• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Seyavesh

Honestly the blue lightning mod does tons to make Trish look cooler already.

Speaking of DMC music - call me heretical for this but I really hope DMC5 eased off the buttrock a liiiiittle bit. Still want a super cheesy theme but I'd rather most battles be scored with something closer to Bayonetta's boss themes.

i want full on buttrock

all devils never cry quality

or doppelganger theme quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q0d871bN3Q

it sucks that no youtube vid seems to have the intro included because thats a big part of it too

i want full on buttrock

all devils never cry quality

or doppelganger theme quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q0d871bN3Q

it sucks that no youtube vid seems to have the intro included because thats a big part of it too

My main thing is wanting a lot of variety in the battle music instead of the same 2-4 tracks over and over again, really.
More themes like the Vergil 3 theme please. That stuff is legendary.

Yes yes. And in all fairness, the DMC3 Vergil themes were HEAVILY serviced by being in a context where basically all *other* boss battles had buttrock music (which helped them to stand out and feel more epic precisely because the game's audio was telling you 'this battle is different').
I'd definitely welcome moving away from that focus - I know I've gone far beyond just being a broken record about it, but I really do think none of the following games managed to match DMC1's score as a whole. Though I wouldn't say bombastic orchestral themes like those used for Bayonetta's major boss battles are all that great a fit for standard DMC gameplay or most of its boss battles either - I'd just want them to put priority on pieces like Baroque & Beats and The Viper (or ideally Ultraviolet, S and The Lumen Sage...) for the most part. But if they do get Rei Kondoh back again, it wouldn't hurt to use him for the obligatory orchestral final boss track.

Between Okami and Bayonetta, Rei Kondoh is basically the best bombastic boss theme composer in the business. It's weird that his DMC4 work doesn't stand out a whole lot.

Rudely doubleposting because my previous post is all about music - I've been realizing that I've built up the 'run mini-missions out of the Devil May Cry shop' hypothetical game design in my head to the point that if DMC5 just has a conventional linear campaign with, like, crystals you have to pick up in one place and put into a machine to lower a drawbridge or whatever, I'm going to be really disappointed. DMC1 and DMC3SE show that it's possible to have *good* campaigns in a DMC game, but I still think that the chapter-based structure is inherently limiting (and it can't possibly stand the comparison to bigger-budget games that are willing to sacrifice mechanics for presentation's sake).

I want DMC5 so badly but I'm not certain I want it to be what people think of as an AAA game. Those standards simply don't play to DMC's strengths at all and might actively hurt it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DMC's musical strengths lie in the combination orchestral/buttock. I feel like that's partly what gives the series it's identity at this point, so more tracks like Devils Never Cry, Vergil 3, and Baroque & Beats.

Diversifying the battle themes and other core tracks is really the more pressing issue, I think. People just get tired of listening to the same song over and over, and only two tracks doesn't cut it.

TreIII

Rudely doubleposting because my previous post is all about music - I've been realizing that I've built up the 'run mini-missions out of the Devil May Cry shop' hypothetical game design in my head to the point that if DMC5 just has a conventional linear campaign with, like, crystals you have to pick up in one place and put into a machine to lower a drawbridge or whatever, I'm going to be really disappointed. DMC1 and DMC3SE show that it's possible to have *good* campaigns in a DMC game, but I still think that the chapter-based structure is inherently limiting (and it can't possibly stand the comparison to bigger-budget games that are willing to sacrifice mechanics for presentation's sake).

I want DMC5 so badly but I'm not certain I want it to be what people think of as an AAA game. Those standards simply don't play to DMC's strengths at all and might actively hurt it.

We've agreed on this on the past, and I still do.

But suffice to say, I think the more DMC finally breaks away from its last few RE originating tropes, the better it will be. It's just holding DMC back, at this point.

Seyavesh

actually thinking about it, like less than half of the bosses in dmc3 actually have some form of rock for their theme

off the top of my head, it's... cerberus and geryon? maybe beowulf and gigapede too because i can't remember their themes

so i'd actually like to request one boss fight with a full on buttrock theme rather than the kinda synth+rock mix they got sometimes

anyhow my stupid trish skin for dante is pretty much done, complete with HUD now.
if i could somehow figure out how to add stuff to mrls i could change up the DT model so there's no DT form but yeah

InmklF0.jpg

rAOTbdL.jpg

We've agreed on this on the past, and I still do.

