• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

TreIII

Possibly. I suspect that DMC4SE was a way to subsidize some of the development/design work for DMC5 (basically a test bed for some new characters that aren't particularly well-balanced for DMC4).

Yeah, I think it's safe to presume that what we saw of Vergil and the ladies was just basically a nice preview for what they hopefully have in store for 5.

Even the way they have much better crowd control options than Nero or Dante did speaks volumes to how they probably may be standing to build DMC5 to have a few more demons per encounter.

Just...hopefully not full Musou/BASARA style regiments like in LDK.

Seyavesh

dmc3 dante hitboxes/moves with ldk numbers of mooks sometimes

i really really wish dmc3 had ldk because that + style switch and the dmc3 shotgun would be a dream

dmc3 dante hitboxes/moves with ldk numbers of mooks sometimes

i really really wish dmc3 had ldk because that + style switch and the dmc3 shotgun would be a dream

Advanced Cerberus/E&I/Rainstorm and Shotgun/Artemis/Spiral stuff would be pretty suitable for LDK in DMC3SE yeah. And of course Vergil is always OP as fuck and would be fine.

Sesha

DMC5 will likely have more aerial options as well, which Nero, Vergil and Trish are examples of. Itsuno mentioned in a DmC-related interview a while ago that he was interested in mid-air combat.

- More aerial options
- More open environments / less "room with loading screen"- based level design
- Multiple pieces of DLC, incl. cosmetics

Are all things we are guaranteed to see in DMC5.

man this is slick
yCxERy7.jpg

also, the artist wanted to be credited w/ their twitter handle so she's here:
https://twitter.com/fateinteractive

This is cool. She's a cool lady. Yo, Capcom, give us this + PC versions of DmC DE and DMC HD Coll. pls.

I hope the season pass doesn't include the rest of the game and it's just characters, costumes, and story mode DLC.

Other than that E3 2017 it's going down guys. Watch.

RE7's season pass includes three add-on scenarios. I wouldn't be surprised if DMC5's inevitable DLC consisted of scenarios for whatever characters aren't the main protagonists. Basically like Vergil's Downfall. Though hopefully all pieces of content are playable with every character, and the DLC is about making a character playable and unlocking weapons and abilities for them, as well as fleshing out the character's story. Character-exclusive levels, enemies and bosse are silly.

Sesha

The 2.5 year thing is a bit weird because in regards to DMC they have specifically said it about sequels to DmC. So I'm not sure if it goes for all projects, or only sequels to recent games, and if it takes greenlighting, planning and pre-production into account.

The 2.5 year thing is a bit weird because in regards to DMC they have specifically said it about sequels to DmC. So I'm not sure if it goes for all projects, or only sequels to recent games, and if it takes greenlighting, planning and pre-production into account.

Well technically they had DmC:DE out in that time period. It wasn't a sequel but it was another DMC.

Remember this was at a time when Capcom was going all in with outsourcing their games to western companies. They took a break at the beginning of this gen to focus on remasters and developing games internally so naturally it takes time to adjust. Now they might go full throttle again, but with their own teams making games rather having other developers do it.

Sesha

Well technically they had DmC:DE out in that time period. It wasn't a sequel but it was another DMC.

I suspect DmC DE and DMC4SE might count as part of that, yeah.

Remember this was at a time when Capcom was going all in with outsourcing their games to western companies. They took a break at the beginning of this gen to focus on remasters and developing games internally so naturally it takes time to adjust. Now they might go full throttle again, but with their own teams making games rather having other developers do it.

Well the 2.5 year thing has been a, well, thing, for a while. Since early last gen. They started it out by outsourcing new IPs and sequels for lesser franchises, with Dark Void and Bionic Commando, and later Lost Planet and Dead Rising. What makes me wonder is SFV seems to have had a short development period. What's more, RE7 began development in February 2014, although the planning and concept stage started in 2013. And that's their two flagship franchises.

