• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

TreIII

I suppose there's also the possibility that Capcom could literally just announce such a game at any other time of their choosing. After all, 4SE (along with DmC:DE) was just randomly announced on 12/14/14, with no apparent rhyme or reason, and not attached to any major video game event.

It's the kind of thing I could see Capcom doing, especially since the concern of a DMC announcement being "overshadowed" by other megatons at E3 is a concern that I believe does have some ground in reality.

So, at this stage in the game? I'm on the lookout for anything ranging from a random Famitsu/Dengeki info drop on any given week, and/or Capcom just deciding to drop a trailer when we least expect it.

The end result would still be the same. We'd all be breaking ourselves and marking out.

BadWolf

DMC4SE and DmC: DE were remasters, main entries in big IPs were announced at big events (SFV at PSX and RE7 at E3).

Highly doubt they are worried about being overshadowed when it comes to a DMC5 announcement.

PSX will be held at December 3th which will be 4 days before DMC's 15th anniversary in Europe.

So we might get an acknowledgment in that event. Especially if Sony does another All Star game.

Jawmuncher

You know DMC at PSX makes sense. I forgot all about capcom using PSX to reveal SFV.
Wouldn't be surprised if capcom is what Sony is using as their "big" reveal(s). Especially considering how lackluster last PSX was in terms of anything really big.

You know DMC at PSX makes sense. I forgot all about capcom using PSX to reveal SFV.
Wouldn't be surprised if capcom is what Sony is using as their "big" reveal(s). Especially considering how lackluster last PSX was in terms of anything really big.
veYKRuF.gif

xD

It's not working. Like, I don't get it. Game sucks.
Oh, so you were being sarcastic. Huh, thought it was weird to see you ask such a simple question.

just kidding what's up community DMC!! you guys excited for PSX?
Well, you got me :)

And yes, I am excited for PSX! But as a Yakuza fan. If Sony/Sega actually announce Yakuza 6 localiztion.... oh boy oh boy, I will lose my shit. I don't care that I'll have to wait two years to play it
(army thingy)
if they actually announce it I'm gonna run around streets screaming like a maniac.

Hey at least you didn't say Press and hold O.
I was actually wondering if you were talking about DmC, hahaha.

Your new schoolness just got exposed. LHK's been around since probably before DMC1.
Well, it's been less than two years since I've joined Gaf, so I'm not really old school around here. And I've been with DMC series from DMC3 so not that old school there either. I mean I'm only 23, how old school can I get? :)

But in LHK's case, I swear it's because of his avatar :) He actually PM'ed and helped me get the Resident Evil 4 resolution fix up on PS4 a little while ago, yet I didn't recognize him cause his avatar didn't look familiar :|

Btw, thanks again for helping me with RE4, LHK.

Edit: Back then I was kinda active in a different forum though
http://i.imgur.com/LR76Zjv.png

We had such a good community as well. It sucks that everyone drifted away over the years.

Edit 2: In case anyone is curious, the poll is from after DmC got released and it asks: "Which studio would you rather see make the next DMC title?"

Option A: Platinum Games
Option B: Ninja Theory
Option C: Capcom's internal team (Aka Itsuno and co)
Option D: Other studios

Man, Omega Force is drooping the ball pretty hard with Berserk.

Honestly, I'm starting to wish that Capcom was the one doing it. For all the shit that Capcom pulls, they still give you great gameplay when it comes to action titles and Berserk definitely deserves better than what Omega Force is doing with it right now.

TreIII

Honestly, I'm starting to wish that Capcom was the one doing it. For all the shit that Capcom pulls, they still give you great gameplay when it comes to action titles and Berserk definitely deserves better than what Omega Force is doing with it right now.

I've been saying for years that Capcom should be giving their BASARA team more work opportunities. The BASARA games are, hands down, the best "Musou/Warriors" like games of their kind and "Musou" style is a pretty good fit for Berserk. But good luck conveying that message when a) the last BASARA localization was now over six years ago and b) the rest of the series is import-only.

Even if the roster of such a game still ended up being small for a first game (probably 10-12), you'd be guaranteed that each character would feel positively unique and the stage design would be a bit more interesting.

