• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

ViviOggi

What I love about Revengeance's campaign is that it's almost completely trimmed of fat, I'll take that any day over contrived puzzles and awful platforming sections. Any stylish action game should follow suit tbh, just give me some well-paced doses of exploration downtime between encounters and leave it at that.

If it was in the capacity of specific camera angles to emphasize a particular action, I'd be down for that. Ninja Gaiden always did that shit very well in 1 and 2 with its Ultimate and Obliteration Techniques, and for all the shit DmC gets, it does a little bit of that at points during battle and doesn't disrupt things too much (usually right at the end)
As long as it doesn't end up looking like in the Arkham games. Every time you get the slow-mo attack clipping through the last enemy who then spazzes out transitioning into an incredibly awkward ragdoll, holy shit it's so bad

Son Of D

Beat Dante 2 with Lady on no damage on LDK mode and as I do after a boss, I taunted. The end of mission freeze frame gave me this image (not captured directly from my PS4 since I missed it, but I recorded the video clip and took the screenshot from the video on my laptop):

qhFiIOu.jpg

Just seemed fitting.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Beat Dante 2 with Lady on no damage on LDK mode and as I do after a boss, I taunted. The end of mission freeze frame gave me this image (not captured directly from my PS4 since I missed it, but I recorded the video clip and took the screenshot from the video on my laptop):

Just seemed fitting.

Kneel before me dat ass.

Dahbomb

As a man who's favourite character action game is Revengeance, will this blow it out the water? Gotta have something to play after I finish batman.
Nah DMC4 doesn't blow it out of the water but it does some things better and somethings worse.

They are both about the same. MGR has a ton of flash and crazy cinematics plus slow mo kills but there isn't a lot to sink into the combat. It's like you learn how to parry well and you basically beat everything in the game using it.

They both have crud level design but MGR at least doesn't make you backtrack through it. MGR also breaks up the combat with stealth segments which are superior to the puzzles found in DMC4. The final boss also blows away the one in DMC4 and the combat against the grunt type enemies is more engaging in MGR.

DMC4 though has a skill cap higher than any other action game and you can be playing it for years yet still discover new stuff. You get as much out of the game as you put into it. It's not a "hit it and quit it" type game. When you are in DA ZONE in DMC4 while the Style rank is high, you really feel yourself HARD!

ArjanN

MGR is short and very barebones in many aspects - and its lows are lower than DMC4's.

That's definitely not the case IMO. Outside of one forced walking section Revengeance is all killer no filler. DMC4 has way more stuff that stops the pace dead: the backtracking, and basically any time there's a 'puzzle' or platforming section. Hitting the spinning tops around is already worse than anything in MGR.

Shauni

qhFiIOu.jpg

Just seemed fitting.

I had a really hard time with the first three bosses with Lady, but man, she just broke the latter ones outright. Angus, Dante, and Angleo (?) went down like nothing at all.

Son Of D

I had a really hard time with the first three bosses with Lady, but man, she just broke the latter ones outright. Angus, Dante, and Angleo (?) went down like nothing at all.

Yeah I struggled a bit with Lady at first. Berial and Credo gave me some trouble. Haven't got to Sanctus 1 yet with her.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Credo with Lady took me like 10 tries. After that I got gud and started to like playing with her.

Shauni

I thought Credo wasn't too bad with Lady. I wasn't stylish but just shooting rockets from afar was a enough to take him out pretty easily. You can so tell so many things in this game where not designed for good ranged attacks. Credo almost had me when he went for his blitz at 2-3 bars of health, but still not too bad overall.

I'd probably break it down like this.

DMC4:
-more satisfying-to-control characters (both Nero and Dante are much more interesting characters than Raiden in MGR, even if you aren't interested in experimenting with "high-level play")
-better bosses, for the most part

MGR:
-better stage design (the weird stealth implementation isn't the best but I'll take that over DMC4's lame gimmicks and backtracking)
-final boss is the best enemy in either game

I think the games are pretty close, really. DMC4 is probably a little stronger in the end - I don't like the loose, mashy, automatic feel of MGR (the way there is almost no meaningful difference between your attack strings really sucks, and I'm not a fan of how easy and effective blocking is). But even though DMC4 easily trumps it mechanically, it kind of goes without saying that DMC4's structure is really weak - even ignoring the backtracking, the time-wasting puzzles and stage gimmicks are probably the worst in any great action game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Game is a very strange level of quality. The combat is awesome but the level design and camera really bother me. Even if DmC disappears, I hope it's camera makes it into DMC.