But suffice to say, I think the more DMC finally breaks away from its last few RE originating tropes, the better it will be. It's just holding DMC back, at this point.

Yep. Plenty of people in this thread would buy a game that was just really solid mechanics + good weapon variety but where the only level was the Bloody Palace; I think it's pretty obvious that that would never go over well with the general gaming public, but the shop-simulator thing would actually get really close to that (basically just a bunch of varied simple arenas which could each host dozens of missions), would still allow for cutscene direction to happen, and would thoroughly deemphasize campaign pacing/variety (which DMC has always been pretty damn bad at) while enabling much more in the way of bonus content and so on. I think it'd honestly help streamline the DMC team's development process so it'd end up feeling like the game had much *more* content while actually allowing them to not have to develop nearly as much in the way environments/level flow/puzzles/whatever.

WhiteWolf

Just got back into playing this and I fell back in love. Game play is just a blast and as satisfying as I remember it. Really hope Capcom releases PC or PS4 remastered for DMC1.

I have a question about the PC version. I currently own this on PS4, but I am putting together my new PC this weekend. Is it worth buying the PC version? Is the performance a lot better? I wouldn't mind purchasing it again since I have been a huge fan since I played DMC1 back when it released.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just got back into playing this and I fell back in love. Game play is just a blast and as satisfying as I remember it. Really hope Capcom releases PC or PS4 remastered for DMC1.

I have a question about the PC version. I currently own this on PS4, but I am putting together my new PC this weekend. Is it worth buying the PC version? Is the performance a lot better? I wouldn't mind purchasing it again since I have been a huge fan since I played DMC1 back when it released.

If you've got a decent rig, the PC version is a dream. Not to mention all of the customizability that it offers, as Seyavesh can attest to. His mods are amazing.

It's decently priced and totally worth it.

TreIII

Yep. Plenty of people in this thread would buy a game that was just really solid mechanics + good weapon variety but where the only level was the Bloody Palace; I think it's pretty obvious that that would never go over well with the general gaming public, but the shop-simulator thing would actually get really close to that (basically just a bunch of varied simple arenas which could each host dozens of missions), would still allow for cutscene direction to happen, and would thoroughly deemphasize campaign pacing/variety (which DMC has always been pretty damn bad at) while enabling much more in the way of bonus content and so on. I think it'd honestly help streamline the DMC team's development process so it'd end up feeling like the game had much *more* content while actually allowing them to not have to develop nearly as much in the way environments/level flow/puzzles/whatever.

Yeah. And again, it's the kind of thing that the likes of Monster Hunter and RE: Rev 1+2's "Raid Mode" excelled at. Giving the user plenty to do, and something to work towards, even if it was under the context doing a lot of the same thing over and over again, in a number of the same areas.

It's definitely the kind of thing that I think DMC could really use to help pad the game.

Anyway...since the likelihood of the DMC vets who helped with RE6's combat engine likely didn't find any work with the RE7 we got, I can only hope Itsuno scooped them back up to work on the next DMC project. And that we'll hopefully see their work in action very, very soon~!

RazMaTaz

Banned
Capcoms TGS line up announced:

Monster Hunter Spirits (Arcade) – Playable
Monster Hunter Stories (3DS) – Playable, Stage Event, Live Stream – Visit the theater booth to see the opening movie and a special video you won’t see elsewhere.
Resident Evil 7: biohazard (PS4, PSVR, XBO, PC) – Playable (PS4, PSVR), Stage Event, Live Stream – The latest demo will make its first debut in Japan.
Toraware no Palm (iOS, Android) – Playable, Stage Event

How did RE7 and DR2 announcements go down? Where they supposedly leaked before being announced on stage?

WhiteWolf

If you've got a decent rig, the PC version is a dream. Not to mention all of the customizability that it offers, as Seyavesh can attest to. His mods are amazing.

It's decently priced and totally worth it.
Sweet, I'll pick it up this weekend. Is there a recommended mod to get the DS4 to work on PC?

