• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Sesha

What should the logo or title for DMC5 be? I'm just dropping this out there, as I had a thought. What if they switched the arabic numerals the series has always used and instead used a Roman V for 5. Post E3 I've been thinking about game reveals, God of War (4) and RE7 in particular. If they wanted to really get people talking, like has been the case with those two games in particular, and they have a RE7-style surprise reveal, I figure it could be a way to suggest that the series has seen new life, somehow.

I suppose this is less about the logo and about how they should reveal the game.

I love this part:

"Obviously, a seasoned DMC gamer knows in his gut where to actually look for the game- at the right time at the next best platform."

Well, obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fnMN10jlx0

The final kill dou...

When-Sandy-Danny-Do-Crazy-Choreography-During-Hand-Jive.gif

Time to update that Donguri vs. Credo X3 gif to X4:

instanpuqz.gif

Donguri always delivers. Can't wait for X5.

Donguri needs a game that can keep up with him.

What should the logo or title for DMC5 be? I'm just dropping this out there, as I had a thought. What if they switched the arabic numerals the series has always used and instead used a Roman V for 5. Post E3 I've been thinking about game reveals, God of War (4) and RE7 in particular. If they wanted to really get people talking, like has been the case with those two games in particular, and they have a RE7-style surprise reveal, I figure it could be a way to suggest that the series has seen new life, somehow.

I suppose this is less about the logo and about how they should reveal the game.

I've been wanting to make a mock-up logo for a while now. I like the idea of putting the V in Devil as a roman numeral (since it and Resi are basically the only games that would work like that), but since it's not centered, I don't think it'll look too good. Unless I go another way and make it tiered. I dunno, I'll get around to it eventually. I'm not a fan of changing number styles just because, but (like Resi7) if they frame it as a soft reboot, it'll be fine.

TreIII

I just realized, with Nier delayed to 2017 there are no spectacle fighters at all this year, not counting indies like Furi. This is the worst year for the subgenre in terms of releases since 2011. FYI, I don't count TMNT because it's more of a typical brawler.

Actually? Based on what we've already seen some top-level DMC/NG talent do with Ni-oh? I'm more than willing to accept that as my "spectacle game" of this year. And if it counts, importers have the BASARA Yukimura-den spin-off.

Hopefully, next year will be a better year. Or hell, there's still a way to at least generate hype for next year if certain companies make some interesting announcements around TGS time~!

Have mercy~!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
To totally ape RE7, I really do like minimalist logos.

e8WzVUO.png

Add silhouette of Dante in a pose at the end.

It also kind of plays on the whole lower case m for the other series, reinforcing that this is the classic series with an M.

Sesha

I had a moment of inspiration

lxOGoHr.png

I like this. Edgy, with a DIY grunge feel to it. The colon that ends in nothing is a very bold design choice.

Actually? Based on what we've already seen some top-level DMC/NG talent do with Ni-oh? I'm more than willing to accept that as my "spectacle game" of this year. And if it counts, importers have the BASARA Yukimura-den spin-off.

Hopefully, next year will be a better year. Or hell, there's still a way to at least generate hype for next year if certain companies make some interesting announcements around TGS time~!

I don't really consider it a spectacle fighter. Not in the purest sense. Though you could argue that it's basically hack and slash. Personally speaking I'd happily consider it an honorary spectacle fighter because of how awesome it looks.

Good point about TGS. Last year was excellent.

10 minutes in photoshop:

YtxEBQl.png

I can see something similar happening, though obviously better.

To totally ape RE7, I really do like minimalist logos.

e8WzVUO.png

Add silhouette of Dante in a pose at the end.

It also kind of plays on the whole lower case m for the other series, reinforcing that this is the classic series with an M.

I like both of these. Love the idea for the first one.

I tried something similar but incorporating the M in May and the Y in Cry, but it kinda looks tacky. Maybe a skilled logo designer could make it work.

Dahbomb

I am on board with making it DMCV if only they make the background silhouette to V that of Vergil's.

