• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I still need to finish Nier Gestalt, but I pre-ordered the Black Box Edition regardless. Part of me wants to just read or watch a synopsis. And Ni-oh is one of my most anticipated games of 2017 easily.

Yakuza's on the radar too, so don't worry, SoS. :p

Golnei

I still need to finish Nier Gestalt, but I pre-ordered the Black Box Edition regardless. Part of me wants to just read or watch a synopsis. And Ni-oh is one of my most anticipated games of 2017 easily.

What part are you at? It's really not all that long a game; (even the "NG+" is just a quick rush through a few lategame areas, not a full replay) and it loses a bit of impact in a LP.

Clemps is making a really good summary of Nier... part 1 is already out.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Does Nier Automata supposed to end up spoiling anything about Nier Gestalt? I kind of just assumed as much, but there could simply be some very loose associations that won't make sense until both games are completed.

What part are you at? It's really not all that long a game; (even the "NG+" is just a quick rush through a few lategame areas, not a full replay) and it loses a bit of impact in a LP.

I think I was last at the desert town, but this playthrough was from a little ways back. The NG+ element is kind of what I was expecting would take a while, actually.

Clemps is making a really good summary of Nier... part 1 is already out.

I might look into that.

I actually updated that hype wagon in the other thread :)

gFXw5GvIL.jpg

Hey, Nier and Nioh are already on my list to play when it comes to action games. ^_^
Good man. Now add Yakuza 0 to your list and you are all set.

gWFmsaWfZ.gif

I just can't stress enough, how great of an opportunity it is to jump into series with Y0 and Yakuza Kiwami (complete remake of Yakuza 1) both releasing this year. In the immortal words of Ben Moore from EZA:
This is amazing. Everybody should buy this video game. This should be a federal law.

You guys better buy these. None of them are DMC but they'll manage to scratch your action itches for now.

My plan is to go Nioh, For Honor, and Persona 5. That should be more than enough for the first half of the year.

Then I really hope there's nothing coming out in the second half of the year so I can clear backlogs.

Sesha

I'll buy Nioh, Nier Automata and Persona 5, even though I probably won't be able to play 'em until way after launch.

Does Nier Automata supposed to end up spoiling anything about Nier Gestalt? I kind of just assumed as much, but there could simply be some very loose associations that won't make sense until both games are completed.
I mean, the Drakengard games have mostly-obscure story connections to each other and to Nier Gestalt/Replicant. I doubt this feels at all like a direct sequel.

My plan is to go Nioh, For Honor, and Persona 5. That should be more than enough for the first half of the year.

Then I really hope there's nothing coming out in the second half of the year so I can clear backlogs.
I'll buy Nioh, Nier Automata and Persona 5, even though I probably won't be able to play 'em until way after launch.
h3Ry9JPQ5.gif

Anyway, it's good to know that most of us will pick up Nioh. It'll be interesting to see how that game might change our view on action games.

Dahbomb

h3Ry9JPQ5.gif

Anyway, it's good to know most of us will pick up Nioh. It'll be interesting to see how that game might change our view on action games.
It's not. Might change our views on Souls-like games though.

Ni-Oh is like "man you guys playing your Souls game with slow ass molasses combat... check us out!" when faster, more skillful combat than Souls always existed.

It's not. Might change our views on Souls-like games though.

Ni-Oh is like "man you guys playing your Souls game with slow ass molasses combat... check us out!" when faster, more skillful combat than Souls always existed.

Sure. But I was more referring to boss battles, enemy designs, level layout and stuff like that. Souls have already changed our expectations on those fronts so I can't wait to see what might Nioh bring to table.

Off the top of my head... I like that in Nioh there's no bullshitting around when the enemy/boss is going into a weaken state. You can see their 'stamina' meter depleting and plan accordingly. Bosses already have health bars, does it really break the game if you can see a vulnerability meter as well? I think not.

Yeah, that's one of the things that I really love about Nioh. The fact that you know how much more stamina your enemy has and you can actually plan your attacks with that in mind is really cool. I know some will prefer visuals cues for this over an actual bar but I love how Nioh shows exactly how your enemy is doing in that regard.

Another thing that I'm already in love with is Ki Pulse. When you think about it the idea for that kinda resembles Ex-Act and Max-Act that you can pull off with Nero. They each have very different effects of course, but the execution of Ki Pulse really reminds of Nero in DMC4 (though Nero's timing is waaay much tighter). Also, I absolutely love that they've taken Ki Pulse to the next level with the Yokai realms (that enemies create) affecting your surroundings. You still can beat the enemies without using Ki Pulse by avoiding those places, but I like how the game constantly reminds you that if you wanna play efficiently with William then you should learn Ki Pulse.

