• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Monocle

I want a Wii U for Platinum's games more than Nintendo games at this point.
There's never been a better time to jump in. TW101 and Bayonetta 2 + 1 can both be had at bargain prices, and they are brilliant. The Wii U is absolutely killing it with the Nintendo exclusives though. I mean, DK: Tropical Freeze, Smash 4, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon... you'd have to try really hard not to have fun with a library like that.

/shameless shill

Yep. That coupled with the fact that RE just commands higher numbers worldwide and the higher launch price for DMC4SE.

What does concern me is the drop off rate of 82%, which indicates the game might not have strong legs, but we'll just have to see.

REmake also dropped sharply. Its physical sales in Japan LTD was 82,000.

Dmc4se is outpacing dmc3se thats all that matters. Even moreso when you consider we don't know dmc4se's digital sales. It might even outperform the hd collection in japan if its digital sales are strong enough.

Golnei

I had to make an attempt at some variation on Balder eventually. I would have done the Masked Lumen outfit, but it doesn't really work with any of the meshes currently in the game. Actually; I'm not sure if anyone's ripped that model at all...
4bal1lmubu.png

4bal2pzuz5.png

i am really starting to hate blitz as trish on DMD
even the laser ain't that great of an option against 'em anymore

I can't stand Blitzes as Trish either - they're some of the more fun enemies as Lady and Vergil; and Dante's Gunslinger moveset and Nero's Charge Shot mean they're fairly manageable with them as well; but Trish's limited skillset make them a slog, at least with my complete lack of competence. Even just a charge shot would make things go so much faster.

Lol part of the reason I desperately want DMC5 to come out is because I don't have a wii u or xbone to play Platinum games heh.

Is DMC5 a Platinum game now? I guess after collaborating with Access for SE it wouldn't be surprising; even if they'd be almost certain to do the series a greater disservice than Ninja Theory pre-revision.

DMC1's visual design, enemy designs, artstyle pretty much blows NG1 out of the water though. Great audio design as well.

Actually DMC1 generally blows every action game in those areas.

DMC1's art direction and enemy / sound design are still unrivalled. I really hope 5 can finally surpass it in that area - at least for the art and music; Itsuno and Kobayashi definitely have had the right sort of talent on hand, but their direction is crucial. Rei Kondoh, Kento Hasegawa, Shusaku Uchiyama and Tetsuya Shibata are capable of so much more than their DMC4 output, and hopefully the next game will use them more intelligently if they're brought back. Though Ishi seemed to do fairly well with what he was given on Sengoku Basara 4 and DMC4 - his character themes and Baroque and Beats are a far cry from The Yoshi Clan.

ZOE2 is a top 3 game on PS2 for me. It's so good.

They need to get Platinum to make ZOE3 if Konami isn't ever going to do it.

In a just world, the flaming pyre of dead and broken Konami franchises would be their responsibility. We don't live in a dimension that's anywhere as charitable.

MistBreeze

Just started Dante campaign and OH BOY Dante mechanics are overwhelming, it feels entierly different game!!!

Although I played the game back in 2008 but back then I did not bother with style meters and revs or styles,,,

Seyavesh

I can't stand Blitzes as Trish either - they're some of the more fun enemies as Lady and Vergil; and Dante's Gunslinger moveset and Nero's Charge Shot mean they're fairly manageable with them as well; but Trish's limited skillset make them a slog, at least with my complete lack of competence. Even just a charge shot would make things go so much faster.

yeah turns out you can just kill them in one go even on DMD by just being boring
laser 'em to unarmor them during one of their big moves and then just do trish's lunar phase over and over and over until they die

it will take them from 100 to near-death/dead desperation mode
thinking about it made me realize that what trish really needs is trickster dashes- both on the ground or in the air to really make her feel more 'complete' since that's what keeps away the boredom in blitz fights as dante

Is DMC5 a Platinum game now? I guess after collaborating with Access for SE it wouldn't be surprising; even if they'd be almost certain to do the series a greater disservice than Ninja Theory pre-revision.

Lol no I just mean I get to play a modern high quality character action game again ^^;

Cause my options are limited to Platinum, Capcom and Team Ninja.

DMC1's visual design, enemy designs, artstyle pretty much blows NG1 out of the water though. Great audio design as well.

Combat has been surpassed by a bunch of games but very few (if any games) maximizes the combat tools as good as DMC1 does. DMC1 has like one useless move (Round Trip although it's a good style tool) and that's it. NG on the other hand is filled to the brim with useless, vanilla moves.

Agree, I feel the only area in DMC4 that goes up there next to the fantastic castle environments of DMC1 is this area:

devilmaycry4specialedxssed.jpg

But it's like one room, I'd love to have a more free area to roam and a more gradual change between locations.

