• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Roussow

How are the tutorials in this game?

I struggle to intuit alot of character action games at face value, so I end up missing out on a bunch of the more sophisticated techniques, will the game do a good job of teaching me how to play well?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, I got hit with the Dante RG Glitch, and it's pretty hilarious. I'm having too much fun messing around with him.

0PGCwNY.gif

tl39thg.gif

Also, I hadn't realized that Lady says "Sorry!" when she performs Enemy Step. It's cute.

How are the tutorials in this game?

I struggle to intuit alot of character action games at face value, so I end up missing out on a bunch of the more sophisticated techniques, will the game do a good job of teaching me how to play well?

Unfortunately not. The tutorials in the game won't teach you a quarter of the mechanics. That's what the tutorial and character introduction videos in the OP are for.

Mizerman

So, I got hit with the Dante RG Glitch, and it's pretty hilarious. I'm having too much fun messing around with him.

0PGCwNY.gif

tl39thg.gif

Also, I hadn't realized that Lady says "Sorry!" when she performs Enemy Step. It's cute

Pfft. Uncle Dante doesn't like it when somebody trolls him.

Ha!

KingBroly

Banned
So am I crazy, or is this the best action game ever created? Turbo, LDK mode, five deep, unique characters? This blows both Bayos, DMC 1 and 3, and Ninja Gaiden 2 out of the water for me. The nuance and depth of the combat mechanics...It's on another level. I always loved Nero, with his exceed system and Devil Buster; but Virgil, Lady and Trish, and LDK mode feels like a generational leap in action gaming.

So yeah, really fucking enjoying this.

Bayonetta 1 and 2 have more options as well as more spectacle. Because those dumb down basic requirements for combos (aka not buying them) you can pretty much do anything at any point. When you buy more Weapons you can create more weapon combinations which makes it extremely deep and satisfying.

I think DMC4 has some excellent combat, but the 2nd half of the game recycling all of that content is really tiresome.

Akiller

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/de...32/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

BTW a lot of interesting tidbits in this Itsuno interview. If you read between the lines you can sort of guess what might end up making it into

*Itsuno says that he has been asked about co-op a lot and he certainly has tinkered with it in the past. This tells me that there might be a possibility of some form of co-op in DMC5.

And about Sparda game Too, Itsuno lurking GAF confirmed.

Also, oh Man a Lady game would have been awesome, Itsuno's Bayonetta basically.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/de...32/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

BTW a lot of interesting tidbits in this Itsuno interview. If you read between the lines you can sort of guess what might end up making it into DMC5.

*Itsuno says that he has been asked about co-op a lot and he certainly has tinkered with it in the past. This tells me that there might be a possibility of some form of co-op in DMC5.

*Itsuno says that he wants to retain the high level play of DMC but make it easier for people to get to that level. That pretty much tells me that there are going to be more Vergil-esque type designed characters in DMC5. I know a few people who have gotten into DMC4 first time with DMC4SE and they are having a blast playing as Vergil because they feel it's easier to do stuff similar to what they see in the combo videos.

*Says that if DmC was a smash worldwide hit it would've probably replaced DMC series proper. He also basically implied that if it failed completely there wouldn't have been a DmC DE. So he's happy that DmC ended up being somewhere in the middle.

*Itsuno is a huge fan of Lady and even considered a Lady spin off game after DMC3. That pretty much tells me that Lady is probably coming back for DMC5.

I thought of this and it would be pretty cool to have a pure human demon hunter who uses sorcery or other abilities (like Lady only instead of technology he uses ancient magic and other traditional tools like Geralt from Witcher). Sort of like a holy Paladin knight. Maybe there's a cult that has been passed on for generations and operates as a right nut demon hunting clan and sees Dante as a threat.

The hunter would use stuff like holy water imbued weaponry and other tools to make himself stronger/faster to keep up with Dante.
I'm liking what I'm reading...
I honestly thought the setting and story in DmC was pretty good. I mean, honestly, and I'm sure this probably not going to be popular to say here, but DMC's storyline is mostly gibberish to me. Like, I have absolutely no idea what is happening in DMC4, I could skip all of the cutscenes and the experience would be the same outside a few cool Dante moments. I liked the whole dual world of DmC, there was a lot of potential there.

