• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Veelk

Banned
Can someone tell me what you get for beating ldk mode? I assumed it was unlocking all the difficulties, but...

So does anyone know? I went in with the expectation that if I beat LDK mode, every other difficulty would unlock. Because that seems reasonable to me, but if I get through it, and I still have to play through DH to unlock SoS and then DMD...:mad:

Xav

Sorry but I've not been keeping up with this thread.

Is the PS4 version of Devil May Cry 4 safe to get or did we get stuck with a half assed port by a shitty developer?

I was under the impression that Capcom was porting this in house but now I'm seeing 'Access Games' show up on Wikipedia.

Uthred

Some serious buyers remorse after biting for the pre-order stuff only to see it available straight away, especially as this'll probably be a fiver all in by Christmas

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Is the PS4 version of Devil May Cry 4 safe to get or did we get stuck with a half assed port by a shitty developer?

I was under the impression that Capcom was porting this in house but now I'm seeing 'Access Games' show up on Wikipedia.

PS4 version has no problems, and is a great port so far. I think a few people have said the game crashed on the first day, but most people have experienced no issues at all. A few folks have had issues with the XBone version, and the PC version requires higher specs than the vanilla version, probably due to the forced DoF and motion blur effects.

PS4 version is perfectly fine. Access Games helped with the development AFAIK. Itsuno still directed so they probably just helped with manpower.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity

I had no idea Access Games was doing the port until a few minutes ago. That would explain the pc port's...inconsistencies this time around.

PS4 version is safe.

Finished Mr. Motivations campaign on LDK. LDK mode was harder than i expected.
Now onto Trish/Ladys for SOS.
Then onto the OG duo for DMD
Having so much fun.

Zomba13

So yeah. I've been trying to download this off steam since launch (well, pre-order) and it won't finish. A few times over the past few days it's "downloaded" to completetion but then sits in the download queue unfinished and won't download the last 200MB or so. I've been playing FFXIV so not really noticed and downloading Batman (preorder ;_; ) and I wanted to play some earlier and it prompted me to download again. I dunno what to do =/

jediyoshi

Some serious buyers remorse after biting for the pre-order stuff only to see it available straight away, especially as this'll probably be a fiver all in by Christmas

Nah, DmC only just got a price drop to $30 last month. Considering how RE4/RE5 DLC/REHD has been priced and gets discounted, they'll be stretching this one out for a while

I purchased the Asian version last week from Play-Asia (not pre-order) will I still get the costumes? I assume that they'll come in the case of all first prints but I could be wrong.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I purchased the Asian version last week from Play-Asia (not pre-order) will I still get the costumes? I assume that they'll come in the case of all first prints but I could be wrong.

Yep. All you have to do is make an Asian account on your PS4, like Hong Kong or Thailand, and then redeem the codes on that account. It'll be available on your main account after downloading it.

The codes should be included in all first print copies.

Yep. All you have to do is make an Asian account on your PS4, like Hong Kong or Thailand, and then redeem the codes on that account. It'll be available on your main account after downloading it.

The codes should be included in all first print copies.

Yeah I should have an HK account already that I used to buy Gundam EXVS DLC with. I'll just have to add it to my PS4.

ryan13ts

I don't know why but I'm having the hardest time using Pandora with Trish. I do the back/forward commands, but it just doesn't seem to be coming out like it's suppose to, much less the one that requires back and forward in the same prompt. It doesn't help that her melee commands are completely different from Dante/Nero/Lady/Vergil, using B to attack with Sparda and Y to attack hand to hand, as well as using Y+B for a rising attack

Overall, she's fun but she's got nothing on Lady. I absolutely adore Lady's moveset, it's so unusual for a DMC game, not to mention it's damn easy to rack up SSS's with her when she's near maxed out. I love her "1,2,3..." taunt as well.

BPoole

I've completely lost my DMC mojo. All the character action games since about 2010 have been simplistic in comparison to DMC3 and 4. I feel like such a noon playing this again

Veelk

Banned
Is there any way we can get the menu thing fixed for when you die? There is like a 4 second delay before you can hit to continue your mission.

Edit: Good GOD, I'm on mission 6 with Lady and these shark things are just destroying lady. I know bad wolf disagrees, but the girl does NOT have the mobility to deal with these enemies she ought to. She needs a "FUCK IT, IM OUT" button, and the closest things she has to that is the Kalina jump back bombs and the shotgun Stinger both of which are short and the former doesn't offer i-frames. These sharks are essentially Lady's worst enemies because they are underground unless you specifically manage to pull them out, and while Nero's snatch is short and brings them over to you, Lady's wire is longer and just is NOT good for crowd control unless they're all clustered together (at which point, you can slam the enemy to knock them out of the ground). I'm really loving lady, but she's in a game that was not designed around her playstyle and it shows more than it ever did with Dante or vergil (probably trish too, but I'll see when I get to her). Seriously, these sharks are just absurd on LDK difficulty because there are SO many of them, and they can attack you in quick succession. Not to mention that Lady is a very commitment heavy player. Her attacks leave her open a lot, so against these fast, sneak attacking motherfuckers, without a Get Me The Hell Out Of Dodge button, it feels like it's a lot of luck. Maybe I'm just not good enough, but I'm trying every tactic I know of, and sometimes I manage to muscle through, and sometimes I don't. It depends a lot on whether they happen to hit me from where I can't see or not.

