• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Seyavesh

^ Thanks for watching Sey' :D
How is Intertia Rainstorm going?

more or less got it off basic launcher stuff now but can't fit it into any combo cuz i have to go into weird grip to do it

also holy shit at that 2nd trish combo

also the first trish combo because on rewatch i just realized he relaunched with the kiss taunt aaaaa

Frantic

Aren't those Tool Assisted runs though?
Don't think so. First one has been in since vanilla, but Nero couldn't cross the gap with his toolset as far as I know. Second one I just replicated, and I'm gonna abuse the hell out of it when I reach that mission in DMD. That mission is ass.

Don't think so. First one has been in since vanilla, but Nero couldn't cross the gap with his toolset as far as I know. Second one I just replicated, and I'm gonna abuse the hell out of it when I reach that mission in DMD. That mission is ass.
Well it says DMC4SE Vergil DMD TA M16 2m59s New BUG!!! I assumed TA meant tool assisted but I dunno..

Baalzebup

So, wait... the 6 or so on the store as DLC is just the mission ones?

I'm pretty sure they are the ones you can buy from the ingame store with red orbs. Which you can easily earn in a single playthrough anyway. Edit: though the store page does mention all 14 orbs, so I guess you can buy even the ones that you'd normally get from the missions as well. Either way, seems like a crazy thing to pay money for.

Seyavesh

Anyone know how to get Trish's alternate color? I got Lady's but I didn't get hers...

b or lower rank on mission 20 guarantees you getting trish for credits over lady

i couldn't get it by normal means so i just broke whatever-his-name-is's shield and then used like 8 holy waters

style points: 100

hell yeah

silva1991

How do I interact with objects that require anima mercury something? I finished chapter 3 and I think the game give me the anima thingy , but I played chapter 3 again and still couldn't do anything about the objects.

BadWolf

How do I interact with objects that require anima mercury something? I finished chapter 3 and I think the game give me the anima thingy , but I played chapter 3 again and still couldn't do anything about the objects.

You will have to play beyond mission 3 to make use of that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Depending on your character, melee or buster the large top sculpture things to activate them. You need to in order to leave the first room in Mission 4.

attack or shoot them to get them spinning, then melee or buster again to send them flying.

is that the spinning tops one?

Hit them with melee to turn them on, and then you can push them around. Shooting them with guns will make them spin faster and move further

Shauni

Boom, found the way to kill those phantom things with Trish easily. The Revenge attack with Pandora one-shot kills them. Managed to take out all four of them at once on DK that was giving me trouble before.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm pretty sure they are the ones you can buy from the ingame store with red orbs. Which you can easily earn in a single playthrough anyway. Edit: though the store page does mention all 14 orbs, so I guess you can buy even the ones that you'd normally get from the missions as well. Either way, seems like a crazy thing to pay money for.

Hmm... that'd be faster than finding the stupid chunks to make whole orbs for me, personally. I really just wish they'd have given the option to buy in-game past the 6 store limit.

Shauni

Looking at the store now, I don't think the orbs you buy are specific to ones in the game. It's just telling you that you can't buy anymore than 14 since that's the max that's allowed in the game.

Shauni

As a man who's favourite character action game is Revengeance, will this blow it out the water? Gotta have something to play after I finish batman.

Blow it out of the water? Nah, I don't think so. But it's really good, though. DMC4 has some big flaws, but overall, it's a great game in the genre.

silva1991

You will have to play beyond mission 3 to make use of that.

Depending on your character, melee or buster the large top sculpture things to activate them. You need to in order to leave the first room in Mission 4.

attack or shoot them to get them spinning, then melee or buster again to send them flying.

is that the spinning tops one?

Hit them with melee to turn them on, and then you can push them around. Shooting them with guns will make them spin faster and move further

Silly me. I should have started chapter 3 before asking questions :p

Golnei

Tried to approximate Eva using Kyrie's outfit. Barring some weird animation issues with the bottom of the dress; it doesn't look that bad in motion.

4e2nnsv2.png

4e1ybpm9.png

As a man who's favourite character action game is Revengeance, will this blow it out the water? Gotta have something to play after I finish batman.