I do agree the designs were weaker overall, though.
The DmC story, while plenty coherent, is super generic though. The world is bland aside from Limbo, which is fine I suppose, since that's where all the game's action takes place. But the story was just not appealing to me in any sense. So generic it hurts. "Anonymous! Banks running the world! Soda companies are controlling you! FOX NEWS!"

Like, I get that creating analogies and allegories to real life works in some scenarios, but this was not one of those scenarios. It didn't work. It was a really shallow, thinly veiled attempt at a message that was so bland, so blatantly playing to the masses (ironically enough) that it just felt empty. Hollow. Soulless.

Then near the end it actually tries to accomplish things from a character perspective but it fails miserably. I didn't care about Dante at all. Sure, he grew on me, in the sense that I didn't find him irritating. Beyond that I couldn't give a shit about him at all. Didn't care about Kat or Vergil either. Oh, and the bit about nephilim? Paging literally any other gothic-fantasy series out there. The entirety of all of it felt so paint-by-numbers it hurt. Granted it works, technically, but it feels so generic, shallow, and paper thin that it may as well just not even exist. Oh and the edgy for the sake of being edgy caused nonstop eye rolling.
Most places on the Internet especially the hardcore DMC forums were pretty down on DmC though.

The only place that was fully supporting DmC at the time was DMC.org. After DmC's release the IGN DMC boards were pretty much nuked from orbit, DmC killed it. DmC was always mixed on GAF.

4Chan hates DmC so much they didn't include it in their recent Style tournament despite having a lot of crud games on there that have no business being on there over DmC. Now that's the type of irrational hate that creates the negative image of the community.
I'm curious: what were all the games in that Style tournament? Just curious.
WellThereItIs.gif

Vanilla DmC was the absolute definition of mediocrity
Skill ceiling was so low that I had to sleep on the floor just so I wouldn't hit it waking up in the morning.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Still hoping for an answer. I'm getting like 25fps.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/329050/discussions/0/598199244893209748/

It seems some users' system defaults to Intel's integrated graphics. You should be able to enable the dedicated Nvidia chip by following the steps below.

1) Open Nvidia Control Panel
2) Select Manage 3D settings from the left window pane
3) Under Program Settings, click the Add button
4) Select the DMC4SE icon from the list; if it's not visible, manually locate the executable file by clicking the Browse... button.
5) Once the executable is highlighted, select 'High Performance NVIDIA Processor from the pull-down menu.
6) Click Apply and close the Control Panel
7) Run the game

You can see which gpu the game is using when you run the in game performance test in the bottom corner spec list.

I had to do the same for my laptop as well. It isn't as optimized as vanilla dmc4, but your fps should hit a steady 60, easy.

Soodanim

I played some Vergil LDK the other day, and I realised something: I'm tattoo impatient when I start a DMC game, and I have to really playing does while to get into the correct playstyle. Because I'm impatient. And I'm affected by the style gauge. I know should ignore it until I've got all the upgrades, but I can't. It taunts me, telling I'm shit. So I'm fighting what's his face the fire demon, and he ends up ruining me because I'm more interested in DPS than not getting hit. And that's not the way to do it when he's summoning fire.

I also need to unlock all of Vergil's upgrades so that I can get this "DMC3 V is better" out of my head. At base all he's got over 3 is frame perfect judgement cuts. Which are pretty damn good, but I miss all of his moves. And trick down. And what's with tagging before you trick?

And why does the game offer no explanation of the motivation bar?

The DmC story, while plenty coherent, is super generic though. The world is bland aside from Limbo, which is fine I suppose, since that's where all the game's action takes place. But the story was just not appealing to me in any sense. So generic it hurts. "Anonymous! Banks running the world! Soda companies are controlling you! FOX NEWS!"
The best summary I can give to how uninspired DmC's story is that it's They Live with demons featuring subplots involving Slurm and Bill O'Riley.

The fact that it doesn't even try to emulate the best scene from They Live is even more frustrating.

Like, I get that creating analogies and allegories to real life works in some scenarios, but this was not one of those scenarios. It didn't work. It was a really shallow, thinly veiled attempt at a message that was so bland, so blatantly playing to the masses (ironically enough) that it just felt empty. Hollow. Soulless.

I've said this in the Hellblade thread, but Ninja Theory's writing lack subtlety- They really want you to know what the theme about their game is. It's really obviously in DmC and it's looking to be that way in Hellblade, both of which were written in-house.

