• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

If there is a Devil May Cry 5, they've already missed the best window for hype. The E3 with the remasters would have been the best even if it was a small CG trailer. This E3, while not as hype, would have been good because all of the brand use in stuff like crossovers. By next E3, a full nine years after DMC 4 and four and a half after DmC, it will have a much smaller effect.

Sesha

We knew this already. Capcom's not announcing three big titles like RE7, DR4 and DMC5 in one go. Consider that DR4 launches for the holidays and RE7 in January. They need big titles for late 2017/2018.

One thing, though. RE7 has its own dedicated RE engine. That is huge.

Didn't expect to see it at the beginning but after that many crazy reveals/gameplays I kinda started hoping that it would appear. Oh well, looking forward to TGS now.

Anyways, that RE7 reveal was like one of those "HOLY SHIT! WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST SAW" moments. Seriously they gave the series a complete overhaul. Horror was great but not so sure about first person view. At least, Capcom kept their promise of going back to survival roots this time so that bodes well for DMC5, I guess.

So Capcom is revealing games closer to their actually release now, so at least if DMC5 gets revealed at TGS, then it will probably come out next summer or something...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
We knew this already. Capcom's not announcing three big titles like RE7, DR4 and DMC5 in one go. Consider that DR4 launches for the holidays and RE7 in January. They need big titles for late 2017/2018.

One thing, though. RE7 has its own dedicated RE engine. That is huge.

The "one Capcom Sony exclusive" thing gave me a little more hope than I'd like to admit, but that rumor fell through.

And yeah, now they have an in-house VR engine. Panta Rhei really was a monumental failure if they've been able to whip up an entire new engine since well after Panta Rhei was announced.

Sesha

I don't know what I expect from RE7. But that trailer, the footage combined with the song, and then finally with the logo, almost gives me shivers.

So Capcom is revealing games closer to their actually release now, so at least if DMC5 gets revealed at TGS, then it will probably come out next summer or something...

I knew they were doing this, and I expected the release months for DR4 and RE7, but I'm starting to think we won't see DMC5 until E3 2017 if it releases in early 2018.

Dahbomb

GoW4 looked less liek GoW than DmC was like DMC.

Honestly if the main character didn't have the paint on his body I would not have though it was GoW.

The stylish genre is dying and dying fast. DMC5 needs to come out sooner rather than later at this point.

Honestly if the main character didn't have the paint on his body I would not have though it was GoW.

The stylish genre is dying and dying fast. DMC5 needs to come out sooner rather than later at this point.

if you ask me the whole survival horror genre is dying with it too thanks to the first person leap in RE7

I-hate-u

No Bloodborne 2, no DMC5, boring looking GOW. This E3 is legit ass.

Yah none of these games did anything for me. I had a feeling Rueben and Dan were just trying to show Capcom people want DMC5 (so DMC5 is still in the early stages). The only stylish action game I can think of is Nier Automata (which is strange). Ni OH seems more like a dark souls like game.

Sesha

RE7 is first-person only.

I'm scared for DMC5 now. I can't take another DmC-style right swerve.

Bloodborne 2 was never going to show. You have yourself to blame for expecting that. Sorry, dude.

I think I might be the only one here who liked what we saw of GoW.

Sure it's not a traditional HnS anymore but between getting yet another square square triangle combat system and what we saw in new GoW, I'll gladly take the latter.

Bloodborne 2 was never going to show. You have yourself to blame for expecting that. Sorry, dude.

Itsuno won't go wrong. Besides Capcom I think hired the PT people for RE7

Sesha

Itsuno won't go wrong. Besides Capcom I think hired the PT people for RE7

I'm not worried about Itsuno. The man is a genius. It's the producers and higher-ups I'm worried about. I mean, look what they did with RE7. From a AAA CoD/Gears-inspired Michael Bay-action fest to P.T. I'm not knocking on RE7 because there's a lot we still don't know about the game. But this is extremely bold, to say the least.