They're fairly different in focus - like the Bayonettas, Metal Gear Rising had a more structured and linear approach which rewarded speed and efficiency and had less of an emphasis on giving the player a varied set of tools to approach encounters with. As an overall game, I prefer MGR, but DMC4's combat is undeniably deeper and more rewarding; especially when SE's additions are taken into account. Though you should probably be warned that unlike MGR, DMC4's climax is considerably weak...

For anyone doing modding here, I've updated my arctool for better DMC4 SE support and added support for 2 TEX formats which are very commonly used in DMC4 SE:
www.tzarsectus.com/tools/ARCtool.rar
www.tzarsectus.com/tools/ARCtool-PC-batch.rar

Thanks for updating it so quickly.

The combat in DMC4 is much better but MGR has a better campaign structure.
I don't think MGR's campaign is any better. The level design is just as linear, and the environment quality drastically drops after the second area. Also forced walking sections, and overall more annoying enemies to fight (plus a terrible camera). It was pretty obvious in the second half of the game how rushed MGR was.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
For anyone doing modding here, I've updated my arctool for better DMC4 SE support and added support for 2 TEX formats which are very commonly used in DMC4 SE:
www.tzarsectus.com/tools/ARCtool.rar
www.tzarsectus.com/tools/ARCtool-PC-batch.rar

Tried to approximate Eva using Kyrie's outfit. Barring some weird animation issues with the bottom of the dress; it doesn't look that bad in motion.

Thanks for updating it so quickly.

You guys are doing great work. Thanks for helping customize the game. I haven't fully dug into the PC version, but I'll be utilizing things like these when I do.

It's a harder game to play, but there's a lot of complexity variance depending on the character you choose. Check out some of the intro/tutorial videos in the OP. The game features arguably the deepest combat in all of gaming, but the campaign itself is riddled with significant backtracking and pacing issues (unlike DMC3, which is the full package to me). That said, anyone that enjoys action games should have this in their library. It's a staple.

I don't think MGR's campaign is any better. The level design is just as linear, and the environment quality drastically drops after the second area. Also forced walking sections, and overall more annoying enemies to fight (plus a terrible camera). It was pretty obvious in the second half of the game how rushed MGR was.

MGR has one of the most fun, exciting climaxes and final boss fights of all time. DMC4's by comparison is incredibly flaccid and predictable, with the two missions that precede it being very boring and concluding on an enemy that barely deserved to be a minor boss, let alone the endgame.

BlackJace

Gunfire and missiles in MGR were annoying as fuck. And forced walking sections brought the game to a crawl.

Still a pretty good game.

MGR has one of the most fun, exciting climaxes and final boss fights of all time. DMC4's by comparison is incredibly flaccid and predictable, with the two missions that precede it being very boring and concluding on an enemy that barely deserved to be a minor boss, let alone the endgame.
One final boss doesn't save a mediocre campaign, let alone the climax part of the boss fight is hidden behind 2 boring ass fights. Should have just made the final part of the fight the only fight. Even then it's nothing to write home about.

Golnei

Both games were rushed, but where MGR only repeated one area and cut to a climax; DMC4 incorporated its infamous padding. The forced walking sections I'd put on the same level as the dice rooms - disruptive to gameplay but partially skippable on subsequent playthroughs. I'm also not sure about the annoying enemies - especially when bosses are taken into account, nothing in MGR comes close to being as bad as the Saviour or either Sanctus battle.

Shauni

Guess it shouldn't be too surprising that in a DMC4 thread most think 4 is better than Rising haha, but I honestly think Rising is probably the better of the two in the end, but both are sort of flawed masterpieces.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Guess it shouldn't be too surprising that in a DMC4 thread most think 4 is better than Rising haha, but I honestly think Rising is probably the better of the two in the end, but both are sort of flawed masterpieces.

I think MGR is brilliant and provides a unique combat experience you can't get most anywhere else. I adore the game and played it to death. It's also remarkable they were able to make the game in 1.5 years. It's a testament to Platinum's ability as a developer, and their ingenuity with combat systems.

It's just a different beast from DMC4. Some people will prefer one style over the other. It's like comparing DMC to NG (let's not).

Campaign-wise, I think they both suffer from issues, as they both felt unfinished. MGR had the advantage of being shorter.

