• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Dahbomb

I'm having a lot of difficulty against the Mephistos and Fausts. Not just for styling, just general fighting. Any tips?
What character?

You disengage their cloak by either using powerful gun shots (Charged shots in Nero's case) or other long ranged options. With Nero doing a few Snatches/Busters in a row would disengage the cloaks and then you go to town on the crabby bodies. Buster close body on the cloak does a ton of "damage" to the cloak. Safest and easiest option is in fact charge shot. I think Charge 3 shot can one shot the cloaks.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Has anyone else finished all the Secret Missions?

My trophy didn't unlock, so I assumed the trophy was misnamed and meant to complete all blue orbs. But now I've found all the blue orb fragments and still no trophy.

I'm having a lot of difficulty against the Mephistos and Fausts. Not just for styling, just general fighting. Any tips?

Nero: Charge Shot Lvl 3, Buster, Snatch
Dante: Charge Shots or Pandora
Vergil: Summon Swords, Blistering Swords
Trish: Pistols and DT Pistols
Lady: Charge Pistol or Shotgun; Grapple

Baalzebup

Has anyone else finished all the Secret Missions?

My trophy didn't unlock, so I assumed the trophy was misnamed and meant to complete all blue orbs. But now I've found all the blue orb fragments and still no trophy.

Huh, let me check. I've definitely gotten 2 full bars. Yup, going by the screen cap, the trophy is awarded when you complete the stage where you did the last secret mission. That wasn't my last orb fragment either, I was missing one of those style-o-meter doodads at that point.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What character?

You disengage their cloak by either using powerful gun shots (Charged shots in Nero's case) or other long ranged options. With Nero doing a few Snatches/Busters in a row would disengage the cloaks and then you go to town on the crabby bodies. Buster close body on the cloak does a ton of "damage" to the cloak. Safest and easiest option is in fact charge shot. I think Charge 3 shot can one shot the cloaks.

Charged shots, all day long. Charge 3 really preferable. Nero's Buster also rips a good chunk from the cloaks "health"

Yeah, as Nero was where I was having difficulty. I only have Charge 2 but that will help a lot. Was only thinking the Buster was what could get rid of their cloaks and exposing myself to a lot of hits because of it.

Dahbomb

Yeah, as Nero was where I was having difficulty. I only have Charge 2 but that will help a lot. Was only thinking the Buster was what could get rid of their cloaks and exposing myself to a lot of hits because of it.
Doing Snatch works too as a mid range option. It seems like it's not doing anything but doing like 4 of them on a Mephisto can decloak and then you can snatch him again into a full combo.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Doing Snatch works too as a mid range option. It seems like it's not doing anything but doing like 4 of them on a Mephisto can decloak and then you can snatch him again into a full combo.

Oh wow, I just thought it did nothing. Thanks for the tips, everyone. These enemies were really killing my enjoyment of the game.

Oh wow, I just thought it did nothing. Thanks for the tips, everyone. These enemies were really killing my enjoyment of the game.

they are still pretty annoying even knowing how to beat them. they remind me of the fallen in DMC3. just kind of unwieldy and not fun to play with.

Dahbomb

they are still pretty annoying even knowing how to beat them. they remind me of the fallen in DMC3. just kind of unwieldy and not fun to play with.
Nah these enemies are way easier to deal with than Fallen.

You can get them into their crabby bodies and just go ham like you do against Scarecrows.

Against Fallen you can't properly combo them, they aren't very responsive to hit stun and just float in mid air. Basically without Trickster they are a huge chore to fight against.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nah these enemies are way easier to deal with than Fallen.

You can get them into their crabby bodies and just go ham like you do against Scarecrows.

Against Fallen you can't properly combo them, they aren't very responsive to hit stun and just float in mid air. Basically without Trickster they are a huge chore to fight against.

True. But they can kinda be a hassle if you're facing 3-5 of them on like LDK or some higher mode if you aren't careful to try to pop them one at a time.

Mr. X

Lady is more fun than Vergil.

Does anyone know if Rebellion Combo B is suppose to auto swap back to Yamato at the end?

