• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

TreIII

I just asked wbacon, the Capcom rep, here on GAF about DmC DE on Steam. No comment. It's really disappointing that DmC is suddenly being ignored, after all this time.

It's funny that a lot of people went all conspiratorial when DMC4SE didn't receive a physical version here in the West, about Capcom being anti-DMC/pro-DmC or something. Somehow it seems like the opposite is true. I'm sure there's an actual valid reason, but I'd really like to know what that is.

At this point, I'd just wager that there's two things mainly at work there.

1) Nobody wants to bother hitting up NT (or another porting team) to allocate time, money and resources to porting the DE on Steam. If they didn't do it close to the release of the console ports last year, then yeah, it's just too late at this point.

2) If they really ARE working on a DMC5 or something to that effect, then it stands to reason that they may be just focusing on just the one aspect of the DMC brand going forward. And that would imply DmC doesn't fit into those plans, anymore than the various Mega Man spin-offs do, what with with the "new" Mega Man toon they're planning to start airing in 2017.

Sesha

He answered:

Sadly, it's unlikely to happen due to cost implications (high cost vs. potential revenue/recoup) and dev resource constraints.

It really begs the question, why wasn't there one planned from the outset? This at least suggests to me that DmC2 is definitely not happening, or they would have bothered porting it.

I also wonder why they never commented on it earlier. I asked Gregaman at least once and I made a topic on the Capcom-Unity forums that received no response from Capcom reps.

ArjanN

The wait for DMC5 from 4 will have been:

- Longer than between DMC4's release and DmC's announcement, 2.5 years.
- Longer than between DMC3's announcement and DMC4's release, 4 years.
- Longer than between DMC4's and DmC's announcements, 5 years. Or between their releases, also 5 years.
- Longer than Itsuno had been with the series until DMC4 released, 5-6 years. Or until DmC was announced, at 8-9 years.
- Longer than between DMC4's announcement and DmC's release, 8 years.
- As long as the entire series' public existence from DMC1's announcement up til DmC's announcement, 10 years.

DMC5 is, if not quite FF7R/Shenmue 3/RE2 Remake tier, very close to it IMO.

To be fair this only works if you choose to ignore that we got new DMC content last year in DMC4SE.

He answered:

It really begs the question, why wasn't there one planned from the outset? This at least suggests to me that DmC2 is definitely not happening, or they would have bothered porting it.

I also wonder why they never commented on it earlier. I asked Gregaman at least once and I made a topic on the Capcom-Unity forums that received no response from Capcom reps.

It was (kinda)? I remember when Triblade brought some details on a DmC lttp thread a while back. Sounded like it was very much in the planning phases with NT and QLOC but was dropped part way in (possibly Capcom not seeing the benefits in cost).

He answered:

DmC 2 wasn't happening the second it missed it's sales target. As seen with Resident Evil 4 being a revamp of the franchise after Capcom perceived REmake and 0 as a failure and are now revamping 7 after 6 failed to sell seven million (mostly likely due to a bloated budget), they don't take too kindly to that.

On the other hand, Devil May Cry 4 blew through its target and then went on to sell over 3 million copies and Devil May Cry HD also happened to sell over a million copies as well. It's quite obvious which side of the brand is stronger which is why all the crossover stuff has been of OG Dante and why we haven't heard a thing about the DmC movie in over five years. They clearly thought DmC would be the launch point for a massive multimedia brand like Resident Evil, which it clearly wasn't.

Personally I want both DmC 2 (if they take what they did with DE and expand on it) and Devil May Cry 5. I think both series have a place to exist and grow. Hell, I'd even take another reboot if both Kamiya and Itsuno were on board as directors. The radio silence after Tameen's definitive "No, we aren't working on a sequel", the lack of a PC port, and wbacon's answer kind of tells us everything we need to know about DmC 2, though.

man DMC4 had 1.8 million as target?!

further begs the question of capcom's reboot. Never seen greed take over like this.

http://ripten.com/2007/06/29/if-dev...million-units-capcom-executives-will-cry-too/

Kazuhiko Abe, Capcom’s Director and Managing Corporate Officer stated in his keynote speech at the company’s 2007 Fiscal Year results meeting that the title “Devil May Cry 4” is projected to sell a tear jerking 1.8 million copies worldwide.

You have to understand the time period the decision to reboot was made in. Costs were rising, the team was in burn out mode after three consecutive games, Itsuno wanted to make Dragon's Dogma, they were running out of ideas (according to Langdon), there were a ton of other series rebooting, and they were looking at Western franchises like God of War and thinking "what can we do to sell that much". Funny enough, they probably made a more off putting game for the masses than what Devil May Cry 5 ever would have been. Hindsight is always 20/20.

The idea of a very angry Vergil and Nero having to bond over time only with Capcom's level of subtlety and story execution almost sounds too good to pass up, haha.

TreIII

Anyone think we might get another tie-in Anime, OVA, or CGI short to help bridge the gap between Devil May Cry 4 and Devil May Cry 5?