I've been saying for years that Capcom should be giving their BASARA team more work opportunities. The BASARA games are, hands down, the best "Musou/Warriors" like games of their kind and "Musou" style is a pretty good fit for Berserk. But good luck conveying that message when a) the last BASARA localization was now over six years ago and b) the rest of the series is import-only.

Even if the roster of such a game still ended up being small for a first game (probably 10-12), you'd be guaranteed that each character would feel positively unique and the stage design would be a bit more interesting.
I feel like whatever they did would still be better than Berserk Musou we are getting right now.

• 30FPS
  • Basic Musou style gameplay in almost all aspects of the game
  • No MP/Co-Op
  • No dismemberment for humans
  • Only 8 playable characters and Skull Knight isn't even one of them!
And I'm sure I'm missing a few more. At least with Pirate Warriors they added some unique stuff in there. Berserk looks like a generic Musou on all fronts :(

Yeah. I've heard a lot about Basara in recent years so I would love it if the released any of the newer PS4 games in west so I can finally try it. Omega Force's Musou games are starting to get really stale so I wouldn't mind trying Capcom's take on them.

BadWolf

To be fair they are going to sell a lot of copies on the strength of the Berserk IP alone.

Isn't Capcom mishandling the Basara series in general? I remember reading something about new entries selling less and less.

Sesha

I'm pretty sure people misinterpreted the comment about the amount of characters in Berserk, or that it was poorly translated. Because it's been previously stated that there will be more than 40 total player characters and NPCs put together. Even considering Berserker armor, Apostle Zodd, Femto and Apostle Wyald as separate characters, I doubt there are close to 30 unique NPCs vs. only 8/12 player characters.

But yeah, game's not looking too hot in general. Honestly the idea of a Berserk Musou didn't excite me much. I'd much rather see something like Bastard!! Musou, which would be way more suitable for the formula.

Isn't Capcom mishandling the Basara series in general? I remember reading something about new entries selling less and less.

Could be. But they only launched 4 in Japan as opposed to 3 which launched overseas, so that might have impacted sales. Sumeragi also added only three characters and seemed generally meagre on content, so I'm not surprised if it didn't do well. I can't comment on 2, but I imagine it sold more for virtue of being on the PS2.

just kidding what's up community DMC!! you guys excited for PSX?

Can't say I am. I don't believe we'll see DMC5 until E3, and I'm not expecting anything else. Unless there's rumors about something like a new Shadow Hearts, Suikoden or Soul Calibur or something, my hype is near zero.

Dahbomb

Omega force gonna Omega force. I played DW8 like a couple of days ago and it was still the same crap since DW4. I didn't expect much from the Beserk game mechanics wise but at the very least these games usually have a ton of characters and co-op. It doesn't even have that going for it... so if it weren't for the Berserk layer of coat it would actually be a terrible Musou because content is 90% of these games anyway.

DMC series evolved more from DMC2 to DMC3 than DW did from 3 to 8. That's god damn pathetic. The Berserk Musou is only on my radar because of Berserk, just like that 2016 anime which was garbage. This IP deserves way more respect.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't really see the big deal about the number of characters. 8 seems fine for an initial entry, with guaranteed DLC down the line. Lack of co-operative play is also a bummer, but not a deal breaker. I'm more concerned about the framerate cap.

Dahbomb

I don't really see the big deal about the number of characters. 8 seems fine for an initial entry, with guaranteed DLC down the line. Lack of co-operative play is also a bummer, but not a deal breaker. I'm more concerned about the framerate cap.
Having 8 characters in these games is like putting out a DMC game with Dante having only E&I and Rebellion.

These characters have like 5-6 moves at the most and you are usually just spamming like 2 of them for the best crowd control. I guess they have the transformation gimmick now so that might actually double the movelist but it's not like you are swapping through them on the fly for combos.

DW2 was the first Musou made and it started with 28 characters. That's usually the baseline for these games. At the high end you can have 80 characters in these type of games. Of course you have the Fist of the North Star Musou with few characters but again... not exactly received all that well.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Having 8 characters in these games is like putting out a DMC game with Dante having only E&I and Rebellion.