Frantic

I got it. I think I finally found my Vergil combo I'll submit for the tournament. I can't believe that shit worked out as well as it did.
I had the most perfect Vergil combo going earlier with the best finish ever and was like "yeeeah man"...

and I wasn't recording.

my soul died a little

Who'd you fight/what did you do?
Mission 4 on SoS, after the hallway that's shooting fire your way, had a bunch of scarecrows and the big guys. I took damage right near the start unfortunately but since the fight was more than 30 seconds I can still include the good part at the end. Put it simply, I used a taunt and the last scarecrow just charged right into it and got knocked out of its attack into the air. Felt so good.

Now I just need to come up with a good combo for the ladies. It's hard to get something with Lady that doesn't just murder enemies quickly and it's difficult to make creative use of Trish's limited options (at least in my case).

nOoblet16

I am loving playing as Vergil, however, some things I find are a bit difficult since the encounters were originally not designed around Vergil. Say for example the swords in the Agnus fight, with Nero you simply grab them and throw at Agnus (I think you grab the swords that are on the ground)...with Vergil I didn't even know what to do so I just kept hitting the swords that were in the air until it finally hit Agnus and I kept doing that until the end...I still don't know what exactly it was that triggered the sword to get launched towards Agnus lol.

Then you have the Cutlass (fish), again Nero could just grab them and Dante had Ebony and Ivory to grab them. Vergil's swords summons fire too slow for this..but I didn't really have any trouble here.

Another one (and this is the one that actually annoys me) is when you encounter Mephistos (crows), 5 devil bringer used to take their cloaks down and Dante could use his shotgun or Pandora for this. Vergil has to use his summoned swords which fires slow, it's quite annoying in that forest level where you have to cross an area while walking on disappearing platforms and these guys show up, their attack pushes you back quite a bit and any fall just means you get down to an area where you defeat some enemies and then come back up to do the same thing. Admittedly I haven't upgraded the sword summon yet as I focused on unlocking the melee movesets first.

BadWolf

I am loving playing as Vergil, however, some things I find are a bit difficult since the encounters were originally not designed around Vergil. Say for example the swords in the Agnus fight, with Nero you simply grab them and throw at Agnus (I think you grab the swords that are on the ground)...with Vergil I didn't even know what to do so I just kept hitting the swords that were in the air until it finally hit Agnus and I kept doing that until the end...I still don't know what exactly it was that triggered the sword to get launched towards Agnus lol.

Then you have the Cutlass (fish), again Nero could just grab them and Dante had Ebony and Ivory to grab them. Vergil's swords summons fire too slow for this..but I didn't really have any trouble here.

Another one (and this is the one that actually annoys me) is when you encounter Mephistos (crows), 5 devil bringer used to take their cloaks down and Dante could use his shotgun or Pandora for this. Vergil has to use his summoned swords which fires slow, it's quite annoying in that forest level where you have to cross an area while walking on disappearing platforms and these guys show up, their attack pushes you back quite a bit and any fall just means you get down to an area where you defeat some enemies and then come back up to do the same thing. Admittedly I haven't upgraded the sword summon yet as I focused on unlocking the melee movesets first.

You hit the swords when they glow yellow to begin to attack, they fly straight at Agnus and the fall on the floor. Any sword that hits the floor flies straight at him if you hit it. You can have multiple swords going at him often.

Mephistos get murdered by him, activate the summons swords to spin around him then trick up to one while doing an air combo and firings swords with the shoot button. Keep canceling the air combo into a trick in the middle to keep the combo going indefinitely. You will take their cloak down in no time and will also stun lock them in that loop till death.

You should definitely check out Vergil's other summon sword abilities. Spiral swords and Blister (I think that's the name? summons a bunch that fire at your lock-on target rapidly) help a lot against those enemies. Vergil is crazy strong.

Shauni

Did she just spank her ass? Lol.

Seems like a common taunt in Japanese media. I assume it's like a kiss my ass kind of thing. I know you see it in anime pretty frequently, that and the classic eyelid pulled down with tongue stuck out.

