• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Man if DMC5 looks like that in UE4 but with actual closed environments with better detail/art...

*WHEW*

Just thinking about a next-gen DMC is like

giphy.gif

Sesha

The camera positioning and the size of the character model of that game is basically how I want DMC5 to look. I really don't like how small the characters in DMC4 are, or how big the ones in DmC are, mid-gameplay.

that looks good!

also getting revengeance vibe from the combat. What's the status on the game?

No idea. He has had a thread on the UE4 forums, but his YouTube channel only has this recent upload and an old animation demo from December 2014, the latter with only 200 views, and he opened his twitter only last month. It was basically unknown until now.

From the looks of it, though, I think it's still a ways off.

Ahh shit, I didn't notice that those were summoned swords at first!

if UE4 fixed all the stupid issues that plagued UE3 games, then I'm all in
but I think DMC4 still holds up with its MT Framework, so I wouldn't mind if DMC5 was done with MT Framework as well

also I can never get tired of that game's trailer!!!! I NEED IT IN MY LIFE!

UE3 and UE4 are basically completely different engines. Even then, UE3 wasn't bad, and results varied wildly depending on who was using it. Compare UT3 to DmC to the Batman Arkham games to Guilty Gear Xrd. Similarly, depending on how UE4 is used, it can create samey or generic-looking games. But yes, unless the game is really poorly optimized, generally UE4 games run better than UE3 ones.

That game looks god damn sick!

They even got the rival character who throws out summoned swords!

Man if DMC5 looks like that in UE4 but with actual closed environments with better detail/art...

*WHEW*

DMC5, if made with UE4, will probably look way better. This guy seems to use a lot of UE4 store assets, usually made by 3rd parties, which aren't typically AAA quality. That said, the models, animations, combat and VFX are probably his own. So all of that you could see in an UE4 DMC5, but way better.

Well, I did my part. I own SE on all three platforms now.

Hah, that's great. I hope you enjoy it since you own that many.

Dahbomb

DMC5 may not look as good as that mostly because we don't know what hardware that game is running on and what framerate/resolution. DMC5 will be 1080P/60 FPS based on PS4 specifications and it needs to maintain that framerate. Though at the same time DMC5 will not be fully open world like that.

Kaztinka

The camera positioning and the size of the character model of that game is basically how I want DMC5 to look. I really don't like how small the characters in DMC4 are, or how big the ones in DmC are, mid-gameplay.

No idea. He has had a thread on the UE4 forums, but his YouTube channel only has this recent upload and an old animation demo from December 2014, the latter with only 200 views, and he opened his twitter only last month. It was basically unknown until now.

From the looks of it, though, I think it's still a ways off.

UE3 and UE4 are basically completely different engines. Even then, UE3 wasn't bad, and results varied wildly depending on who was using it. Compare UT3 to DmC to the Batman Arkham games to Guilty Gear Xrd. Similarly, depending on how UE4 is used, it can create samey or generic-looking games. But yes, unless the game is really poorly optimized, generally UE4 games run better than UE3 ones.

DMC5, if made with UE4, will probably look way better. This guy seems to use a lot of UE4 store assets, usually made by 3rd parties, which aren't typically AAA quality. That said, the models, animations, combat and VFX are probably his own. So all of that you could see in an UE4 DMC5, but way better.

Hah, that's great. I hope you enjoy it since you own that many.

yeah I guess that's the whole reason for creating a new engine in the first place lol
I just hope they don't spend too much time and effort on visuals and graphics

Kaleinc

Banned
Anyone tried judgement cut cancels on keyboard? Doesn't work no matter what lol.
Tricking out of every move is pretty lame too.

Screw that I like DMC4's level of zoom, works perfectly for DMC.

Golnei

Maybe there will be a DMC crossover for Project Palm eventually. Nero is tailor-made to suit the audience of otome games, but being tied so heavily to Kyrie makes things awkward. I guess they could use Vergil?

Kaztinka

Maybe there will be a DMC crossover for Project Palm eventually. Nero is tailor-made to suit the audience of otome games, but being tied so heavily to Kyrie makes things awkward. I guess they could use Vergil?