These characters have like 5-6 moves at the most and you are usually just spamming like 2 of them for the best crowd control. I guess they have the transformation gimmick now so that might actually double the movelist but it's not like you are swapping through them on the fly for combos.

DW2 was the first Musou made and it started with 28 characters. That's usually the baseline for these games. At the high end you can have 80 characters in these type of games. Of course you have the Fist of the North Star Musou with few characters but again... not exactly received all that well.

Maybe the shift is that these characters will be more fully fleshed out? I haven't been following the actual gameplay other than the teaser videos, but if each character has more to offer than a traditional musou character, I'd say it's worth it. That's assuming much, but I wouldn't find 8 diverse characters to be immediately offputting.

It's an initial entry. Dynasty Warriors and it's ilk build upon every title, so there's the potential for growth here. I don't play a ton of musou, so I'm not sure. Maybe they standards really are completely different.

Well here is the exact Q&A from the dualshocker interview about characters:
G: Let’s get into the serious questions: You announced quite a few playable characters by now. Have all the playable characters been revealed now, or there are more?

HK: There are eight playable characters that we announced, and that will be all.

I pray to God for it to be a bad translation cause we really need more characters than that. I just can't believe that someone actually thought it would be okay to choose that piece of crap Wyald over Skull Knight and make him playable.

Also, I'd like to add a little more to what Dahbomb is saying. I don't how many Musou titles you've played recently GE but not only the moveset of each character is relatively smaller than standard action games, but the combos and attacks look very similar so even when you are doing different attacks with the same character, the game still grows stale after a while. That's why Musou games usually have a lot of characters.

I recently got the PS4 version of PW3 (which has 64 unique characters and 37 of them are playable) and taking one look at the move list of say Zoro, shows that he has dozens of moves! But to Dahbomb's point you always just use 2-3 good crowd control ones and even if you do go for different attacks they don't really look all that different until maybe the finishing strike. So you have to watch the same looking chain of attacks leading to finishing strikes time after time and after a while that becomes really boring.

As you've said it yourself, having smaller selection of characters could have been a good bargain if the characters were more fleshed out. But from what we've seen of the game thus far, besides the transformation, when it comes to core combat and depth, the characters seem to be just generic musou characters we see in any other title.

my hype is near Zero.
And it should be! Yakuza Zero is an amazing game, man. You should definitely try it!
Just couldn't help myself :p

TreIII

I feel like whatever they did would still be better than Berserk Musou we are getting right now.

• 30FPS
  • Basic Musou style gameplay in almost all aspects of the game
  • No MP/Co-Op
    [*]No dismemberment for humans
  • Only 8 playable characters and Skull Knight isn't even one of them!
And I'm sure I'm missing a few more. At least with Pirate Warriors they added some unique stuff in there. Berserk looks like a generic Musou on all fronts :(

Yeah. I've heard a lot about Basara in recent years so I would love it if the released any of the newer PS4 games in west so I can finally try it. Omega Force's Musou games are starting to get really stale so I wouldn't mind trying Capcom's take on them.

Last I heard, the Western release of Berserk was going to be gorier, and so, more decaps (even for the humans) were going to be a thing. Is that still true?

That said...if you were ever the kind of person that was able to navigate through a Yakuza game in Japanese, SB won't be much trouble for you. I could hook you up with the resources you'd need, and the games otherwise are pretty straightforward.

Capcom's handling of SB basically has three main issues that I can think of.

1) They're not doing much to retain or grow the fanbase, as of late. Prior to SB3's (Samurai Heroes) release, the brand had quite the extensive appeal, thanks to the "PUT YA GUNS ON" anime that even Funimation got in on and provided a decent dub for. But since then, not as much (and the more recent SB anime didn't do that well, at all). This creates a problem, as the brand hasn't done much else to expand in the years since becoming JP-exclusive, and even now, the formerly loyal female base is starting to get their fixes elsewhere.

