• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Dahbomb

We get it, you don't like MGR. Go to the MGR OT and complain about it there please.

Anyone got a nice style video of Lady yet? o:
People are still experimenting and finding tech. Give it a week.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Can't for the life of me get an S rank on Mission 2 as Vergil. I'm too damn powerful and every enemy in that level on Devil Hunter dies too fast.

S ranking all of Human mode is actually really annoying because the enemies die so quickly. That was the case in vanilla as well.

Off-topic but you know what we really need? Another Shinobi game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QHDZ2n3M9Y

I adore Shinobi and Nightshade/Kunoichi. I played Nightshade until I S ranked everything for the costumes. I wish we could get another.

Can't for the life of me get an S rank on Mission 2 as Vergil. I'm too damn powerful and every enemy in that level on Devil Hunter dies too fast.
Take no damage is the easiest way to do that one on Devil Hunter. The style requirement for an S is 6500 and pretty annoying to reach, you can get around 2000 pretty easily against Berial if you just get the crumple into full steam or whatever other massive style gaining attack you want. But no damage adds a 1.5x multiplier to your score.

Golnei

Anybody would like a Devil May Cry spin-off where you play as Dante during the SMT:Nocturne events until he joins Demi-Fiend?

BTW gameplay would be like classic series DMC with maybe some twists to fit SMT gameplay

Another actual collaboration between series would probably be impossible, but I'd love it if Kaneko worked on a future DMC. It's tragic that it's almost been seven years since he's been involved with the art direction of any game at all.

Finally got through my first playthrough w/ Vergil.
Holy shit Sanctus is a fucking pushover.

It's probably the only time I've actually enjoyed fighting Sanctus. The lock-on defaulting to his orbs was annoying, but not much of an issue considering everything else that made the fight so tedious is completely trivialised by Vergil.

Is anyone else really not feeling trish? She's not bad per se and has some neat tricks, but I'm having a hard time finishing her campaign mostly out of boredom. I may not be utilizing her completely, particularly with her guns (they're kind of awkward to pull out, I think), but for the most part, her fighting style has a strong been there done that sort of vibe. I'll work myself through finishing her, but whereas Lady left me wowed, Trish is just very meh

I mostly feel the same way - Lady and Vergil are unique characters who allow you to approach the game in completely different ways; but Trish is basically just a neutered Dante - fun on LDK, but fairly boring when compared to the rest of the cast. I hope a hypothetical sequel tries to differentiate her in a major way. Giving her more in the way of traps via lingering charge shots and various kinds of homing lightning mines (to replace Pandora) would help, as would adding a few 360-degree inputs if they really don't want to give her any toggles. It might also be interesting to take her two attack buttons further, and have them be used in sequence with each other as light/heavy combo buttons, as with Bayonetta - it'd be a terrible direction for the main game, but it could work as a gimmick for Trish alone.

have you figured out how to remove parts from the .mod files?
i've screwed around switching outfits between dante and vergil but the main thing holding me back is how their gauntlets will show up permanently

Wouldn't you have to edit the model manually for that? I don't think it was possible to remove Gilgamesh in the original game without doing so, at least...

Lord Dante

Neo Member
Oh, I know of the insanity that happened before and after DmC came out. Before I came to Neogaf, I was on Gamefaqs and it was a train-wreck the whole time. That fans of the classic series were being viewed as "unreasonably defiant" and "hated change." It was ridiculous. As if I was obligated to accept any form of game just because.

Before I came here, I joined many DMC-related forums where pros there would tell me the exact same thing and would spew nonsense like, "you're blinded by nostalgia". They even tried defending Tameem and Capcom's atrocious attitude towards the classic DMC's and said that we were all just "sensitive/brittle fanboys". It was unbelievable.

Those were some very dark days during the DmC years and I'm happy that the true DMC is back.
I missed uncle Dante so much.

kUQipD6.jpg

I do have to say, NeoGaf has the best DMC community.

mooncakes

Next level Vergil tech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0QHbfblBck

ChaserTech is claiming you can cancel Teleports into perfect Judgment Cuts. That's insane to me! In the video he is showcasing Tricks being canceled into regular Judgment Cuts which gives Vergi inertia.

I saw this, it's not a combo video... it's a game play video or rather a stylish run video.

I'm totally clueless on this modding stuff..how did he stop the timer in bloody palace?

Dahbomb

Most places on the Internet especially the hardcore DMC forums were pretty down on DmC though.

The only place that was fully supporting DmC at the time was DMC.org. After DmC's release the IGN DMC boards were pretty much nuked from orbit, DmC killed it. DmC was always mixed on GAF.

4Chan hates DmC so much they didn't include it in their recent Style tournament despite having a lot of crud games on there that have no business being on there over DmC. Now that's the type of irrational hate that creates the negative image of the community.

Lord Dante

Neo Member
The only place that was fully supporting DmC at the time was DMC.org. After DmC's release the IGN DMC boards were pretty much nuked from orbit, DmC killed it.

I'm not gonna go into too much detail about that place, but I had to leave there because of how the situation had become.