Golnei

thinking about it made me realize that what trish really needs is trickster dashes- both on the ground or in the air to really make her feel more 'complete' since that's what keeps away the boredom in blitz fights as dante

That would help a lot, especially with the pseudo-Evil Harvest Rosary weaponised Table Hopper that was suggested earlier. Anything to give her more options, really.

Agree, I feel the only area in DMC4 that goes up there next to the fantastic castle environments of DMC1 is this area:

devilmaycry4specialedxssed.jpg

But it's like one room, I'd love to have a more free area to roam and a more gradual change between locations.

There were a few other areas that I felt worked well enough - the cathedral you get the Evil Legacy in is one; as well as the Opera House and the first Saviour hallway.

But generally, I agree that the game was devoid of the atmosphere and memorable design seen in places like DMC1's cathedral / coliseum and 3's Escher void / river / waterfall chamber. And that's ignoring the massive room for improvement in the level design itself, as well as DMC4's complete lack of context to its environments...

Son Of D

All this discussion about level aesthetic and design reminds me of a preview in a PS3 magazine in the UK was talking up DMC4 as the best in the franchise and listed the locations being places that aren't (in their words) gothic, dreary castles as a main reason.

Monocle

DMC 4s level design is schizophrenic and nonsensical.
I agree. DMC1 has a lot of diverse outdoor areas too, but they all feel like part of the same continuous territory of Mallet Island.

DMC4 throws you into all sorts of weird environments and there's no real sense of place.

There's certainly a sense of place in DMC3, only most of its areas are rather drab.

Combat has been surpassed by a bunch of games but very few (if any games) maximizes the combat tools as good as DMC1 does. DMC1 has like one useless move (Round Trip although it's a good style tool) and that's it. NG on the other hand is filled to the brim with useless, vanilla moves.

Yeah you are highly wrong about that, homie. But then I find the rabid DMC fanboys to be wrong a lot of times.

Seyavesh

i'm not really a fan of dmc's stage aesthetics overall tbh, beyond the parts that are wildly outlandish or have very strong sense of place- see mission 3, mission 19 in dmc3. overall they just kinda seem functional without leaving too great of an impression.

ninja gaiden's areas are a bit generic at first but when you start descending into hell/getting to the later levels they're really wild and i enjoy that kinda wigging out aesthetic as a counterpoint to the more bland areas. plus it's got the freakin' zeppelin stage with the fight on top of the thing!

i actually really enjoy ninja gaiden 2's stages because of this due to the general variety of interesting locales with a strong sense of place (until you start getting into the 'everything was demon ruins/castle-like stuff/hell is a fiery cave' section of the game)
the venice level is just super pretty and has this really clean look to it that i love as it contrasts perfectly with the huge amount of blood and guts you're producing as you shred through a bajillion werewolves
same with the japan stage, the ninja village stage, the technological blah blah stage. big plus of NGB and NG2 is that even some of the boss venues are really memorable- the flaming dojo, the small room vs murai, the battles vs. doku, alma's cathedral.. of course there's also plenty of bland ones but man when they're good, they are good

oh also i found a silly way as trish to fight blitz that's still less effective than just lasering/spinning them to death: you can do TK divekick fast enough to where there won't be an active physical attack but the lightning streak still comes out. you also retain the jump invin when you do this, so you just basically just run straight at the blitz and keep divekicking it over and over until it's shield is down.if you mess up though you're gonna get hit so it's not really ideal but it makes fights a bit more fun and also helps wildly reduce risk while you sit around waiting to laser them as your vulnerable frames when just screwing around doing that are super limited.

in fact, i think if you link tk divekicks together perfectly you actually never leave invulnerability- i ended up divekicking through a blitz's concentrated laser alongside the followups and really wish i had recorded it because i wasn't able to reproduce it after spending awhile trying

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah you are highly wrong about that, homie. But then I find the rabid DMC fanboys to be wrong a lot of times.

That seems like a rather unwarranted drive by insult. Frankly I find DMC hard core fans tend to be appreciative of other character action games whereas the vice versa is less common, evidenced by the last DMC vs NG thread.

Anyway, while I was arguing on behalf of NGB design, NG does have a lot of superfluous moves. NG2 moreso. 50% of the moves will get you killed on Master Ninja Mode. DMC3 also has its share of
superfluous moves. It's not necessarily a bad thing in either case. In particular, the latter provides rewards for variety. And in general variety just keeps things interesting.

DedValve

Banned
Playing this again is such a blast. I missed all the tiny animations that really cement Capcom as a top tier action dev (only thwarted by ex-capc--I mean platinum).