I thought of this and it would be pretty cool to have a pure human demon hunter who uses sorcery or other abilities (like Lady only instead of technology he uses ancient magic and other traditional tools like Geralt from Witcher). Sort of like a holy Paladin knight. Maybe there's a cult that has been passed on for generations and operates as a right nut demon hunting clan and sees Dante as a threat.

The hunter would use stuff like holy water imbued weaponry and other tools to make himself stronger/faster to keep up with Dante.

I've recently thought up of a character that was like a master swordsman who taught Vergil his iaijutsu style of fighting (which is some that requires discipline and concentration), Nero sought him out to learn how to control and use the Yamato devil arms.

And he may or may not be base off this guy-

e7CNCv8l.jpg

...Just saying =3

So am I crazy, or is this the best action game ever created? Turbo, LDK mode, five deep, unique characters? This blows both Bayos, DMC 1 and 3, and Ninja Gaiden 2 out of the water for me. The nuance and depth of the combat mechanics...It's on another level. I always loved Nero, with his exceed system and Devil Buster; but Virgil, Lady and Trish, and LDK mode feels like a generational leap in action gaming.

So yeah, really fucking enjoying this.

I'd still say Bayonetta 1 and 2 are better combat-wise than DMC4.

Nemesis_

I'm loving Lady so far since I knew what to expect with Vergil I'm leaving his playthrough until later.

Does anyone know if playing as Lady changes the way the style system works? I'm hitting SSS way more often than I used to and I swear I'm accumulating both Proud and Red Orbs faster than I remember doing it in the original DMC4. That being said, her crowd control methods mesh almost brokenly with the LDK enemy counts.

Similarly I remember Access Games were developing this - did they design the new characters or did the original DMC4 team have their hand in making them?

I'm loving Lady so far since I knew what to expect with Vergil I'm leaving his playthrough until later.

Does anyone know if playing as Lady changes the way the style system works? I'm hitting SSS way more often than I used to ... That being said, her crowd control methods mesh almost brokenly with the LDK enemy counts.
Lady feels kinda gimmicky. Level 3 charges net you S(SS) styles near immediately.
and I swear I'm accumulating both Proud and Red Orbs faster than I remember doing it in the original DMC4
It got cranked up a good amount from vanilla, yeah.
Similarly I remember Access Games were developing this - did they design the new characters or did the original DMC4 team have their hand in making them?
I'm not sure if Access was involved, but Itsuno did 4SE.

Nemmy

It got cranked up a good amount from vanilla, yeah.

I wonder what the sales will end up being for the microtransactions DLC, considering how easy to get both currencies are now. Good thing Capcom's busy regaining their godhood and didn't screw with the game economy to make more people buy them.

BadWolf

Does anyone know if playing as Lady changes the way the style system works? I'm hitting SSS way more often than I used to and I swear I'm accumulating both Proud and Red Orbs faster than I remember doing it in the original DMC4.

The Proud souls and Red Orbs were adjusted in general to make upgrading faster for everyone.

Lady does well with the style meter because the game always liked it when you did big damage and hit multiple enemies, and she does that well. Even Nero could get high style by just using Charge Shot 3 in vanilla DMC4.

Klossen

Banned
I forgot how gorgeous and fun DMC4 was. Currently replaying with Nero and I'm having an utter blast with the combat. Can't wait to dig further in with all the other characters.

trish vs blitz is super annoying

i discovered that if you can actually get them to be hit by a charged volcano then it'll instantly shred their shield but that's like a completely unfeasible situation

can't wait to see what folks come up with her in regards to dealing with 'em because my current method is just DTing and hammering em with bullets

Pandora missiles are decent and the lightning from the dive kick hurts him too. It is still slow going for me, but I can beat them consistently now.

And nothing wrong with DT for Trish-- that seems to be her whole deal. Not much damage normal but she builds meter ridiculously fast and her real damage comes from DT. Just got set up all her screen covering shit and you'll be in DT in no time. Her special taunt at S-rank or w/e is awesome too. After a long start up, she blows a kiss that pretty much gets you instant SSS if it hits an enemy (and it causes a hard knockdown)

Shauni

I think this got a little buried in all the reboot hate stuff

So, what's the best way to kill the phantom things with Trish? Mission 12 DK is feeling just like...impossible because of those shits. It's like 4 of them take almost half the time to fucking kill.