Just to hammer in the point that Vergil is in fact in DMC5.

We have had Dante in the silhoutte twice, Trish once and Nero once. It's Vergil's time.

They can also form the V in the form of Yamato X Rebellion crossing over in a V shape.

Seyavesh

there is no way that dmc5's logo isn't going to be something over the top and borderline tacky like every other DMC logo before it

de8AykY.png

every
8AwAHfq.png

single
iFQMroP.jpg

one
rDd39Su.png

Dahbomb

Red and black color with stylish font and character silhouette behind the number is a trademark. 4 deviates slightly by making the "4" blue colored but all the fonts have been consistent.

DMC5 would probably be Devil May Cry in red and black with either a 5 or V that can be of a different color with a silhouette behind it. I can believe that they will go for the V especially if they are bringing back Vergil.

Seyavesh

Red and black color with stylish font and character silhouette behind the number is a trademark. 4 deviates slightly by making the "4" blue colored but all the fonts have been consistent.

DMC5 would probably be Devil May Cry in red and black with either a 5 or V that can be of a different color with a silhouette behind it. I can believe that they will go for the V especially if they are bringing back Vergil.

HVjvKkK.jpg

SDR-UK

Just a pre-sale question, what is the difficulty of the enemies on the new Legendary Dark Knight mode? Is it comparable to Very Hard? Dante Must Die?

£7.99 is a steal for this game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just a pre-sale question, what is the difficulty of the enemies on the new Legendary Dark Knight mode? Is it comparable to Very Hard? Dante Must Die?

I'm pretty sure the enemies all have modified health values in LDK, so they die pretty easily. And they're not that aggressive. It's almost like a musou. I should probably confirm, but that's my recollection anyway.

Kaleinc

Banned

Enemies have health below Devil Hunter, bosses are about the same as on Son of Sparda. Basically this mode is bullying a lot of low hp demons.

Zaverious

Felt best to ask here but does the Style Switcher mod fix the framerate and music problems with the DMC3 PC port or will I have to do more tinkering with it? Thinking about getting it on sale.

Seyavesh

Felt best to ask here but does the Style Switcher mod fix the framerate and music problems with the DMC3 PC port or will I have to do more tinkering with it? Thinking about getting it on sale.

yes, though supposedly some folks still have issues.
i haven't run into them though

Sesha

It fixes some performance issues, but it's so poorly optimized that framerate drops will still occur unless your rig is fairly new. It is supposed to fix the sound, but like Seya says some still have issues. I don't know if it's because of the hardware, the OS, if they've installed it wrong, or what. There have been no sound bugs on either machines I've tested it on recently. One was a stationary with Windows 7, and the other a laptop with Windows 10.

I do think you have to edit the config files a little bit, although my short term memory is a bit hazy lately so I could be wrong and I don't have the time to recheck,

As long as the logo has a silhouette of one of the characters in it i'll be happy. I don't doubt that they'll stick with the red/black font either.

Sesha

Take this with a big mound of salt, but I briefly talked to Liam Robertson on YouTube, and he claimed that he heard DMC5 was prototyped. I asked him when this was and if he knew how far along it was, but he never replied again. I don't know what his track record is anymore, so like I said, mound of salt.

Take this with a big mound of salt, but I briefly talked to Liam Robertson on YouTube, and he claimed that he heard DMC5 was prototyped. I asked him when this was and if he knew how far along it was, but he never replied again. I don't know what his track record is anymore, so like I said, mound of salt.

prototyped?

Hearing about all these rumors and teases, man I can feel DMC5 is so flipping close!. Someone needs to release the flood gates.

Sesha

He didn't say when or how far along it was if he knew. If he's in the know and was telling the truth, then we can't say for sure how far along it might be.

But I feel like an announcement is far off. RE7 and DR4 were announced half a year before release. I can see the same thing happening with DMC5. Maybe E3 2017 announcement with a Q1 2018 release. Assuming the pipeline from last year applies to DMC5 and that it holds.

