• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Baalzebup

The LDK is kinda nutty. There have been a few fights where Vergils Judgement Cut End right at the start has been pretty much the only thing that helps to thin the herd. I could see Lady and Trish managing those as well, cuz they have mad crowd control, but I'd hate to try some of those with Nero or Dante.

Also, lol at the style points score being so high that I've scored total rank S twice now even with a gold orb used. Uncle Dante and Credo both whipped me right before I could get them down. I really need to step up my game with the bosses with Vergil.

Wag

I won a free game! Weeeeeee!!!!! Thanks!!!! Never won anything before, so happy!!!!! 😃 😃 😃 😃

Helscream

Banned
So I beat the Legendary Dark Knight mode first time last night. Did with Lady/Trish and reading other comments about them on the thread its clear alot of their moves are tailored to take on hordes of enemies. Was pretty freaking awsome though especially with Trish, her combos are nuts.

Going to do playthrough with them on Dante Must Die. See how it turns out. (Credo and Lady fight I dread)

Man easy is really annoying to S rank. It's really hard to get a lot of style points so you have to make sure you beat the stage really fast and get all the orbs and on some stages you pretty much have to get no damage.

Man easy is really annoying to S rank. It's really hard to get a lot of style points so you have to make sure you beat the stage really fast and get all the orbs and on some stages you pretty much have to get no damage.
Yeah. I've gotten to the point that I can get no damage during chapter 2 on Human and Devil Hunter except for the Berial fight, because eventually I make a wrong read on his moves and eat shit as a result.

Just finished my DMD S-Rank run! I think mission 1 is the only one i didn't SSS. The run also made me realize how bad i am at styling with Dante .

nemisis0

Finally got my copy from play asia can now finally jump back into dmc4 it's been over 7 years already damn how time flies.

Just messing around at the start of SoS Mission 12 with Trish has gotten me a good amount of combo footage and learning a bit more about how to use her moves beyond round trip into spinning bird kick.

Durden77

DMC 1 and 3 are some of my favorite games ever, but for some reason I never got around to playing 4. I remember playing the demo and not thinking much about it after.

Anyway, from the sound of things it seems to have aged better than I expected. Is this really a game that's as competent as 1 and 3? If so I might as well jump on board at this point.

Son Of D

DMC 1 and 3 are some of my favorite games ever, but for some reason I never got around to playing 4. I remember playing the demo and not thinking much about it after.

Anyway, from the sound of things it seems to have aged better than I expected. Is this really a game that's as competent as 1 and 3? If so I might as well jump on board at this point.

As an overall package it's the weakest of the three. The bosses aren't as good as DMC1 and 3 (although Credo is a fantastic boss). The campaign is easily the worst of those three. The backtracking and puzzles/gimmicks get in the way.

However, in terms of combat it's incredible. If you enjoy the combat of DMC games and want to go deep with it, DMC4 is definitely worthwhile.

Its superior to both in its combat, characters and mechanics, but arguably everything else besides graphics is worse.

I put 1 above 4 in art just because its gothic atmosphere is way cooler than any of the environments in 4. So far, I have it as 3>1=4, since I haven't fooled enough around with the new characters in 4:SE to feel strongly one way or another.

Tuffty

Playing Mission 4 as Vergil and thank god I eventually found out that summoned swords can make the gyro blade spin faster which allows you to hit it and travel further. I was just hitting it baby steps for a time. I couldn't believe that they made one of the most tedious parts in the game even worse. Though I can't quite figure out at this point what Lady has to do to get the same effect.

Golnei

Uneven would be the best way to describe it - as an overall game, it doesn't quite live up to 1 and 3 by virtue of its mediocre to abysmal campaign, absurd amounts of padding and fairly average bosses; but the core mechanics are the strongest in the series, and the reason why so many people are willing to suffer through its weak points again 7 years later. It's definitely well worth playing if you enjoyed 1 and 3 at all; especially with the addition of Lady and Vergil.

Baalzebup

Playing Mission 4 as Vergil and thank god I eventually found out that summoned swords can make the gyro blade spin faster which allows you to hit it and travel further. I was just hitting it baby steps for a time. I couldn't believe that they made one of the most tedious parts in the game even worse. Though I can't quite figure out at this point what Lady has to do to get the same effect.

Que? Shoot 'em with Lady, same as Vergil.

Durden77

As an overall package it's the weakest of the three. The bosses aren't as good as DMC1 and 3 (although Credo is a fantastic boss). The campaign is easily the worst of those three. The backtracking and puzzles/gimmicks get in the way.

However, in terms of combat it's incredible. If you enjoy the combat of DMC games and want to go deep with it, DMC4 is definitely worthwhile.

Its superior to both in its combat, characters and mechanics, but arguably everything else besides graphics is worse.