The way Nero bashes his sword around like a hammer, how he tries to regain balance with each swing.

Virgils forward attack with beowulf with the spinning kicks, my lord that shit just LOOKS satisfying. Like excruciatingly satisfying. I don't know why but thats such a standout animation for me.

I was getting a haircut yesterday and was browsing this thread on my phone and my barber immediately noticed a few virgil combo gifs and was like "wtf I need that" (in spanish).

I told him the glory of Devil May Cry.

BadWolf

Going to get a PS2 in sometime soon so I should finally give God Hand a shot!

It's also available on PSN as a PS2 classic so you can play it on PS3.

Amazing, amazing game. Still probably my fave action game of all time. Gene's movelist is pretty much a martial arts movie fan's wet dream and is extremely well animated (Drunken Boxing, Kung Fu, Jeet Kune Do, Shaolin etc. it's all in). It also has the best dodge system ever. And those Fist of the North Star style visuals are just perfect, the soundtrack is very catchy too.

Here's a weird lore question- in DMC3 did Vergil actually just dropped Beowulf and Dante picked it up or was it just for gameplay reasons that Dante has it?

I remember that part where I walked over to the floating pair of gauntlets to pick it up but it always felt weird lol.

I was getting a haircut yesterday and was browsing this thread on my phone and my barber immediately noticed a few virgil combo gifs and was like "wtf I need that" (in spanish).

Lol, I would love to know the Spanish for that XD

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Here's a weird lore question- in DMC3 did Vergil actually dropped Beowulf and Dante picked it up or was it just for gameplay reasons that Dante has it?

Vergil dropped it immediately after the fight where he uses it. Dante picks it up from the spot where Vergil fell off the edge. If it was just for gameplay reasons, the game would have just started the mission with you acquiring it automatically instead of having to walk over. Vergil no longer has Beowulf after that cutscene.

So yeah, he actually dropped it. Or it got knocked out of him or something.

DedValve

Banned
Here's a weird lore question- in DMC3 did Vergil actually dropped Beowulf and Dante picked it up or was it just for gameplay reasons that Dante has it?

Lol, I would love to know the Spanish for that XD

¿Que carajo eh esa mierda? ¡Coñyo este cabron lo ta tirando! ¿Que juego es este?

I wrote it slang as he said it but its pretty much "what the shit, oh shit this motherfucker is throwing down hard! what game is this?

thats when he learned about Diablos Nunca Lloran.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Virgil is being advertised EVERYWHERE in Japan!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'll take pictures when I go out next time!

Bill boards, posters, DMC4 Special Edition guide books being put in the "front pages" of book stores, and big plywood pictures of Vergil where you can stand next to and take pictures :D

BadWolf

Bill boards, posters, DMC4 Special Edition guide books being put in the "front pages" of book stores, and big plywood pictures of Vergil where you can stand next to and take pictures :D

Damn, that's awesome.

C'mon TGS, don't disappoint.

Vergil dropped it immediately after the fight where he uses it. Dante picks it up from the spot where Vergil fell off the edge. If it was just for gameplay reasons, the game would have just started the mission with you acquiring it automatically instead of having to walk over. Vergil no longer has Beowulf after that cutscene.

So yeah, he actually dropped it. Or it got knocked out of him or something.

Lol butterfingers Vergil.

So Dante has a total of 3 gauntlet class Devil Arms... I think they should bring one of them back instead of designing a fourth one for the next game.

Virgil is being advertised EVERYWHERE in Japan!

Such is the power of a Son of Sparda 0_0

BadWolf

Lol butterfingers Vergil.

So Dante has a total of 3 gauntlet class Devil Arms... I think they should bring one of them back instead of designing a fourth one for the next game.

I wouldn't mind the gauntlets being Vergil only, they should give Dante something new.

Seyavesh

remove gauntlet weapons, bring back sword pierce and add beowulf/ifrit moveset onto the unarmed moveset you gain from using sword pierce

heck yeah

Playing this again is such a blast. I missed all the tiny animations that really cement Capcom as a top tier action dev (only thwarted by ex-capc--I mean platinum).

The way Nero bashes his sword around like a hammer, how he tries to regain balance with each swing.

Virgils forward attack with beowulf with the spinning kicks, my lord that shit just LOOKS satisfying. Like excruciatingly satisfying. I don't know why but thats such a standout animation for me.

My favorite animation in 4 is Dante's Real Impact when you do the DT distortion effect. It's got the perfect meaty hit effect and just feels perfect.

Yoshichan

My favorite animation in 4 is Dante's Real Impact when you do the DT distortion effect. It's got the perfect meaty hit effect and just feels perfect.
This. So fucking good.

