• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Man everyone talking about combos and advanced stuff while I'm playing on human and breezing through bosses using Holy Water. :p

I wish I had the time to invest in playing the game like I did when I was younger ;_;

Fun story in Fortuna, let Bael eat me, paused the game and activated a holy water, ate though 70% of his HP bar. Guess the game won't take too long to beat :p

Man, that just makes me wish even more that Crazy Combos were back.

Crazy combos are great, but a real pain on the wrists after awhile. Ultimate Tempest practice has given me more than a few hand cramps over the past couple of years.

But yeah this is the closest we're gonna get to them in 4SE. And I recommend turning off turbo for a minute just to try out and see how much easier Lady's max damage Ground Zero is without it. Like 3 you just get more time to buffer in the inputs. The amount of mashing needed for it currently on PS4 turbo feels absurd to me.

Golnei

If DMC5 happens, I hope its bloody palace is more like the Witch Trials from Bayonetta 2, where it's split into five different missions instead of just one long mission with no checkpoints that's designed for obsessive psychos.

I'd prefer something like DMC3 which allowed for you to have a greater degree of control over your progress; skipping ahead by a variable number of floors. Though a Witch Trials-esque mode would be a worthwhile separate addition; alongside an adaptation of Tag Climax.

He also had taunt mechanics.

He's basically a DMC character as is.

I hope someone will get around to converting the model import for SE soon - he'd be perfect on Vergil.
devilmaycry4_dx102015z8lee.png

Just use the dice trick and it's a boss rush level. It's basically equivalent to what DMC3 had for it's mission before the final boss (except you could choose the bosses you fought).. Also in DMC3 you had to fight Arkham (which is a terrible fight imo, other than the awesome ending to it of course).

What burns me more is the Savior fight before mission 19, so boring and automode why does it exist.. It's worse than all the bosses in DmC..

It's remarkable just how weak DMC4's climax was in comparison to its predecessor, despite working off the same formula - the Saviour manages to take the reviled Arkham battle and create something even more mind-numbingly tedious; followed by a linear boss gauntlet locked behind the most hated mechanic in the game; (and which is missing two of the game's best bosses) compounded by ending with a final boss which appears to be the definition of repetitive mediocrity when put up against Vergil 3. Even the music doesn't hold up - though they definitely try to go for the same tone; the Saviour Internal ambience and Sanctus' second theme can't hope to compare to the Demon World and Vergil 3 themes. Dante's weak campaign made sense in light of DMC4's development issues, but I'm not sure if the climax could have been improved without just cutting the Saviour entirely and completely changing the boss rush - hopefully no similar boss is even attempted with 5; and they return to the non-linear style of boss rush.

7 years later and I still haven't gotten the timing of Nero's Exceed, the first swing seems doable enough but only 70% reliable but the ones in a combo are impossible to get the timing. I probably should just focus on getting the feel of him again.

Also, going back to Nero made me realize how obscene Vergil's teleports were- I could have sworn Devil Bringer's grab range was longer in my head lol.

Man everyone talking about combos and advanced stuff while I'm playing on human and breezing through bosses using Holy Water. :p

I wish I had the time to invest in playing the game like I did when I was younger ;_;

Fun story in Fortuna, let Bael eat me, paused the game and activated a holy water, ate though 70% of his HP bar. Guess the game won't take too long to beat :p

Judges you

Nah, but its totally cool though. Whatever makes the game more enjoyable for you :)

Managed to slog my way though DMD(painfully) so I can use Super Dante/ Nero. Yeah Super Nero is arse. Constant Max-Act is beyond annoying.

Practing grabbng spears from Credo:
www.twitch.tv/shinmaruku

Give me some pointers gaf.
Credos spears are pretty terrible weapons. There are plenty of ways around them or to style with 'em.
Firstly Neros active frames on his grab is a lot later than it looks. Basically you want to grab the spear a little but earlier than you think you would. Not entirely sure why but you can actually grab the spear with Neros back to the spear. I would think it's because of the hurt box being small and Neros grab being large but it works.
Also table hop for lulz

Boss trolling is something that I frequently do. It comes down to a few different factors.
The first I'd say is understanding your character movement. Basically that means knowing how they move and their animations.
The second is knowing the boss movement and attacks. For example Credo has 2 similar attack strings but one ends in him jumping up and ping his downward air slice. This also falls under his attack counters such as grabbing a spear it countering him with Neros own sword.
Lastly is confidence. This is with all these types of games like Bayonetta, MGR:R, Ninja Gaiden etc, you get pretty confident at fighting bosses to the point that you can destroy them with ease/ without thinking. In my video link it's on Hell on Hell which means you have to fight properly as it's 1 hit K.O for you but enemies and bosses have full life bars. Having fun/ taking the piss/boss trolling is what this all falls under.