As for aerial options and crowd control, the jury's still out for me on whether I am okay with Buy In or not, lol.

I assume more focus on air combat will just mean more aerial attacks like Calibur, air Stinger and additional air combos. I doubt it will be like DmC where attacking mid-air just keeps you suspended constantly with little effort.

They made a mistake that was corrected pretty quickly. It shouldn't have happened in the first place though.

It wasn't really a mistake though. They wrote a program to do that without telling people who were downloading the patch anything about what it actually does.

They tried to get away with it but got caught. That was really shitty (and I think not entirely legal).

It wasn't really a mistake though. They wrote a program to do that without telling people who were downloading the patch anything about what it actually does.

They tried to get away with it but got caught. That was really shitty (and I think not entirely legal).
You're kind of being super hyperbolic about Capcom right now. I think a lot of people actually are too esepcailly with regards to SFV.

You're kind of being super hyperbolic about Capcom right now. I think a lot of people actually are too esepcailly with regards to SFV.
How am I being super hyperbolic?

They literally released a malware through their latest patch in the name of "anti hack security system" and they said nothing about it until they were called out. Besides being a super shitty move towards your paying costumers, If I'm not mistaken It's plain illegal to do this.

This is not a mistake or oversight. They tried to pull this crap knowing well what they were doing, so they absolutely deserve to be called out and get shit for it.

The more I think about it, the more I think they're just going to remove the style system and call it a day. Just have the essentials and a few new moves and weapons.

TreIII

The more I think about it, the more I think they're just going to remove the style system and call it a day. Just have the essentials and a few new moves and weapons.

And they probably will. Whether it be for the sake of streamlining things for the sake of a more casual demographic, and/or just being able to offload a number of Dante's former "styles" onto other characters where they can be developed on further individually, DMC4!Dante will probably be the last time we likely will see styles as we knew them and Dante being as complex to play.

I, for one, look forward to seeing what they could do with the likes of Lady with more weapons to build off of her take on Gunslinger, much less what they could do with all-new characters that inherit the Bangle Of Time/Quicksilver and Doppleganger, among other things.

And they probably will. Whether it be for the sake of streamlining things for the sake of a more casual demographic, and/or just being able to offload a number of Dante's former "styles" onto other characters where they can be developed on further individually, DMC4!Dante will probably be the last time we likely will see styles as we knew them and Dante being as complex to play.

I, for one, look forward to seeing what they could do with the likes of Lady with more weapons to build off of her take on Gunslinger, much less what they could do with all-new characters that inherit the Bangle Of Time/Quicksilver and Doppleganger, among other things.

Yeah I don't think we're seeing DMC4 Dante ever again. That might not be a bad thing though because as much as I love DMC3/4, those games aren't as balanced as Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden Black, or DMC1. Dante with a more limited moveset compared to 4, allows them to make better enemies and bosses where it's hard for players to "break the game."

Having new characters taking some of those styles is not a bad idea.

I just want a beautifully designed DMC5 from top to bottom. Not trying to cater to casuals or hardcore players too much.

I'm hoping we get a Dante beefed up so that each individual style is as powerful as they were in DMC3 (so newbies can feel more free to just stick to a single style if they want to). Also, more high-impact moves for him. As long as Style switching feels optional, it's not inherently a design issue. The clunky weapon cycling from DMC4 is much more of a problem, IMO - I think it's essential for weapons to be one button press away.

Dahbomb

Probably for the best although the style moves themselves should obviously be kept in. You really only need one modifier button to have access to those moves anyway.

Only reason to have Style switch is if you switch a Style... your entire control lay out changes.

Like if you go into Trickster... your Triangle/Square/Circle/X buttons all change. Your sword attacks being trickier, your guns attack become more evasive fire, you gain dash etc.

That's like next level evolution but that's far too difficult for mere humans to play around with. DmC is kinda like this when you think about it, you have 3 "styles" instead of one and with far less mechanics and variations to worry about. With this system each weapon would have like 4 times the amount of moves.

