• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Golnei

do vergil and dante really share 90% of their model?
i mean, their faces aren't even the same from what i can tell

I meant Vergil and Dante's extra costume, the Sparda outfit. As with prior incarnations, the only difference between their models is the head and overcoat - but unlike DMC3, they both use the Sparda DT.

It kinda looks like his MvC3 model with upgraded textures to me.

It wouldn't surprise me since MvC and DMC4 run on MT Framework.

@Dahbombs Essay 3 pages back.
Yep I agree with you a lot on that.

Also, I have some unintended tutorials from when I was streaming side I had a few people asking about tech.
I think that if anyone is looking to get into Nero/Dante these might be helpful.
1)Excuse the quality, I just moved into a new house and I'm waiting for better Internet to be installed)
2) sorry about my voice. I have pretty bad hayfever.

Dante: Trickster/Royal Guard dashing:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=suKoBNkuTYw

Nero: Exceed-Act/Max-Act
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uA3iOkzLc8o

Seyavesh

It's not his MvC 3 model. You can look up renders of mvc3 online and they are different.

correct, his mvc3 model is much slimmer and his face is uh, better
like the mvc3 model is just way better tbh

his dmc4 model's face is really weird and he has that same beefy torso body deal that dante has going on which really drives me nuts whenever i see him

also bring back best vergil
86MrRLp.jpg

Frantic

They can also add more mobility options for Dante by using the L1+X function.
Flight related stuff in Devil Trigger, I say. Bring back Flight!

But yeah, I like your newer system a lot. Gotta have the dodge be one button press away, while everything else is available quick and easy without losing anything from the removal of style switching. Also reminds me of Dragon's Dogma's system a bit, which is good and makes it feel like something Itsuno will actually do it.

also bring back best vergil
http://i.imgur.com/86MrRLp.jpg[img][/QUOTE]*nod*

Also Gilver. I don't really care if it's non-canon now or whatever, I want it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Flight related stuff in Devil Trigger, I say. Bring back Flight!

I'm actually pretty disappointed that Trish didn't have unique flight and air dash abilities that would corroborate her UMVC3 incarnation. I think that would have helped flesh her out as a character and make her feel a little more unique.

I'm actually pretty disappointed that Trish didn't have unique flight and air dash abilities that would corroborate her UMVC3 incarnation. I think that would have helped flesh her out as a character and make her feel a little more unique.
Agreed. Air Raid and Vortex would've been cool to see applied to her.

That, and maybe use L2/R2 for something, like toggling extra Pandora transformations and/or different Sparda combos. I still like the direction inputs for gun moves, but maybe having those by default invoke different lightning based properties would be better (like an actual charge shot with Luce and Ombre).

Frantic

Yeah, it's disappointing. I'd like it if she were to get flight next time, and be the only character who can fly outside of DT. Set her apart from the other characters, and give her an interesting and unique method of mobility.

Bloody Palace clear time by DMC4SE Dev team:
Damn. My time was double that, lol.

Golnei

That, and maybe use L2/R2 for something, like toggling extra Pandora transformations and/or different Sparda combos. I still like the direction inputs for gun moves, but maybe having those by default invoke different lightning based properties would be better (like an actual charge shot with Luce and Ombre).

Discrete switches between weapon forms might go against their intent of having Trish be devoid of toggles; but they could definitely make her more interesting within that framework. As you mentioned, giving Luce & Ombra some more options is a fairly natural direction to go in - a proper, multiple-level charge shot with a lingering effect like Inazuma's lightning trails and replacements for the Pandora forms with much less similar properties would be a good start, at least; especially if they made use of 360 degree inputs as well. She really needs to be one of the more comprehensively reconceptualised characters if she's playable in 5...

Also Gilver. I don't really care if it's non-canon now or whatever, I want it.

Non-canon and concept art costumes should be a constant going forwards, seeing how well Nero's alternate costume turned out. Trish's unused jacket, Winter Dante and Lady with a shirt would accompany Gilver fairly well.