You forgot another "stage play" as an option!
KuGsj.gif

Anyway...I suppose anything is possible! But after reading Resident Evil manga like "Marhawa Desire" and "Heavenly Island", I'd probably be most excited for another quality DMC manga, first and foremost.

Kaztinka

Man Gamingbrit goes ham on GoW4....

And I agree. GoW was one of the few big "extreme" action games in the market and that's been upended completely. It's now basically a cinematic 3rd person game which is extremely disappointing.

DMC5... please save us from these mediocre "action" games!

Kinda wish to see him lash out at the recent TMNT game by platinum
but I guess Vash got that covered
-
Never been a fan of the series
Only played the first and the third one (and the beta for that weird multiplayer of Ascension)
But yeah I do feel like we're getting too many Last of us & Uncharted wannabes and I sure as hell don't want that to happen to DMC!
but then again, the reboot did happen....

Sesha

Oh. Hello. Don't mind me. I'm just here to share this Steam review I found for DMC3SE.

I wanna be the very best like no one ever was
To S Rank is my real test
To play Dante like a baws

I will travel across this town
Cut a demon open wide
Each Devil Arm to understand
The power that's inside

DMC, (gotta S them all) its just Dante
And Vergil but he's just lame
DMC, oh, he's Dante's kin
Destroys the world Dante defends

DMC, (gotta S them all) and yes it's true
I beat it on PC too
Buy this game or I'll hate you
D-M-C, gotta S them all
Gotta S them all
DMC

Decado

Is it worth holding off for the SE? I played DMC4 on the PS3 then picked it up again on the PC...the SE dropped shortly after that purchase and I never really played it.

Should I drop DMC4 and get the SE? Is there a visual upgrade on PC? Are the tweaks significant, or is it just more characters?

Sesha

Is it worth holding off for the SE? I played DMC4 on the PS3 then picked it up again on the PC...the SE dropped shortly after that purchase and I never really played it.

Should I drop DMC4 and get the SE? Is there a visual upgrade on PC? Are the tweaks significant, or is it just more characters?

New characters, new costumes and palette swaps, end-of-mission Red Orbs and Proud Souls rate is tripled, and some visual upgrades including added effects like god rays, depth of field and extra motion blur. There's also Japanese voices.

That's basically it. Some of Nero's moves have been slightly tweaked, although official word is that there have been no changes to Dante or Nero outside of costumes, which definitely isn't true.

Kaztinka

So did humanity ever find a way to make DMC3SE work properely with music and sound effects?
I'm loving the addition of weapon switching to the style switcher mod btw

Sesha

I'll get excited for every major event, but E3 next year is when I expect a reveal. I expect them to pull an RE6/DR4/RE7 with the announcement and release timing.

But if there's nothing at E3, then I'll be seriously worried.

---

In other news, Vergil had a daughter and she's the Blue Team Leader in Pokémon GO:

CoKSMI2XgAABNam.jpg:large

So did humanity ever find a way to make DMC3SE work properely with music and sound effects?
I'm loving the addition of weapon switching to the style switcher mod btw

Worked for me plenty of times.

Kaztinka

oh well...
Launching the music in the background wouldn't hurt I suppose
a bit tedious though

I'll get excited for every major event, but E3 next year is when I expect a reveal. I expect them to pull an RE6/DR4/RE7 with the announcement and release timing.

But if there's nothing at E3, then I'll be seriously worried.

Worked for me plenty of times.

how? xD
The sound engine is literally broken
all thanks to ubisoft....

"There's a good chance, but I don't know what I can say at this point."

...you kind of just did "say it".

"I haven't started working on it yet. I don't know if I can say that"

Langdon is facepalming.

Sesha

Johnny needs to improve his trolling skills. Or maybe he said it like that on purpose. Either way he still has plausible deniability since he didn't technically say yes.

That sounds really hype with Nero eventually finding his own DT while that happens..

Which provides a perfect excuse for Vergil fanboys
- such as myself :p -
to justify his actions by saying that he knew Nero would activate his DT and heal.

This is actually too perfect to not come true. Come on Capcom, make it happen.

Dahbomb

That game looks god damn sick!

They even got the rival character who throws out summoned swords!

Man if DMC5 looks like that in UE4 but with actual closed environments with better detail/art...

*WHEW*

Kaztinka

That game looks god damn sick!

They even got the rival character who throws out summoned swords!

Man if DMC5 looks like that in UE4 but with actual closed environments with better detail/art...

*WHEW*

Ahh shit, I didn't notice that those were summoned swords at first!

if UE4 fixed all the stupid issues that plagued UE3 games, then I'm all in
but I think DMC4 still holds up with its MT Framework, so I wouldn't mind if DMC5 was done with MT Framework as well

also I can never get tired of that game's trailer!!!! I NEED IT IN MY LIFE!

Golnei

If what they showed was representative of a well-designed, rewarding and relatively deep combat system, I'll definitely be looking forward to that game, and not just for the novelty of being a one-man project. Even the (totally understandable) presentation drawbacks could easily be remedied with the most barebones mod support - maybe there'll be a full DMC-themed total conversion mod finished and released for it before DMCV's first teaser surfaces.

Top Bottom