The biggest problem is lack of Aeriel movement. Aside from the rocket jump with Kalina Ann, Lady has nothing that can get her out of a jam in the air. Nero has moves the propell him forward or can grapple to a sturdier enemy than he is. Dante and Vergil have Trickster style teleports. Lady is is just stuck.

Kaleinc

Banned
I had no idea Access Games was doing the port until a few minutes ago. That would explain the pc port's...inconsistencies this time around.
Welp, that's that.
bF60sJU.png

wow i'm rusty. fighting the final boss with lady and he keeps killing me with his final attack. am i missing a way to grab it as in the original or do i need to keep hitting my head against the wall

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Welp, that's that.

PC port isn't that bad. Just weird frame hitches and post-processing that can't be turned off right now. I think a few patches will fix most of that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
wow i'm rusty. fighting the final boss with lady and he keeps killing me with his final attack. am i missing a way to grab it as in the original or do i need to keep hitting my head against the wall

We were taking about this yesterday. Melee after his super attack finishes will put him in a stagger state.

Voror

Wow you can get quite a bit of souls and orbs running Mission 2 in LDK. Also reminding me how bad I am with this. Having trouble with the Angelo guys with the shields as I can't remember how to get past those anymore. Same with the weird floating enemies you have to get the cloaks off of.

BadWolf

Edit: Good GOD, I'm on mission 6 with Lady and these shark things are just destroying lady. I know bad wolf disagrees, but the girl does NOT have the mobility to deal with these enemies she ought to. She needs a "GET ME THE FUCK OUT" button, and the closest things she has to that is the Kalina jump back bombs and the shotgun Stinger both of which are short and the former doesn't offer i-frames. These sharks are essentially Lady's worst enemies because they are underground unless you specifically manage to pull them out, and while Nero's snatch is short and brings them over to you, Lady's wire is longer and just is NOT good for crowd control unless they're all clustered together (at which point, you can slam the enemy to knock them out of the ground). I'm really loving lady, but she's in a game that was not designed around her playstyle and it shows more than it ever did with Dante or vergil (probably trish too, but I'll see when I get to her).

Funny you should mention that because I fought them fishes just this morning and thought how piss easy they were compared to Nero and Dante lol.

Why bother with the wire when a charged shotgun gets them out of the ground in a second? The thing destroys them.

Imo she fights each enemy so well that it feels as if the game was designed around her. Can't speak for the bosses yet (since haven't fought all of them yet) but the non-boss enemies are a walk in the park for her.

The biggest problem is lack of Aeriel movement. Aside from the rocket jump with Kalina Ann, Lady has nothing that can get her out of a jam in the air. Nero has moves the propell him forward or can grapple to a sturdier enemy than he is. Dante and Vergil have Trickster style teleports. Lady is is just stuck.

Double jump bro, it propels her a good distance.

And even with Nero and Dante my main tool for evasion was just the regular jump, it's that effective.

Veelk

Banned
Funny you should mention that because I fought them fishes just this morning and thought how piss easy they were compared to Nero and Dante lol.

Why bother with the wire when a charged shotgun gets them out of the ground in a second? The thing destroys them.

Imo she fights each enemy so well that it feels as if the game was designed around her. Can't speak for the bosses yet (since haven't fought all of them yet) but the non-boss enemies are a walk in the park for her.

Double jump bro, it propels her a good distance.

*shrug* Maybe I just suck at the game, but no, I disagree. Charged shotgun works for one of them, or 3 of them since you got 3 rounds with it, but I'm facing 15 of them, with all of them moving around, and you have no way of zooming at them to utilize that shotgun. And while I'm trying to take care of one fish, they attack me from what I feel is off screen. Maybe I'm just missing them, but I have the monitor in my face and there's like 20 enemies onscreen at a time, lots of movement, so it's very hard to keep track.

Maybe if I gain more familiarity, I'll be able to keep track of everything going on at once and find some way to keep lady moving despite her significant animation lengths to dodge all these attacks coming from everywhere, but I am never going to get to that skill level that big level players are at.

Also, I might be completely off base here, but her double jump feels different somehow.

Look, don't get me wrong. I really like playing as her. The damage output she has is insane. But I can't say I feel the game is designed for her when I feel I can see an attack coming, but the animation is stopping me from dodging or that if the shotgun is supposed to be the way I defeat them, I should have a way of getting out of their attacks that seem to come from everywhere. It could be that you're just at a higher skill level than me, but I don't think I'm terrible at this game and I'm getting wrekt.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I forgot how unpleasant certain sections of this game are. Some of the worst platforming segments in gaming, holy hell.

Lady has less problems with sharks than most characters, she may even have the easiest time. Equip handguns and use charge shots while double jumping and you can use wire pull and slam to help after popping them out of the ground. She'll kill them very quickly.

I do wish she had more ground options for mobility but her rocket jump works well enough.

Veelk

Banned
Lady has less problems with sharks than most characters, she may even have the easiest time. Equip handguns and use charge shots while double jumping and you can use wire pull and slam to help after popping them out of the ground. She'll kill them very quickly.

I do wish she had more ground options for mobility but her rocket jump works well enough.

I do exactly that, but it doesn't seem to work as effectively as it does for you and badwolf. Me jumping around and trying to get off charged shots just leads to the sharks jumping out of the ground out of nowhere and hitting me. Either I don't see them coming at all, or I'm already in some kind of animation (recovery from a shotgun blast or whatever) to dodge.

Top Bottom