• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

I don't think Nero is really imcomplete, its just that compared to Dante he has very little. But pretty much every character in an action game has very little compared to DMC4 Dante.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
On my first boss with Dante, does he have something like the Bringer that can do huge amounts of damage at once when a boss is open?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
how do i unlock it?

I don't know when it unlocked for me. Maybe around when I cleared the regular campaign with Nero and Dante.

On my first boss with Dante, does he have something like the Bringer that can do huge amounts of damage at once when a boss is open?

No, Dante has no QTE type attacks or animations. Dante's most damaging move (not including distortion) is Real Impact in Swordmaster with Gilgamesh, so it's a good option when the boss is stunned. There's also forward+triangle with Lucifer in DT repeatedly. Otherwise, you just need to wail on them since you don't have either of those weapons yet.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No, Dante has no QTE type attacks or animations. Dante's most damaging move (not including distortion) is Real Impact in Swordmaster with Gilgamesh, so it's a good option when the boss is stunned. There's also forward+triangle with Lucifer in DT repeatedly. Otherwise, you just need to wail on them since you don't have either of those weapons yet.
That's what I thought. Is there any way to keep Dante in the air? He always seems to just Helm Break out of it immediately.

Don't forget about GAF's True Style tournament. You have less than one week to submit entries for the Lady and Trish. If enough entries are NOT submitted for the Lady and Trish I'll consolidate the tournament into one category for all characters (so please submit something)...
top_neogaff.png

FULL DETAILS ABOUT TOURNAMENT
QUOTE TO REVEAL THE SUBMISSION LINK FOR VIDEOS, It's a google docs form

[Entry format]
  • 3 categories for each of the new characters: Vergil, Lady, Trish (can enter all categories, win only 1).
  • 30 seconds entry max
  • Son of Sparda Difficulty or above (No LDK).
  • No easy automatic mode.
  • No Super Costumes.
  • All levels of Bloody Palace can be used.
  • No Piecing together multiple segments(clean cut).
[Submitting Entries]
  • Lady and Trish entries due 7th of July 12:01 am, so a little more than one week.
  • Vergil Entries due 14th of July 12:01 am, a little over 2 weeks
  • Multiple entries can be submitted (if you plan this number them please), but you must clarify which entry is picked.
  • Entries will be youtube uploaded videos from any system, QUOTE TO REVEAL GOOGLE FORM SIGN UP
Tournament will be run by GAF user direct_quote.

Seyavesh

i genuinely did not know dante didn't get dark slayer until the end so man
running through his campaign just was not as fun without the ability to do mashy scrub air combos

also if you want to keep dante in the air when he's fresh switch to swordmaster and do the style button in the air (for air rave, dante's air combo chain w/ rebellion) alongside jump canceling on the enemy w/ enemy step

don't forget to switch to trickster too if you need to cover distance asap

Nah, Nero is just fine for beginners like me- Back then I could not cope without relying on his Devil Bringer to get me out of tough situations. heck there are still stuff I didn't know you can do with Buster and Exceed.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't mind more stuff being added to him in DMC5 =3

That's what I thought. Is there any way to keep Dante in the air? He always seems to just Helm Break out of it immediately.

Swordmaster Rebellion air attacks keeps you in the air.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Besides extremely advanced flying techniques, the way to keep Dante in the air at your stage of the game is to utilize his Trickster teleport + Air Hike + Trickster Sky Star + Swordmaster Aerial Rave + Enemy Step + E&I shots. Enemy Step resets the air moves that Dante can perform.

He's definitely harder to keep in the air than Nero.

I don't think Nero is really imcomplete, its just that compared to Dante he has very little. But pretty much every character in an action game has very little compared to DMC4 Dante.

i started and finished my Nero/Dante run today
NERO SUCKS moveset wise compared to literally everyone else
if there is a DMC5 he needs a moveset overhaul asap
for one he has HORRIBLE crowd control compared to his father

Well, considering Vergil was a late edition seven years after the fact and LDK was a novelty difficulty that never appeared on consoles., no fucking shit his crowd control is lacking.