Vergil's fat pants make me sad.

With his pants, it's mainly the bright blue and garish snakeskin pattern that I find offensive. Desaturating it a little makes it much more palatable - the same goes for this version of Lady's DMC3 outfit.

Lowering the skill ceiling or streamlining various things somewhat wouldn't be a bad thing though, look at how much easier it is to feel like a badass with Vergil. It would be great if more people could feel that sense of satisfaction with the series instead of mostly seeing it in combo videos.

Vergil is fun to play with no doubt, but I'm pretty sure when everybody first played DMC3 they had a lot of fun just using the different preset combos and the style button to increase their style rank. Nobody was thinking about super over the top advance techniques or breaking the game or anything like that. People were just enjoying the combat system as is and the campaign itself.

Not everybody needs to hit that high skill ceiling in DMC. Shit I can't do flying guard or reverse inputs. That doesn't mean they should simplify it. The DMC team just needs to make sure that everything surrounding the combat system is just as good. If that means breaking away from the mission structure to go with a more open world/adventure approach or just having epic set pieces like Bayonetta 2 then so be it.

Dahbomb

It wouldn't surprise me since MvC and DMC4 run on MT Framework.

@Dahbombs Essay 3 pages back.
Yep I agree with you a lot on that.

Also, I have some unintended tutorials from when I was streaming side I had a few people asking about tech.
I think that if anyone is looking to get into Nero/Dante these might be helpful.
1)Excuse the quality, I just moved into a new house and I'm waiting for better Internet to be installed)
2) sorry about my voice. I have pretty bad hayfever.

Dante: Trickster/Royal Guard dashing:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=suKoBNkuTYw

Nero: Exceed-Act/Max-Act
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uA3iOkzLc8o
LOL so did you buy the unlocked modes DLC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA3iOkzLc8o&app=desktop

SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

Lowering the skill ceiling or streamlining various things somewhat wouldn't be a bad thing though, look at how much easier it is to feel like a badass with Vergil. It would be great if more people could feel that sense of satisfaction with the series instead of mostly seeing it in combo videos.

"Skill ceiling" is different from "skill threshold." Having a high ceiling and a low threshold is the ideal scenario for any character action game. Bayo 2 is probably one of the closest we'll ever get to a good balance of both, though I'm sure I'm overlooking an obvious one somewhere else.

Dahbomb

"Skill ceiling" is different from "skill threshold." Having a high ceiling and a low threshold is the ideal scenario for any character action game. Bayo 2 is probably one of the closest we'll ever get to a good balance of both, though I'm sure I'm overlooking an obvious one somewhere else.
I think you mean high ceiling but low curve. I don't think most people would know what you mean by threshold.

And yeah you need to have a low curve in games in general. Easy to learn, hard to master type stuff.

I think you mean high ceiling but low curve. I don't think most people would know what you mean by threshold.

And yeah you need to have a low curve in games in general. Easy to learn, hard to master type stuff.

That's a better way of putting it.

Is there another character action/stylish action game out there that has a better curve/ceiling ratio other than Bayo 2?

shtkn

while i was playing through this game during the weekend made me question... did they use nero's sword slash sounds for vergil in mvc3?

To anyone who is good with Nero, when you are playing normally, are you trying to Rev while doing air combos with enemy steps and buster grabs? Or do you just focus on the timing of that stuff and ignore revving/trying to max-act?

Doing Revved attacks mid air makes you fall faster. I tend not to Rev when going for max air time. But during normal play i Rev all the time. Eventually it becomes second nature and you Rev everything.

BadWolf

Guys I wasn't saying they should remove or gimp the advanced stuff, does Vergil feel gimped or lacking in depth?

Just make the game overall more accessible like they did with Vergil and Nero (Lady is worth mentioning too but she has her own style of play) so more people can enjoy stylish action. The more people that can get into it the better.