The Fallen enemies kinda feel like they'd fit a lot better in DMC3 if it had style switching, yeah. But I think DMC4's essential emphasis on making every single enemy comboable/jugglable is really smart, yeah.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well now I'm really pissed off. I have all 12 markers on my Total Ranking Screen and still no trophy. I redid one of the early Secret Missions just to see if it would pop. Nothing.

Yeah, I need a day's break or so from this game. I'm finding more stuff with Trish, nut my play is just getting more sloppy and ending with me in frustration most of the time.

sector4

For those that have the Asian disc release, is there any way to change the tutorial and menu descriptor text to English from Japanese? Shouldn't be too much of an issue if not, but would be helpful for the tutorials in particular.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
For those that have the Asian disc release, is there any way to change the tutorial and menu descriptor text to English from Japanese? Shouldn't be too much of an issue if not, but would be helpful for the tutorials in particular.

Change your PS4 system language to English (US).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hmm I think it is that already, it might be English (GB), I'll give that a shot tonight, thanks :)

English (UK) will give you Japanese text. If you switch it to English (US), the disc will read English.

It's almost here folks....

People keep on getting better and better with Vergil at an astonishing rate.

We are almost at the verge of a crazy full featured combo video. I feel it in my bones.

I can't believe I posted without replying to this. Chaser's Vergil is looking incredibly sharp. He's doing things in that video that no one else has strung together just yet. And it's only the beginning.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm getting worried, think I got one more to go.

A word of advice. Complete the mission after your last Secret Mission. I know this was a weird thing in the 360 version's achievements, where it didn't actually check your progress until the mission completion screen, so quitting to the Mission Menu didn't allow it to register the achievement. You had to any Mission for it to pop.

I forgot about this and just quit. That said, I've replayed a ton of Missions and Secret Missions at this point and nothing.

Aske

I've barely even scratched the surface with Vergil. The amount of content in this game is monstrous. But I'm fairly certain that nothing feels as good as a perfect mid-combo exceed with Nero. Timing sword swings with revs of the DS4 L2 trigger feels glorious.

LDK mission 7, 2 Fausts at the appearing / disappearing platforms section. Pure dickery.

Nope! The game wants you to strategize...Once you clue in they're cake.

A word of advice. Complete the mission after your last Secret Mission. I know this was a weird thing in the 360 version's achievements, where it didn't actually check your progress until the mission completion screen, so quitting to the Mission Menu didn't allow it to register the achievement. You had to any Mission for it to pop.

I forgot about this and just quit. That said, I've replayed a ton of Missions and Secret Missions at this point and nothing.

I went back and redid the secret mission which was supposed to pop the trophy and finished the mission and i got the trophy.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I went back and redid the secret mission which was supposed to pop the trophy and finished the mission and i got the trophy.

Thank you. I'll give it a try. Did you quit out of more than just the final mission? When doing my run through of the Secret Missions, I basically quit to the Mission Select after completing each one. I hope I don't have to redo all of them.

BadWolf

Don't know how good this is for a remaster but after two weeks DMC4SE has sold about 42k in Japan (according to the Media Create thread).

Fausts/Mephistos are probably my favourite looking enemies in DMC4,but rank in the top 3 annoying ones to take down (after Blitz and Chimeras. Fuck Chimeras) too.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Any tips for dodging for all character? I always dodge in wrong way because of lock-on and thanks to camera :(

The regular jump has invincibility frames in the startup.  If you time your jump, you can actually jump through almost all attacks. Just think of your regular jump as a dodge and press it at the last second to avoid an attack. This is universal.

Don't know how good this is for a remaster but after two weeks DMC4SE has sold about 42k in Japan (according to the Media Create thread).

REmake HD sold about 52000 in the first week. That said, REmake HD broke sales records for remaster for a number of very good reasons. I think DMC4SE seems to be doing okay, but it all depends on Capcom's expectations.

BadWolf

Any tips for dodging for all character? I always dodge in wrong way because of lock-on and thanks to camera :(

Use regular jump to dodge instead of rolling.

Regular jump has a lot of invincibility frames on the way up and there's no need for lock-on.

REmake HD sold about 52000 in the first week. That said, REmake HD broke sales records for remaster for a number of very good reasons. I think DMC4SE seems to be doing okay, but it all depends on Capcom's expectations.