Sesha

Yuji Shimomura has a new movie out, his second film as director. His first was Death Trance in 2005, which I haven't seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oew-72vem5w

It looks to be a relatively low budget film, so I don't expect any crazy DMC-esque scenes.

That is my hope. Getting rid of switching would free up the d-pad for other things. Using DMC4 as an example, Dante could have a Devil Bringer mechanic, Exceed and Darkslayer/Yamato on the D-pad. I don't want that, of course. It's just an example.

I can see them emulating DmC to an extent by making Trickster a dedicated button and putting DT on clicking the analogues to make way for Royalguard. Revengeance did Ripper Mode the same way. A lot of people dislike DT on L3+R3 for good reasons. Removing style swithing is a controversial idea, though. DmC has made a lot of fans even more resistant to changing anything about the existing formula.

I don't think removing styles would necessarily make Dante less complex. All they have to do is give dedicated buttons to Trickster and Royalguard, make Gunslinger use the gunfire button with commands like Vergil/Trish/Lady, and add additional commands like back-forward and 360 to cover Swordmaster. Or they could do Dahbomb's Style modifier idea.

Dahbomb

My idea was to have different Devil Trigger forms on the D Pad (for Dante at least).

I don't like anything on the D pad that you have to press too many times mid combat. That always leads to awkwardness as you have to use analog stick attacks while switching styles.

My idea was to have the integrated style system and then have different DT forms on the D pad.

Like Up is Quicksilver, Left is Doppelganger, Down is regular Devil Trigger and Right is Desperate Devil Trigger (or whatever they want to add in). You don't use DT that often in combat so it's fine to have it on D Pad.

People aren't going to care about no style switching if you had access to all the style moves anyway. It's when you take away moves/abilities is when people get angry.

Also you don't want needless complexity in these games. You want the depth and the skill cap but you don't want people to be doing inane motions just to get to the meat of the systems. DMC has never been about that, they are all easy to get into but hard to master. If there's a way to make move execution easier (and it doesn't compromise the control scheme or mechanics) then they should go for it. Only exception are the really advance mechanics like the just frame inputs, parries and enemy step that have to be difficult to execute because they are advance mechanics with big rewards.

BadWolf

Oh It is *something* alright :) I really hope you enjoy it.

Yeah. It also stays very true to the characters and their personalities through out the story, while making sure that they don't become annoyingly repetitive in who they are what are their desires.

I don't know if Taro did all the writings himself or if he had help, but either way, I hope we get the same writing team to do dialogues for Nier Automata.

Oh man, you weren't kidding lol, that boss is beyond words.

Tried for a while but I loved this game (and that song) way too much to frustrate myself into hate because of dumb game design, so just said eff it and watched the ending on youtube. This BS has to be seen to be believed, I'm honestly shocked anyone okayed this.

The saddest part is that the boss itself and the setup is actually pretty damn epic, such a shame they had to ruin the gameplay portion like this. Just watching the sequence on YT, it is one of the more memorable set piece bosses out there from a story and visual standpoint imo.

That aside, a lot of smart and super convenient decisions going on with the mission design, Bayonetta and DMC could learn a lot from this.

You know how we all wanted Bayonetta to have verse select within chapters (so we could skip those dumbass mini games)? This has that, all checkpoints are separated conveniently on the chapter select. This makes replaying specific sections or going back to get collectables super convenient. Not only is there an indicator for the chests you have found in a level but they even give you an approximate idea of where you might have missed one (beginning, middle or end of a level, so just pick a checkpoint close to that).

Bosses have also been separated into their own verses, so no need for a boss rush mode.

I'd love it if DMC stole the idea of sidequests from this. All accessible from the menu and all combat focused. They also have a section with basically bloody palace missions. You know how we wished DMC4SE would let us select floors so we could skip the lame stuff? Drakengard 3 separates them into separate quests with certain numbers of floors (7, 8, 9 etc.) to them with very different enemy types and difficulty, instead of sticking everything into one chunk of 100 floors that you have to get through from start to finish.