Dahbomb

I don''t blame him, honestly. It takes some endurance to get through that campaign again, let alone three times. It's useful for practicing if nothing else. It's a shame they didn't have the resources to make the campaign less frustrating to go through.
I am just kidding, I am probably going to do the same if I plan on playing DMC4SE for a long time.

Guys I wasn't saying they should remove or gimp the advanced stuff, does Vergil feel gimped or lacking in depth?
We know what you are saying, we are agreeing with you.

Is there another character action/stylish action game out there that has a better curve/ceiling ratio other than Bayo 2?
Honestly DMC4SE fits the bill, so does DmC definitive edition. Nero and Lady are really, really easy starting points for any player and you can start the game on Human mode which is really easy. And then at the skill ceiling you have DMC4 and it doesn't go higher than that in other action games. DmC Definitive edition is also pretty easy on Human mode but on Gods Must Die Hardcore Turbo mode it is a legitimately hard game and the game has mechanics to give it a high skill ceiling.

DMC3 Special Edition fits as well. Really though... the DMC games are pretty easy to get into if you start on easy mode. I think the only exception is DMC1 because it starts on Normal and that's a bit difficult for newcomers and if you die a lot you get put into Easy Automatic mode which is just an awful mode.

My mind says Ninja Gaiden Black on Normal, though I imagine people would object to that even though I feel the game is not that hard.

I never played NGB. NG and NGS were fun. They are hard at the beginning and very inconsistent in terms of boss difficulty. I didn't feel either was too difficult as well, so I'd be inclined to agree. I'm trying to push the perspective of a character action novice, though, and in that scenario any NG (save for maybe NG3 vanilla) is probably not a good pick.

I should have started with a Nero/Dante run. Anything after Vergil feels like a chore and not as fun. Seeing the cutscene again is keeping me going.

Playing this now that I'm done with Arkham Knight. Pretty nice that we that we finally have a DMC game on the PS4.

Going through Nero/Dante first (on Mission 7 now), though I've played Mission 1 with Lady and Vergil. Had zero idea what to do with them :lol , but I'll go back to them once I finish the original campaign.

I gotta say though, dodging is a fucking chore here. I've been really spoiled by Bayonetta 1&2 in that regard. Hopefully if DMC5 happens, they'll modernize the controls if only by having a dedicated dodge button.

Dahbomb

Do the boss fights get better? Viper is the only one I've enjoyed so far.
The two bosses after this one are good to great (another one that is debatable). But after that it's kinda of a nose dive because *SPOILER*
you are going to be fighting a few of them again using a different character.

Though I consider Berial a very good boss fight overall especially for a "big body" boss fight.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, I knew about the repitition which is part of why I asked.

I really want to like this game but it seems every other room I go from loving to to hating it.

The two bosses after this one are good to great (another one that is debatable). But after that it's kinda of a nose dive because *SPOILER*
you are going to be fighting a few of them again using a different character.

Though I consider Berial a very good boss fight overall especially for a "big body" boss fight.

Berial feels like a great cross between DMC1 Phantom and DMC3 Beowulf to me, yeah.

Berial and Credo are genuinely great DMC bosses. The rest... mostly not terrible (outside of fighting a window with Agnus behind it and the Savior fight) but not up there with the greats.

Dahbomb

Berial, Credo and the Dante fight are the best ones (if you don't cheese him). Agnus is pretty decent as well as Echidna. I also don't think the final boss fight is that bad mechanically speaking... it just isn't FINAL BOSS tier.

The Frog thing and the other Savior fights are mediocre to bad. The chamber fight doesn't really count, it's probably more of a combat puzzle than a boss fight (if it counts as a boss fight it's easily the worst in the game).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You can dress up the final boss as much as you want, but at the end of the day you're still just beating up an old man.

That's why I always say DMC5 needs to have a charismatic antagonist. It is critical. Having an appealing villain is as important, if not more important, than having an appealing protagonist.