BoJ6nG.gif

This is Vergil's chance
Vergil was practically made with the intent that one day, technology would advance just enough for him to be featured in a husbando game on cell phones

TreIII

As GuardianE said, it means one isn't already in development.

And since it didn't sell a million back in the day and they've already got Street Fighter V (which is floundering at the moment), I wouldn't expect it.

I honestly think that RS would be a good game to have back in Capcom's current stable, all the same.

SF has only done more to reestablish itself as the "hardcore fighting game franchise". V will likely never get the casual crowd back on board again. But a new Rival Schools game that was loaded up with the story, mini-games, character creator and high school sim aspects of its predecessors, along with its fairly unique take on a more stteamlined Marvel-like fighter? That may be the kind of thing that gets people interested. Especially if you could date your waifu/husbando high school sweetheart of chooice.

It's the kind of thing that I think Capcom could certainly use in this current landscape where the likes of Persona and Fire Emblem are big business for Atlus and Nintendo, and Capcom doesn't really have anything similar at the moment. Even BASARA's popularity has waned in recent years, with nothing currently being propped up in its stead to go for that same type of audience.

Shadoken

I honestly think that RS would be a good game to have back in Capcom's current stable, all the same.

SF has only done more to reestablish itself as the "hardcore fighting game franchise". V will likely never get the casual crowd back on board again. But a new Rival Schools game that was loaded up with the story, mini-games, character creator and high school sim aspects of its predecessors, along with its fairly unique take on a more stteamlined Marvel-like fighter? That may be the kind of thing that gets people interested. Especially if you could date your waifu/husbando high school sweetheart of chooice.

It's the kind of thing that I think Capcom could certainly use in this current landscape where the likes of Persona and Fire Emblem are big business for Atlus and Nintendo, and Capcom doesn't really have anything similar at the moment. Even BASARA's popularity has waned in recent years, with nothing currently being propped up in its stead to go for that same type of audience.

Why would they waste it on a fighting game though , the genre isnt as big as RPG. RPG is more suited for that , unless you mean making a Fighting game with RPG esque story mode like the Naruto games. Thats expecting too much from Capcom.

Golnei

Why would they waste it on a fighting game though , the genre isnt as big as RPG. RPG is more suited for that , unless you mean making a Fighting game with RPG esque story mode like the Naruto games. Thats expecting too much from Capcom.

An extensive, RPG-like sim mode is already an established part of the series. Whether they'd be able to justify giving a modern Rival Schools the budget necessary to do a fully-featured version of its own is another issue entirely, but it's certainly nothing new for the IP.

TreIII

Why would they waste it on a fighting game though , the genre isnt as big as RPG.

Largely because of two things:

One, unless you count Monster Hunter or Dragon's Dogma, Capcom's current talent pool doesn't seem to lend itself well to RPGs (and unless Monster Hunter Stories contributes to a drastic change in the company's outlook on JRPGs, I don't see this changing). What they do have on hand does lend itself well to action games and fighters, though, so, that's why I would suggest attacking the "problem" based on what their strengths are.

Two, at the very least, there is someone like Itsuno that clearly is passionate about his cause and likely has good ideas on how to reinvigorate the brand for modern audiences. It probably would work hand in hand with his idea to make for a "new type of fighting game" on the same token. I'd be willing to trust the guy who bought us Dogma, which was pretty much his love letter to the Capcom D&D fighters.

And in any case, it's not something that is going to happen any time soon, so again, it just be nice if he could get this type of support going on, earlier on.

Kaztinka

If he's asking for people to Twitter campaign, all that means is that one isn't currently in the works. We know DMC5 almost certainly is. I'm not concerned.

As GuardianE said, it means one isn't already in development.

And since it didn't sell a million back in the day and they've already got Street Fighter V (which is floundering at the moment), I wouldn't expect it.

I hope so
but they did mention a revive for an old series before
I wouldn't mind a Rival Schools game tbh
the P4 Arena games were fantastic, and I wanna see something like that with more focus to the story mode and other stuff too

I'm gonna be honest with you guys. As someone who plays fighting games casually and mostly SP, SFV has soured me on fighters from Capcom and I don't see myself getting excited for another one anytime soon. Their fighters clearly aren't for guys like me who just want to play them casually without worrying about match-ups, tiers and all that more advanced stuff. I think the fact that 6 months after the release the only real sp content that is available for casuals like me is that broken ass survival mode, says it all.

