• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Finally picked this up, and DAMN. I am still terrible at being stylish. Vergil is fun to play as, however. Sometimes mashing buttons works, in a small way. Got wrecked as Lady. Too little health, wasted a retry. What a mess!

Great update to the game.

The original was my first DMC game back when it launched on PS3 and it was a favorite. The inclusion of so many characters and moves at a good price made this a no-brainer for me.

I fired this up yesterday for a few minutes, and am really loving how smooth and responsive everything feels since I last played. Now I just have to git gud again and try out turbo mode.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
As one of the winners of the DMC4SE giveaway I feel obliged to drop by here and say hi and thanks. :) I'm currently on vacation and away from my PC but I'm planning my first playthrough when I get back. Having played DMC4 for just a few hours when it came out, should I start with Nero/Dante and then move onto the other characters when I'm done? Or does it make sense to start with the other characters instead?

BadWolf

As one of the winners of the DMC4SE giveaway I feel obliged to drop by here and say hi and thanks. :) I'm currently on vacation and away from my PC but I'm planning my first playthrough when I get back. Having played DMC4 for just a few hours when it came out, should I start with Nero/Dante and then move onto the other characters when I'm done? Or does it make sense to start with the other characters instead?

Nero and Dante first, since they let you experience the campaign/story properly.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Welcome!

I'd suggest Nero and Dante first. You'll get the canon story and the game is balanced around them.
Be sure to play on Turbo and buy Speed ASAP.

The extra characters are a ton of fun, but they're also absurdly powerful, particularly Vergil. I think they work best after you've already experienced the playthrough first hand with the default.

That said, DT upgrades, and other currency carry over between all characters, so you won't have to grind for each character if you decide to switch mid-campaign.

Sephzilla

Shit, i missed the winner announcements apparently, congrats!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Shit, i missed the winner announcements apparently, congrats!

Oh I actually forgot to cross post the results of the voting from the giveaway. For anyone interested...

THE TOP DEVIL MAY CRY WEAPONS (with votes over 10):

160 E&I
109 Yamato
101 Rebellion
73 Agni & Rudra
68 Red Queen
58 Alastor
54 Nevan
52 Cerberus
51 Gilgamesh
47 Sword of Sparda
41 Beowulf
27 Ifrit
20 Lucifer
20 Pandora
15 Devil Bringer
11 Shotgun

Seyavesh

11 shotgun votes

hell
yeah

H88iHOK.gif

Having a lot more fun with Dante this time around. Made decent use of style switching against the She-Viper boss, though I generally just stick to Swordmaster in normal fights.

And years later, I still have zero fucking idea what to do with royal guard. I even fully leveled it up in DMC3 and still don't know the proper way to use it ;_;

BadWolf

And years later, I still have zero fucking idea what to do with royal guard. I even fully leveled it up in DMC3 and still don't know the proper way to use it ;_;

Combine it with jumping for easier parrying (do regular jump then parry).

This lets you benefit from the invincibility frames of a regular jump to make parrying a lot less risky.

Try practicing it against Berial's lunge attack.

This applies to Royal Release as well.

Sephzilla

Oh I actually forgot to cross post the results of the voting from the giveaway. For anyone interested...

THE TOP DEVIL MAY CRY WEAPONS (with votes over 10):

160 E&I
109 Yamato
101 Rebellion
73 Agni & Rudra
68 Red Queen
58 Alastor
54 Nevan
52 Cerberus
51 Gilgamesh
47 Sword of Sparda
41 Beowulf
27 Ifrit
20 Lucifer
20 Pandora
15 Devil Bringer
11 Shotgun

Red Queen above Nevan and Alastor is a fucking crime

BadWolf

Nah, Red Queen is awesome.

The Exceed/Act system is brilliant, not to mention rev'ing it during Devil Bringer attacks against bosses.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Anyone who's sad about Nevan's placement really shouldn't be. People could only select one, and aside from series staples and main swords, Nevan was actually third from the acquired weapon pool.

The Red Queen is, of necessity, probably the most versatile melee weapon in the entire series. It's certainly got the biggest moveset.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Vergil is anime as fuck, haha.