2) The "One Game a Year" rule is slowly killing the brand. Capcom basically expects Team BASARA to compete with Koei's Omega Force squad, but without having the manpower, budget and/or time that Koei usually gives their crew. So, you end up with games that have great combat engines, but built around incomplete ideas, increasingly mundane rosters that STILL don't have some favorites from the PS2 era back on board and other issues, like how the most recent game ended up feeling quite incomplete even compared to SB4: Sumeragi (the game was released before). Yukimura-Den was practically sent out to die, for it to be a game that served more as another "SB4 expansion", instead of being a complete game by itself.

3) Not as many chances to experiment, as per my previous post. Again, I think about the possibilities that could have been, if Capcom was as enterprising as Koei and snapped up deals to interesting properties that Team BASARA could have been tapped to make. Whether such properties were relevant outside of Japan or not, it would have only done more to broaden your game's appeal and give the team outlets to try new ideas. But now-a-days, even Koei isn't the only game in town if you want to make a Musou-like. Shoot, Dimps and 8ing have long since had their own forays in the genre. Capcom missed their chance.

So, you take all of these into account, there's reasons why BASARA has been in a bit of decline. I can only hope these supposed plans of Capcom to go for a "2.5 dev cycle" for games, and having a few more mobile offerings all help the brand. Cuz unless Onimusha stands to come back any time soon, too, Capcom-flavored Sengoku action could stand to be on the endangered list in a few years...

Last I heard, the Western release of Berserk was going to be gorier, and so, more decaps (even for the humans) were going to be a thing. Is that still true?

That said...if you were ever the kind of person that was able to navigate through a Yakuza game in Japanese, SB won't be much trouble for you. I could hook you up with the resources you'd need, and the games otherwise are pretty straightforward.
Unfortunately that looks unlikely and their excuse is pure BS:
So initially we thought that maybe we could introduce in the west what we took out, but we’re finding that we have really hit the levels of violence that are on the borderline. We don’t really know if we can put that back in, and if it would be ok for an overseas release. It’s something that we’re looking into right now.

At this point we can’t really say. The situation from that previous interview has changed, and we’re not so sure what we can re-introduce, or if we’ll be able to re-introduce things for the western version.
This is coming from the same company that has released Ninja Gaiden titles in th past. And what's even more hilarious is that they have Nioh releasing just two weeks before Berserk which will have tons of violence and dismemberment in west. Yet, somehow Berserk can't have it because of rating problems :|

Thanks man, but I don't think I'd have the patience to do that. As you know, I really love the Yakuza series so I'll play them in any language that I can get, but I don't see myself doing that for any other series. Especially not one that I haven't played before.

Holy mother of Nero!

There are character switching mods for DMC4SE? WHAT?! That's some next level stuff right there!

Kaleinc

Banned
Omega force gonna Omega force. I played DW8 like a couple of days ago and it was still the same crap since DW4.
How they still sell is black magic. Mashing same 2 buttons for 20 years could bore even woody woodpecker. Visuals really didn't change that much as well, 20% better since ps2 times at most.

Sesha

Lol

And it should be! Yakuza Zero is an amazing game, man. You should definitely try it!
Just couldn't help myself :p

Funny you should say that, because I've been interested in the series starting from when 3 came out. Sadly I went to uni in another city around the same time and could never justify buying another PS3 (cuz my brother had ours). Since then I kinda lost interest because of how many games they made.If we were up to 4 and 5 was in development, then maybe I'd want to get into the series. Now I feel it's too much, and I simply don't have the time with all the other things I want to do. Or rather, I have the time, but I don't want to make time for it.

So, you take all of these into account, there's reasons why BASARA has been in a bit of decline. I can only hope these supposed plans of Capcom to go for a "2.5 dev cycle" for games, and having a few more mobile offerings all help the brand. Cuz unless Onimusha stands to come back any time soon, too, Capcom-flavored Sengoku action could stand to be on the endangered list in a few years...

SB is Kobayashi's baby and he has a lot of clout, so I doubt he'll let it die any time soon.

Regarding expanding the series by doing the licensing thing, I think the answer is they just didn't care. Capcom doesn't like to do licensed titles anymore outside of mobile games.