There is a grinding component for money to get to the final portion of the story, but convenience strikes again and they actually built in a grinding feature into the game's sidequests. You can get a lot of money in no time.

I was really surprised at how well the combat was handled, it may not have had the budget of DMC/Bayo but it's definitely character action game level stuff. The flow is very solid with four distinct weapon types that all have their uses and distinct feel. Can't remember the last time I enjoyed using a spear in a game this much. Felt so damn good running at full speed with it through a bridge filled with other spear men running at you, with shield bearing soldiers behind them and horseman and you just cut through all that. Yeah, that looks as cool as it sounds.

Lots of enemy types and even different behaviors between similar looking enemies. Enemy attacks have proper wind up animations and tells as well.

In terms of level design I always wondered what DMC and Bayo would be like without all the dumb platforming, puzzles and gimmicks in their level design, just straight action. Drakengard 3 has done pretty much that and it is excellent, most of your time is basically spent enjoying the core combat thanks to this.

Loved the game overall. The story, music and gameplay were fantastic. The characters were very memorable, especially Zero and her crew. Really high hopes for Nier 2.

*Drakengard 3 Awesomeness*
So you finally reached the last boss huh? Hahahaha.

I would love to have a couple of words with the designers of that boss myself. The idea was very interesting and as you said it the setup was really epic as well, but oh boy did they messed its execution. I think I tried that at least a few dozen times until I finally throw the towel and went to Youtube as well. It should be a crime in itself to put such an amazing song in that trash of a boss fight though.

Anyways, yeah I really agree with almost all of what you said and wanna add a couple of more to it myself. The way they handled the weapons was really impressive since not only you have four types of them but each category among itself has different kind of weapons with different attack patterns and combos. Like, one spear lets you do the charge move while the other has a long range swing attack. That was really cool and not something that I expected to see in a low budget title like D3.

Another really really cool feature was weapon back stories. I liked that a lot. Not only the game would reward you in its gameplay by leveling up your weapon through frequent usage, but it would unlock more about the history of said weapon and let you knew its origins more. That was really interesting and I would love to see other action games implement a similar feature.

Actually, Drakengard 3 is much more impressive when you take into consideration that they did all of that with a really small budget. Just imagine what more they could have done if the game had the budget and resources of say... Nier 2. It's a shame that we probably never see that happen since if I'm not mistaken Taro wasn't happy with the work that Access Game did on Drakengard 3 :(

Dahbomb

That final boss of Drakengard 3...

AAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to see what you guys were talking about and that has to be one of the worst final boss fights in the history of gaming. Like it makes the Savior fight in DMC4 look like god tier in comparison.

BadWolf

So you finally reached the last boss huh? Hahahaha.

I would love to have a couple of words with the designers of that boss myself. The idea was very interesting and as you said it the setup was really epic as well, but oh boy did they messed its execution. I think I tried that at least a few dozen times until I finally throw the towel and went to Youtube as well. It should be a crime in itself to put such an amazing song in that trash of a boss fight though.

Anyways, yeah I really agree with almost all of what you said and wanna add a couple of more to it myself. The way they handled the weapons was really impressive since not only you have four types of them but each category among itself has different kind of weapons with different attack patterns and combos. Like, one spear lets you do the charge move while the other has a long range swing attack. That was really cool and not something that I expected to see in a low budget title like D3.

Another really really cool feature was weapon back stories. I liked that a lot. Not only the game would reward you in its gameplay by leveling up your weapon through frequent usage, but it would unlock more about the history of said weapon and let you knew its origins more. That was really interesting and I would love to see other action games implement a similar feature.

