• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Dahbomb

I can't stress enough how much of a bad ass Vergil is in this game. You truly feel like a Darkslayer when you in the zone with him!

DmC has made a lasting impression on the series... that is to stay it created the mechanics that allow Vergil to truly cut loose in DMC4SE.

It finally unlocked for me on Xbox One!

eRLOWKC.png

Played up to Chapter 11 with Vergil and experimented a bit with Lady too, absolutely loving it. Feels great to be playing new DMC content after 7 years. And Lady definitely starts out very poor, but after some upgrades she becomes much more capable. She still plays very differently from any other character. Can't wait to get around to Trish as well.

Persona7

Banned
Wow, I downloaded the entire game and now it is telling me that it is installing after the first mission. Now it is redownloading the entire game.

Mmmm, Vergil is actually sex to play. I fucking can't get enough, I love this incarnation more than 3's by a huge margin. He's probably my favorite character in the game now. I only stopped playing when my dualshock died.

Doing the backtrack stages and picking up all the things you put in devices on the way back as the same character is pretty funny.

Kuraudo

Banned
Good thing about the delayed EU release is that I was able to preorder this morning and still get DMC3 Lady. Bad news is that I now have to wait until tomorrow to play...

biteren

oh baby, so happy i get to play this finally!!! my PS4 needed some Character action goodness since launch!!! this will definatly hit the spot till Transformers Devistation.

Dante/Vergil is back! lets get motivated!

Sectus

Any pc impressions?
Also can we just straight into DMD?

You start with 3 difficulties: human, devil hunter, and legendary dark night. And honestly, PC version is a huge let down so far. I can't even get the game to boot!

... Which is because Capcom decided a good time for the game to unlock is 7pm on the 23rd, so I'm left twiddling my thumbs.

Mortemis

Banned
They gave DmC:Definitive Edition a 9/10, stating that " 60fps makes the already deep combat system even better". At this point, I'd just ignore whatever Gamespot is saying if I'm a DMC fan.

The DmC DE review was written by a different guy, Mark Walton, who also gave Bayo 2 a 10/10. I wanna know what he thought of DMC4SE, couldn't really care about the opinion of the guy who wrote this review. Come on GS.

ryan13ts

Finally got to play it on X1 since Microsoft decided to get their shit together.

Loving it so far! Lady is definitely unique compared to the other characters, it's taking my some getting used to since I'm used to getting up close with most enemies, while her best game seems to be from a distance. I do wish she had more than just one melee attack with ol' Kalina Ann, but she's still awesome so far.

One question though; Do you have to beat the game with Lady to unlock Trish? I didn't see a way to switch to Trish in the menu, even though it says 'Lady/Trish' in their menu section.

BadWolf

Finally got to play it on X1 since Microsoft decided to get their shit together.

Loving it so far! Lady is definitely unique compared to the other characters, it's taking my some getting used to since I'm used to getting up close with most enemies, while her best game seems to be from a distance. I do wish she had more than just one melee attack with ol' Kalina Ann, but she's still awesome so far.

One question though; Do you have to beat the game with Lady to unlock Trish? I didn't see a way to switch to Trish in the menu, even though it says 'Lady/Trish' in their menu section.

Lady and Trish have their own missions within the campaign, you will switch to her later. Just like with Nero and Dante.

Vergil is the only one that goes through the entire campaign alone.

V_Arnold

When and how did this turn into a DmC:DE bashing? I gave it a 9/10, because the original was also a good game, and DE improved on it substantially, in every possible way.

I would not rate DMC4SE higher, because of the overall package. Fans will have a 10/10 experience in Bloody Palace for months/years to come, but that is not how game packages are judged. :D

(Lol, I also gave Bayonetta 1 10/10. The only reasonable score it shall recieve in 2009.)

Edit: the DMC4SE is definitely a 90%+ experience regardless of the controls and camera :p

The only thing I'll say about the review is that he didn't take the fantastic price into account and that the value for your money is there, backtracking or no.

Edit: probably. I still have 12 hours before I can even download the thing.

V_Arnold

The only thing I'll say about the review is that he didn't take the fantastic price into account and that the value for your money is there, backtracking or no.

It is not even backtracking I find painful though, but the overall camera controls, and the camera angle switches when moving between fixed scenes. That just screams 1997 and resident evil 1 :p

It's a fair score, personally. DMC4 was always a 6-7 for me. There's more to a game (even character action games) than raw combat system. Adding 3 extra characters just magnified the issue of level repetition. I mean, Nero alone has to do a bit of backtracking. It doesn't help that Dante goes through the same levels. And Vergil. And Lady. And Trish. Level design wasn't exactly stellar to begin with, although it's nowhere near DMC2 bad.

Like mentioned, issues with camera as well. There are loads of areas where the camera angle goes to a complete 180 so your left stick is completely opposite now. I also had a bit of issue grabbing those balls with Vergil's swords, even though I never had them with Nero.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Costume question. I started with Lady/Trish, and only got to pick costumes for Lady. Will I get to pick Trish's Gloria costume at the character switch?

Jawmuncher

Yep the backtracking always killed DMC4 enjoyment for me. I'm not a high end player, so for me I just go through on Normal. One of the reasons I still prefer DMC3 since it's the better overall package. What with its locations and story being better than 4 by miles.

Yep the backtracking always killed DMC4 enjoyment for me. I'm not a high end player, so for me I just go through on Normal. One of the reasons I still prefer DMC3 since it's the better overall package. What with its locations and story being better than 4 by miles.

That's why we need a DMC5.

Ghazi

Anyone have control scheme recommendations, for any character? I'll probably dive in with Vergil when I get home. I always played on default on OG DMC4, but after screwing around with the scheme in DmC I see how much it can help

Hypron

Anyone have control scheme recommendations, for any character? I'll probably dive in with Vergil when I get home. I always played on default on OG DMC4, but after screwing around with the scheme in DmC I see how much it can help

Swap the gun and devil trigger buttons around for Nero, it makes playing him a lot easier (you can easily charge your gun while doing something else).

Top Bottom