Yeah they aren't really comparable since REmake was stuck on GC for over a decade.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah they aren't really comparable since REmake was stuck on GC for over a decade.

Yep. That coupled with the fact that RE just commands higher numbers worldwide and the higher launch price for DMC4SE.

What does concern me is the drop off rate of 82%, which indicates the game might not have strong legs, but we'll just have to see.

Sephzilla

It's almost here folks....

People keep on getting better and better with Vergil at an astonishing rate.

We are almost at the verge of a crazy full featured combo video. I feel it in my bones.

126920-Simpsons-stop-stop-hes-already-7Shi.jpeg

The regular jump has invincibility frames in the startup.  If you time your jump, you can actually jump through almost all attacks. Just think of your regular jump as a dodge and press it at the last second to avoid an attack. This is universal.

Use regular jump to dodge instead of rolling.

Regular jump has a lot of invincibility frames on the way up and there's no need for lock-on.

Thanks for tips :)
They need to fix dodging mechanic in DMC5, shit it's so hard to use properly

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Thanks for tips :)
They need to fix dodging mechanic in DMC5, shit it's so hard to use properly

It's deliberate and a design choice. Your regular jump has a lot of quick invincibility at the start, while your roll has much longer invincibility frames. The jump carries you vertically but doesn't have much horizontal clearance without air hike, so you can't just hop out of trouble whenever you feel like it. You have to time your jumps and be calculated.

A lot of this has been thrown out the window with Vergil, who breaks the rules a little too much if you ask me, but there's a reason for the above limitation. The dodging isn't hard. You just have to time it. It's a feature, not a flaw.

gunbo13

His Vergil is like half speed to his Dante. I usually can pick up formulaic play, paint by numbers stuff in most DMC videos. Donguri's Dante though is something to marvel. He basically owns that character.
Once the tech is established, it will be great to see combos that are planned out and not so jerky. But there seems to be a lot more cancelling then I expected. This speed makes me want to dive in and play around.

Llyranor

His Vergil is like half speed to his Dante. I usually can pick up formulaic play, paint by numbers stuff in most DMC videos. Donguri's Dante though is something to marvel. He basically owns that character.

Once the tech is established, it will be great to see combos that are planned out and not so jerky. But there seems to be a lot more cancelling then I expected. This speed makes me want to dive in and play around.

Yeah..... that Dante is something else. Geeeez!

It's deliberate and a design choice. Your regular jump has a lot of quick invincibility at the start, while your roll has much longer invincibility frames. The jump carries you vertically but doesn't have much horizontal clearance without air hike, so you can't just hop out of trouble whenever you feel like it. You have to time your jumps and be calculated.

A lot of this has been thrown out the window with Vergil, who breaks the rules a little too much if you ask me, but there's a reason for the above limitation. The dodging isn't hard. You just have to time it. It's a feature, not a flaw.

Yeah. I mean, part of that is why I wouldn't necessarily advise people to get used to relying solely on jumping for dodging, though, even though I understand how useful that is for new players.

Another major thing that balances the jump is that (outside of Air Hike/Sky Star, whose use is fairly limited outside of DT) you have basically no way to get further invincibility frames once you're already in the air. An already airborne character is way more vulnerable (though obviously there are some attacks you have to dodge by getting airborne and staying there for a while).

I'd be down for the dodge input becoming simpler than R1+direction+X, though. DmC's two dodge buttons were very silly, and I think it's important for dodging to retain some required directionality to it rather than just functioning Bayonetta-style (though obviously Vergil can use Trick to accomplish some similar stuff with much more precise and less generous timing). But I do think that the games do an insufficient job of teaching the player side dodging with proper incentives even though they're really good at teaching a lot of other lessons, and I think dodging is a really important technique that is also a good bit trickier to learn, input-wise, than just pulling off attacks. I admit that I can't come up with a working replacement scheme that *isn't* a dedicated dodge button, though.