Actually, Drakengard 3 is much more impressive when you take into consideration that they did all of that with a really small budget. Just imagine what more they could have done if the game had the budget and resources of say... Nier 2. It's a shame that we probably never see that happen since if I'm not mistaken Taro wasn't happy with the work that Access Game did on Drakengard 3 :(

Yeah once I realized that all visual feedback is thrown out the window beyond one point during the final fight then I was out. Moving forward I'll just think of it as one long cutscene and always watch it on YT when replaying.

They have been doing weapon stories since the very first Drakengard and I very much agree with you, it's a really nice touch and adds that extra oomph to the world. Getting different combos/moves based on weapons was great and lets you pick something closer to your style. It was nice how the weapons felt like they all had their uses throughout, both based on what enemy you are facing and what point of the fight you are facing them. And they did this without forcing a rock/paper/scissors approach, you don't absolutely need to switch to specific weapon types based on the enemy. Also, the way they handled weapon switching between the four types in combat felt very reliable and intuitive as well.

The combat was surprisingly refined overall, everything from offense to evasion. PG is great don't get me wrong but Access Games did a fantastic job with D3 and I too would have given them another shot with a proper budget. Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if they have some ex-DMC etc. people on their team.

I had to see what you guys were talking about and that has to be one of the worst final boss fights in the history of gaming. Like it makes the Savior fight in DMC4 look like god tier in comparison.

If what they pulled during the actual fight wasn't bad enough, when you think it's over
and the screen has faded to complete black and the characters have started talking, there is still another attack(s) to hit. That's right, with the screen completely black and absolutely no visual feedback, while they are saying their lines. I can't imagine what it would feel like to get through the fight and then get fucked like that at the very end.

EDIT: It seems Taro Yoko was asked about the boss on twitch (?) chat:

http://s7.postimg.org/3koxb9v1n/ousemomou.png

Sounds like he regrets nothing -_-

Agreed on all accounts.

I'd like to think that through their works on DMC4SE they might get more exposure and another chance at making an action game one again. And hopefully this time with more budget.

That final boss of Drakengard 3...

AAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, you need to play through the game to get the proper feeling that we had seeing that boss for the first time. Just imagine, playing 15-20 hours of a non-stop action title and then finally be greeted by that thing as the last true boss. It was so frustrating, hahahaha.

Gameplay shift aside, the camera work in that boss is truly some next level trolling. How the hell did anyone thought that was a good idea?!!! LOL.

Can't wait to see what Taro comes up with for Nier Automata :p

EDIT: It seems Taro Yoko was asked about the boss on twitch (?) chat:

http://s7.postimg.org/3koxb9v1n/ousemomou.png

Sounds like he regrets nothing -_-

LMAO

Incoming a rap dance contest as the true final boss of Nier.

BadWolf

Can't wait to see what Taro comes up with for Nier Automata :p

The D3 boss fight is a reference to a similar working boss fight from D1, though at least that one didn't have the horrible camera shenanigans.

Nier had nothing like this, and nothing terribly annoying overall iirc, so hopefully the same stays true for Nier 2.

TreIII

Agreed on all accounts.

I'd like to think that through their works on DMC4SE they might get more exposure and another chance at making an action game one again. And hopefully this time with more budget.

The best case scenario, at least in my opinion, would be that Itsuno and his crew would actually be hitting up Access Games again for the sake of DMC5. If that is the case, then hopefully, 4SE was just a nice "testing ground" for all parties involved: Itsuno's crew, to see if they and this outsourced team could produce profitable results on a decent time table, and Access Games, to see if they could be familiarized with all the processes that go into making a DMC game, under Itsuno and co's tutelage.

It'd be nice if Access Games could finally be allowed to make an action game, just with the steady hand that would help best prop them up for success on a major IP. Being able to climb the ladder from being assigned by Capcom to make some throw away BASARA games on PSP, to help Capcom make the next definitive DMC game, would be quite the success story.

The D3 boss fight is a reference to a similar working boss fight from D1, though at least that one didn't have the horrible camera shenanigans.

