• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Mizerman

CIcWPc_UEAAi6q3.png

Snerk.

The only thing I want for Nero is for him to have a backward input in mid-air, a 360 input both on the groudn and in mid-air, and for Yamato to be a regular weapon with a Jetstream Sam-like scabbard that he can use Exceed with.

Sam. The hero that DMC needs.

That scabbard is just too cool.

Nori Chan

So I just bought this and this is my first time playing it. I have played 1, [REDACTED], and 3, but I never played them after the first run and didn't really know/get to know the combo system, mostly cause I rented them and just speed ran through them. But with this being the first DMC I own, I intend to get into it and learn and absolutely 100% it. Can anyone list me some suggestions, tips, or anything for basically a newbie to the series?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So I just bought this and this is my first time playing it. I have played 1, [REDACTED], and 3, but I never played them after the first run and didn't really know/get to know the combo system, mostly cause I rented them and just speed ran through them. But with this being the first DMC I own, I intend to get into it and learn and absolutely 100% it. Can anyone list me some suggestions, tips, or anything for basically a newbie to the series?

There is some discussion on this topic in the last page. For starters, check out the tutorials listed in the OP:

How do I "git gud" at this game? It's not clicking for me. Are there any tutorials?
ChaserTech has a great tutorial series to help new players understand the general approach to combat in DMC4.

Nero Combat Intro and Intermediate to Advanced Tutorial
Advanced Nero Combat video
Advanced Dante Combat Tutorial Part 1
Advanced Dante combat Tutorial Part 2

People are still discovering things with Dante and this game is 7 years old! The fact that these Dante tutorials are unfinished almost seems like a testament to the character. There's always more to uncover.

Also, feel free to ask more specific questions in this thread if you're having problems! There are plenty of players here well-versed in the combat mechanics of this game, or can at least provide you with resources.

The above is a really good primer for the vanilla characters.

During general play, you should know that universal dodging can be done with the regular jump. The regular jump has i-frames in the startup, so you can use this to avoid most attacks if timed properly. The roll has extended i-frames and more lateral movement, but has longer recovery.

If you're starting with Nero (which you should if this is your first time) my suggestion is to purchase any ground combos that look interesting to you (C is a good immediate choice), Speed, Streak, Split, Snatch 2, Roulette Spin, Charge Shot 2&3, Max-ACT, Exceed 2&3, Shuffle, and Calibur, probably around that order. I'd prioritize Enemy Step depending on how comfortable you are with the mechanic.

Play on Turbo (toggle available in options) and Devil Hunter difficulty to start out.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Took me forever but I finally got around beating this with Lady/Trish. Lady grew on me quickly, Trish never did. :/

Now to move on to Vergil on SOS mode or just Bloody Palace with Lady? Hmmm.

Nori Chan

There is some discussion on this topic in the last page. For starters, check out the tutorials listed in the OP:

The above is a really good primer for the vanilla characters.

During general play, you should know that universal dodging can be done with the regular jump. The regular jump has i-frames in the startup, so you can use this to avoid most attacks if timed properly. The roll has extended i-frames and more lateral movement, but has longer recovery.

If you're starting with Nero (which you should if this is your first time) my suggestion is to purchase any ground combos that look interesting to you (C is a good immediate choice), Speed, Streak, Split, Snatch 2, Roulette Spin, Charge Shot 2&3, Max-ACT, Exceed 2&3, Shuffle, and Calibur, probably around that order. I'd prioritize Enemy Step depending on how comfortable you are with the mechanic.

Play on Turbo (toggle available in options) and Devil Hunter difficulty to start out.

Thanks for the direction! Can't wait to play it...once it's done loading lol

Don't forget about GAF's True Style tournament, I need more Lady and Trish entries ... You have until this upcoming Tuesday night at midnight to submit entries for the Lady and Trish. If enough entries are NOT submitted for the Lady and Trish I'll consolidate the tournament into one category for all characters (so please submit something)...
top_neogaff.png

FULL DETAILS ABOUT TOURNAMENT
QUOTE TO REVEAL THE SUBMISSION LINK FOR VIDEOS, It's a google docs form

[Entry format]
  • 3 categories for each of the new characters: Vergil, Lady, Trish (can enter all categories, win only 1).
  • 30 seconds entry max
  • Son of Sparda Difficulty or above (No LDK).
  • No easy automatic mode.
  • No Super Costumes.
  • All levels of Bloody Palace can be used.
  • No Piecing together multiple segments(clean cut).
[Submitting Entries]
  • Lady and Trish entries due 7th of July 12:01 am, so a little more than one week.
  • Vergil Entries due 14th of July 12:01 am, a little over 2 weeks
  • Multiple entries can be submitted (if you plan this number them please), but you must clarify which entry is picked.
  • Entries will be youtube uploaded videos from any system, QUOTE TO REVEAL GOOGLE FORM SIGN UP
Tournament will be run by GAF user direct_quote.

I have with Vergil, here's the completion quote incase you were curious about that.

Do we have the completion quote for all the difficulties?

Human -
Devil Hunter - "I guess you aren't some casual gamer."
Son of Sparda -
Dante must Die - "That's some big demon balls." (Or something like that)
Heaven and Hell -

I have with Vergil, here's the completion quote incase you were curious about that.

thanks... was going to ask about the quote...

