• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Finally got my Lady combo down and recorded for the True Style Tournament. Just need to do some cut it and upload it. Hopefully we get enough for Lady. I'm not too good with Trish, but gonna enter one for her anyways.

Afrocious

On other news, I finally beat Legendary Dark Knight lol.

Yeah, that wasn't as fun as I thought it would be, but I did some cool stuff.

Gonna practice more with Vergil to enter the tournament.

Afrocious

Can anyone post any useful tutorials for vergil combat beginners? i wanna learn how to use him properly but im kinda new :)

What do you want to know?

I use Yamato as my bread and butter, Beowulf to kill nasty enemies like Blitz, and Force Edge for combo mixups on the ground.

BlackEyes

What do you want to know?

I use Yamato as my bread and butter, Beowulf to kill nasty enemies like Blitz, and Force Edge for combo mixups on the ground.

how to mix up these awesome combos im seeing in these videos , just amazing O_O, and what would u prefer to play with? turbo mode and that infinite demon mode or just a normal one

Gusto

Just got my physical copy from Play-Asia and it won't play on my PS4. I have several PS4'S and it won't play on any of them, anybody know why?

Afrocious

how to mix up these awesome combos im seeing in these videos , just amazing O_O, and what would u prefer to play with? turbo mode and that infinite demon mode or just a normal one

I'm still learning how to get good enough to make videos, so take my advice knowing htat.

You can cancel attacks by doing Air Tricks. This basically makes a combo an infinite. Practice with Yamato aerial attacks and cancel into the same combo over and over. You can juggle nearly every enemy in the game to death this way.

Also, I play on Turbo Mode and that's about it. I might try out other modes though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just got my physical copy from Play-Asia and it won't play on my PS4. I have several PS4'S and it won't play on any of them, anybody know why?

Could you elaborate? What type of PS4s do you have? Which physical copy from Play-Asia did you buy, Asian or Japanese? Have you replaced the harddrives in any PS4s?

Finally got my Lady combo down and recorded for the True Style Tournament. Just need to do some cut it and upload it. Hopefully we get enough for Lady. I'm not too good with Trish, but gonna enter one for her anyways.
Yes please people submit videos for the true style tournament... It's only 30 second videos...

Any tips on where to do combos? I just beat LDK lol and I'd rather not run through all those enemies again lol.
Bloody palace like others said, and there's specific missions people cite, I think mission 10 for Nero's levels and mission 12 for Dante's levels. I can't check right now but whatever level has the circular room with the big scarecrows you see in most combo videos..

Play normal difficulty and non turbo to get used to the timing and feel.

What I do is try to prepare a weapon switch in the middle of a "long" combo. Attacks like his Yamato combo C and the rapid slashing of force edge, the attack animation goes on for a while even if you switch weapon in mid barrage.

Bloody palace like others said, and there's specific missions people cite, I think mission 10 for Nero's levels and mission 12 for Dante's levels. I can't check right now but whatever level has the circular room with the big scarecrows you see in most combo videos..
Yeah, that's the spot. For me I ended up just recording everything I did during my SoS playthroughs and picked which ones ended up being good, as I found trying to plan out a combo beforehand went worse than it did just playing normally.

Afrocious

Yeah, that's the spot. For me I ended up just recording everything I did during my SoS playthroughs and picked which ones ended up being good, as I found trying to plan out a combo beforehand went worse than it did just playing normally.

My man!

Thanks folks! I'll work on combos throughout the week :) I gotta reach that area on SoS mode. After beating LDK, SoS can't be THAT bad, right?

Gusto

Could you elaborate? What type of PS4s do you have? Which physical copy from Play-Asia did you buy, Asian or Japanese? Have you replaced the harddrives in any PS4s?

All PS4'S are from the states and I purchased the Asian copy that states playable on all PS4's. I did place a 2tb hd in 1 ps4. I tried checking online and it seems that nobody has this issue.

All PS4'S are from the states and I purchased the Asian copy that states playable on all PS4's. I did place a 2tb hd in 1 ps4. I tried checking online and it seems that nobody has this issue.

The only other possibility I can surmise is that you got unlucky and got a bad disc.

sjay1994

As a beginner to the series, could someone give me some tips?

I have had no problems with Bayo, MGR, and other platinum games I have played. But I feel like I am really struggling playing this.

Basically, how do I combo?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I have had no problems with Bayo, MGR, and other platinum games I have played. But I feel like I am really struggling playing this.

From the OP:

How do I "git gud" at this game? It's not clicking for me. Are there any tutorials?
ChaserTech has a great tutorial series to help new players understand the general approach to combat in DMC4.

Nero Combat Intro and Intermediate to Advanced Tutorial
Advanced Nero Combat video
Advanced Dante Combat Tutorial Part 1
Advanced Dante combat Tutorial Part 2

People are still discovering things with Dante and this game is 7 years old! The fact that these Dante tutorials are unfinished almost seems like a testament to the character. There's always more to uncover.

