• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Dahbomb

yeah same
the weapon switch cancel combo shenanigan wouldn't exist anymore and that's the core of the DMC ground combo series to me

imo if you let the player choose by say, holding down the trigger when switching to go into an equal delay combo (combo b->combo b as this would allow for different input # strings between wepaons and whatnot- probably switch with equiv. button presses at that point) i'd be cool with it but otherwise i'd have a problem with it
You can still do that shit in DmC....

Like I said it doesn't subtract anything from the game, only adds to it.

I don't really agree on this. It fundamentally changes a lot. Before, you always knew if you switched weapons, you'd be at the start of the combo. That would not be the case anymore if combo progression went across weapons.
It doesn't fundamentally change anything, it just gives you an extra option. If you switch without pausing you will have the same old DMC style weapon swap like it has always been.

Seyavesh

You can still do that shit in DmC...

does the combo end after a certain point regardless of what you do b/c it holds combos over? the weapon switch cancel stuff im talking about is how you can continuously cycle between the weapons forever because the chains reset regardless of where you are within the combo

like doing combo b million stabs-> switch to cerberus combo a->switch to rebellion combo a->switch to cerberus combo b crazy combo or switch to rebellion or cerberus swordmaster neutral move to continue combo

if you can still do that then im ok with it

Dahbomb

You can do all of that in DmC.

The combo transfer ONLY takes place if you deliberately make a pause and then go into the next weapon. If you are just attacking non stop while weapon swapping works exactly like the old games.

So if you do Triangle, Triangle (Rebellion) into weapon switch to Osiris Triangle, Triangle you will get Combo A Rebellion starting into Osiris Combo A (the Osiris combo will start at the beginning) like it is in DMC.

If however you do Triangle, Triangle, LONG PAUSE, then switch to Osiris you will instead get the ending of Osiris Combo B.

Basically this allows you to do cool stuff like in the air Rebellion two hit combo, pause, go immediately into that Buy In move with Aquila. Normally the Aquila first two aerial hits are kinda slow and clunky compared to Rebellion but doing that Buy In from Rebellion makes it pretty nice.

LOL so did you buy the unlocked modes DLC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA3iOkzLc8o&app=desktop

SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!
Yep and by all means I deserve the shaming. I'm gonna honest though, I can't stand DMC4 story. So I bought the DLC and I highly recommend everyone else does too(coming from me that's a lot). Basically for £1/$1 you can buy the all missions DLC. Go through the game on Heaven and Hell, one shot everything and then you get all of Dantes weapons instantly without having to trudge trough the campaign. Then you can go through Bloody Palace right away and also make quick(er) work of DMD or any other difficulty.

Looking forward to when you stream too, dude :D
Streaming more Nero practice @

twitch.tv/darkslayer124
Getting good! (didn't comment since I was watching many other streams)

love the tablehopper on Vergil's DT. it's slowly becoming a reflex to DT and start sidestepping out of nasty situations.

i was dying for this alt

itsuno failed me
Future DLC?
Just played some Trish missions, damn she's freakin crazy good and fast!
Really good crowd control too!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
lol, i've been playing nothing but nero/dante and lady/trish on dt,sos, and ldk so far, s-ranking all of them. i haven't even touched vergil or the bloody palace yet. i don't find the campaign to be a slog at all, especially with turbo mode and instant speed. :p

it obviously doesn't have the most compelling level design in the world, but i'd never pay money so i don't have to play it. it's still pretty enjoyable.

Does the bad audio mixing in cutscenes count as a glitch? Can barely hear what Dante/Nero say sometimes.
I feel like something happened with the mixing in the SE. I thought the same thing when I started playing.
Dice minigame of Mission 19 continues to be awful.

Nero: Grab
Vergil: Melee
Lady: Gun? IDFK, Lady's Dice Minigame is fucking impossible to land on the actual number that you're trying to trick to.

You literally just use her melee attack. Just time it earlier. Projectiles and wire will give you random numbers.

Espada

Okay, my copy managed to arrive the day before the code was going to expire so I managed to get all of it. Played through the campaign with Lady and Trish. Lady's damage output is insane, but she's kind of awkward. Her pistols are damn near useless, and they plant you in one spot (which is not a good thing against most enemies). Shotgun is really nice, though. Trish was amazing, she has a setup for almost every occasion and she looks ferocious in motion. Only downside being she doesn't do that much damage.

I tried LDK with Lady, got to mission 3 and got destroyed by what seems to be a dozen Frosts. First time I got stun-locked while they all did their projectile ice thing at slightly delayed intervals, second time I got wrecked when I attempted to fire the shotgun and go caught by an ice-wave, hit with ice projectiles, slashed, and then that ice AOE they have. Can I just run away from them? Pistols don't do damage, shotgun requires me to stop (which got me mauled before), and Kalina Ann requires more time than they give me. Tips?