Yeah. And again, it's the kind of thing that the likes of Monster Hunter and RE: Rev 1+2's "Raid Mode" excelled at. Giving the user plenty to do, and something to work towards, even if it was under the context doing a lot of the same thing over and over again, in a number of the same areas.

It's definitely the kind of thing that I think DMC could really use to help pad the game.

Yeah. Beyond the bite-sized gameplay structure and the fact that it'd finally enable superbosses/tougher-than-the-main-storyline challenges/multiple characters not feeling as tacked on, I also think that (like Bayonetta) it'd be great to make extra costumes, extra weapon skins, and shop decorations something you can buy with all those extra red orbs you rack up - even if purely cosmetic stuff like that annoys a certain subset of hardcore gamers, I think it'd go a long way toward selling a broader set of gamers on the new game structure without doing anything to harm the experience at all.

The series should definitely go back to making abilities something you purchase with Red Orbs, though. Proud Souls sucked and did not improve the game (they might've been a good solution for a DMC1 structure where you can't go back and replay old chapters, but in DMC4 that point is moot).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Anyway...since the likelihood of the DMC vets who helped with RE6's combat engine likely didn't find any work with the RE7 we got, I can only hope Itsuno scooped them back up to work on the next DMC project. And that we'll hopefully see their work in action very, very soon~!

I don't disagree, and I think it's been reflected often here at how DMC can easily transition into this format successfully, and can almost be a continued service platform. It's a great idea.

However, I wonder if Capcom is a little gunshy about targeting the hard core and not fully delivering on casual expectations after SFV. They underestimated the demand for single player modes in a competitive fighter, if they scimp out on story and continuity in a DMC game, the casual base might similarly have concerns.

Then again, they've taken some leaps with RE7, and RE2Remake is definitely an attempt to win back the old crowd.

At the end of the day, I think it's important in how it's marketed and it's important for them to deliver on promises. That's key.

Capcoms TGS line up announced:

Monster Hunter Spirits (Arcade) – Playable
Monster Hunter Stories (3DS) – Playable, Stage Event, Live Stream – Visit the theater booth to see the opening movie and a special video you won’t see elsewhere.
Resident Evil 7: biohazard (PS4, PSVR, XBO, PC) – Playable (PS4, PSVR), Stage Event, Live Stream – The latest demo will make its first debut in Japan.
Toraware no Palm (iOS, Android) – Playable, Stage Event

How did RE7 and DR2 announcements go down? Where they supposedly leaked before being announced on stage?

I'm gonna assume that you are talking about Dead Rising 4, in which case, yes it was leaked before hand.

But RE7 came out of left field. I mean, we knew it was coming because of that investors report from Capcom, but it being an FPS and horror heavy title shocked everyone.

Golnei

However, I wonder if Capcom is a little gunshy about targeting the hard core and not fully delivering on casual expectations after SFV. They underestimated the demand for single player modes in a competitive fighter, if they scimp out on story and continuity in a DMC game, the casual base might similarly have concerns.

I think this has the potential to be a little different - a less linear mission based structure doesn't have to mean rolling out the game with nothing but variations on Bloody Palace. If anything, depending on how it's handled, it might actually help the game's reception with a casual audience. Content focusing on multiple characters spread out between a main storyline and various side missions would provide more of an incentive to spend more time with the game for players who otherwise wouldn't delve too deeply into running through the whole thing multiple times, trying out Secret Missions in their current form, or going through Bloody Palace; taking away the mass-market stigma of being 'just' an eight-hour linear action game without really changing much of the central content.

I don't disagree, and I think it's been reflected often here at how DMC can easily transition into this format successfully, and can almost be a continued service platform. It's a great idea.

Then again, they've taken some leaps with RE7, and RE2Remake is definitely an attempt to win back the old crowd.

At the end of the day, I think it's important in how it's marketed and it's important for them to deliver on promises. That's key.
I don't think making the mission structure less linear can't mean a fairly typical gated structure where there are "story" missions bookended by cutscenes - there can be just as much story progression, just a lot less pulling levers and carrying puzzle-gems around and stuff (and a lot less navigating through fairly dull environments, and *zero* platforming).