Human - "Prequel doesn't mean you can be a newbie."
Son of Sparda - "You know how to make me look good!"
LDK - "You're in a league of your own kid!"
Dante must Die - "You've got some big demon balls!"
Heaven and Hell - "Man, you need to get out more."
Hell and Hell - "Now that's what I call raising Hell!"

yeah someone should compile a list... also i think the quotes may change depending on the characters...

also "Thank you for playing! Until we meet again...?" seems to be a recurring quote

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How do you unlock Heaven and Hell? Beat Sons of Sparda, right? Hell and Hell is after Heaven and Hell, yeah?

Human -
Son of Sparda -
Dante must Die - "That's some big demon balls." (Or something like that)
Heaven and Hell -

Heaven or Hell is "Man, you need to get out more". I can't remember SOS or LDK right now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Son of Sparda unlocks DMD and Heaven or Hell, I believe. Beating DMD unlocks Hell and Hell.

Ugh, not looking forward to DMD and Hell and Hell unlocking in that case. I guess I'll do those after I'm done with Vanquish.

Made a quick list

"Thank you for playing! Until we meet again...?" is recurring

Made a quick list

"Thank you for playing! Until we meet again...?" is recurring

Yup, sounds just like crazy uncle Dante ^^

HOW DOES MISSION 19 EXIST?
Just use the dice trick and it's a boss rush level. It's basically equivalent to what DMC3 had for it's mission before the final boss (except you could choose the bosses you fought).. Also in DMC3 you had to fight Arkham (which is a terrible fight imo, other than the awesome ending to it of course).

What burns me more is the Savior fight before mission 19, so boring and automode why does it exist.. It's worse than all the bosses in DmC..

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

It's the boss rush level, a DMC staple. Unfortunately, it's not handled in the most elegant way. DMC3 really did it the best. Boss rushes are intended to allow you to return to bosses after you've accumulated both skills as a player and character to show you how much you've progressed, but with DMC4, you're going through some bosses three times, it's forcing you through that dice mini-game, and it's missing arguably the best boss.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My biggest issue with 19 was more that the toad and Echidna weren't stunnable as Nero. They take forvever when you can't grab them. Dante could do a good job of damaging them without it but it's rough as Nero.

Dahbomb

Press Buster with Nero when the dice number you want it to appear comes up.

And yea it's still ass.

My biggest issue with 19 was more that the toad and Echidna weren't stunnable as Nero. They take forvever when you can't grab them. Dante could do a good job of damaging them without it but it's rough as Nero.
They are still stunnable, their threshold is just increased because they know that you are more leveled up by now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

They are. You have to weaken them and look for the visual cues, just like in the original fights. With Dagon, you have to break the ice crystals on his head.

I like how you can easily chain regular sparda and bare knuckle attacks endlessly with Trish. It drops the style meter almost instantly though. Still entertaining for some reason.

SkylineRKR

19 wasn't that bad. Used the dice trick and the bosses didn't change. Managed to S rank that stage, and the final boss too (which is easier than the earlier version). Its been 7 years but I got the hang of it again, countered his thrusts right away. Yeah ok DH isn't quite difficult, but still.

Must say I didn't enjoy Dante's levels. The bosses were joke mode but I got lost a lot. Hate backtracking.

ShinMaruku

I take back 70% what I said about Nero. When I found out I can hold things and then do combos and end with a splash, I went nuts.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
They are still stunnable, their threshold is just increased because they know that you are more leveled up by now.

They are. You have to weaken them and look for the visual cues, just like in the original fights. With Dagon, you have to break the ice crystals on his head.

I guess I just totally missed it. I could figure out the dice just fine but I never saw those guys go down. Turned those fights into attrition.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm having some trouble doing the max damage version of Lady's ground zero on PS4 with turbo on, Keirnoth uses it alot in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21hyb-SZPpA

Gotta mash like crazy when playing in turbo to get it consistently.

It's currently a bitch to perform on PS4 Turbo, but it does a TON of damage, and it seems to be an area of effect. There's extra hitstop and a corona effect:

mPQJ4q.gif

yg1MnW.gif

Adding another layer to Lady at least.

Uraizen

Banned
It's currently a bitch to perform on PS4 Turbo, but it does a TON of damage, and it seems to be an area of effect. There's extra hitstop and a corona effect:

Adding another layer to Lady at least.

Lady has some just-frame moves, too? Damn, I thought Lady and Trish were just meant to be straightforward characters.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Lady has some just-frame moves, too? Damn, I thought Lady and Trish were just meant to be straightforward characters.

It's actually a mash input during Gunstinger, but it's pretty strict to get max damage on Turbo.

Lady and Trish are definitely more limited straightforward characters, but things like max damage ground zeroes are just something fun for advanced players to explore and toy around with. Maybe (hopefully) there's more.

Seyavesh

some guy was randomly skipping parts of trish's sparda combo 2 and getting 1,2->stinger and i guess that miiight be a thing?

i dunno if it's particularly interesting though and i haven't been able to do it myself and it's not like her stinger is cancelable anyways

Unit24

If DMC5 happens, I hope its bloody palace is more like the Witch Trials from Bayonetta 2, where it's split into five different missions instead of just one long mission with no checkpoints that's designed for obsessive psychos.

Top Bottom