Everything else, couldn't be more wrong about. His base moveset is perfectly solid as is, it just needs an expansion, not an overhaul.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Nero isn't incomplete, per se. He was designed in such a way as to extract as much utility out of each move/weapon he has as possible. This is why Devil Bringer acts as a throw, guard break, QTE, counter, and traversal. This philosophy also extends to the Red Queen, and his Devil Trigger activation. Multiple functions per button press depending on context or modifier (charge or Exceed). What they managed to package into Nero despite giving him limited armaments is actually impressive. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing him with at least one more set of weapons for variety.

No.

Sword swing max act into exceed level 3 streak whilst charging level 3 shot.

Nero is a fucking beast.

Like, the only way you could say Nero is incomplete is in terms of what they could've possibly added to him when the whole game was gonna be focused on him, before shoehorning Dante into the second half of the campaign. Otherwise, what's there already is more than enough.

ShinMaruku

Ryu Hayabusa comes really close. You need to know his moves though and know when to wind patch and weapon switch though.

I'd give Nero much better crowd control than Nero, but on Boss fights and where he's focused on a single enemy only Vergil is in his league.

I am kinda warming up to Nero but I have to really grind out some hours to feel like I have control of my character. Right now I don't have control.

Give me some pointer how to better style on Old bastard here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoQGcafywZ4

alright now I see why I am having a hard time doing heavy rain sword....

I mapped my summon swords to L2 and when i switched to square, it instantly came out..

Dinjoralo

I had a cool idea about Nero a while ago. What if he could choose to hold his sword/gun with the Devil Bringer, and that would demonify them and give him different moves?
That, or let Dante give him a few hand-me-down weapons that he doesn't want anymore, which he could then replace with new ones in his campaign.

I had a cool idea about Nero a while ago. What if he could choose to hold his sword/gun with the Devil Bringer, and that would demonify them and give him different moves?
That, or let Dante give him a few hand-me-down weapons that he doesn't want anymore, which he could then replace with new ones in his campaign.

My idea for Nero is that his two other weapons are a modified [Rocket Lance] like the Angelos similar to how the Red Queen was a modified Rev Sword, and a [Guitar-like] weapon (since he can air guitar already lol) .

The only Devil Arm he use is Yamato, and that's map to the O button, and by using the modifier system that Dahbomb suggested, you can switch between Buster and Yamato by holding down the trigger.

Alternatively, he could keep Red Queen and Blue Rose and have different Devil Arms mapped to his Devil Bringer like you said.

My idea for Nero is that his two other weapons are a modified [Rocket Lance] like the Angelos similar to how the Red Queen was a modified Rev Sword, and a [Guitar-like] weapon (since he can air guitar already lol) .

The only Devil Arm he use is Yamato, and that's map to the O button, and by using the modifier system that Dahbomb suggested, you can switch between Buster and Yamato by holding down the trigger.

Alternatively, he could keep Red Queen and Blue Rose and have different Devil Arms mapped to his Devil Bringer like you said.

give him his own custom Dark Slayer style too since hes Vergils son
none of this only in DT bullshit
i want a proper fucking Demon mode DT for DMC5

Golnei

Looking at how Lady's charge system varies between guns, it'd be interesting to see how the implementation of Exceed would be altered for Nero's alternate weapons. Although I'm not sure if the Devil Bringer should be toggled; considering how central it is to Nero's design - maybe its central function would still be similar regardless, but absorbing different Devil Arms would give you different directional and multi-button inputs when used?

give him his own custom Dark Slayer style too since hes Vergils son
none of this only in DT bullshit
i want a proper fucking Demon mode DT for DMC5

Nero's stand helps differentiate him from the rest of the cast; so I'd rather they kept that even if they give him a more complete DT in the next game. If he can equip secondary Devil Arms, maybe his physical appearance would be a personalised DT altered slightly for the weapon in use (as with DMC1/3) while his stand is depicted as the original demon who the secondary Devil Arm was created with?

