• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Experience doesn't have much to do with it, it's one of those things where you have to start with it or else it just becomes harder to switch over because the speed difference is jarring (it's not THAT much faster but it's fast enough where the difference gets you).

Trust me you basically just want to be in Turbo mode from the start.

Do you get more points for playing in turbo mode or something? I guess I'm just wondering why everyone switches to turbo mode eventually if it's just a faster version of the game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Do you get more points for playing in turbo mode or something? I guess I'm just wondering why everyone switches to turbo mode eventually if it's just a faster version of the game.

The game just feels better in Turbo. It's not a difficulty thing, really. It just gives a better pace to the combat.

It's at about 37k in Steam: http://steamspy.com/app/329050
Not great, I would guess.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.

NOOOO

I LOST TO DANTE ON THE LAST LEVEL OF BLOODY PALACE

:(

How did everyone here like DmC:DE?

It fixed a significant number of the glaring problems that made the original release terrible, so it's a huge improvement. That said, I never liked the underlying story or characters, so nothing can save it on that end.

Monocle

It's great. Easily among the top three all time DMC titles.
That means it would have to be better than either DMC1, DMC3SE, or DMC4SE, which is poppycock.

DmC:DE is the fourth best DMC game, replacing the original DmC. Its combat is certainly more advanced than DMC1's, but DMC1 is one of Hideki Kamiya's signature titles, designed to near-perfection down to the last detail. In terms of art, enemy design, music, atmosphere, and cool extras like the enemy digests that update when you're shredded by attacks you've never seen before, DMC1 is still unrivaled within its own series.

BadWolf

I enjoyed my time with DmC and finished it on DH, SOS and DMD back to back but have felt zero desire to revisit it since, or bother with the DE version.

It's a solid action game overall.

Zocano

That means it would have to be better than either DMC1, DMC3SE, or DMC4SE, which is poppycock.

DmC:DE is the fourth best DMC game, replacing the original DmC.

I think being better than DMC1 is a lot easier than you make it out to be. The game laid the groundwork for all to come but it has been out done on many levels (it has a few really good bosses). Thinking DmC: DE can't be better to someone is not giving that game enough credit or giving DMC1 too much.

Mizerman

It improved the gameplay from vanilla DmC which was a wise decision. At the same time, no amount of competent gameplay could ever get me to like the characters, setting and story of the reboot.

It depends on where you stand, though.

Monocle

I think being better than DMC1 is a lot easier than you make it out to be. The game laid the groundwork for all to come but it has been out done on many levels (it has a few really good bosses). Thinking DmC: DE can't be better to someone is not giving that game enough credit or giving DMC1 too much.
Can't disagree more. It's basically the king in every area besides combat (and arguably plot, because DMC3's was decent), and even still, its relatively simple mechanics have loads of depth. Did you know that every enemy including bosses has a fatality, and that all enemies gain new abilities in Dante Must Die mode? All of the enemy designs, mechanics, etc. are extremely well thought out, which is typical of Kamiya's games.

Also, see my edit. (Previous post.)

105.Will

I'd say DMC1 beats DmC purely on the idea that it created the genre. But i guess that's not entirely fair

DmC felt okay on its own aside from the terrible dialogue, but it just didn't feel like there was as much there. Combat LOOKED cool and there were still advanced techniques, but it never felt like there could be anything like DMC4 done with it.

Also tired of the Special Edition crashing on PC with no mention of a patch yet. Pretty much just uninstalled and trying to forget about it until hopefully it gets fixed.

It fixed a lot of problems I had with the original and made it considerably more playable. That said I still have a lot of problems with the game regarding its enemy design, boss design, feedback and control. I also still dislike the plot very much (that's true of DMC4 as well but at least it has a few moments/characters I like). But I still had some fun with it and consider it to be a fairly good action game, but still falling below games like DMC1, 3, 4, MGR and Bayonetta. It's not something I'm in a rush to play again any time soon though.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Beat Devil Hunter with Lady/Trish. I'm still not used to Lady, I did much better with Trish. I decided to give LDK a try again with Vergil and it's going much better than trying it cold.

Dahbomb

It just feels better and not only that but it has become the defacto standard in combo videos and high level play anyway. You rarely see any normal speed high level videos.

Like most of us played tried out Turbo mode in DMC3SE and were hooked ever since then.

It's a very good to great action game. Writing/story/characters are bad but the game play is solid and the level design keeps you engaged (even if it's rather linear). Definitive edition should be supported because it was a game made from solid fan based constructive feedback.

Real talk, didn't even know this game had a turbo mode until now. Tried some out with Vergil, wow was I playing the game wrong.

I really liked my time with it. Its a great action game, but can't hold its own compared to 1, 3, and 4:SE.

Though I prefer its style meter more than to any other DMC game.

ShinMaruku

I just finished Bloody Place. Boy do I need some work on my play. I think I am going to do what I did in DMC and just play from normal to the VH equivalent until I just break it down.

I didn't get to playing all the way through because of how close it was coming out next to Bloodborne, but for the first several levels I was enjoying it significantly more than I did the original release. Still disliked the story and characters, but the turbo and hardcore mode changes were much appreciated. Might pick it up again at some point.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Can't disagree more. It's basically the king in every area besides combat (and arguably plot, because DMC3's was decent), and even still, its relatively simple mechanics have loads of depth. Did you know that every enemy including bosses has a fatality, and that all enemies gain new abilities in Dante Must Die mode? All of the enemy designs, mechanics, etc. are extremely well thought out, which is typical of Kamiya's games.