I'll still get hyped before TGS and PSX, but that's when I expect an announcement and not just hope for one.

Edit: So to keep track of the rumors that haven't been debunked:

December 2014: Verendus, semi-trusted insider, posts in a thread on GAF claiming he heard a new mainline DMC title is in development. Also said he didn't think they would announce it "soon". Link 1, 2

May 2015: Verendus, again, posts an E3 "wish list" of games supposedly in development that would be announced within 1-2 years. Despite these two claims Verendus has not provided any further details since. Link

October 2015: Capcom's 2015 online integrated report detailed their main pipeline from FY2013-2017 of new titles for various franchises, including DMC, are planned for release by March 2018. Since then, RE7 and DR4 have been announced. Link

November 2015: Reuben Langdon, along with Dan Southworth and Johnny Yong Bosch, at a Q&A panel at RangerStop 2015, answers a fan question and says there are rumors from people they know that DMC5 is in development. Link

January 2016: Itsuno posts New Year's message on twitter which mentions his new project is already underway, that people should look forward to it, but that he can't announce it yet. Link

March 2016: Gameblog.fr posts an article that comments on rumors surrounding a mo-cap pic of Reuben and JYB that was stated by them not to be for DMC5. On GAF, after the GAF thread was closed, a Gameblog.fr staff member claimed in a separate thread that his editor-in-chief, who has industry connections and has broken news before, heard DMC5 had been in development for a few months. This info is also mentioned in the article. No further details provided. Link

July 2016: Liam Robertson comments on a YouTube video claiming he heard DMC5 was prototyped. Despite being asked when he heard this and if he knew how long this prototype had been in development, he made no further comments. Link

I hate that every other devs announce games like 3-4yrs prior to release and now there is Capcom announcing games 6 months before its release.

Makes me think DMC5 is E3/TGS 2017 announcement. Still I think TGS 2016 is probable with Capcom allowing DMC5 to cook in the hype oven for a year and half. No doubt game is releasing in 2018

Sesha

Prototypes are often part of the internal pitch made by the development team to management when trying to have the project be greenlit for full-scale production. Some times devs will just continue to work on something in secret and it eventually gets greenlit anyway because of how far along it is. IIRC this was the case with SF4.

Don't forget the pre-E3 resume goof.

The voice actor? That was debunked. I'm only including rumors that weren't debunked in some way.

I just realized if DMC5 is not announced this year (either at TGS or PSX) then it confirms a 2018 release date.... which is a whole decade after DMC4

John-Cena-Cant-Believe-What-Is-Happening-On-WWE.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I hate that every other devs announce games like 3-4yrs prior to release and now there is Capcom announcing games 6 months before its release.

Makes me think DMC5 is E3/TGS 2017 announcement. Still I think TGS 2016 is probable with Capcom allowing DMC5 to cook in the hype oven for a year and half. No doubt game is releasing in 2018

The bolded above is the exact reason why Capcom has stopped making such early announcements for their games. That used to be their MO - announce games years in advance and try to hype them up over time. They realized that instead of hyping the game up, it served to create general fatigue on the title instead.

Most of their announcements nowadays are a year off from release at most, and this is deliberate.

Dahbomb

Man Gamingbrit goes ham on GoW4....

And I agree. GoW was one of the few big "extreme" action games in the market and that's been upended completely. It's now basically a cinematic 3rd person game which is extremely disappointing.

DMC5... please save us from these mediocre "action" games!

Man Gamingbrit goes ham on GoW4....

And I agree. GoW was one of the few big "extreme" action games in the market and that's been upended completely. It's now basically a cinematic 3rd person game which is extremely disappointing.

DMC5... please save us from these mediocre "action" games!
Yup, I really hate this mainstream over the shoulder gameplay. I still played GoW games because they had some basic crazy action but with GOW4 I will probably not buy it.. Guess I'll be playing DMC4 for the next couple of years...

