• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Afrocious

Playing as Vergil on Legendary Dark Knight. Kinda struggling as a scrub, but at least I get about 2000 souls to spend on abilities each time I die. On Mission 2.

I wish Son of Sparda was available. I dunno if I can deal with all these enemies w/ Son of Sparda health + damage while learning a character.

Any advice or recommendations so I can git gud? Preferably with how I should set up my options if you know anything there. Should I just put the game on normal? I'd like to compete in the GAF combo style contest a few weeks from now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Playing as Vergil on Legendary Dark Knight. Kinda struggling as a scrub, but at least I get about 2000 souls to spend on abilities each time I die. On Mission 2.

I wish Son of Sparda was available. I dunno if I can deal with all these enemies w/ Son of Sparda health + damage while learning a character.

Any advice or recommendations so I can git gud? Preferably with how I should set up my options if you know anything there. Should I just put the game on normal? I'd like to compete in the GAF combo style contest a few weeks from now.

Vergil is a new character, so everyone is still feeling their way around him. As for tutorials, there are a bunch in the OP for new players to review.

Just play on Normal if you're not comfortable with LDK. LDK is kind of a novelty difficulty anyway.

Yeah, at this point, I'm playing the Vergil and Lady/Trish campaigns back to back. Love Lady too much to wait. Plus replaying the stages will help me improve in areas I need to score wise.

Skrams

Vergil and the first big puzzly grip room with grips that disappear at times. Oh god.

Just don't touch the stick, never touch anything, just hit circle, and pray. I kept hitting my head on spikes before this and falling and god oh god the pain.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but whoa whoa whoa, it seems like Vergil's lv3 full steam attacks are auto just-framed - they automatically release upon reaching lv3 charge! No skill required!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but whoa whoa whoa, it seems like Vergil's lv3 full steam attacks are auto just-framed - they automatically release upon reaching lv3 charge! No skill required!

Yeah, it certainly seems that way. But I think you need to be at high concentration to have access to the lvl 3 charge.

ryan13ts

Well, if it wasn't bad enough that the game wasn't unlocking on time for Xbox One, now my game (Which was 92% complete) suddenly stopped installation and refuses to start again. Any time I try, it just says "Installation Stopped" without giving a reason why or what's even wrong.

This crap is exactly why I'm getting a PS4 and sticking to multiplatform games on that system.

Man, the increase in Proud Souls you get is so damn good. Already got most of Vergil's Yamato and Force Edge moves unlocked, and a good portion of Lady's. And this is after finishing Mission 3 in both campaigns.

Gonna do one more mission each, then I'm off to bed. I've been pulling all nighters these last couple days, wouldn't want to have it extended due to this.

Fuck, I have such a bigger appreciation for this game now. Feels so good.

Mechazawa

So, do the alternate characters remix the level design at all? Or is it still
City->Snow Castle->Woods->Laser Castle
and back with no variation on the level design/bosses?

I originally thought they were going to remix stuff around for Vergil's campaign, so I was going to replay the Dante/Nero campaign first but if it's more or less the same layout, I guess I'll hop straight into Vergil.

Anteater

that broken mess arkham knight is up early and not dmc4se?

come on capcom

hope this isn't a broken mess too or i'll find you swery

ezekial45

Banned
So, do the alternate characters remix the level design at all? Or is it still
City->Snow Castle->Woods->Laser Castle
and back with no variation on the level design/bosses?

I originally thought they were going to remix stuff around for Vergil's campaign, so I was going to replay the Dante/Nero campaign first but if it's more or less the same layout, I guess I'll hop straight into Vergil.

No, it's exactly the same. The new character just swap out the old. Same places, same enemies and bosses.

Got my 2 hours in with Vergil before I need to get sleep :(. He's wicked fast and powerful. Makes Nero and Dante feel like they are going in slow motion.. How did Dante win again?

Afrocious

Vergil is a new character, so everyone is still feeling their way around him. As for tutorials, there are a bunch in the OP for new players to review.

Just play on Normal if you're not comfortable with LDK. LDK is kind of a novelty difficulty anyway.

Got ya. It's been a while since I got through DMC3 and 4. I think I'll switch to normal, and maybe I'll look at the combo tutorials for Dante and Nero, though I don't think they'll help out much.

Uh, so there I was, happily playing my xbone copy when it randomly errors out and now it wont let me start the game saying we cant launch this right now try again later

105.Will

Vergil is so much fun to play. His animations look great and pulling off that perfect Judgment cut feels so satisfying. But that's all for tonight. I'm sure i'll be back tomorrow.

Got my 2 hours in with Vergil before I need to get sleep :(. He's wicked fast and powerful. Makes Nero and Dante feel like they are going in slow motion.. How did Dante win again?

Winning his demon power put Dante on a similar power level to Vergil's (after Vergil's 2nd fight they are both very tired, implying that Dante was canonically doing better compared to the 1st fight), in the final fight Dante had a bigger determination to win

This isn't represented in his gameplay because in DMC4 Dante is drunk during the entire game and is nowhere close to fighting seriously (canonically he never used his devil trigger)

The Xbox One store page says that it unlocks at 12:01 AM Eastern time, and it's 2:14 AM now, and it's still locked. Heh.