Nier had nothing like this, and nothing terribly annoying overall iirc, so hopefully the same stays true for Nier 2.

Well, we had singing with
Devola and Popola
in the first game so who knows, maybe they make a singing contest boss as a reference to that?

Honestly, I just wanna see GAF's reaction to something like D3's final boss
:p

The best case scenario, at least in my opinion, would be that Itsuno and his crew would actually be hitting up Access Games again for the sake of DMC5. If that is the case, then hopefully, 4SE was just a nice "testing ground" for all parties involved: Itsuno's crew, to see if they and this outsourced team could produce profitable results on a decent time table, and Access Games, to see if they could be familiarized with all the processes that go into making a DMC game, under Itsuno and co's tutelage.

It'd be nice if Access Games could finally be allowed to make an action game, just with the steady hand that would help best prop them up for success on a major IP. Being able to climb the ladder from being assigned by Capcom to make some throw away BASARA games on PSP, to help Capcom make the next definitive DMC game, would be quite the success story.

I would love to see that happen. I think the people at Access Games are really talented and just need a little bit of guidance and who better than Itsuno and DMC team to do that for them. We could definitely do with more talented action game developers right now.

TreIII

It'd also be a nice thing to explain why they weren't available when Taro may have been shopping around for a studio to work with him (again) for Nier Automata.

Access just wasn't available because Itsuno got to them first, so they can work on 4SE and his next project. But on the other hand, that meant Taro got P*, instead.

Everybody wins~!
3AQmK.gif

That would be quite dreamy but I fear the reality is a little bit gloomier.

IIRC Taro wasn't happy with how the game turned out/sold and he blamed Access Games for it. So when they were looking for potential Nier 2 developers they most likely ignored Access Games altogether.

BadWolf

It would be interesting if things ended up with Dimps helping with SF and Access Games with DMC moving forward.

Though in a recent Capcom financials thread it was mentioned iirc that they have been hiring quite a bit for a while so maybe they have an internal team set up for Itsuno.

Most of the people who worked on DMC3 and the original DMC4 are probably scattered all over the place at this point, be it within or outside of Capcom.

Well, we had singing with
Devola and Popola
in the first game so who knows, maybe they make a singing contest boss as a reference to that?

Honestly, I just wanna see GAF's reaction to something like D3's final boss
:p

Common man, don't even joke about that :/

TreIII

IIRC Taro wasn't happy with how the game turned out/sold and he blamed Access Games for it. So when they were looking for potential Nier 2 developers they most likely ignored Access Games altogether.

Really? Sad to hear, if it's indeed true...

It would be interesting if things ended up with Dimps helping with SF and Access Games with DMC moving forward.

Though in a recent Capcom financials thread it was mentioned iirc that they have been hiring quite a bit for a while so maybe they have an internal team set up for Itsuno.

The sad thing is, even with the recent round of hires, I could imagine that most of that staff is likely going to be going towards helping Capcom's biggest franchises in Division 1 (re: Capcom's global AAA franchises) and Division 3 (Japan-centric content). So, in short, MonHun and Resident Evil are of course going to get the lion's share of talent, followed by the Online and Mobile groups.

So, they're probably still going to need some outsourcing to meet a need where internal talent cannot. Especially if they really want to try that whole "2.5 year dev schedule" thing (again).

Golnei

Not to go too far into developer fanfiction, but some animosity between the parties would explain Swery's tweets about Nier and Yoko Taro from last year...

Yeah, I think I heard that around the same time as well. It's not like PG is a bad choice or anything and I love what they've done Nier Automata's gameplay. I just think it's a shame that Access Games probably won't ever get to work on another Drakengard game.

BadWolf

The sad thing is, even with the recent round of hires, I could imagine that most of that staff is likely going to be going towards helping Capcom's biggest franchises in Division 1 (re: Capcom's global AAA franchises) and Division 3 (Japan-centric content). So, in short, MonHun and Resident Evil are of course going to get the lion's share of talent, followed by the Online and Mobile groups.