I think DMC4 could've used some of that design philosophy for Nero, that just reminds players that Nero's sword can do much more if they just try and learn how to use it with more efficiency. Though, they obviously had to tweak the timing for Ex-Act and Max-Act a bit and at least have the Ex-Act be available from the get go.

I just can't stress enough, how great of an opportunity it is to jump into series with Y0 and Yakuza Kiwami (complete remake of Yakuza 1) both releasing this year. In the immortal words of Ben Moore from EZA:

wait so I should start with Y0 or Kiwami?

Don't know jack about Yakuza other than the genre, so looking for an entry point.

Seyavesh

Off the top of my head... I like that in Nioh there's no bullshitting around when the enemy/boss is going into a weaken state. You can see their 'stamina' meter depleting and plan accordingly. Bosses already have health bars, does it really break the game if you can see a vulnerability meter as well? I think not.

there's an exhilarating factor of pressuring an enemy in the hopes of putting them into a stun state without knowing how much more you have to go to put them into it.

neither decision is objectively better- just different in terms of design goals. you may be mistaking something being 'easier' for being better which is a common mistake when interpreting those kinda decisions.

an offensively heavily game like DMC doesn't really have that kind of transparency for enemy statuses specifically to encourage that kind of exhilarating factor in combat.

the difference between a health bar and a stun bar are radically different in function, with a health bar being more in line for determining progress against a boss while stun is something that can be hidden or displayed in other manners (see: cerberus's heads getting more red/blowing up) as for a more finessed and refined method of increasing that kind of exciting uncertainty.

wait so I should start with Y0 or Kiwami?

Don't know jack about Yakuza other than the genre, so looking for an entry point.

First Y0 then Kiwami.

Zero is a prequel to entire series and takes place even before Y1. They basically made it as an entry point for people who were first timers, since this game was made to introduce Yakuza to Asian markets.

The thing that makes Y0 even a better entry point is the fact that they did Kiwami after Y0 and they kinda continued some of the side stories and stuff like that in Kiwami so it really is as much of a sequel to Y0 as it is a remake of Yakuza 1.

Overall, Yakuza 0 seems to be hands down the best Yakuza game since the PS2 era (and some people who have finished the import version even say the best Yakuza of all times) so you should definitely start with Y0 come January 24th.

If you wanna know more about the series, me and some of the other guys at Yakuza-Gaf did a premier thread for it a while back so you may wanna check that out. You can ask any further questions in that thread. I regularly check and reply to the posts in there.

Yakuza Series Starter Guide | Welcome to Kamurocho

Yeah, that's one of the things that I really love about Nioh. The fact that you know how much more stamina your enemy has and you can actually plan your attacks with that in mind is really cool. I know some will prefer visuals cues for this over an actual bar but I love how Nioh shows exactly how your enemy is doing in that regard.

Another thing that I'm already in love with is Ki Pulse. When you think about it the idea for that kinda resembles Ex-Act and Max-Act that you can pull off with Nero. They each have very different effects of course, but the execution of Ki Pulse really reminds of Nero in DMC4 (though Nero's timing is waaay much tighter). Also, I absolutely love that they've taken Ki Pulse to the next level with the Yokai realms (that enemies create) affecting your surroundings. You still can beat the enemies without using Ki Pulse by avoiding those places, but I like how the game constantly reminds you that if you wanna play efficiently with William then you should learn Ki Pulse.

I think DMC4 could've used some of that design philosophy for Nero, that just reminds players that Nero's sword can do much more if they just try and learn how to use it with more efficiency. Though, they obviously had to tweak the timing for Ex-Act and Max-Act a bit and at least have the Ex-Act be available from the get go.

Oh shit you're right. The lack of any kind of cues makes performing Ex-Act little more than guesswork for less skilled players. We see them implementing visual cue for Vergil's dimension cut thingy, although perfect executions still come across as blind luck to me.