Dahbomb

Bumblebee I already streamed some Lady. I beat her campaign but she still hasn't clicked with me, I am truly awful with her. Trish was really easy for me, everything just felt on point.

Then I played Vergil and that was a wrap.

I won't be streaming again because I got a lot of other stuff to do and other games to play. Still have to finish Arkham Knight and my season character in Diablo 3.

Just finished Vergil Devil Hunter Mode.
Man, i fall in love with his style. Itsuno is truly great director in Capcom right now. Make me wish Dragon's Dogma Remastered since i haven't played it yet and GAF praised its combat to be the best in open world RPG :(

Combat in this game is still great, but I don't remember hating the story and the backtracking nearly as much back in 2007.

The main campaign is buttcheeks.

BadWolf

Her pistols are damn near useless, and they plant you in one spot (which is not a good thing against most enemies).

Charge shots are key, they don't plant you in one spot and can be fired both on the ground and in the air.

She charges level 1 and 2 so fast that she can pretty much rapid fire them.

Charge shot 3 is like Nero's, so just awesome in other words.

Finally finished DMC4, god that final boss and last few missions in general was terrible.

The ending was pretty cool though, especially when I found out you can fight enemies during the credits like in 3.....until I realized that if an enemy attacks Kyrie it cuts to black immediately. Which is really dumb, but I can say that about a lot of this game compared to 3.

3's definitely still the superior game in my opinion. Not entirely sure if I'd even put this above DMC 1, but I guess I should fool around with the other 3 characters and bloody palace before I say. But damn that campaign for the most part was really awful.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The ending was pretty cool though, especially when I found out you can fight enemies during the credits like in 3.....until I realized that if an enemy attacks Kyrie it cuts to black immediately. Which is really dumb, but I can say that about a lot of this game compared to 3.

play it again and don't let kyrie get hit for the extra ending

Damn Vergil feels so good to play. Even at my scrub tier I can still pull really cool looking simple shit.

play it again and don't let kyrie get hit for the extra ending

No thanks. I'm awful at these kind of protect missions, especially because I'm not even good at protecting myself. Not gonna waste my time having to keep fighting that final boss just for a chance at it.

Seyavesh

play it again and don't let kyrie get hit for the true ending

XZ6wgsV.gif

3's definitely still the superior game in my opinion. Not entirely sure if I'd even put this above DMC 1, but I guess I should fool around with the other 3 characters and bloody palace before I say. But damn that campaign for the most part was really awful.
A lot aside from the core mechanics is really bad. Orbs Found requirement sucks, they didn't have time to give Dante levels, even a good portion of Nero's levels just totally suck. Out of 1/3/4, 4 has the most mediocre bosses
despite how good Creedo is
. If you care about Atmosphere, Story, etc- 1 and 3 can beat it out by far.

The combat in 4, though, is actually the best thing ever. The best in any action game, just straight up.
(DahBomb's post from earlier would make Dante way easier for people to play also.)
No thanks. I'm awful at these kind of protect missions, especially because I'm not even good at protecting myself. Not gonna waste my time having to keep fighting that final boss just for a chance at it.
Watch it tho

Question - How does the counter mechanic work for Vergil against stuff like the Angelos' magic cannon and Sanctus' final charge attack? I've only gotten the latter to work once with a Devil Triggered Stinger like in that video.

EDIT: Also, maybe it's because I've played it before 7 years ago and I recognized alot of it, but I honestly didn't have much problems going through the campaign. Only the initial part in the beginning where I just couldn't get that one blue orb fragment from the mine because of the funky lock on platforming. I know the trick to the dice so I blew right through them. Some of the secret missions are frustrating but they're optional.

Seyavesh

i've seen upper slash work in both of those cases, i think

what i want to know is 'what the heck counters the magic cannon with trish and lady...?'

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Stand next to Kyrie and spam non locked on charge shot level 1.

KingBroly

Banned
In all my years of playing DMC4, I didn't realize the B-button was the Style button. I thought it was just an extra Sword button.

Great Shame

nOoblet16

In all my years of playing DMC4, I didn't realize the B-button was the Style button. I thought it was just an extra Sword button.

Great Shame
This means you didn't know about styles as you'd have noticed a different action when changing style....you bear even more shame now.

having just beat DMD in DMC1 about a month ago, there's no way that's better, in terms of gameplay.

"Gameplay" covers a lot. 1 isn't as freeform a game as 3 or 4, and the best battles in DMC3 are a little better than the best ones in DMC1 - but, barring the eight minutes you spend underwater, 1 has consistently solid levels without lame gimmicks or poorly-implemented backtracking (4 doesn't), an enemy lineup where pretty much every enemy is interesting to fight (3 doesn't) that also has lots of variety so you aren't basically fighting the same things in every level (4 doesn't). On top of that the bosses are all great (3's are probably ultimately better, but no boss in 4 aside from Credo is as good as Phantom, Nero Angelo, Nightmare, or Mundus) and the game has a great level of difficulty (4 doesn't).