But eh, I don't know, he seems a bit simplistic to me, and he has some absurd DmC hitboxes.

What specifically bothers me about Vergil is how much he breaks the rules. He doesn't have move restrictions in the air and can teleport with impunity. Dante and Nero have those restrictions in place to balance them within the scope of the game.

It's like adding a UMVC3 character who can ground and wall bounce as much as they want, and has no hit stun deterioration. I totally understand that DMC isn't a competitive game, but it still requires a degree of balance, and many of the things being done in these combo videos could still be done without breaking all the rules.

That said, I view Vergil as a test character. We'll see what they end up doing with the data.

Sorral

Man, I was doing pretty well in that mission on Legendary heading to an S until this happened...

dmc4seboo238p2b.gif

I just dropped my controller and was like welp, enough DMC for tonight especially since I had no idea this thing can do that after killing it several times earlier already.

BadWolf

Man, I was doing pretty well in that mission on Legendary heading to an S until this happened...

I just dropped my controller and was like welp, enough DMC for tonight especially since I had no idea this thing can do that after killing it several times earlier already.

Activate Devil Trigger to get out of that.

Baalzebup

You can do that? Damn, thanks for the nice tip.

As a general rule, activating devil trigger will get you out of many bad places to be. For example, you can get out of the mouth of Dagon/Bael instantly by using it. Saves you a shitload of health if you happen to get gobbled up and you trigger before it starts to chew.

Dahbomb

Vergil is anime as fuck, haha.

But eh, I don't know, he seems a bit simplistic to me, and he has some absurd DmC hitboxes.
Simplistic only compared to Dante maybe.

The hitboxes are fine when not in max Concentration mode. When in max Concentration he gets like full screen Launchers and shit.....

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just saw some DMC4 footage that wasn't in turbo mode. Holy shit it looks like the game is in slow motion.
I put the game into Turbo to start despite not having played it before, regreted it a few missions in, but when I reverted I did worse because the timing was so different it threw me off. Had to turn it back on immediately.

Sorral

As a general rule, activating devil trigger will get you out of many bad places to be. For example, you can get out of the mouth of Dagon/Bael instantly by using it. Saves you a shitload of health if you happen to get gobbled up and you trigger before it starts to chew.

I figure as much now yeah. I'm definitely not going to use the last three circles of DT's gauge for such situations.

Haven't played it like this since around the PS3 release, so it almost feels like a new experience sometimes. I really hope that they say some actual announcements about DMC5 soon.

105.Will

So i was about 60% through my SoS Dante/Nero playthrough and said "man, I kinda want to play Vergil again", and than proceeded to beat the game twice in one sitting with him. This character is to much fun.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the tips, I'll start with Dante and Nero then. Not sure I'll go with turbo mode just yet though haha, I'll wait until I have some more experience with the game.

Dahbomb

Thanks for the tips, I'll start with Dante and Nero then. Not sure I'll go with turbo mode just yet though haha, I'll wait until I have some more experience with the game.
Experience doesn't have much to do with it, it's one of those things where you have to start with it or else it just becomes harder to switch over because the speed difference is jarring (it's not THAT much faster but it's fast enough where the difference gets you).

Trust me you basically just want to be in Turbo mode from the start.

Voror

Should I have played through first on regular before switching to turbo? Because I just turned that on and didn't look back.

I do really wish there was a training mode of some sort.

Dahbomb

Should I have played through first on regular before switching to turbo? Because I just turned that on and didn't look back.

I do really wish there was a training mode of some sort.
No turning on Turbo mode from start is what you should be doing.

Technically if you know how the manipulate the dice (a single melee hit), Mission 19 is a boss rush leading up to Mission 20 which is just the boss.

Helscream

Banned
Blitzes and Chimeras are singlehandedly the worst enemies in the entire game. Chimeras not so much because of themselves (that's easy mode), but because of what they can do. Especially to Assaults. It's so stupid and just not fun. Cutlasses aren't exactly up there either.

Chimeras are easily the most hated and for good reason. Blitz are irritating as well, but IMO they are the most irritating when using Trish.

I'll be trying DMD with Vergil next. From what I've read he's pretty OP.

Top Bottom