Mizerman

Is it sad that I just realized not to long ago that Nero could have his own souped up version of the lance carried by the Bianco Angelos? Like how Red Queen is his customized version of the swords used by the Order...

But yeah, I think any future weapons from Nero should be mechanical by nature.

I was torn between full devil trigger and Jojo devil trigger, but in the end I think the more we separate him from Dante and Vergil the better.

MegaPanda

I wouldn't mind seeing Nero's R2 become a trigger like the angel/demon modes in DmC.
Triangle attacks could be Red Queen, R2 + Triangle could be Yamato. Maybe even make the Devil Bringer do different things depending on if R2 is held or not. Could turn Nero into a pretty fun character where you're alternating between L2 for Exceed revs and R2 for Yamato attacks.

I don't think he needs to have full weapon switching included. They have 5 characters now, might as well try to make one as unique as possible.

Seyavesh

so, trish's DT that adds an electric effect to her melee moves?

turns out that effect is a projectile, meaning that it can shred the phantoms and big phantom guys in cloaks- just turning it on and flying around with spinning bird kick makes insane short work of the bloody palace rooms that are packed with 'em

....but it still doesn't work on blitz
sigh

my fingers are starting to get tired from how much i have to hammer the pistol button

actually hm
i just had an idea time to check

edit:
ffff nope
was hoping that v-boomerang would gain the effect and instant get rid of the blitz shield but no dice

BadWolf

Came across this regarding Trish and her kiss taunt:

sailormoonfetis
I just tested it today. It's 1 hit kill on scarecrows only. I tried it with Blitz, his shield was removed lol. Then I tried it with Agnus, nothing happened. Tested on DMD mode.

gunbo13

Played with Vergil this morning for a bit. I'll likely show off tech this coming week. Unsure if I'll grab the PS4 version to simplify and maybe stream if I'm up to it.

Have no interest in Trish or Lady though. Just Vergil BP basically.

Sesha

The only thing I want for Nero is for him to have a backward input in mid-air, a 360 input both on the groudn and in mid-air, and for Yamato to be a regular weapon with a Jetstream Sam-like scabbard that he can use Exceed with.

Yup Nero just feels incomplete. If he had more weapons and the Buster it would be ok.

I respectfully disagree. Dude has a bunch of stuff, just not as much as the other characters.

Also the stuff he has integrates really fucking well so far.

Nero isn't incomplete, per se. He was designed in such a way as to extract as much utility out of each move/weapon he has as possible. This is why Devil Bringer acts as a throw, guard break, QTE, counter, and traversal. This philosophy also extends to the Red Queen, and his Devil Trigger activation. Multiple functions per button press depending on context or modifier (charge or Exceed). What they managed to package into Nero despite giving him limited armaments is actually impressive. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing him with at least one more set of weapons for variety.

+1

ShinMaruku

All I'd like is a bit more weapons to fill him out. He's very much a character with lots of utitlity. He does have some of the best boss finishers in a game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
All I'd like is a bit more weapons to fill him out. He's very much a character with lots of utitlity. He does have some of the best boss finishers in a game.
Yeah, Nero's a fun character but he just needs some more variety. It's too easy to fall into repetition of the same couple moves into Devil Bringer with him because it's so effective.

Sesha

I hope they reuse most of his Buster animations for DMC5. Making 20+ animations as long and elaborate as his Buster animations are probably costs a lot and takes a long while to animate.

Mizerman

The only thing I want for Nero is for him to have a backward input in mid-air, a 360 input both on the groudn and in mid-air, and for Yamato to be a regular weapon with a Jetstream Sam-like scabbard that he can use Exceed with.

Don't play with my emotions like that. Now that look won't leave my mind.

Not that it's a bad thing, mind you...

Anybody managed to incorporate Nero's Rainbow into a combo? Had speed activation been kept at 2 steps when in combat it would be far easier.

Top Bottom