It could easily have plenty of story content. Honestly, the fact that existing missions/chapters in the series are *already* tucked behind a menu means it wouldn't be any less immersive either.

Since you mention fighting games, though, I'd love to see the assorted in-game arenas be as varied and expressive as the ones you'll find in a fighting game. Instead of the let's say 70-100 different screens DMC4 has (most of them pretty unexciting), give me like 20 and make them really gorgeous and interesting to look at, and set lots of missions in each of them.
I think this has the potential to be a little different - a less linear mission based structure doesn't have to mean rolling out the game with nothing but variations on Bloody Palace. If anything, depending on how it's handled, it might actually help the game's reception with a casual audience. Content focusing on multiple characters spread out between a main storyline and various side missions would provide more of an incentive to spend more time with the game for players who otherwise wouldn't delve too deeply into running through the whole thing multiple times, trying out Secret Missions in their current form, or going through Bloody Palace; taking away the mass-market stigma of being 'just' an eight-hour linear action game without really changing much of the central content.
And yeah, what I'm picturing would be something that could actually have subplots and sidequests and stuff, which the current DMC-series structure can't really structure. Also, a much more substantial amount of unlocks (optional characters, optional weapons, optional bosses, costumes, etc).

I remain convinced that it'd allow the game to feel (and be) much MORE content-rich, wouldn't damage its ability to deliver a story, would helpfully double down on the score-attack side of things in a way that'd cut out the red-orb-collecting bullshit, and would generally feel much much more inviting to casual play-it-for-the-story gamers without sacrificing anything that hardcore fans care about.

I definitely don't think they should take the story out of the games. But having to run from point A to point B and look at the scenery instead of jumping straight to the next battle or next cutscene? Completely not needed and it adds very little to the experience.

Dozens of smaller missions the size of DMC3's chapter 1, 2, or 20 would be so so good.

Dahbomb

I thought DMC5 was going to be a very safe game after DmC but then I saw RE7 and now all bets are off.

I don't think DMC5 will be as radical as either RE7 and DmC but I think it will be quite different from DMC4 too... which is good. Hopefully that is what happens. I want to see some solid change to things that aren't the basic combat (though upgrades to the changes are always good too).

I thought DMC5 was going to be a very safe game after DmC but then I saw RE7 and now all bets are off.

I don't think DMC5 will be as radical as either RE7 and DmC but I think it will be quite different from DMC4 too... which is good. Hopefully that is what happens. I want to see some solid change to things that aren't the basic combat (though upgrades to the changes are always good too).
I honestly didn't find DmC to be particularly radically different from the rest of the series, design-wise - aesthetically, sure. But it retained the chapter structure and the overall flow of progression while adding some new ideas to the combat (some good, some bad). In terms of game design I *do* think the keys/doors stuff was a nice change that encouraged player to revisit old levels that otherwise wouldn't have. But it was remarkably conservative with its changes to the series outside of a wildly different aesthetic sense.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Oh definitely. Trust that I'm a huge advocate of the hub based mission selection format (like a better Killer is Dead), and I see the opportunities it holds to expand the game structure and narrative. It can allow a player to choose their own pace as they go through mainline story missions. If they're getting bored and want to invest in some challenge or side missions, potentially featuring other characters or subplots, they can.

Extra characters, side missions, bosses, weapons... they can continuous add to the game via the hub, and they could even add weekly challenges and events to the community.

I was just saying that Capcom might be wary of diverting too much from the AAA formula or subverting expectations of an existing franchise due to SFV's backlash. I also have some trepidation about how it's handled, because I think that above all else when trying to do something ambitious and new, transparency, honesty, and respect for your fanbase are incredibly important to your success. These are things that Capcom did not show throughout SFV's release and updates, so I'm hoping they've learned from the experience.

I don't think making the mission structure less linear can't mean a fairly typical gated structure where there are "story" missions bookended by cutscenes - there can be just as much story progression, just a lot less pulling levers and carrying puzzle-gems around and stuff (and a lot less navigating through fairly dull environments, and *zero* platforming).

It could easily have plenty of story content. Honestly, the fact that existing missions/chapters in the series are *already* tucked behind a menu means it wouldn't be any less immersive either.