Hypron

Both games were rushed, but where MGR only repeated one area and cut to a climax; DMC4 incorporated its infamous padding. The forced walking sections I'd put on the same level as the dice rooms - disruptive to gameplay but partially skippable on subsequent playthroughs. I'm also not sure about the annoying enemies - especially when bosses are taken into account, nothing in MGR comes close to being as bad as the Saviour or either Sanctus battle.

I'm one of those weird guys that don't mind the dice game, but I still wouldn't put the forced walking segments on the same level. They are skippable as soon as the next area is done loading, and so last less than 5 seconds (apart from that walking segment). That's roughly the length of a DMC load screen (which are more frequent than in MGR).

Nemmy

On combat depth alone, DMC4 wipes the floor with MGR. Also barring the padding and pacing issues, DMC4 being rushed is less visible IMO, while MGR is short and very barebones in many aspects - and its lows are lower than DMC4's. And the free cutting gimmick ends up being really underused, especially for something that was supposed to be the game's main selling point.

I actually prefer playing MGR to DMC4 simply because I suck less at it :p But I think DMC4 is superior overall. But yeah, two flawed masterpieces.

ShinMaruku

I am slowly getting better with some bosses messing me up but I think I just need to grind at them for a bit to get it down. I am messing up big time bustering big attacks although I can use he invincibility window on Nero pretty well. Vergil however, he's running like Kushina
My dark elf Kunoichi in DFO
just bullshitting mechanics with Gorilla ass damage.

ShinMaruku

After feeling like a bad ass in Rising this is a great change of pace, I'd like both concepts to keep evolving. Neior and DMC5 leggo!

Am I the only one who finds it weird Vergil can't trick up when locked on to an opponent. What's the point of it otherwise. It makes it hard to replicate fast multiple helm breakers a la Vergil 3.

Ah so here comes the challenge, DMC4 vs MGR, both flawed masterpieces that were held back by budget and time.

In terms of combat DMC4 wins hands down, I mean just look at it! I can't post gifs on my phone but look at it! But there is something to be said about the easy in which one could just pick up MGR and have fun... and that final boss.

What MGR excels at is the cinematic experience- no not the walking, but the crazy shit you do like running up an exploding building and throwing giant mechs and DYNAMIC BOSS MUSIC. The music and visuals are all stunning. But where as MGR have button prompts and QTEs, DMC4 relies sololy on the players own skill to earn those cinematic moments- for example using Nero's devil bringer to counter bosses.

Actually that's something I was wondering, what do you guys think? Should DMC5 have some of that Platinum cinematics ? No QTEs and button prompts of course.

Ah so here comes the challenge, DMC4 vs MGR, both flawed masterpieces that were held back by budget and time.

In terms of combat DMC4 wins hands down, I mean just look at it! I can't post gifs on my phone but look at it! But there is something to be said about the easy in which one could just pick up MGR and have fun... and that final boss.

What MGR excels at is the cinematic experience- no not the walking, but the crazy shit you do like running up an exploding building and throwing giant mechs and DYNAMIC BOSS MUSIC. The music and visuals are all stunning. But where as MGR have button prompts and QTEs, DMC4 relies sololy on the players own skill to earn those cinematic moments- for example using Nero's devol bringer to counter bosses.

Actually that's something I was wondering, what do you guys think? Should DMC5 have some of that Platinum cinematics ?
If it was in the capacity of specific camera angles to emphasize a particular action, I'd be down for that. Ninja Gaiden always did that shit very well in 1 and 2 with its Ultimate and Obliteration Techniques, and for all the shit DmC gets, it does a little bit of that at points during battle and doesn't disrupt things too much (usually right at the end)

Shauni

On combat depth alone, DMC4 wipes the floor with MGR. Also barring the padding and pacing issues, DMC4 being rushed is less visible IMO, while MGR is short and very barebones in many aspects - and its lows are lower than DMC4's. And the free cutting gimmick ends up being really underused, especially for something that was supposed to be the game's main selling point.

I actually prefer playing MGR to DMC4 simply because I suck less at it :p But I think DMC4 is superior overall. But yeah, two flawed masterpieces.

Eh, I don't really agree, but I don't care a whole to argue it or anything. For me, personally, gun to my head, had to give the edge to one, I'd go with Rising, but I enjoy both equal roughly.

Top Bottom