Don't forget about GAF's True Style tournament, so far I've only got Vergil entries and no Lady or Trish entries. You have one week to submit entries for the Lady and Trish. If enough entries are NOT submitted for the Lady and Trish I'll consolidate the tournament into one category for all characters (so please submit something)...
top_neogaff.png

FULL DETAILS ABOUT TOURNAMENT
QUOTE TO REVEAL THE SUBMISSION LINK FOR VIDEOS, It's a google docs form

[Entry format]
  • 3 categories for each of the new characters: Vergil, Lady, Trish (can enter all categories, win only 1).
  • 30 seconds entry max
  • Son of Sparda Difficulty or above (No LDK).
  • No easy automatic mode.
  • No Super Costumes.
  • All levels of Bloody Palace can be used.
  • No Piecing together multiple segments(clean cut).
[Submitting Entries]
  • Lady and Trish entries due 7th of July 12:01 am, so a little more than one week.
  • Vergil Entries due 14th of July 12:01 am, a little over 2 weeks
  • Multiple entries can be submitted (if you plan this number them please), but you must clarify which entry is picked.
  • Entries will be youtube uploaded videos from any system, QUOTE TO REVEAL GOOGLE FORM SIGN UP
Tournament will be run by GAF user direct_quote.

MegaPanda

Don't forget about GAF's True Style tournament, so far I've only got Vergil entries and no Lady or Trish entries. You have one week to submit entries for the Lady and Trish. If enough entries are NOT submitted for the Lady and Trish I'll consolidate the tournament into one category for all characters (so please submit something)...
top_neogaff.png

FULL DETAILS ABOUT TOURNAMENT
QUOTE TO REVEAL THE SUBMISSION LINK FOR VIDEOS, It's a google docs form

[Entry format]
  • 3 categories for each of the new characters: Vergil, Lady, Trish (can enter all categories, win only 1).
  • 30 seconds entry max
  • Son of Sparda Difficulty or above (No LDK).
  • No easy automatic mode.
  • No Super Costumes.
  • All levels of Bloody Palace can be used.
  • No Piecing together multiple segments(clean cut).
[Submitting Entries]
  • Lady and Trish entries due 7th of July 12:01 am, so a little more than one week.
  • Vergil Entries due 14th of July 12:01 am, a little over 2 weeks
  • Multiple entries can be submitted (if you plan this number them please), but you must clarify which entry is picked.
  • Entries will be youtube uploaded videos from any system, QUOTE TO REVEAL GOOGLE FORM SIGN UP
Tournament will be run by GAF user direct_quote.

I'm definitely submitting a Lady entry this week! Maybe Vergil & Trish too if I find the time.

Frantic

I swear to god, the new mechanic of hitting Gladius to send them flying is the worst thing. I knock them down to the ground, try to combo them, only to send them flying into nothing where they do no damage and I have to run and chase them again.

god fucking dammit

Berial is pretty good, but he's certainly no Phantom or Cerberus.

I think he doesn't do nearly as much to punish attacking him carelessly, yeah. He's got plenty of strong points but he gets stunned for a LONG while and his telegraphs are a lot slower.
Berial, Credo and the Dante fight are the best ones (if you don't cheese him). Agnus is pretty decent as well as Echidna. I also don't think the final boss fight is that bad mechanically speaking... it just isn't FINAL BOSS tier.
I'll be honest. I haven't fought Dante much without cheesing him because he feels way too mechanically different from the way that DMC enemies are supposed to work.

I cheesed the fuck out of Cerberus back in the day, I think it's the only way I would have continued playing DMC3. I still find the frog a little more funner than Berial because you can cheese Berial pretty easily. Plus I like the boss theme for the frog better..

Seyavesh

i enjoy blob arkham more than any dmc4 boss
the gimmick he has with the enemy spawning is basically the precursor to LDK for me and i love that mode

and then vergil jumps in and you technically can control him?
yooooo

plus, those cutscenes man

also the stage beforehand has cool gameplay gimmicks and looks incredible

meanwhile in dmc4, the last thing you see before the final boss is...
a dice game.

Top Bottom