I put 1 above 4 in art just because its gothic atmosphere is way cooler than any of the environments in 4. So far, I have it as 3>1=4, since I haven't fooled enough around with the new characters in 4:SE to feel strongly one way or another.

Uneven would be the best way to describe it - as an overall game, it doesn't quite live up to 1 and 3 by virtue of its mediocre to abysmal campaign, absurd amounts of padding and fairly average bosses; but the core mechanics are the strongest in the series, and the reason why so many people are willing to suffer through its weak points again 7 years later. It's definitely well worth playing if you enjoyed 1 and 3 at all; especially with the addition of Lady and Vergil.

Good stuff, thanks. I've still got a solid backlog of games to play, so maybe I'll wait a little while longer to pick this up. But I definitely will.

Skrams

Got my Pizza Box Edition today and it feels fineeeee. I'm also freaking out more than I should at there being 4 different slip covers. Regular, Dante/Nero, Vergil, and Lady/Trish. It's super good.

There are two things i'm worried about this week- One is my exam results, and the other is the sales figures for DMC4SE.

The former turned out great, now I'm worried about the latter because there has been no announcements from Capcom...

Shauni

I found Dark Knight find of fun at first, but it became really tiring after awhile. It was just exhausting after about mission 10 or so. It's a neat little novelty mode, but about it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
There are two things i'm worried about this week- One is my exam results, and the other is the sales figures for DMC4SE.

The former turned out great, now I'm worried about the latter because there has been no announcements from Capcom...

It's only been a little over a week. I expect they'll have more sales data in the beginning of July. It took them almost a month before they said anything about how well REmake HD was selling.

We have Japan's numbers for its first week:
04./00. [PS4] Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.06.18} (¥4.849) - 35.872 / NEW
And SteamSpy, while not perfect, shows 35,585 copies with an over/under of 4,477.

It's only been a little over a week. I expect they'll have more sales data in the beginning of July. It took them almost a month before they said anything about how well REmake HD was selling.

Then I'm going crazy because I thought the "Fast selling digital" announcement for REmake was only a week after ^^;

But I thought Japanese sales numbers come out per week and not per month like US?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Then I'm going crazy because I thought the "Fast selling digital" announcement for REmake was only a week after ^^;

Nah, it launched in January 20th and broke sales records a few weeks later in mid February. Then it reached a million sales by March, I think.

In either case, there's no way DMC4SE will come close to the sales of REmake HD for a number of reasons. Capcom knows this, I'm sure.

ShinMaruku

I don't know how I did it but I landed a S rank regardless of my super character penalty. Mainly by being swag as fuck with Vergil and Nero. XD

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Mechanically it's very strong but the actual game is a slog. I'm having trouble even bringing myself to finish Nero's story and thinking about doing this again four more times is making me a sad panda.

I want to stick with it because I love 1, 3, and DmC but this game is rough. If you haven't played DmC yet, I highly recommend the DE if you only care about a single player experience. If you're purely looking for good combat mechanics, pick this up.

Is that Unbeatable were you can't get hit?
Can't get hit, or let a Fault grab you. Chimeras are such bull shit.

That mission got me the closest I have gotten to ever breaking one of my controls. Threw the damn thing in rage and the L1 button popped off (it snapped back on thankfully, but christ).

Unfortunately I do not have Super Dante and probably won't for a while (still halfway through SoS with Vergil and Lady/Trish). I'm guessing it's for constant charge shots with Pandora in DT while airborne?

Baalzebup

Unfortunately I do not have Super Dante and probably won't for a while (still halfway through SoS with Vergil and Lady/Trish). I'm guessing it's for constant charge shots with Pandora in DT while airborne?

Honestly, Charge 3 shotgun wrecks the chimera pretty fast if you shoot just outside of their melee range. I had to do around 10-15 tries to nail it, but it can be done. I personally found the 5 royal blocks in a row secret mission to be harder.

Honestly, Charge 3 shotgun wrecks the chimera pretty fast if you shoot just outside of their melee range. I had to do around 10-15 tries to nail it, but it can be done. I personally found the 5 royal blocks in a row secret mission to be harder.
I actually got the Royal Guard mission on the third try, surprisingly. If it was any enemy other than the Mephistos I would've given up on that mission long ago. The attacks have a long enough wind up for me to get a good read on when to press the button.

Though it still shows how little I use Royal Guard anyway, because of it requiring that specific style and my first instinct when I see an attack is to either deflect with an attack or jump out of the way.

Now if they were to say give Royal Guard a dedicated button for Dante in DMC5 that I can access regardless of equipped styles, THEN I'd probably make more use of it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Lucked out with Holy Water spamming on Sanctus as Lady. Fuck it, I kept getting him down to 10% normally, and then getting wrecked by that stupid charge move. No shame after spending 2+ hours on that part and not getting how to damage him through that quick enough to stop it.