So, as someone who is part of the audience that Capcom will eventually try to capture with their next fighter, I only have one thing to say to them: Don't.

Make more budget fighters in the future and instead of trying to carter to both casuals (which you have lost your reputation and trust among them with SFV) and invested players, just focus on the latter and build your budget fighters around FGC and e-sports and tournaments and all that.

Cause trust me, SFV has been a big lesson for casuals. So the next time that I (and I assume many more casuals who bought SFV at launch) want to buy a fighter to just mess around and have fun with, your titles will be at the bottom of my list.

Actually whenever TN decides to finally move away from DoA5 and make a truly current gen DoA6, I'll be there day one since they have a very good track record when it comes to having SP contents in their games AND their fighters are fun to play as well (unlike the ones from NRS).

Dahbomb

They won't announce that though. IIRC Marvel wanted a lot of money for the licenses and I don't see the current Capcom agreeing to that.
Things have changed since then, Marvel is putting more effort into quality console Marvel games. They have also acknowledged the demand for a new Marvel VS game.

And of course Marvel would have to money hat it because Capcom can't really afford it themselves.

Things have changed since then, Marvel is putting more effort into quality console Marvel games. They have also acknowledged the demand for a new Marvel VS game.

And of course Marvel would have to money hat it because Capcom can't really afford it themselves.
Then marvel makes a DMC movie.

You kinda answered your own argument. The problem as you said it yourself is money on Capcom's part.

Also, Marvel wanting to make more quality titles doesn't necessarily mean that the licenses will be cheaper. I hope you are right and it happens at some point, but right now I'm not holding my breath.

Speaking of MvC4, I've heard a few times that even if it happens it won't feature the X-Men. I don't how true that is, but that would be real bummer.

Dahbomb

Oh, so there is not an actual source for these claims and they are just speculations? I guess that makes me a little more hopeful.
Of course it's all speculation minus Marvel being committed to console games now and stating that they recognize demand for MVC games.

RazMaTaz

Banned
Im only posting this for the sake of posting it so dont shoot me :p - but someone asked Capcom Vancouver about the next DMC, they neither confirmed or denied its existence, but stated its not being worked on in the Vancouver studio.

image.png

#slownewsday

I hate to bring this up but y'all remember that pachinko machine of Devil may cry they 'released' months ago?

Was it confirmed that the mo-cap pic of Reuben and Johnny is connected to the pachinko?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I hate to bring this up but y'all remember that pachinko machine of Devil may cry they 'released' months ago?

Was it confirmed that the mo-cap pic of Reuben and Johnny is connected to the pachinko?

No, I don't think they confirmed anything specific. They hadn't even confirmed it was a Capcom project. We just know there was motion capture for the pachinko machine.

Berserk game looking decent.

Waaaaaaay better than the new anime.

Griffith's video is okay but the Guts one was a little meh.

I think I really should watch the new anime. The way people talk about it, it seems to be hilarious experience. I still have around 60 chapters to read though, so I should finish the manga first.

Honestly the blue lightning mod does tons to make Trish look cooler already.

Speaking of DMC music - call me heretical for this but I really hope DMC5 eased off the buttrock a liiiiittle bit. Still want a super cheesy theme but I'd rather most battles be scored with something closer to Bayonetta's boss themes.

Golnei

Honestly the blue lightning mod does tons to make Trish look cooler already.

Speaking of DMC music - call me heretical for this but I really hope DMC5 eased off the buttrock a liiiiittle bit. Still want a super cheesy theme but I'd rather most battles be scored with something closer to Bayonetta's boss themes.

I'd definitely welcome moving away from that focus - I know I've gone far beyond just being a broken record about it, but I really do think none of the following games managed to match DMC1's score as a whole. Though I wouldn't say bombastic orchestral themes like those used for Bayonetta's major boss battles are all that great a fit for standard DMC gameplay or most of its boss battles either - I'd just want them to put priority on pieces like Baroque & Beats and The Viper (or ideally Ultraviolet, S and The Lumen Sage...) for the most part. But if they do get Rei Kondoh back again, it wouldn't hurt to use him for the obligatory orchestral final boss track.

Top Bottom