DMC3 and 4 have better "gameplay" than 1 in the sense that if you just spent the game fighting enemies / bosses (and for the sake of argument let's pretend the bad ones that each game has aren't counted, otherwise 3 would be the worst there hands-down) - but there's more to a game than just making your character fun to control in a vacuum. 1 is not as strong as 3 or 4 in terms of your player characters' abilities, but everything else in 1 is much, much stronger than any of the other games in the series. I like all three games, though.

Mr. X

BadWolf

Has anyone messed with Trish's Spark move?

I've read about it and tried it out myself and it seems to have parry/deflect frames on it. It's easy to test by jumping into a shielded Blitz, Trish bounces off of him unhurt. And it counts as a physical hit as well so if you keep jumping into him the shield will eventually go down. Was also able to bounce off of his various dashing attacks.

Someone also mentioned that they did Spark while Blitz was shooting his lighting attack and it got deflected back at him.

Hey guys, so Gregaman is asking us for any bugs found:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/devil_m...1/30530313/dmc4se-balance-changes-or-glitches

Other than the Shuffle and the Streak, there's the change to the Lucifer glitch, right? Anything else?

The Saviour glitched on me in M18.

During the second phase Trish knocked him down and jumped to him using the blue jumping thing.

When she got to the platform with the blue jewel, Trish fell through the floor. The Saviour was stuck in that knocked down pose indefinitely. All I could do was shoot him with guns from the far away platforms, eventually I just reset since it was taking forever.

Has anyone messed with Trish's Spark move?

I've read about it and tried it out myself and it seems to have parry/deflect frames on it. It's easy to test by jumping into a shielded Blitz, Trish bounces off of him unhurt. And it counts as a physical hit as well so if you keep jumping into him the shield will eventually go down. Was also able to bounce off of his various dashing attacks.

Someone also mentioned that they did Spark while Blitz was shooting his lighting attack and it got deflected back at him.

During the second phase Trish knocked him down and jumped to him using the blue jumping thing.

When she got to the platform with the blue jewel, Trish fell through the floor. The Saviour was stuck in that knocked down pose indefinitely. All I could do was shoot him with guns from the far away platforms, eventually I just reset since it was taking forever.

Trish's Spark can parry the Savoir. I tried to take advantage of the jumps i-frames and got a parry instead.

On another note i managed to wreck DMD Credo. Would of been no damage if not for a hit at the start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMf3JnvbuU4&feature=youtu.be

DMD is proving to be ridiculously easy to SSS Rank.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
During the mission when the castle is timed to blow up, I made a phantom lose the cloak when they were out of bounds and instead of dying and continuing, it lived and game just kept counting down. Had to restart.

You guys didn't happen to record it, did you? The PS4 auto records.

DedValve

Banned
I didn't unlock the virgil ending for some reason. Is it because of the difficulty? (I just demon hunter).

Also I could have sworn there was a difficulty above demon hunter (not the new legendary dark knight)...

Also holy hell I forgot how fucking hard it was to get back into the groove of doing red rose exceed combos.

The last boss is so horribly unprepared for Virgil I nearly laughed my ass off. I wasn't even being stylish and I was still getting good meter on my style combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLniSeHWvo8

As for Sanctus, you can also just dodge the 4 charge attacks and then attack him with melee during recovery after the 4th attack to stun him.

Okay I guess for the Angelos, anything works. That timing though...

I didn't unlock the virgil ending for some reason. Is it because of the difficulty? (I just demon hunter).

The cutscene? I got it from finishing Demon Hunter as well.

Also I could have sworn there was a difficulty above demon hunter (not the new legendary dark knight)...

Son of Sparda, you get it from beating Demon Hunter.

The last boss is so horribly unprepared for Virgil I nearly laughed my ass off. I wasn't even being stylish and I was still getting good meter on my style combo.

I was doing fine until I couldn't get the timing for the counter to his charge =(

Dugna

Ok how the fuck do you counter the last bosses charge to finish him off with Lady? I've tried wire attack just straight up melee attack and even charged rocket nothing fucking works and I'm getting annoyed.

Dahbomb

Ok how the fuck do you counter the last bosses charge to finish him off with Lady? I've tried wire attack just straight up melee attack and even charged rocket nothing fucking works and I'm getting annoyed.
You can do her Stinger move, it has a lot of active frames and can easily counter the move.

BadWolf

1. Use her lock-on+forward+triangle/Y move. The spinning attack lasts a while and she has a much bigger window to counter than Nero with his buster.

or

2. Don't bother with countering and dodge the four dash attacks, and just hit him with melee attacks to stun him while he is recovering after the fourth dash attack.

Top Bottom