Also, see my edit. (Previous post.)

Agreed, I still haven't seen a game in this genre I consider to be as complete an experience as DMC1. It's not all about combat mechanics, friends.

Agreed, I still haven't seen a game in this genre I consider to be as complete an experience as DMC1. It's not all about combat mechanics, friends.
NGB is more complete than DMC1 imo. I got bored in my second playthrough of DMC1 back when it was released (because combat was more sparse due to RE-ness of the game). Played DMC3 to death because of the combat.

Ninja Gaiden Black.

Jam packed with content, and way better attempts at platforming than DMC made (Swimming as well, though by a small margin).

ShinMaruku

DmC tainted my view that I'd never even try the new edition. Can't be giving money to that bad idea. But perhaps it is improved. I will never know. :E

Dahbomb

DMC1's visual design, enemy designs, artstyle pretty much blows NG1 out of the water though. Great audio design as well.

Actually DMC1 generally blows every action game in those areas.

Combat has been surpassed by a bunch of games but very few (if any games) maximizes the combat tools as good as DMC1 does. DMC1 has like one useless move (Round Trip although it's a good style tool) and that's it. NG on the other hand is filled to the brim with useless, vanilla moves.

I wholeheartedly agree, friend. DMC1 is still my overall favorite in the series (although I love 3 and 4 still). Those enemies and interconnected levels. sogood.gif

I think the first Bayonetta edges it out though.

ezekial45

Banned

DmC:DE is the fourth best DMC game, replacing the original DmC. Its combat is certainly more advanced than DMC1's, but DMC1 is one of Hideki Kamiya's signature titles, designed to near-perfection down to the last detail. In terms of art, enemy design, music, atmosphere, and cool extras like the enemy digests that update when you're shredded by attacks you've never seen before, DMC1 is still unrivaled within its own series.

Yes, I do think it's in the top three. DMC1 unfortunately has aged horribly, and in my opinion, it's not that fun to play anymore given the outdated structure of it. It's got great art and design, sure, but it's still ancient. DmC: DE, however, is amazing to play and it feels like a great balance of new and old. Plus, the new features reinvigorate things. I really wished DMC4SE took advantage of the Must Style and GMD modes.

But anyway, DmC: DE is totally a worthy DMC game that does certain things way better original games. For me, this is my ranking.

DMC4SE > DmC: DE > DMC3SE

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DMC1's visual design, enemy designs, artstyle pretty much blows NG1 out of the water though. Great audio design as well.

I think Ninja Gaiden Black actually had pretty strong art and enemy design. It wasn't until Ninja Gaiden 2 when enemy and level design shit the bed entirely. DMC1 might be better, but I don't know if I'd call it a slam dunk.

Combat has been surpassed by a bunch of games but very few (if any games) maximizes the combat tools as good as DMC1 does. DMC1 has like one useless move (Round Trip although it's a good style tool) and that's it. NG on the other hand is filled to the brim with useless, vanilla moves.
Even though DMC1 had better looking environments, the amount of environments you traverse in NGB's hub felt more interesting and vast compared to DMC1's small Castle and linear outdoor area you explore (to get Ifrit and such). If DMC1's castle was expanded to be much larger and more hub like I'd like that... But it felt really small... Also more melee weapons would have been nice too, even if NGB you had only ~3 viable weapons?

Dahbomb

A lot of the enemies and bosses in NG were either vanilla ninja looking dudes or generic demon looking dudes. Yea some had cool designs but a lot of them were generic designs on top of having bad art style.

Like these generic as fuck demon enemies that look like they come from Doom:

ninja-gaiden-screen-1.jpg

Compared to their analogues in DMC1 which are fucking sick:

latest

Don't get me wrong, NGB is GOAT tier action game but it's got some generic shit in there.

ShinMaruku

A lot of the enemies and bosses in NG were either vanilla ninja looking dudes or generic demon looking dudes. Yea some had cool designs but a lot of them were generic designs on top of having bad art style.

ninja-gaiden-screen-1.jpg

latest

Both of those things are my fave big enemies in a action game. They both crack me up. Especially the nobodies. "HEEHEEHEEEHEEE"
They need to return.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

But there were so many different enemies and so many variations of enemy archetypes in NGB. Even though the one you linked just looks like a giant zombie, it was basically the vanilla enemy type for that area.

Mizerman

latest

Don't get me wrong, NGB is GOAT tier action game but it's got some generic shit in there.

Oh jeebus...I remember those bastards. Trolling the fuck outta me in DMC1.

Dahbomb

DMC4SE > DmC: DE > DMC3SE
I think you have 3 and 4 reversed there.

But there were so many different enemies and so many variations of enemy archetypes in NGB. Even though the one you linked just looks like a giant zombie, it was basically the vanilla enemy type for that area.
I can give many examples of generic ass looking enemies in NGB, that's just the first thing that came to my mind.

Baalzebup

The one DMC1 enemy that I would really like to see again is the Shadow. Those guys were fucking bad ass. That one secret mission where you had to deal with 3 of 'em at once was something else.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
NGB is more complete than DMC1 imo. I got bored in my second playthrough of DMC1 back when it was released (because combat was more sparse due to RE-ness of the game). Played DMC3 to death because of the combat.

Ninja Gaiden Black.

Jam packed with content, and way better attempts at platforming than DMC made (Swimming as well, though by a small margin).

Respectfully disagree. I won't argue though because NGB is my 2nd favorite game in the genre after DMC1.

Top Bottom