Also, feel free to ask more specific questions in this thread if you're having problems! There are plenty of players here well-versed in the combat mechanics of this game, or can at least provide you with resources.

The above is a really good primer for the vanilla characters. Basically, you need to get used to how movement works, and when to lock-on. What character are you using? And what exactly are you struggling with?

With the exception of maybe Vergil, DMC is just a harder game to look cool in. It has stricter inputs and movements than Platinum's games for the most part.

What is it telling you when you put the disc in? I don't think anyone else has had this problem. I don't want to assume you have a bad disc, but considering the region free nature of PS4 games, I'm not sure what else it could be.

finally got around to booting this up. Its weird coming back to this after playing DmC, bayonetta, and MGR which let you combo with absolute ease. Started straight into Lady/Trish campaign and kinda have some comboing for lady figured out, but havent gotten my fingers to agree with my mind yet. Otherwise, her charge shot is fucking broken

When I got my PS4 copy from Play-Asia it wouldn't play either. I put the disc in acted like there wasn't anything there. I restarted the system and it was fine, though; I think it was just that I hadn't turned the thing off in months (always use Rest Mode).

Dahbomb

That's because those games have combo strings that you can.perform to do combos (especially Bayonetta where you can Dial in weaks/heavies for combos).

In DMC games everything is free form (true free form combat, not the bull shit that the Batman or the PoP games preach). You have moves and I have to string them together however way you want to.

The basic gist for combos in DMC is that you start with a ground series go into a rising launcher, do a few hits in the air, bring the dowm with a move that puts both you and the opponet down (like the Helm Breaker), follow up the knock back of the enemy by either Stingering in, Teleporting in or Snatching the back and then you start a new combo.

Mix in weapon swaps where you extend ground and air strings then it will start to click. Maximize all of your moves in combos for maximim style again.

ShinMaruku

I just am getting down my jump cancling but it's still no teleport cancel with Vergil. I just love switching weapons with Vergil and using Parries.

Now my main issue is how can I buster attacks to just style on them with Nero.

Son Of D

So with the "Get S Rank on all missions" trophies do they need to be with the same character? For example, all S ranks on SoS with Vergil or could I get 12 S ranks with Vergil and the rest with Dante/Nero?

Gusto

When I got my PS4 copy from Play-Asia it wouldn't play either. I put the disc in acted like there wasn't anything there. I restarted the system and it was fine, though; I think it was just that I hadn't turned the thing off in months (always use Rest Mode).

Weird, after I shut down the PS4's completely they all crashed did a system check and now it sees the disc. Thanks fam!

Sesha

I dunno if anyone has posted this, but you can charge Judgement Cut while performing Force Edge Combo II, and when you release it automatically switches to Yamato.

This game I swear. Itsuno and team never stops surprising me. They are mad geniuses, the lot of them.

Rektash

dsc_0032knqok.jpg

Well, looks like I won't be playing this game this weekend. Certainly the last time I will buy a digital game from PSN. For reference I have a 200mbit/s connection. Steam downloads at 20+ mb/s usually.

SkylineRKR

Well, looks like I won't be playing this game this weekend. Certainly the last time I will buy a digital game from PSN. For reference I have a 200mbit/s connection. Steam downloads at 20+ mb/s usually.

Babysit it. Pause and unpause until you get something that doesn't go past the hour mark. Its the only way.

Afrocious

Ghazi

Haha, I did the same thing here with Vergil.

https://www.facebook.com/jarett.roman/videos/10152837682557680/?pnref=story

Also here you go. Me walking into Agnus Angelo and going in for the lulz. Another Vergil vid.

https://www.facebook.com/jarett.roman/videos/10152839827407680/?pnref=story

Yes my name is Jarett Roman. Nice to meet you!

Also, how do I make a .gifv file?

Haha, that's hilarious! imgur will autoconvert a gif to gifv for you if it's larger than 10mb. You can't embed gifv, though, unfortunately.

Here's Dante as a sword stuffed turkey, when I was done with him, you'll have to excuse the green screen messing up in the gif:
uMqfP3d.gif

LOL

Sesha

Absolute kings of the genre.

I can't get over the fact that Vergil has three separate just frame mechanics. So good. Dante needs to bring it with just frame Drive and Ricoshot in DMC5, along with lots more.

Awesome, I made my first .gifv!

http://i.imgur.com/seIvfzL.gifv

Games like God of War and the Naruto Storm series, even Bayonetta, with their QTE nonsense should just go to bed and never come out again.

Finally got the only rank that matters today:

H0PtVLp.jpg

I usually aim for SAD whenever I play a mission I really dislike.

Top Bottom