Oh my. With all the crazy mods for DMC4, Itsuno and team really need to step up to the task. Not necessarily add character switching, but stuff like Boss Rush. There's a lot of stuff they could have in the main game or add as DLC that fans will simply add on their own. They stand to miss out on a bunch of extra cash if DMC5 is another meagre affair.

TreIII

SB is Kobayashi's baby and he has a lot of clout, so I doubt he'll let it die any time soon.

Regarding expanding the series by doing the licensing thing, I think the answer is they just didn't care. Capcom doesn't like to do licensed titles anymore outside of mobile games.

You're probably right there, when you think about it from the larger picture.

Time used to be that Capcom was one of the few 3rd parties you could trust to deliver amazing licensed content, and it's just sad to see that they're not even trying to explore those types of options to garner more sources of income. Imagine if the BASARA engine was used to sort of "resurrect" their arcade-style beat em up line?

Oh, the possibilities...

"Tag" mode is still something that I think would work well for DMC, especially since BASARA has been using it for several years, now.

For the novice and intermediate player, having the option to switch between two characters at one time would probably mean more than switching between styles as Dante, anyway.

Funny you should say that, because I've been interested in the series starting from when 3 came out. Sadly I went to uni in another city around the same time and could never justify buying another PS3 (cuz my brother had ours). Since then I kinda lost interest because of how many games they made.If we were up to 4 and 5 was in development, then maybe I'd want to get into the series. Now I feel it's too much, and I simply don't have the time with all the other things I want to do. Or rather, I have the time, but I don't want to make time for it.
If you are interested then just pick up one of the games and play it man.

Sure, it would be better if you've play all of them but there is no reason to deny yourself something that you might find interesting just because there are many iterations of it.

If you don't have a PS3 or don't want to go back to it, then just start with Y0. It's a prequel to the entire series so you won't feel left alone about in regards to story and it has the best combat in the series with real time style switching and all that.

Here are a few gifs to give you some extra motivation :)

Todays Jimquisition got me thinking: if Capcom pulled a Capcom and replaced ALL the voices of the DMC main cast; who would be your ideal picks to replace them? This excludes previous actors, so no Kari Wahlgren for Lady.

Dahbomb

Todays Jimquisition got me thinking: if Capcom pulled a Capcom and replaced ALL the voices of the DMC main cast; who would be your ideal picks to replace them? This excludes previous actors, so no Kari Wahlgren for Lady.
Didn't they already change Lady's VA for DMC4SE.

I don't know, but I miss Dante's DMC1 voice actor. Love Reuben, but the guy from 1 had such a chill laid back voice for the character. If anyone was going to replace Reuben, I would want their delivery to be like DMC1 Dante.

This might be an obvious answer but I think Troy Baker might be a good fit for Vergil. His Joel in TLOU was really good.

Also, Nolan North would be a good pick for Dante, since Nate is pretty much the Dante of Uncharted series.

Though, if I had to choose I would definitely pick old DMC3-4 cast over them.

Dahbomb

Only voice actors and actresses I know are Nolan North, Crispin Freeman, Troy Baker, Laura Bailey and Jennifer Hale.

They are all extremely talented and they can probably pull off the DMC cast if they wanted to. I don't think there's a pressing need to hire new VA talent, VA in DMC games is usually competent enough. Need better writers though.

Sesha

I'd want someone who like Reuben and Dan are from outside the industry. Characters like Dante, Vergil and Bayonetta should be as unique and distinct as possible.

I don't know, but I miss Dante's DMC1 voice actor. Love Reuben, but the guy from 1 had such a chill laid back voice for the character. If anyone was going to replace Reuben, I would want their delivery to be like DMC1 Dante.

I miss Drew Coombs as well. I already miss Kari Wahlgren after they replaced her as Lady.

Mizerman

Only voice actors and actresses I know are Nolan North, Crispin Freeman, Troy Baker, Laura Bailey and Jennifer Hale.

They are all extremely talented and they can probably pull off the DMC cast if they wanted to. I don't think there's a pressing need to hire new VA talent, VA in DMC games is usually competent enough. Need better writers though.

Definitely.

Top Bottom