Maybe not something as awkward as a meter bar but that's something they could learn from Nioh- giving newbie players a reliable means of getting the hang of the timing while at the same time not actually taking away any depth for advanced players.

there's an exhilarating factor of pressuring an enemy in the hopes of putting them into a stun state without knowing how much more you have to go to put them into it.

neither decision is objectively better- just different in terms of design goals. you may be mistaking something being 'easier' for being better which is a common mistake when interpreting those kinda decisions.

an offensively heavily game like DMC doesn't really have that kind of transparency for enemy statuses specifically to encourage that kind of exhilarating factor in combat.

the difference between a health bar and a stun bar are radically different in function, with a health bar being more in line for determining progress against a boss while stun is something that can be hidden or displayed in other manners (see: cerberus's heads getting more red/blowing up) as for a more finessed and refined method of increasing that kind of exciting uncertainty.

I understand what you're saying, but I still feel that it would benefit everyone overall to have that information available and clear. I can assure you that the thrill of combat would not be lost, if anything seeing that bar near depletion would spur me on to be more aggressive than I usually would.

Alternatively there's no reason why we can't have both. The first boss in the Nioh demo can be stunned early if you target and break his horn, but there's no indication of how much damage is required to break it.

You may also wanna play Drakengard and get Ending 3....it's a bit weird but you might understand where Nier is coming from in terms of presence. You don't have to, but it adds that little bit more.

I wasn't blown away by the Nier demo and my financial situation only permits me to buy one. I'm undecided right now. I mean, I'm probably going to get both down the line, but right now I'm not sure which of the two I 'need'.
Referring to Nioh and Nier.

I wasn't blown away by the Nier demo and my financial situation only permits me to buy one. I'm undecided right now. I mean, I'm probably going to get both down the line, but right now I'm not sure which of the two I 'need'.
Referring to Nioh and Nier.

Speaking from Nioh's side, what are you hesitant about?

Maybe I can help answer.

Golnei

You may also wanna play Drakengard and get Ending 3....it's a bit weird but you might understand where Nier is coming from in terms of presence. You don't have to, but it adds that little bit more.

If they're tossing up whether to finish playing Nier or to watch/read a summary/LP, I don't think recommending they actually play Drakengard is the best idea. Any tedium or user-unfriendliness in the former is magnified tenfold.

Maybe I can help answer.

It's more like I'm burnt out on Souls and Souls-like games right now and cannot be bothered micromanaging inventory and items and weapons and healing and guardian whatsits. Nor am I ready to bash my head against the wall because I can't get the boss down because I'm not reading the patterns properly and one mistake costs me my life. I need something fast. I thought Nier would provide that, but I wasn't sold on the Platinum™ combat and the drone-gun weirdness.

I enjoyed both the Alpha and (particularly) the Beta of Nioh, but I dunno. I'm definitely going to sit on it for a while and decide which one will best suit my needs come March.

Maybe I can help answer.
Don't like action gauges or w/e where you can only do something for so long and it runs out and has to refill... DMC5 can't come soon enough. And Nier looks more interesting but it seems like the bullet hell sections will be integral to that game, and I found the forced overhead camera in some of those portions no fun....

Well I don't blame people for being burn out on the Souls set up, coming from a character action perspective it definitely limited. For me I'm seeing it first from a Souls perspective and the inclusion of Character Action elements adds a lot to the formula.

It's more like I'm burnt out on Souls and Souls-like games right now and cannot be bothered micromanaging inventory and items and weapons and healing and guardian whatsits. Nor am I ready to bash my head against the wall because I can't get the boss down because I'm not reading the patterns properly and one mistake costs me my life. I need something fast. I thought Nier would provide that, but I wasn't sold on the Platinum™ combat and the drone-gun weirdness.

I enjoyed both the Alpha and (particularly) the Beta of Nioh, but I dunno. I'm definitely going to sit on it for a while and decide which one will best suit my needs come March.
Well, if you are interested in something fast then I may have a something for you...

Jawmuncher

Is there a good trainer or save for DMC4 SE on PC?
Wanna play again, but don't wanna worry about unlocking skills or anything.

Seyavesh

Is there a good trainer or save for DMC4 SE on PC?
Wanna play again, but don't wanna worry about unlocking skills or anything.

hydris's cheatengine table is good for this. just give yourself a buncha proud souls and cheat in having all the stages unlocked real fast.
http://s1.zetaboards.com/InfernalWorks/topic/5829927/1/

i personally use crazymelody's super trainer but that's more for functional purposes rather than unlocking stuff

a quick search for a full save file leads to:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/vma9b6edsuclvyk/DMC4+SE+save+file+Final.7z

but that's apparently for the pirate version of the game? unsure if it also works with the regular version.

Golnei

any mod for boss rush or adjusting health and timer for BP?