So, they're probably still going to need some outsourcing to meet a need where internal talent cannot. Especially if they really want to try that whole "2.5 year dev schedule" thing (again).

True, it's probably all hands on deck for RE7 at Capcom right now since it's so close to release, though that also means that a whole bunch of people will be free a few months from now.

What stage of development do you guys think DMC5 is at? It should be at least a year into development, right?

Seyavesh

my belief is 5 started dev at similar time as 4se or close to the end of it's dev (not release)- the dragma/dmc team has been off for quite a bit and didn't really do that much work on 4se- there must be a reason why they outsourced it instead of staying in-house

so my guess is 1.5 years min dev time

the last stretch consisting of mocapping and whatnot is probably happening this fall, and so you'll see trailers for 5 next year since it'll have been at that point of refinement where you can actually cut together a trailer from cutscenes + near-completed gameplay

my proof? i have none it's just wild ass guessnig

Going by Itsuno's tweet at the beginning of January then whatever he is working on has been in development for around 9 months now. Though, we don't know if that includes pre-production stuff as well or just full-on development.

my belief is 5 started dev at similar time as 4se or close to the end of it's dev (not release)- the dragma/dmc team has been off for quite a bit and didn't really do that much work on 4se- there must be a reason why they outsourced it instead of staying in-house

Didn't Capcom recently said on their fiscal report that the Dragon's Dogma team is working on Dragon's Dogma Online though? I'm pretty sure I read something along those lines.

Seyavesh

itsuno's tweet was that he was on an in-progress project, not that they had just started development

https://twitter.com/tomqe/status/687098966815543297

edit:
Didn't Capcom recently said on their fiscal report that Dragon's Dogma team is working on Dragon's Dogma Online? I'm pretty sure I read something along those lines somewhere.
iirc that's the dark arisen team that's working on DDO. the director for dark arisen is also the director for DDO

English isn't Itsuno's strong suit so the tweet is a little vague. But I think it only makes sense to say "has already begun" when it's been greenlit or went into full development recently. I guess we just have to wait and see.

In regards to DD team, I was under the impression that most of the core staff (besides Itsuno) from DD worked on Dark Arisen as well. Or was that not the case?

PS: Geez, looking at the responses to that tweet, people are sooooo thirsty for DMC5. Many would be legit heartbroken if it turned out to be some mobile/pachinko shit or a spin-off DMC for smartphones/handhelds.

Please deliver us the goods Itsuno.

Dahbomb

the last stretch consisting of mocapping and whatnot is probably happening this fall, and so you'll see trailers for 5 next year since it'll have been at that point of refinement where you can actually cut together a trailer from cutscenes + near-completed gameplay

That's honestly my belief too.

TreIII

It makes sense, at least if you try and put things into perspective of Southworth's old Power Ranger podcast from like January 2015 or so. By that point, DMC4SE had already been announced, but he hinted at a "secret project that doesn't even have a codename" in that podcast.

Between that and various other teases that have been made in the last few years, I can't think of anything else that he could be involved besides the next DMC. Which would indeed mean that that pre-production for the game likely began somewhere in the midst of 4SE's dev cycle.

It makes sense, at least if you try and put things into perspective of Southworth's old Power Ranger podcast from like January 2015 or so. By that point, DMC4SE had already been announced, but he hinted at a "secret project that doesn't even have a codename" in that podcast.

Between that and various other teases that have been made in the last few years, I can't think of anything else that he could be involved besides the next DMC. Which would indeed mean that that pre-production for the game likely began somewhere in the midst of 4SE's dev cycle.

Word. I don't even see how DMC4SE gets the green light if DMC5 wasn't close to guaranteed.

Mizerman

I hope you're right.

Dahbomb

GAFs gonna go ham when they finally reveal DMC5.

It's slowly reaching Last Guardian/Shenmue type status now. It's almost a meme here at this point.

Top Bottom