I think this got a little buried in all the reboot hate stuff
From my experience it's just guns, keep shooting them (mash the shoot button) and they'll break right when they go to attack, then catch them with a lightning trap and round trip them

Similar strategy for the tougher one with the laser fingers, but haven't really figured out a better way to deal with him yet (if there even is one)

I tried using normal moves on them or even round tripping them while still in shadow form but nothing seems to be as effective as guns

Nemesis_

I thought AG was only involved in the PC port? Now I'm confused.

Oh? Maybe I was wrong then. I just assumed Capcom was stretched thin and Access Games assisted. Possible they might've only done the PC port then. I can only go by what Swery said.

PS. The dice game is so much more bearable now omg

Shauni

From my experience it's just guns, keep shooting them (mash the shoot button) and they'll break right when they go to attack, then catch them with a lightning trap and round trip them

Similar strategy for the tougher one with the laser fingers, but haven't really figured out a better way to deal with him yet (if there even is one)

I tried using normal moves on them or even round tripping them while still in shadow form but nothing seems to be as effective as guns

Yeah, I was hoping there was something else, but I guess that's it. Man, Mission 12 in DK feels impossible with her. That section with them alone eats up so much time. I wish they would've just but the timer out. Timer's are stupid.

I wonder what the sales will end up being for the microtransactions DLC, considering how easy to get both currencies are now. Good thing Capcom's busy regaining their godhood and didn't screw with the game economy to make more people buy them.
If anything gets a decent amount of money, I bet it's blue orbs. Secret Missions aren't too compelling. Proud Souls are bound to get some people though.

It kinda feels like they slapped the DLC in last minute, or that the higher ups wanted it done and the devs made the choice to crank up the rate separately/earlier.

Shauni

Can't you also get the Super costumes by paying? I'd say a few people will buy them that way, because DMD is pretty hard. I think 4's DMD wasn't as bad as previous games, but still, I can see the less "core" wanting to not bother.

Yeah, I was hoping there was something else, but I guess that's it. Man, Mission 12 in DK feels impossible with her. That section with them alone eats up so much time. I wish they would've just but the timer out. Timer's are stupid.
Pretty much. I think Trish might be my favorite character to play as at the moment, but there's definitely a few encounters that emphasize how limited her options are

Nemesis_

Can't you also get the Super costumes by paying? I'd say a few people will buy them that way, because DMD is pretty hard. I think 4's DMD wasn't as bad as previous games, but still, I can see the less "core" wanting to not bother.

Supers affect your ranking though, right? So if achievement whores wanted to just buy them they'd only get half the possible achievements, I guess.

I'll be honest:

I hate Secret Missions.

I truly, genuinely do.

They aren't fun. They're a waste of time, and once I complete them, I'm not going back.

Shauni

Supers affect your ranking though, right? So if achievement whores wanted to just buy them they'd only get half the possible achievements, I guess.

Yeah, I think it's a penalty, but I talking more along the lines of the more average gamer who doesn't care that much to 100% stuff.

Dahbomb

I've said this in the Hellblade thread, but Ninja Theory's writing lack subtlety- They really want you to know what the theme about their game is. It's really obviously in DmC and it's looking to be that way in Hellblade, both of which were written in-house.

I've recently thought up of a character that was like a master swordsman who taught Vergil his iaijutsu style of fighting (which is some that requires discipline and concentration), Nero sought him out to learn how to control and use the Yamato devil arms.

And he may or may not be base off this guy-

e7CNCv8l.jpg

...Just saying =3
You have it wrong. Vergil wasn't taught by that guy...

Vergil taught him.

Thoroughly managed to embarrass myself on stream by getting wrecked on VMD. I never showed Vergil my Motivation.
Did gain 2 followers though despite my scrub tactics , thank you Berserker708 and Holydragon67 !

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If anything gets a decent amount of money, I bet it's blue orbs. Secret Missions aren't too compelling. Proud Souls are bound to get some people though.

It kinda feels like they slapped the DLC in last minute, or that the higher ups wanted it done and the devs made the choice to crank up the rate separately/earlier.

You get Blue Orbs from the secret missions? I thought it was just chunks and not the whole one.

ViviOggi

Can't wait for Tameem's take on mental illness

Lord Dante

Neo Member
That's one thing he's saying, but the other thing seems to be that the future of the series isn't decided, yet. Could just be playing coy, though.

I kinda figured that they had made their decision after people voted with their wallets numerous times :/

But you could be right. Could be him just playing coy like Squeenix with FFVII remake.

Top Bottom