All your problems can be solved by using Vergil's other Summoned Swords abilities, Spiral and Blistering are crazy powerful against the crows.

BadWolf

Seems like a common taunt in Japanese media. I assume it's like a kiss my ass kind of thing. I know you see it in anime pretty frequently, that and the classic eyelid pulled down with tongue stuck out.

In this case it's a story/character related reference from DMC3.

Fucking awesome. Got the trophy for finishing Echidna with a SSS combo. I was just grim tricking like a spaz and getting hit but landed some good full steam attacks near the end and got my style meter back high enough.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I've got all of Vergil's skills up to Mission 14, but I don't have the all skills gotten achievement. Am I missing something for Vergil?

Nevermind. Nero and Dante are the only ones with "get all their skills" achievements. Derp.

Lord Dante

Neo Member
Missed the opportunity to get the limited edition. Ah, well. However, I'm currently debating whether I should get the Asia version or Japan version.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Game is a very strange level of quality. The combat is awesome but the level design and camera really bother me. Even if DmC disappears, I hope it's camera makes it into DMC.

The campaign is bottom tier stuff, man. I don't know how I tolerated this back in 2008. Thank God for Bloody Palace is all I can say.

Unit24

I still wish Blitzes weren't such a massive pain in the ass to deal with. They're just no fun to fight at all, especially with Dante.

I still wish Blitzes weren't such a massive pain in the ass to deal with. They're just no fun to fight at all, especially with Dante.
The part that fucks me up is that because they jump to so many different spots, I struggle to get the right Summoned Sword formation to hit them sometmies. That and when they're near death and do the suicide attack. It's tough to dodge out of their way consistently.

Shauni

You know, I get they weren't out to out-and-out change the game so much, but playing through as Vergil on SOS and Trish on Dark Knight, I really wish they would have just outright cut chapter 18 and 19. I would say at least cut the pre-gauge fight in mission 18, but I would say the whole thing just needs to go, it sucks so bad. Just play the cutscene from 18 seamlessly after 17 and go right into 20. That would've been a great way to fix something with minimal effort.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm having a really hard time seeing how this is even better than DmC.

DMC3 or DMC4? DMC4's campaign isn't very good, and I never claimed it was. DMC3 is a well told coming-of-age story with well paced encounters, and a compelling narrative/characters. Thematic elements are subtle and consistent as well.

Argh. I wish my copy from Play Asia would show up already! And I can't track it because I picked air economy? I dunno, that's news too me. I guess next time I'll just pay extra for the faster shipping. This is my first time ordering from Play Asia, by the way. I usually stick to eBay, but they were cheaper this time around.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DMC3 or DMC4? DMC4's campaign isn't very good, and I never claimed it was. DMC3 is a well told coming-of-age story with well paced encounters, and a compelling narrative/characters. Thematic elements are subtle and consistent as well.

I love DMC3.
I just am having a difficult time seeing how this one is held in such high regard. I really like DMC1 and 3 as well as DmC. I guess maybe the appeal is just for high level players, which I a very much am not.

Uraizen

Banned
Argh. I wish my copy from Play Asia would show up already! And I can't track it because I picked air economy? I dunno, that's news too me. I guess next time I'll just pay extra for the faster shipping. This is my first time ordering from Play Asia, by the way. I usually stick to eBay, but they were cheaper this time around.

Air economy is usually shit and can take up to 2 or 3 weeks. It will get there in one piece, but it will take forever.

Pappasman

Even though DMC4's campaign is pretty bad, the combat is so fucking good that the rest of the stuff doesn't really bother me at all.

Shauni

I love DMC3.
I just am having a difficult time seeing how this one is held in such high regard. I really like DMC1 and 3 as well as DmC. I guess maybe the appeal is just for high level players, which I a very much am not.

I mean, isolating the campaign away from the general gameplay, DmC's is miles ahead of DMC4. I have a hard believing anyone would seriously believe otherwise. But that's because DMC4's main campaign, by itself, just sucks. It's always sucked, especially the more times you play it and realize just how much it sucks.

But the gameplay itself is just so good, a lot of people overlook it.

I think if they removed all the jumping puzzles and the dice game and replaced Savior fight with dual Credo fight, DMC4's campaign would be decent. The backtracking doesn't get me as much as the dumb jumping puzzles that waste my time. I really wish they would have done that..

Top Bottom