All I'm gonna say is that it's fine if you like the reboot and all. I don't care. But going as far as to trolling, flip flipping, harassing and even dropping inappropriate comments about your sexual orientation/preference is unacceptable. That's where you draw the line.

Zocano

DmC hate is so fucking weird to me. I get being attached to characters but the pushback against the game is so so so crazy. I haven't personally played it but I've been meaning to pick up the fancy edition. Being angry with all the PR is fine, that seemed like a shit show but everything I've seen of the game (I've seen a lot), the game just seems inoffensive.

Aizo

Banned
Aizo said:
Tried to start this up on my PC, but I was getting terrible FPS...

Intel core i7, GTX 770m, 8GB of RAM.... My computer isn't amazing, but it should surely be able to handle stable 60FPS at low settings, right? It can handle more demanding games at higher settings. Is this game well optimized?
Still hoping for an answer. I'm getting like 25fps.

I like fun. Rising isn't fun. Nothing about it is.

Everything about Rising is fun though.

DmC hate is so fucking weird to me. I get being attached to characters but the pushback against the game is so so so crazy. I haven't personally played it but I've been meaning to pick up the fancy edition. Being angry with all the PR is fine, that seemed like a shit show but everything I've seen of the game (I've seen a lot), the game just seems inoffensive.

Is it really that hard to understand? You don't have a favorite video game that you hold in some high regard? Mario, Zelda, Halo, Gears, Uncharted, Castlevania, MGS, RE, SH, FF... Nothing?

Vex_

Banned
Just got this game and one thing that REALLY bothrrs me is that there isnt a training mode for such a combo heavy game.

Bloody palace has a timer, which is idiotic.

You would think that they would have a sort of training area where you could test your abilities/combos without enemies dying all the time or the game FREAKING TAKING CONTROL AWAY FROM THE PLAYER TO PAN THE CAMERA OUT OVER AN AREA.

That last part really pisses me off. Makes me remember why I hated last generation so much. Taking control away from me. Stop.

Also. No retry button to get instant runbacks. I can't stress enough how important that is to me. So far, quite a frustrating game.

Seyavesh

having a toxic PR campaign that has it's mess spread long tendrils into communities leaving a long term negative impression with folks surprises you?

the combination of being an unworthy successor in terms of actual quality and the toxic attitude towards fans of the series it appropriated should be enough to understand why there's still a lingering hate for the game

Dugna

Vergil just decimates any difficult under SoS with ease or even being good at him, thought I could get some fun out of Devil hunter but I guess I'll make that run later just for the trophy or something.

What difficulty gives more souls LDK or SoS?

Sephzilla

MGS2 Raiden is the type if character you'd get if Otacon wrote the script. He's stupid. MGS4 and Rising Raiden is B movie cheese, which is exactly what Metal Gear is, as hell and he's awesome for it.

Back on topic. Gameplay wise DMC4 Vergil might be my favorite DMC character. The guy is pure fucking awesome.

nded

It was a game with merely decent combat mechanics in a series known for defining Stylish Action as we know it and whose last two games are still considered high water marks for the genre.

Also, the PR and media coverage basically called OG DMC fans dumb luddites with white hair fetishes and then accused them of sabotaging Ninja Theory's otherwise inevitable financial success and video game narrative revolution by not buying enough copies of this game that was apparently not intended for them.

Sephzilla

WellThereItIs.gif

Vanilla DmC was the absolute definition of mediocrity

Mr. X

It was a game with merely decent combat mechanics in a series known for defining Stylish Action as we know it and whose last two games are still considered high water marks for the genre.

Also, the PR and media coverage basically called OG DMC fans dumb luddites with white hair fetishes and then accused them of sabotaging Ninja Theory's otherwise inevitable financial success and video game narrative revolution by not buying enough copies of this game that was apparently not intended for them.
This. It was like going from top shelf to warm keystone lights. And if you called it bad, you were called names and when you didnt buy it, you were called more names.

Just got this game and one thing that REALLY bothrrs me is that there isnt a training mode for such a combo heavy game.

Bloody palace has a timer, which is idiotic.

You would think that they would have a sort of training area where you could test your abilities/combos without enemies dying all the time or the game FREAKING TAKING CONTROL AWAY FROM THE PLAYER TO PAN THE CAMERA OUT OVER AN AREA.

That last part really pisses me off. Makes me remember why I hated last generation so much. Taking control away from me. Stop.

Also. No retry button to get instant runbacks. I can't stress enough how important that is to me. So far, quite a frustrating game.
Yah I agree a training mode would have been nice, and probably not that intensive to implement on a tight budget (just grab a scarecrow and give him infinite health, on a bp level with no timer). Toggle timer for BP would have taken like less than a day to implement... These are a must for DMC5....

Baalzebup

Whelp, finished getting some feeling back by getting S rank on Devil hunter on every mission, with all characters. To this day, I'm always forget to even try to get Neros Ex-Act to work so I'm definitely behind there. Charge shot 3 all day long tho.