Baalzebup

Lucked out with Holy Water spamming on Sanctus as Lady. Fuck it, I kept getting him down to 10% normally, and then getting wrecked by that stupid charge move. No shame after spending 2+ hours on that part and not getting how to damage him through that quick enough to stop it.

Lady can easily interrupt the charge with the lock+forward+melee spinning move. You knock the sucker right out of it. You'll just have to time it right because the startup isn't as fast as the swings of the rest of the crew, but you should get the timing down pretty fast.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

lol, do you have something against doing Lady's melee? It was the same issue with the dice game. All you have to do is either melee him during his charge stinger, or melee him after dodging stinger the charge 4 times.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
lol, do you have something against doing Lady's melee? It was the same issue with the dice game. All you have to do is either melee him during his charge stinger, or melee him after dodging stinger the charge 4 times.

Her entire gameplay gimmick is to try to keep away/crowd control with the guns. I don't see why they'd make her melee against these sorts of situations.

whoever came up with those angel enemies in DMC3 and thought that was fun
Angels were ok probably because they were the blueprint for the Angelos Knights in DMC4 (much better b/c you can combo them). Those starfish enemies and the spinning metal blade guys are dumb as fuck though... Can't even do anything stylish to them...

Mephistos and Fausts are Sin Scissors/Scythes from DMC1. Much like how Assaults are Blades and Frosts are...well, Frosts.

Though the DMC4 enemies aren't on the same level as those in the first game, at least one designer had the right idea in mind when making these ones. At this point, I've gotten used to the fly out of range/phase through geometry type enemies because fuck it, it's tradition.

Re: Lady + Sanctus 2 counter. This was explained to me a few days ago in this thread.

Wait for him to pull back his sword just before he lunges at you. When you see that, hit forward + triangle. This gives you time to start up and hit him. It's easy. No need to resort to items, obviously that's not how the game wants you to play it.

Started Vergil SoS tonight and got my ass kicked. Just couldn't put his moves together into combos, though I was starting to get the hang of it. Unfortunately, as I was starting to get the hang of it, campaign fatigue set in around Mission 4. I'll probably shelf this for a while before getting back to Bloody Palace.

aren't the guys in dmc4 who do this literally the same enemies from dmc1

am i crazy it's been like over a decade since i played dmc1

well, they have scissors and a cool laugh in DMC1. There's also the various scythe guys, regular ones and the one that traps you. A lot of the enemies in DMC4 are from 1. Lizards, frosts, flying dudes...and the puppets are reminiscent of marionettes, though they don't have all the variations like the marionettes have.

DMC's strong point has never been enemies though. They just don't feel like they're designed around the combat that well, unlike, say, ninja gaiden and to a lesser extent, bayonetta.

Dahbomb

aren't the guys in dmc4 who do this literally the same enemies from dmc1

am i crazy it's been like over a decade since i played dmc1
They are basically the same archetype.

Blades/Frosts are basically Blades/Frosts from DMC1.

Mephistos/Fausts are Sin/Death Scythe/Scissors from DMC1.

Of course they are a bit mechanically different. Against Mephistos/Fausts its very easy to de-cloak them and then combo them like a regular enemy which you couldn't do against the analogue enemies in DMC1. So you basically just killed those enemies with Helm Breakers, Shotguns to the face rather than trying to do combos on them.

This is why DMC3 failed in some of the enemy designs. They tried to bring these types of enemies in DMC3 where they were difficult to combo or bring into a state which was comboable. DMC4 on the other hand has every single enemy which you could put into a state where you can freely combo and that's good design (only legitimately bad enemy designs are the Chimera because they employ combo breaker mechanics which are just plain unfun).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
They are basically the same archetype.

Blades/Frosts are basically Blades/Frosts from DMC1.

Mephistos/Fausts are Sin/Death Scythe/Scissors from DMC1.

Of course they are a bit mechanically different. Against Mephistos/Fausts its very easy to de-cloak them and then combo them like a regular enemy which you couldn't do against the analogue enemies in DMC1. So you basically just killed those enemies with Helm Breakers, Shotguns to the face rather than trying to do combos on them.

This is why DMC3 failed in some of the enemy designs. They tried to bring these types of enemies in DMC3 where they were difficult to combo or bring into a state which was comboable. DMC4 on the other hand has every single enemy which you could put into a state where you can freely combo and that's good design (only legitimately bad enemy designs are the Chimera because they employ combo breaker mechanics which are just plain unfun).

I'm having a lot of difficulty against the Mephistos and Fausts. Not just for styling, just general fighting. Any tips?

Top Bottom