Then of how much it's in line with our (DMC-GAF's) stated preferences. Everything else is shallow gravy.

TreIII

This is my main fear. I'm not worried about when the release date is, what consoles it will be on, it's development time, it being 60 fps, about micro transactions or DLC, the amount of content after DMC4 and now SF5, how many playable characters there will be, or about if it will happen at all.

Whether or not it's DMC 4.5 or a true leap forward is what worries me the most. Then the quality of the content. Then of how much it's in line with our (DMC-GAF's) stated preferences. Everything else is shallow gravy.

Exactly. And one of the things that Capcom is prone to defaulting to with the quickness is nostalgia. In other words, I don't want a "DMC 3.5" anymore than I want a "4.5".

And our waiting game continues, would'nt be surprised if they held off until TGS...

TGS is the safest bet, but with how big of a deal DMC is in the West, I still think that at least a teaser at E3 would make sense, if they have something to show off at all. Then the full showcase could be at TGS.

This would, ideally, make the most sense if they wanted to at least say that "DMC5 is coming guys~", but E3 was still going to be mainly RE's show because RE7 would stand to be coming this year.

Top Bottom