• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

I cheesed the fuck out of Cerberus back in the day, I think it's the only way I would have continued playing DMC3. I still find the frog a little more funner than Berial because you can cheese Berial pretty easily. Plus I like the boss theme for the frog better..

Cerberus is cheesable if you want to throw Style out the window, sure, due to his anchored position in the arena - there's no reason you can't just stay back and E&I him to death, as I'm sure plenty of players did on their first playthrough, since E&I hovering and probably a little bit of Trickster dashing (when he does his charge-forward attack) is all you really need to evade the few attacks he can hit you with at a distance.

But I'd say Berial is cheesable even if you're taking a melee-first approach, if only because he's honestly not that great at punishing you for getting up close and personal - he just doesn't have much in the way of genuinely fast attacks. You can pretty easily get in and get out and stay safe that way, whereas Cerberus and Phantom are consistently dangerous to get close to (and the point is to get the player over that hump and teach them how to engage offensively while responding to enemy telegraphs).

Shauni

So, I can't remember, can you stop at certain points in 4's Bloody Palace, or do you have to do all 101 in one sitting? I'm debating between doing that or DMD right now.

Sephzilla

So, I can't remember, can you stop at certain points in 4's Bloody Palace, or do you have to do all 101 in one sitting? I'm debating between doing that or DMD right now.

one sitting.

however after you clear out the level and you get the quick "next level available" cutscene the clock stops running, so you can stay there. Couple that with PS4 suspending and you can definitely take breaks.

Shauni

one sitting.

however after you clear out the level and you get the quick "next level available" cutscene the clock stops running, so you can stay there. Couple that with PS4 suspending and you can definitely take breaks.

I'm on Xbox, but yeah, that is true. The thought didn't even occur to me. I'll probably tackle that next then. Bit burnt out of the campaign.

Donguri beating up on an old man with all characters except for Trish. I am perfectly content with having this guy be the master of anything DMC4.

DansGame.png
DansGame.png
DansGame.png
DansGame.png
DansGame.png
DansGame.png

BadWolf

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
There's that Royal Guard glitch with the second Dante fight that was shown in a couple gifs (at least that's what people were calling it). Though I feel like that's a glitch that I'd want left in for hilarity factor.

Oh right, of course, lol. That happened to me and I already forgot.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Can someone with the PC version (where it runs smoothly) test out canceling Shuffle startup into roll/jump? I'm able to do it on the PC version, but probably because my computer can't handle the game and the framerate is poor.

Frantic

Can someone with the PC version (where it runs smoothly) test out canceling Shuffle startup into roll/jump? I'm able to do it on the PC version, but probably because my computer can't handle the game and the framerate is poor.
Only works with EX charged on Turbo at 60 fps. Works for both uncharged and charged with turbo off at 60 fps. It also works for both with turbo on at 120 fps.

There's no doubt at this point that First 4 Figures is staffed by eldritch beings from beyond the veil; with only the faintest conception of the flesh prisons which mortal creatures reside within.

The effort required for a palette swap and full costume are incomparable - considering Trish's extra costume was recycled from the original game and Vergil/Dante's share 90% of their model, it doesn't seem like another unique outfit was possible on their schedule. And a DMC2 palette swap just wouldn't have been different enough to bother with - though it admittedly could have worked for Nero.

Lmao, the face is way off though. His cheekbones need to be thinner.

dante_____dmc3_____by_the_bone_snatcher.jpg

Ventara

Wow! I just won this game, courtesy of GuardianE! Big, big, BIG thank you to him. I honestly did not think I'd win, so this is a very pleasant surprise. Gonna download it near the end of my internet data month. Thanks again, GuardianE! You're the man!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dice minigame of Mission 19 continues to be awful.

Nero: Grab
Vergil: Melee
Lady: Gun? IDFK, Lady's Dice Minigame is fucking impossible to land on the actual number that you're trying to trick to.

Alright, that's two entries for the style tournament done now. All that's left is to come up with something for Trish.

Wow! I just won this game, courtesy of GuardianE! Big, big, BIG thank you to him. I honestly did not think I'd win, so this is a very pleasant surprise. Gonna download it near the end of my internet data month. Thanks again, GuardianE! You're the man!
Congrats dude. Now you can get in on this crazy party!

Raonak

Banned
The problem with DMC's level design is that it doesn't know what it wants to be.

The problem we have now is that it's essentially still using Resident Evil style puzzle mechanics, which is completely nonsensical for this kind of game. Combine with that with bad puzzle mechanics or puzzles stretching across multiple missions.