Since you mention fighting games, though, I'd love to see the assorted in-game arenas be as varied and expressive as the ones you'll find in a fighting game. Instead of the let's say 70-100 different screens DMC4 has (most of them pretty unexciting), give me like 20 and make them really gorgeous and interesting to look at, and set lots of missions in each of them.

I'm inclined to agree. I really am a proponent to the hubworld structure. I think it's a format just works with DMC. My concern mostly was with regard to Capcom's execution, and the public reception of these changes. That's why the PR is so important.

I know that it's kind of been long discussed whether a hubworld is better than having a cohesive world (sort of a Demon's Souls vs. Dark Souls argument), but I think the hubworld allows for a variety of interesting and diverse environments moreso than a typical character action game because you don't need to justify the cohesion from area to area as much.

I honestly didn't find DmC to be particularly radically different from the rest of the series, design-wise - aesthetically, sure. But it retained the chapter structure and the overall flow of progression while adding some new ideas to the combat (some good, some bad). In terms of game design I *do* think the keys/doors stuff was a nice change that encouraged player to revisit old levels that otherwise wouldn't have. But it was remarkably conservative with its changes to the series outside of a wildly different aesthetic sense.

In the basic game structure, it wasn't all that different. But it's still natural to want to retreat back to something safe when change doesn't go your way. Even more superficial aesthetic changes are still a departure from the norm (not to say anything about the underlying significant combat changes), and those were radical. Arguably moreso to a casual player than a hubworld because they're surface value and quick to identify.

Oh Capcom don't fucking know what they want (I've just come from the Dead Rising 4 thread). Ideally we'd have the story, a training/practice mode, Bloody Palace, and optional missions all made available through the DMC office as a hub (explorable in first person so you can zoom in on those Easter Eggs or discover Dantes hidden cache of old weapons and contracts. Hell, have his ripped glove and coin somewhere) so they can add story DLC and not disrupt gameflow, and support the game for a long time with DLC demon hunting missions. I'd gladly buy an extra mission or two instead of buying some blue orb DLC.

What we'll probably get is a linear, chapter driven anime story with Bloody Palace and a pre-order character, with a special edition a few years later with Vergil in it, because he's popular. That is, if the game actually sells as well as they want it to... God what is with my negativity tonight? I'm just annoyed at losing the pub quiz probably.

Oh and they'll delay it too.

Reading your posts and as GE said, your suggestions remind me of KiD and how that game was designed. I personally liked KiD so I'd be down for a better version of its hub-world in next DMC, provided that it won't come at the cost of having an actually interesting story.

Though as usual, I'm not sure I can trust the current Capcom to not screw it up somehow.

Dahbomb

DMC4SE on sale on Steam. The "DLC" is on sale too... and by DLC I obviously mean the microtransactions.

What we'll probably get is a linear, chapter driven anime story with Bloody Palace and a pre-order character, with a special edition a few years later with Vergil in it, because he's popular. That is, if the game actually sells as well as they want it to... God what is with my negativity tonight? I'm just annoyed at losing the pub quiz probably.

Oh and they'll delay it too.
That's probably what we will get given the shoe string budget everything is on at Capcom.

Kaleinc

Banned
All it takes is a good engine (which ue isn't) and solid polished game with decent story and variety developed in the house for all platforms.
So at this point the expectations depend on how well you know Capcom :)

Daante

I really hope they take sort of a dark, epic, and more mature approach to making DMC5.

I would really like to see something similar to Bloodborne with a DMC5, yet feeling DMC. They really need to nail the atmosphere, enemy/boss design, art direction, scale and epicness this time around.

Gameplay wise im not worried at all since i think both DMC4 DmC where really good in this area.

Golnei

I really hope they take sort of a dark, epic, and more mature approach to making DMC5.

I would really like to see something similar to Bloodborne with a DMC5, yet feeling DMC. They really need to nail the atmosphere, enemy/boss design, art direction, scale and epicness this time around.

I'm not sure about "dark, epic and mature", but something similar to DMC3's cheesy, self-aware but not entirely inconsequential narrative combined with atmospheric and grotesque art direction that takes heavy cues from Bloodborne would be a combination that plays to the strengths of the series.