Sesha

At least now DMC5 will rule the genre when it comes out. I doubt we'll be getting NG4 for a while because of Nioh.

I just realized if DMC5 is not announced this year (either at TGS or PSX) then it confirms a 2018 release date.... which is a whole decade after DMC4

John-Cena-Cant-Believe-What-Is-Happening-On-WWE.gif

The wait for DMC5 from 4 will have been:

- Longer than between DMC4's release and DmC's announcement, 2.5 years.
- Longer than between DMC3's announcement and DMC4's release, 4 years.
- Longer than between DMC4's and DmC's announcements, 5 years. Or between their releases, also 5 years.
- Longer than Itsuno had been with the series until DMC4 released, 5-6 years. Or until DmC was announced, at 8-9 years.
- Longer than between DMC4's announcement and DmC's release, 8 years.
- As long as the entire series' public existence from DMC1's announcement up til DmC's announcement, 10 years.

DMC5 is, if not quite FF7R/Shenmue 3/RE2 Remake tier, very close to it IMO.

The bolded above is the exact reason why Capcom has stopped making such early announcements for their games. That used to be their MO - announce games years in advance and try to hype them up over time. They realized that instead of hyping the game up, it served to create general fatigue on the title instead.

Most of their announcements nowadays are a year off from release at most, and this is deliberate.

Some people lament the lack of DMC5 now, but if there's a big hype reveal at E3 next year, ending with "release January/February/March xx, 2018", the hype will go supernova (if Capcom does the reveal properly).

The mismanagement of the Devil May Cry brand has truly been something to behold. Rebooted at it's sales peak, the reboot fails to reach its new audience because it wasn't different enough for newcomers and was too different for casual fans, franchise goes into purgatory for almost four years at this point and we are waiting with baited breath for even a title card reveal of either franchise because some Devil May Cry is better than no Devil May Cry.

Dahbomb

Yeah a terrible entry in a franchise can be really back breaking. Ninja Gaiden is pretty much put on the shelf after suffering two bad games in a row (3 and Yaiba).

Pretty sure if DMC5 is not good then DMC is on the shelf for a really long time.

- Longer than between DMC4's release and DmC's announcement, 2.5 years.
- Longer than between DMC3's announcement and DMC4's release, 4 years.
- Longer than between DMC4's and DmC's announcements, 5 years. Or between their releases, also 5 years.
- Longer than Itsuno had been with the series until DMC4 released, 5-6 years. Or until DmC was announced, at 8-9 years.
- Longer than between DMC4's announcement and DmC's release, 8 years.
- As long as the entire series' public existence from DMC1's announcement up til DmC's announcement, 10 years.
Deez stats.... y u gotta do dis son? :(

That last one in particular is really shocking. The wait for DMC5 since DMC4 has been AS LONG AS THE ENTIRE SERIES OF DEVIL MAY CRY (DmC included)!!!

Nope, just like RE Umbrella Corps bad entry only damages the franchise.

If they built off the base of DmC DE, DmC 2 probably wouldn't be a bad entry. That's what I meant. DmC 2 is better than no Devil May Cry at all. Then again, DmC 2 is even more unlikely than DMC 5.

Of course, Capcom being Capcom, a cheap low effort sequel would definitely harm the franchise.

Sesha

I just asked wbacon, the Capcom rep, here on GAF about DmC DE on Steam. No comment. It's really disappointing that DmC is suddenly being ignored, after all this time.

It's funny that a lot of people went all conspiratorial when DMC4SE didn't receive a physical version here in the West, about Capcom being anti-DMC/pro-DmC or something. Somehow it seems like the opposite is true. I'm sure there's an actual valid reason, but I'd really like to know what that is.

I just asked wbacon, the Capcom rep, here on GAF about DmC DE on Steam. No comment. It's really disappointing that DmC is suddenly being ignored, after all this time.

Unfortunately, the chance of us getting a PC version of DE is well past its window. Absolute friggen' shame they omitted both that and a Asian release to save a buck. Frankly still upset by it.

Top Bottom