Both of the previously mentioned methods (CE table and trainer) allow for BP timer freezing and a boss rush (via warping to boss rooms/floors, in BP or otherwise). You can also disable all damage given and received with that cheat engine table; if that's what you were after. Increasing max health values should also be possible, looking at the updates given in the cheat engine forum post, but I haven't tried that myself.

I was playing Driveclub the other day and I thought it would be very cool if they added something similar to track challenges from that game in DMC5.

For those who haven't played DC, let me explain how it works. In DC whenever you are playing in a race/track, you have a set amount of mostly optional challenges (stay at the first place for 1 minute, achieve x speed, do x amount of drift, etc) that you have to overcome in addition to finishing the race at the first place. Now in addition to those which are offline challenges, when you are playing the game online the game tracks the data of your friends and other racers and provides you with certain unique challenges to that specific race from those data.

So, for instance Dahbomb has managed to achieve an average speed of 120 MPH during the third turn in a race. Now when I reach that turn the game shows Dah's score at the bottom of the screen and compares my avg speed with him in real time so I can beat his score, and if I do I get some extra XP. Now comes the second lap and I reach the same turn again and if someone from my friend list still has a better score than my last avg speed (let's say Seyavesh) then the game shows that to me and I can compete against him. If not then it shows the next score above mine worldwide, so I would still be able to compete with scores from other people even if I have the best one among my own friends.

It would be cool if DMC5 incorporated the same idea when it comes to enemy encounters in each level. Seeing how many style points you guys have gotten from each encounters and then trying to top it would add a layer a competitiveness to each fight which could make them even more enjoyable.

TL;DR It would be cool if we were able to compete against each others style points during each encounter in DMC5.

Dahbomb

Most games already do this.

DmC DE has this too. You have global leaderboards and friends leaderboards per mission and difficulty. So after every mission you can see how well you did compared to friends.

It's on a per mission basis versus small encounters though.

Most games already do this.

DmC DE has this too. You have global leaderboards and friends leaderboards per mission and difficulty. So after every mission you can see how well you did compared to friends.

It's on a per mission basis versus small encounters though.

Yeah, I know. That's why I used DC as an example since it does it real time during the race. It's a tiny little thing that you can completely ignore if you want to but I really like it. DMC5 doing the same thing during its encounters would be great.

Yeah, I know. That's why I used DC as an example since it does it real time during the race. It's a tiny little thing that you can completely ignore if you want to but I really like it. DMC5 doing the same thing during its encounters would be great.

I can imagine this happening if it has Bayonetta esque verses because it would be easier to compare scores per encounter.

Cheese style to SSS without killing anyone, kill everyone.

someone did a no damage BP run :)
lol

Well, how about more specified challenges then? Like, the most consecutive JCs on one enemy.... and then seeing the lowest score among you guys be 20-25 JCs....

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
lol

Well, how about more specified challenges then? Like, the most consecutive JCs on one enemy.... and then seeing the lowest score among you guys be 20-25 JCs....

What I'd like to see is weekly or monthly challenges implemented in a similar vein to the above. You can have straight Style points, total airtime in an area, or number of JCs... it can even vary from individual rankings to community challenges such as total X killed or total Style points on a particular boss.

That's where they can get creative with it. It can have its own dedicated mode, or implemented into existing modes of Bloody Palace or the Campaign itself.

Yeah, exactly. It'll give you something else to look forward to each time you play the game. They can even take that one step further and have users/community created challenges, like DC and Trials series. That could come out really well, especially if they include some sort of customizeable arena or mission mode akin to those that we mentioned in our feedback sheet.

If they're tossing up whether to finish playing Nier or to watch/read a summary/LP, I don't think recommending they actually play Drakengard is the best idea. Any tedium or user-unfriendliness in the former is magnified tenfold.
True. But one of the endings does relate to Nier

So Capcom made a "The Nightmare Before Christmas" video game... There are some... familiar elements....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lUntztTg5w

DMC5 is in there somewhere.

I still own this on PS2. I remember seeing it on a gaming TV show and like "WTF"? Then say it was made by Capcom. I found it again last year at a car boot sale for £1. Such a gem of a game.

Dahbomb

Yeah, exactly. It'll give you something else to look forward to each time you play the game. They can even take that one step further and have users/community created challenges, like DC and Trials series. That could come out really well, especially if they include some sort of customizeable arena or mission mode akin to those that we mentioned in our feedback sheet.
Been basically been saying that DMC needed that feature from Dante's Inferno since forever. It's perfect.

Top Bottom