Either make it more like Bloodborne (which had almost no puzzles, but had fantastic level design, and exists in one interconnected world) Or make it like Monster Hunter (where missions are standalone, but you could also have story arcs that are spread across multiple missions)

Clawww

love the tablehopper on Vergil's DT. it's slowly becoming a reflex to DT and start sidestepping out of nasty situations.

correct, his mvc3 model is much slimmer and his face is uh, better
like the mvc3 model is just way better tbh

his dmc4 model's face is really weird and he has that same beefy torso body deal that dante has going on which really drives me nuts whenever i see him

also bring back best vergil
86MrRLp.jpg

i was dying for this alt

itsuno failed me

love the tablehopper on Vergil's DT. it's slowly becoming a reflex to DT and start sidestepping out of nasty situations.

i was dying for this alt

itsuno failed me
Yup... I thought it would have been a shoe in because they basically just need to reconstruct Vergils arms without the coat (given how much small of a budget they had)....

Clawww

The problem with DMC's level design is that it doesn't know what it wants to be.

The problem we have now is that it's essentially still using Resident Evil style puzzle mechanics, which is completely nonsensical for this kind of game. Combine with that with bad puzzle mechanics or puzzles stretching across multiple missions.

Either make it more like Bloodborne (which had almost no puzzles, but had fantastic level design, and exists in one interconnected world) Or make it like Monster Hunter (where missions are standalone, but you could also have story arcs that are spread across multiple missions)

the main thing I want is for them to be able to add new weapons, enemies, and bosses. I don't care how they do it as long as I have some new core content to mess around with once in a while.

finished SoS with lady/trish. That leaves one guy who I haven't used yet. I think I'll do SoS with Vergil next.

Switching between characters is kinda rough. Like I was playing Lady for a while, then went back to Nero and it was like day 1 DMC4 again lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Hope you enjoy it! And feel free to ask questions in here or check out the OP if you have any issues at all.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
one sitting.

Why didn't I think of this?
ohhh.png

Raonak

Banned
It doesn't negatively impact anything and it gives you more options in the game for combo continuity.

Like it's a PURE NET POSITIVE for the game.

I don't really agree on this. It fundamentally changes a lot. Before, you always knew if you switched weapons, you'd be at the start of the combo. That would not be the case anymore if combo progression went across weapons.

Dugna

Try the shotgun. But I'm struggling in Mission 20.

yeah it does tons of damage also, but seriously this is just insane. I mean yeah you have to charge it but bosses rarely charge at you if stun them. I'm killing bosses before they even phase to their last forms now.

Seyavesh

I don't really agree on this. It fundamentally changes a lot. Before, you always knew if you switched weapons, you'd be at the start of the combo. That would not be the case anymore if combo progression went across weapons.

yeah same
the weapon switch cancel combo shenanigan wouldn't exist anymore and that's the core of the DMC ground combo series to me

imo if you let the player choose by say, holding down the trigger when switching to go into an equal delay combo (combo b->combo b as this would allow for different input # strings between wepaons and whatnot- probably switch with equiv. button presses at that point) i'd be cool with it but otherwise i'd have a problem with it

Lady: Gun? IDFK, Lady's Dice Minigame is fucking impossible to land on the actual number that you're trying to trick to.
first hit of neutral melee will do the trick. has a bit of startup so swing while the previous number's about to roll

luka

Loves Robotech S1
mission 1 (nero) is the only one i haven't S-ranked on ldk yet. A is the highest i can get because i have no idea how i'm supposed to style on dante. it's extra frustrating because i have to skip through 2 sets of cutscenes each attempt.

edit: nm i did it. i am legenday gotten :)

also, that lady/trish ending was cringe.
Dante apparently isn't good with the ladies? lies. you could also read it as trish's frustration that he didn't make a move or something. which is just plain weird, considering the "basically a clone of his mom" angle.

its just one melee attack with Lady. I know her melee is slow but you can still get the top number.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

By the way, you know that die spins in a set pattern, right? Once you see the number you want, you can just count 6 rotations.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
By the way, you know that die spins in a set pattern, right? Once you see the number you want, you can just count 6 rotations.

Yeah, I know. The problem is hitting that number with Lady.

Dugna

So for some reason my PS4 can't connect to PSN, so I just had my game suspend in the middle of a boss fight....*sigh* guess I needed sleep or something.....

Top Bottom