I'm totally out of my league with Uncle Dante for the most part, but I can still whip out some stylin' now and then. Vergil is such a monster that I essentially forget to use DT with him altogether. I guess that will fix itself when I'm moving on to the higher difficulties. Lady is a destroyer, pure and simple. All 3 of her weapons rock face so hard when you start applying the charges. Trish is pretty basic, but still decent fun to use. I resent her lack of options on dealing with Blitzes though. Luce and Ombra basic damage is pretty crazy high, but still not enough when compared to the other options. Facing the Blitz with her VS what happened with Vergil was such a stark contrast.

Seyavesh

trish vs blitz is super annoying

i discovered that if you can actually get them to be hit by a charged volcano then it'll instantly shred their shield but that's like a completely unfeasible situation

can't wait to see what folks come up with her in regards to dealing with 'em because my current method is just DTing and hammering em with bullets

^ Thanks for watching Sey' :D
How is Intertia Rainstorm going? :)

No lock on toggle.

As bad as it sounds, DmC got me into a bad habit of that. Even after all the years of playing DMC4 I still wish I had toggle-on. :(

Also, I thought this was quite funny. If you search for Hideaki itsuno on Google, you get this:
JKMruZ4.png

I'm enjoying the hell out Trish. Found a bit of tech with her but not amazing yet.

Lastly(To go back on topic):
Was takling to more during my stream yesterday, they all think Vergil needs balancing/tweaking. I'll a video or something but so many people I know say he needs Tweaking.

trish vs blitz is super annoying

i discovered that if you can actually get them to be hit by a charged volcano then it'll instantly shred their shield but that's like a completely unfeasible situation

can't wait to see what folks come up with her in regards to dealing with 'em because my current method is just DTing and hammering em with bullets

I hated it until i realized the pandora laser beam destroys them

It is also pretty easy to hit with if you wait for them to do their own laser beam

As bad as it sounds, DmC got me into a bad habit of that. Even after all the years of playing DMC4 I still wish I had toggle-on. :(

Also, I thought this was quite funny. If you search for Hideaki itsuno on Google, you get this:
JKMruZ4.png

Lol, one of these things is not like the other =p Speaking of Dragon's Dogma, I wonder if there are any lessons he can take from developing that, no necessarily the open world of course.

But yeah, I hope DMC5 will have toggle- Using 3 fingers to do 1 move is too much for me @_@ Mostly because I'm too used to that from Rising and Souls.

At least make it an option like other games.

Baalzebup

I hated it until i realized the pandora laser beam destroys them

It is also pretty easy to hit with if you wait for them to do their own laser beam

Gah, I knew I was forgetting something in her arsenal :S. 'till next time, you electricity covered shitmunk. I've got your number now.

NCSX has always been more reliable for me; I try to avoid Play-Asia whenever I can. They take way too long and have screwed up a couple orders for me. YesAsia is terrible, though I haven't used them in a long time. I remember preordering a game, and when the game launched, they said they wouldn't have it for two weeks, and they wouldn't let me cancel my order. I made up some lie about my credit card being compromised and needing to cancel my order and place it again, and then bought it somewhere else.

As for the DLC code, if I'm not mistaken, it expires June 30, 2016. So you have a while.

I appreciate the information. Yeah, Yes Asia has by far the best price and shipping for me, but I am leaning more towards NCSX or even Play Asia due to some horror stories I've heard about Yes Asia. Going to try to make my decision by this weekend hopefully. Using Paypal would probably be a good idea, right? I could just get the digital version and I would surely be playing it much faster, but for some reason I want physical copy for something as beloved as DMC4.

Aske

So am I crazy, or is this the best action game ever created? Turbo, LDK mode, five deep, unique characters? This blows both Bayos, DMC 1 and 3, and Ninja Gaiden 2 out of the water for me. The nuance and depth of the combat mechanics...It's on another level. I always loved Nero, with his exceed system and Devil Buster; but Virgil, Lady and Trish, and LDK mode feels like a generational leap in action gaming.

So yeah, really fucking enjoying this.

So am I crazy, or is this the best action game ever created? Turbo, LDK mode, five deep, unique characters? This blows both Bayos, DMC 1 and 3, and Ninja Gaiden 2 out of the water for me. The nuance and depth of the combat mechanics...It's on another level. I always loved Nero, with his exceed system and Devil Buster; but Virgil, Lady and Trish, and LDK mode feels like a generational leap in action gaming.

It's the best combat without a doubt, though the rest of the package in terms of campaign, pacing, and structure is extremely rough and uneven. That honor goes to the likes of DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden Black.

Baalzebup

Hmm. I don't think I've seen it mentioned, but I may have just missed it. Either way, Vergils summoned swords totally cancel out Sanctus' firebolts/balls/whatever. You can just hammer the shoot button and plot your next diabolical move without moving an inch where that particular move is concerned.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro

Combat by itself is not enough.

It's the best combat without a doubt, though the rest of the package in terms of campaign, pacing, and structure is extremely rough and uneven. That honor goes to the likes of DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden Black.

Indeed.

Top Bottom