I was just saying that Capcom might be wary of diverting too much from the AAA formula or subverting expectations of an existing franchise due to SFV's backlash. I also have some trepidation about how it's handled, because I think that above all else when trying to do something ambitious and new, transparency, honesty, and respect for your fanbase are incredibly important to your success. These are things that Capcom did not show throughout SFV's release and updates, so I'm hoping they've learned from the experience.

The restrictions imposed by upper management are definitely going to be a deciding factor as to whether a game using the structure would flourish or flop - but then again, if DMC4 is any indication, the same pressures would do just as much damage to the standard mission based format. In either case, regardless of the choices made on a directorial level, it's an unfortunately slim hope that whatever DMC5 we get won't be rushed out early and content-bare, with even the promise of it someday being filled out into something resembling a full product via exhaustive DLC predicated on ludicrous sales expectations for the base game.

WhiteWolf

I would prefer DMC5 to be more aligned with the gothic, horror vibe from DMC1. The castle you explore in DMC1 is still my favorite location in the series.

RE 7, to me, is more of an admission from Capcom that they can't keep up with AAA production. It's very telling that they are willing to take a 2.5 million to 3 million sales contraction from RE 5/6 to RE 7 (assuming the 4 million title was RE 7). Not too sure how that would bode for Devil May Cry 5.

TreIII

I would prefer DMC5 to be more aligned with the gothic, horror vibe from DMC1. The castle you explore in DMC1 is still my favorite location in the series.

Same. But I guess my thing is that I'm not even sure if "horror" really works for this series anymore. 2, 3 & 4 basically did everything in their power to showcase Dante, Vergil and Nero as nigh-invincible half-demon supermen (and, to be fair, Kamiya probably wasn't going to keep DMC as a horror game, either, if Bayonetta is anything to go by). I don't think they can believably put Dante back in that kind of setting unless he and his pals got a severe power nerf, they introduced ANOTHER new hero who has to work to get to the Super Sparda Bros' levels, and/or we find out that DMC4!Dante really was just a big fish in a small pond, and we have a new batch of badass demons who "make Sparda and Mundus' look like they were playing tiddlywinks".

The continuing "power creep" is probably one of the things I'm most interested in seeing them handle in a new game, certainly!

RE 7, to me, is more of an admission from Capcom that they can't keep up with AAA production. It's very telling that they are willing to take a 2.5 million to 3 million sales contraction from RE 5/6 to RE 7 (assuming the 4 million title was RE 7). Not too sure how that would bode for Devil May Cry 5.

Well, Itsuno said that DMC, at its core, was much more of a "mid-tier" franchise, at its core. It may be on the upper end of that scale, compared to something like Sengoku BASARA, but they both operate in the same area where they don't necessarily "need" AAA budgets or high profit margins in order to be considered successful.

So, it'd stand to reason that a "DMC5" probably could aim for that "2 million units" again, and likely would have a good chance of reaching that if they really market the game as heralding classic Dante's return after so many years.

Clawww

I just hope it looks nice. There's so much potential for sick lighting and effects that I don't want the visuals to fall short even though DMC may not be getting a deluxe budget.

WhiteWolf

Same. But I guess my thing is that I'm not even sure if "horror" really works for this series anymore. 2, 3 & 4 basically did everything in their power to showcase Dante, Vergil and Nero as nigh-invincible half-demon supermen (and, to be fair, Kamiya probably wasn't going to keep DMC as a horror game, either, if Bayonetta is anything to go by). I don't think they can believably put Dante back in that kind of setting unless he and his pals got a severe power nerf, they introduced ANOTHER new hero who has to work to get to the Super Sparda Bros' levels, and/or we find out that DMC4!Dante really was just a big fish in a small pond, and we have a new batch of badass demons who "make Sparda and Mundus' look like they were playing tiddlywinks".

The continuing "power creep" is probably one of the things I'm most interested in seeing them handle in a new game, certainly!
Yeah, they would have to shake up the status quo. Maybe kill off a major character at the beginning and leave Dante in an injured or weakened state. Have him be stranded again like in DMC1 so the game can just focus on Dante and put him through the ringer. I don't want to be punching giant demons through planets, DMC is at its best when it goes smaller and intimate (I think the best boss fights in the series are 1-1 duels between humanoids.)