I'm not worried about Itsuno. The man is a genius. It's the producers and higher-ups I'm worried about. I mean, look what they did with RE7. From a AAA CoD/Gears-inspired Michael Bay-action fest to P.T. I'm not knocking on RE7 because there's a lot we still don't know about the game. But this is extremely bold, to say the least.

I hate the fact that people consider RE 4 a "a AAA CoD/Gears-inspired Michael Bay-action fest " when its not.

This is the second time Capcom has scarred me, first with DmC and now this...

TEW2 save us plz

original_35487136.jpg

Sesha

I hate the fact that people consider RE 4 a "a AAA CoD/Gears-inspired Michael Bay-action fest " when its not.

This is the second time Capcom has scarred me, first with DmC and now this...

TEW2 save us plz

Not RE4, obviously. RE6 definitely was in a lot of ways. You can't deny that. I'm just describing the general story, setting and the gameplay presentation. The core combat of RE6 is of course way different from anything else.

TreIII

I'd honestly be a bit more concerned for DMC, if DmC didn't already happen.

The people clearly made it known that a "new" direction for the series was not they wanted. They wanted more of the misadventures of the classic Dante and friends, and 4SE helped served as a reminder of such.

Like I said before, at this point in time, I'm more concerned about a fifth game being more like "4.5" or "4 done right" than trying to reinvent the wheel. DMC is a brand that absolutely needs to re-inspire confidence again, and unlike with RE, the answer is much, MUCH more straightforward.

The people clearly made it known that a "new" direction for the series was not they wanted. They wanted more of the misadventures of the classic Dante and friends, and 4SE helped served as a reminder of such.

Like I said before, at this point in time, I'm more concerned about a fifth game being more like "4.5" or "4 done right" than trying to reinvent the wheel. DMC is a brand that absolutely needs to re-inspire confidence again, and unlike with RE, the answer is much, MUCH more straightforward.

yeah now in retrospect it looks like it was a good call for DmC to exist before hand or it would have gotten this RE7 treatment. I fear that RE7 may not sell well and will only draw the horror fans who follow games like Outlast, PT etc... and the franchise turns into silent hill like.

Sesha

On the other hand, Dead Rising 4 was a near immaculate representation of what that game could (should?) be, so maybe my fears are unfounded.

And I'm still not convinced that the RE7 demo isn't some kind of ruse like P.T. was.

I remember. You and I shared this concern before.

About the rest, you're probably right.

Dahbomb

DMC5 being DMC4.5 would be pretty lousy unless it's DMC4 with godlike level design, enemy/boss design to compliment godlike combat, a decent story and other bells and whistles.

Isnt DMC3 the good version of DMC4

also

ya'll niggas ready for DMC5 walking simulator version cuz did ya'll see RE7 Capcom aint spending a single dime more than they have to

Dahbomb

Isnt DMC3 the good version of DMC4

also

ya'll niggas ready for DMC5 walking simulator version cuz did ya'll see RE7 Capcom aint spending a single dime more than they have to
This statement pains me because it's god damn true.

RE7 looks pretty low budget despite some nice visuals.

At least DR4 looks alright.... right?

Im hyped for Dead Rising 4 yea. Dat Unreal Engine 4...pray to God DMC5 is on that shit. My theory about RE7 is that they tried real hard to make that shit on the Panty Raid engine, that thing flopped, thought "Jesus we gotta make a return on this investment somehow withing the next couple years...hmm first person horror games Im sure we can do that in a year or two on the cheap"

Golnei

They need to keep their market diversified, it can't be a walking simulator as well. Given the difference in demographics for each series globally, I'm expecting DMC5 to be a gacha RPG where you collect loli versions of demons, released alongside a Sengoku Basara otome game.

TreIII

Im hyped for Dead Rising 4 yea. Dat Unreal Engine 4...pray to God DMC5 is on that shit.