I've been killing time playing DmC for the past few hours, but I'm getting tired of waiting.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
god im still so terrible at perfect guard, even against a single mephisto. the timing is STUPID hard. 5 in a row... i'm happy if i can land 3

Seyavesh

Winning his demon power put Dante on a similar power level to Vergil's (after Vergil's 2nd fight they are both very tired, implying that Dante was canonically doing better compared to the 1st fight), in the final fight Dante had a bigger determination to win

i thought the idea was that by the third fight dante had outmatched vergil because he was capable of that wild growth while vergil's was a much more slow/stagnant deal- instead of gaining new weapons or techniques, he simply does the super versions of them in the final fight/relies on his DT power

but i'm thinking that the rebellion is significantly weaker than the yamato when idk if there's even proof of that at all

i thought the idea was that by the third fight dante had outmatched vergil because he was capable of that wild growth while vergil's was a much more slow/stagnant deal- instead of gaining new weapons or techniques, he simply does the super versions of them in the final fight/relies on his DT power

but i'm thinking that the rebellion is significantly weaker than the yamato when idk if there's even proof of that at all

Yamato is actually stronger than Force Edge, it's why Dante uses it in DMC4's final fight(Where he uses the Dark Style).

Vergil being the brother he is probably went easy on Dante. And now Dante is just drunkingly......fucking around.

Sayad

god im still so terrible at perfect guard, even against a single mephisto. the timing is STUPID hard. 5 in a row... i'm happy if i can land 3
You want to jump and then guard before the end of the jump's i-frames. Much safer and allow for a larger window for timing your just guard.

Dahbomb

2 Hour game play impressions.

*Lady is clunky as hell starting out. A lot of her moves have a ton of recovery so you can't just throw out certain moves. Charging her attacks during her O moves is key to playing her but you have to start the charge first then the O moves (can't start charging during the O moves, you will cancel out of them sometimes). This means that shoot button has to be on the shoulder button just like with Nero and if you are playing Gunslinger. Her gun attacks are really powerful especially a charged Kalina Shot, it downs Frosts/Angelos in one hit! Takes a meaty chunk out of bosses too. The grapple is a lot of fun to play around with but it takes a while to get used to it coming from Nero's grapple, totally different applications of the grapple.

*I played Vergil for like 10 minutes and he is literally the opposite of Lady. Where as Lady has some slow, awkward moves with a lot of recovery... Vergil has none of that. Note that if you don't have a sword embedded in an enemy he can't cancel out of attacks but once he does.. it's party time boys! The Perfect Slices will be taking some practice for sure... I have seen that the timing is a little earlier than you would expect it to be (so if you are getting the slow Judgment Cut then you are releasing too slow). With Vergil you just throw out attacks while canceling with teleports and shit will die around you.

The rust is real in the game though. Forgot where all the shit is in the game. Fuck having to look for hidden orbs. The speed boost and the accelerated souls/orbs acquisition is very nice though. The camera is still dodgy in the game. Didn't run across any issues thus far.

ryan13ts

apparently the issue with the xbox version is a drm issue?

I could care less what issue it is, they need to fix this shit pronto. All crap like this is going to do is make people (myself included) lean toward PS4 version of multiplatform titles when the option is available.

The rust is real in the game though. Forgot where all the shit is in the game. Fuck having to look for hidden orbs. The speed boost and the accelerated souls/orbs acquisition is very nice though. The camera is still dodgy in the game. Didn't run across any issues thus far.

Same. I was getting owned by dumb shit cause I haven't played in forever. Also getting lost cause I haven't played this game besides Bloody Palace in even longer.

Lady Kalina-Ann charge shots are crazy. Got another SSS on a boss just using it

Dahbomb

I was fighting against that Chamber boss fight with all the Gladius things running around with Agnus behind it.

For some how I thought that since Lady didn't have the Buster move of Nero, she couldn't toss the Gladius back at the mirror. So I attempted to take on this boss fight without using the grapple at all and got owned (got pretty close to killing him still). Then I tried the Grapple next round and she basically tosses the Gladius while grappling so no need for an additional input like Nero.

The RUST is real

played 10 missions with Vergil and I love it!
just bummed that beowulf is not the next weapon after yamato in the cycle but I'm getting used to it. Rapid slash into just frame judgement cut (JFJC) is addicting.

Also is there a way to do Rapid slash into JFJC without going into rising slash?

Rapid Slash has a surprisingly long cool down and I wish Trick could cancel moves more smoothly.

Maybe it'll change once I get everything but right now DmC Vergil feels smoother to control.

Also I think I remember wrong. Did they change the order of weapons from DMC3? I think R2 brought FE-Yamato-Beo but here it's Yamato-FE-Beo. It kept throwing me off.

Dahbomb

Rapid Slash has a surprisingly long cool down and I wish Trick could cancel moves more smoothly.

Maybe it'll change once I get everything but right now DmC Vergil feels smoother to control.
That's irrelevant when you can cancel into Trick whenever you have someone embedded with a sword.

Alright, that's my DMC4 session for tonight. 1/4 of Vergil's and Lady/Trish campaigns completed. Lady was a bit rough starting out, but at this point I've started doing a better job with combos than Vergil (in fact, the S, SS, and SSS combo trophies I all got with Lady). I just love the whole Judgment Cut timing thing Vergil's got with Yamato, even though my consistency with it right now is about the same as my consistency with MAX-Act for Nero. The Rising Slash and second hit of his Yamato Combo are the two moves I've had better luck with getting the right timing, Still incredibly fun, especially as I continue to upgrade his Summoned Swords.

Can't wait till later on when I can play Trish. The thought of not having to worry about weapon switching and wide hitboxes for attacks sounds like it'll be so much fun to go all ham on enemies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hah, Vergil will somtimes replace background and the voice of Trish saying "Devil May Cry" at the main menu after you clear the campaign with him.

Top Bottom