It would also be cool to see Dante investigating demonic or paranormal activities more in the story. He is a character suited for smaller scale stories as well as potential world ending events.

Dahbomb

Bloodborne the gawd.

Soulsborne has really pushed level design, soundtracks and enemy designs in gaming. That's what people are used to these days, games that don't compare are looked down upon.

Kaztinka

Bloodborne the gawd.

Soulsborne has really pushed level design, soundtracks and enemy designs in gaming. That's what people are used to these days, games that don't compare are looked down upon.

I liked the variety in Nero's levels
then Dante showed up and ahhh..........

Bloodborne the gawd.

Yeah, when it comes to level/enemy designs, From seems to be on a league of their own. I don't have screenshots of them atm but the stuff in the Old Hunters DLC, especially the parts with (and leading to)
OoK
and
Lady Maria
were phenomenal.

I really hope Itsuno and co take some inspirations from them in those regards.

TreIII

All these talks about horror roots and Gothic setting, man can you imagine playing a DMC game in amazing environments such as these...

(insert awesome art)

On a similar note, I'm very glad to that Team Ninja's artists haven't apparently lost their touch at all when it came to Ni-oh. And if the rest of that classic Team Ninja gameplay shines through, the game will truly be something special.

While I was always more #TeamDMC when it came to the old "DMC or NG" arguments from days of old, I'd freely admit that I thought NG1+2 edged all of them (except DMC1) out in having the better overall art direction. And NG's cast of Fiends stayed looking fierce.

On a similar note, I'm very glad to that Team Ninja's artists haven't apparently lost their touch at all when it came to Ni-oh. And if the rest of that classic Team Ninja gameplay shines through, the game will truly be something special.

While I was always more #TeamDMC when it came to the old "DMC or NG" arguments from days of old, I'd freely admit that I thought NG1+2 edged all of them (except DMC1) out in having the better overall art direction. And NG's cast of Fiends stayed looking fierce.
Oh yeah, me too.

I think Nioh looks and plays amazingly. Can't wait to try the Beta in few days. This will probably be an unpopular opinion here, but I would be more than okay if Itsuno and co decided to do a completely new/different kind of action (a follow up to DD's gameplay for example) after DMC5.

Can someone explain to me what the Demon Hunter Bundle is? It's on sale for under $15 on PSN right now. I've never played DMC4 before and am wondering if this is the version to get.

Can someone explain to me what the Demon Hunter Bundle is? It's on sale for under $15 on PSN right now. I've never played DMC4 before and am wondering if this is the version to get.

The only reason to get the bundle is for the Lady/Trish alternate outfit

Everything else is micro transaction that you can unlock by playing the game.

SDR-UK

You get 300K orbs to spend on upgrading your weapons, new combos, etc. You also get the ultimate costumes for Dante, Nero and Vergil as well as miscellaneous costumes for Trish/Lady. I also believe that all modes are unlocked by default, too.

Great way to jump in, in my opinion.

The only reason to get the bundle is for the Lady/Trish alternate outfit

Everything else is micro transaction that you can unlock by playing the game.

The bundle is actually on sale for $10 less than the base game at the moment.

You get 300K orbs to spend on upgrading your weapons, new combos, etc. You also get the ultimate costumes for Dante, Nero and Vergil as well as miscellaneous costumes for Trish/Lady. I also believe that all modes are unlocked by default, too.

Great way to jump in, in my opinion.

So, does it break the game? Sounds like it could.

Either way, thanks for the responses guys! I think I'll go ahead and purchase it.

Dahbomb

The super costumes break the game.

The extra currency doesn't matter much if you start playing on like Son of Sparda mode which is also unlocked in this bundle apparently.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

While I'm incredibly excited about Ni-Oh, and I think the enemy/environment design shown thus far has been fantastic, I'll echo some of the responses in here that Ninja Gaiden enemy design is extremely hit or miss. In fact, I'd argue it's goddamn awful in NG2. There are a few great environments in NG2, but the rest and the enemies are mostly garbage in that game. NG1 is far more even keel.

Top Bottom