I'm thinking: at best, DMC5 is on UE4. At "worst", it, much like BASARA, may have to make do on MT Framework for a little while longer.

The reason I think they may be willing to go with MT again is because of two main reasons: 1) Itsuno and crew already have plenty of experience with the engine (and there's already plenty of assets ready to use), and 2) it'd be a cheap solution to pursue for a game you want to have out in a certain amount of time.

Considering the kind of results Capcom's artists can get out of MT even nowadays, I'd be fine with it. It'd also mean they can focus on making the game and not have to learn/balance an engine and keep it at 60fps, too.

I-hate-u

From has been at like every E3 since 2013 showing their Soul's games. My expectation for a Bloodborne 2 wasn't that unrealistic. The game came out more than a year ago.

RazMaTaz

Banned
Personally Sony did nail that E3 conference, and if they announced DMC5 as well, it would've been perfect. Granted Devil May Cry may not be every ones cup of tea, but it was the best pinnacle point to get maximum exposure. Devil May Cry has always been at E3 reveals (except DmC) so it is a bit annoying to say the least. God Of War looked good from an aesthetic point of view but the combat looked a little lifeless and slow, but am that game is long off anyways.

What pisses me off is a game that isnt even in production yet (Hideo Kojimas Game) gets a bloody teaser with Norman Reedus, yet 8 years on we still aint got jack from DMC. We have had a Quake annoucement, and a FFXV release date, hell, even Last Guardian has beaten DMC to the punch.

On the other hand,Resident Evil is quite a cool approach but I see a lot of hate towards it to *goes to RE thread* due to the whole FPS mode, and being a PT knock off.

Of course they were going to have Kojima out there. To be honest, he showed more than I thought. Not a fan of Resident Evils direction either. I don't have a lot of faith in Capcom at the moment.

Resident Evil 7 is clearly a result of the general reaction from the press and a not too small portion of the fanbase. Budgets ran high, development teams became bloated, and they didn't really seem to have a coherent vision of what they wanted with the game and began throwing tons of concepts at the wall hoping some of them would stick. And story wise, there wasn't many places left to go unless they really wanted to expand on the world and RE6 characters. They also just might not have a good idea of where to take the franchise. The fact they went with First Person and a complete tonal shift as well as a completely new direction from both old RE and new RE is eye-raising though.

I'm not worried about Devil May Cry 5 since they already tried a similar shift with DmC: Devil may Cry and it was rejected by enough consumers/fanbase that it is down there with Devil May Cry 2 sales-wise. Devil May Cry 4 also wasn't reviled by the fanbase, reviewed pretty well and also had the highest sales of the franchise. So I don't think the lesson Capcom is going to take is that they should yet again go in a completely different direction. I am worried, like many of you, that they will go the safe sequel route.

Im hyped for Dead Rising 4 yea. Dat Unreal Engine 4...pray to God DMC5 is on that shit. My theory about RE7 is that they tried real hard to make that shit on the Panty Raid engine, that thing flopped, thought "Jesus we gotta make a return on this investment somehow withing the next couple years...hmm first person horror games Im sure we can do that in a year or two on the cheap"

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking as well.

I think after RE7 we can assume that PR is officially dead. They were working on that game for what? 3 years? And yet they had to scrap it and go with the Kitchen demo instead.

Also, Capcom seems to be taking comparisons literally so we should probably stop saying that DMC5 needs to take cues from Bloodborne or they'll give us a full blown Devil May Souls next lol

Only half kidding.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking as well.

I think after RE7 we can assume that PR is officially dead. They were working on that game for what? 3 years? And yet they had to scrap it and go with the Kitchen demo instead.

Deep Down is still MIA 16 months after the last delay (missing two E3 and TGS) which wasn't its first delay. It's dead, whether Capcom realizes it or not (according to Nirolak, they are still trying to Frankenstein it).

Top Bottom