DedValve

Banned

A classic one is a million stabs. its easy to forget how good that animation really is in terms of look, weight and feel especially when the others are just so top notch but I've really come appreciate it my second playing the special edition.

Still for me beowulf forward attack is ace. Something about that last kick really seals the deal.

BadWolf

This.

My most memorable moment with it was against Agnus when he was summoning the swords behind him and it looked like the DRI hit just perfect.

The game slowed down to a crawl as Dante was breaking each sword one by one as he was going up and doing mad damage on Agnus all in one go. Felt like the move was lasting forever.

That seems like a rather unwarranted drive by insult. Frankly I find DMC hard core fans tend to be appreciative of other character action games whereas the vice versa is less common, evidenced by the last DMC vs NG thread.

Anyway, while I was arguing on behalf of NGB design, NG does have a lot of superfluous moves. NG2 moreso. 50% of the moves will get you killed on Master Ninja Mode. DMC3 also has its share of
superfluous moves. It's not necessarily a bad thing in either case. In particular, the latter provides rewards for variety. And in general variety just keeps things interesting.

It wasn't intended to be an insult. I disgree with you about DMC fanboys being appreciative of other character action games. I find a lot of them tend to dismiss other action games, but I'm just going by my own experiences with DMC fans. I love both games for different reasons and don't prefer one over the other like I used to. I put both of them on the same level for different reasons.

Dahbomb

LMAO @ Hollywood Vergil!

Capcom milking dat Vergil!

I wouldn't mind the gauntlets being Vergil only, they should give Dante something new.

Yeah I feel like Beowulf should have been Vergil's own weapon.

At that point Dante already have 4 different Devil Arms, he doesn't really need a 5th imo.

remove gauntlet weapons, bring back sword pierce and add beowulf/ifrit moveset onto the unarmed moveset you gain from using sword pierce

heck yeah

What I think is Gilgamesh should return as a starting weapon along side Rebellion, same way as how the shotgun is a starting weapon along side Ebony and Ivory.

With the "standards" out of the way they can focus on newer unique weapons, including a Nevan/Lucifer unconventional style weapon.... Which I would promptly not use because it's too difficult lol.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah I feel like Beowulf should have been Vergil's own weapon.

At that point Dante already have 4 different Devil Arms, he doesn't really need a 5th imo.ol.

Everything about Beowulf was strategically designed to hype you up in DMC3. Itsuno knew that gauntlet weapons were one of the most requested additions from the feedback he received from DMC2. The end of the Beowulf boss fight ended without you actually getting the weapon, which was a first in the game. Then you get the cutscene where Vergil finished off Beowulf effortlessly and obtains a Devil Arm (the first time you see another character assume a devil arm). And then Vergil utilizes Beowulf against you, showing you just how awesome it is.

then you finally have it for yourself. Beowulf eventually making its way to Dante was necessary, and it was definitely planned out as a pacing device.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There's never been a better time to jump in. TW101 and Bayonetta 2 + 1 can both be had at bargain prices, and they are brilliant. The Wii U is absolutely killing it with the Nintendo exclusives though. I mean, DK: Tropical Freeze, Smash 4, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon... you'd have to try really hard not to have fun with a library like that.

/shameless shill

I can't afford it right now so buying a Wii U won't be happening for a little while. I do think it would be a good companion console to my PS4. I used to be an unrepentant Nintendo fanboy that part of me can't resist owning one.

Man, all the Bayo 1/2 discussion makes me wish that the Wii U release had been both games integrated into one huge campaign (so by the end you'd have four health bars, five magic bars, the full weapon/accessory set from both games, et cetera, and hopefully a difficulty level ramping up accordingly).

The two of them are great companion pieces as far as plot is concerned and it would've been nice to see them turned into one massive game somehow.

Dugna

If DMC5 is coming I really hope they improve the platforming, because that's the only thing preventing me from finishing mission with the top score.

Dahbomb

I already knew that you would get to use the Beowulf in DMC3 because it was promoted in many of the trailers (he was doing Beowulf moves etc). But if I hadn't seen the trailers and I got to fight Beowulf, he escaped and then saw that Vergil took Beowulf's weapons I would've been MAD SALTY and then MAD HYPE when I take the Beowulfs for myself!

That shit was super well done. It basically established a lot of things about Vergil in those few scene.

Unit24

How do you unlock all of the character recolors? I finished the game with all of the characters, but I've only unlocked the new color schemes for Nero and Dante.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How do you unlock all of the character recolors? I finished the game with all of the characters, but I've only unlocked the new color schemes for Nero and Dante.

Kill 25 enemies in the final scene.

Also for Lady: A/S rank the final mission.

Trish: B rank or below the final mission.

Top Bottom