Perhaps a better solution would lie in incentives (beyond just the i-frames); DMC1 had the fairly cool Rolling Blaze thing to enhance your jump when you have Ifrit equipped, and DMC4SE Lady can deal damage with her double jump, but DMC has never made a roll dodge more than just a roll dodge. I'd be down for more things like Table Hopper - you could have Trish's dodge create an electricity trap if she does it with perfect timing, or even (gulp!) have it temporarily activate Quicksilver with perfect timing. Regardless, I think the test of mid-tier skill in DMC should be about your ability to read a situation (including enemy placements, enemy telegraphs, enemy health, and enemy vulnerabilities) and react accordingly, and less about your ability to handle a ton of inputs (which I see as more of a high-end thing). But on top of that, as I've argued elsewhere, the more stuff you can cram into marginally simpler controls, the more you can make the more complex higher-end stuff even more rewarding (which is why, for example, Dante should always have gun-charging turned on, not just when he's in Gunslinger, and which is why a lot of his Style-specific inputs should be turned into forward/backward+shoot inputs or two-face-button inputs).

Also, as much as people are reporting that Trish feels like the hardest character to do truly stylish and impressive stuff with, I've got to say that she looks way better in videos than Lady does. Lady does not look that exciting at all in videos even though she's a good deal of fun to actually play with. I reiterate my wish that Lady were all about ultra-high mobility. One fun thing I can think of that'd work kinda well: giving each of her guns a different double-jump move (instead of just the Kalina Ann one), and then letting them all count as a *different* double jump (so that with some weapon swapping in quick succession, you could actually quadruple jump with a rocket jump, Rainstorm, and some kind of downward shotgun blast). It'd be a nice callback to her acrobaticism in DMC3 to have stuff like that. I do understand, though, that locking her in place a lot of the time is pretty important in order to make her not totally overpower the DMC4 enemies, who mostly aren't designed to handle a theoretical character who could just keep dancing around outside of their range while hammering them with attacks from afar. I'm hoping DMC5 is a good opportunity for her character to shine (as a high-mobility version of her would require enemies that are better at teaming up and better at chasing you down quickly).

Thank you. I'll give it a try. Did you quit out of more than just the final mission? When doing my run through of the Secret Missions, I basically quit to the Mission Select after completing each one. I hope I don't have to redo all of them.

The last secret mission was the only one i quit out of .

Helscream

Banned
So I beat DMD with Lady and Trish. Lady wasn't so bad except Credo and Dante. Credo was a royal pain in the ass. With Trish I could never kill a Blitz before they went self destruct. They only tool to take down their shield was the Pandora laser canon (which consumes DT Gauge). Everything else takes way to long to remove the shield. And I dont see what the player can do to deal enough damage to kill them in time.

I would also like to add I find it funny when Chimera Assault will continue to ass rape you even when you beat the shit outta them with Sparda + Bare Knuckle combo.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Certainly not representative of a whole, but DMC4SE is number 4 on the top selling digital PS4 titles and number 10 on the top selling digital XBONE titles on Amazon.com.

I wouldn't say it means much, but it's still nice to see.

So I beat DMD with Lady and Trish. Lady wasn't so bad except Credo and Dante. Credo was a royal pain in the ass. With Trish I could never kill a Blitz before they went self destruct. They only tool to take down their shield was the Pandora laser canon (which consumes DT Gauge). Everything else takes way to long to remove the shield. And I dont see what the player can do to deal enough damage to kill them in time.

I would also like to add I find it funny when Chimera Assault will continue to ass rape you even when you beat the shit outta them with Sparda + Bare Knuckle combo.

Blitzes and Chimeras are singlehandedly the worst enemies in the entire game. Chimeras not so much because of themselves (that's easy mode), but because of what they can do. Especially to Assaults. It's so stupid and just not fun. Cutlasses aren't exactly up there either.

BadWolf

Blitzes are cool, Chimeras suck ass.

Credo is easy with Lady, the grapple lets you avoid his combo attacks and charge shot 3 with the guns owns him in general. He also likes to walk slowly from across the screen at you and let you charge a level 3 Kalina Ann shot.

Certainly not representative of a whole, but DMC4SE is number 4 on the top selling digital PS4 titles and number 10 on the top selling digital XBONE titles on Amazon.com.

I wouldn't say it means much, but it's still nice to see.

Good to hear, maybe they will clear a couple (or more) hundred thousand at least between all the versions. Not bad for 6 months work on a small budget.

Top Bottom