Sof if I mash when I have my devil bringer out on a boss more blades and pincusion them? Really nice touch.
How is theis Credo fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rhdOtgSLUM

Getting there :)
Keep in mind though, that using a constant fully charged Red Queen changes how the fight would normally go. If you use a normal Streak on Credos shield he'll block/counter. But with you are charged with Red Queen, you'll break it. Having it constantly revved doesn't help with learning boss fights. Especially if you start to rely on it too much. It's worth learning how to Ex/Max-Act.
HOW DOES MISSION 19 EXIST?
Dice numbers in order are:
1-4-2-6-5-3 (loop back)
As Nero you want to count the number of space to go to the next level. You want to land on the exit spot (purple) or shortcut spot (yellow). The trick to the die is to hit the due when that number is face up on the die.
So if you want to move the Nero 'Amiibo' 4 spaces forward, count the numbers using the list order above and count:
3-1-4
Once you know 4 is coming you can hit the die with the DB and guarantee to never fight a single enemy except for the mandatory bosses.
RNGAbuse :)

Seyavesh

the timing on chain judgement cuts is so weird

you have to hit that shit so early wtfff

i don't even understand if there's an animation cue or not

I-hate-u

Do I have to beat Vergil' dmd campaign to unlock his super version, or does he unlock with Dante and Nero in the regular dmd?

Also, how do I unlock the color swaps?

Do I have to beat Vergil' dmd campaign to unlock his super version, or does he unlock with Dante and Nero in the regular dmd?

Also, how do I unlock the color swaps?

Have to beat that characters campaign on DMD to get their Super version.
EX colours are unlocked if you kill 20 enemies in the credits with any of them touching Kyrie. (easy on HaH)

ShinMaruku

Managed to slog my way though DMD(painfully) so I can use Super Dante/ Nero. Yeah Super Nero is arse. Constant Max-Act is beyond annoying.

Credos spears are pretty terrible weapons. There are plenty of ways around them or to style with 'em.
Firstly Neros active frames on his grab is a lot later than it looks. Basically you want to grab the spear a little but earlier than you think you would. Not entirely sure why but you can actually grab the spear with Neros back to the spear. I would think it's because of the hurt box being small and Neros grab being large but it works.
Also table hop for lulz

Boss trolling is something that I frequently do. It comes down to a few different factors.
The first I'd say is understanding your character movement. Basically that means knowing how they move and their animations.
The second is knowing the boss movement and attacks. For example Credo has 2 similar attack strings but one ends in him jumping up and ping his downward air slice. This also falls under his attack counters such as grabbing a spear it countering him with Neros own sword.
Lastly is confidence. This is with all these types of games like Bayonetta, MGR:R, Ninja Gaiden etc, you get pretty confident at fighting bosses to the point that you can destroy them with ease/ without thinking. In my video link it's on Hell on Hell which means you have to fight properly as it's 1 hit K.O for you but enemies and bosses have full life bars. Having fun/ taking the piss/boss trolling is what this all falls under.

Getting there :)
Keep in mind though, that using a constant fully charged Red Queen changes how the fight would normally go. If you use a normal Streak on Credos shield he'll block/counter. But with you are charged with Red Queen, you'll break it. Having it constantly revved doesn't help with learning boss fights. Especially if you start to rely on it too much. It's worth learning how to Ex/Max-Act.
Thanks for those pointers. :)

Finally got through Batman and started this. Decided to start with Nero/Dante's campaign, and I'm absolutely loving this game with turbo mode on. It feels so fast; it took a while to get used to, but I can't see myself ever going back. It's also so weird to start the game with no moves when I'm used to having everything. I keep trying to do moves that don't have yet, haha.

gunbo13

Crazy combos are great, but a real pain on the wrists after awhile.
Heavy DMC buffering causes terrible wrist pain after a few hours. Always have to take breaks after awhile.
I'll use this a tad. Looks silly when abused though.

What do we have UT wise for Vergil combos? I'd like to steal study some tech. Wish Lady and Trish were deeper. Can't bring myself to care about them. I'm down with Vergil swag though.

Unit24

Have to beat that characters campaign on DMD to get their Super version.
EX colours are unlocked if you kill 20 enemies in the credits with any of them touching Kyrie. (easy on HaH)

But how do you get Lady's color swap? During the credits scene, I was automatically switched to Trish.

Uraizen

Banned
It's actually a mash input during Gunstinger, but it's pretty strict to get max damage on Turbo.

Lady and Trish are definitely more limited straightforward characters, but things like max damage ground zeroes are just something fun for advanced players to explore and toy around with. Maybe (hopefully) there's more.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I can do the normal version easily, but that huge explosion? Nuh uh.

Heavy DMC buffering causes terrible wrist pain after a few hours. Always have to take breaks after awhile.

Try a different layout. I had this issue when I first started. Also, you do get used to it, especially if you're playing with Nero and constantly holding down shoot.

Thanks for those pointers. :)
No problem. I'm actually doing a 5 hour session of Credo tonight(now) just to brush up on him. Drop on by for combos and boss trolling. Am always willing to help out :)
twitch.tv/bumblebeecody

gunbo13

Try a different layout. I had this issue when I first started. Also, you do get used to it, especially if you're playing with Nero and constantly holding down shoot.
I'm mostly referencing DMC3 gunslinger and I have way too many layouts. Not much you can do without clawing and getting wrist pain. I don't have as much an issue with DMC4.
Lady is so boring. Trish is not much better. Oh well, can't be greedy.

His Dante has looked way better in other videos.

Lady is so boring. Trish is not much better. Oh well, can't be greedy.

His Dante has looked way better in other videos.

I don't find Lady boring to play but she's SERIOUSLY boring to watch. Still wish she were much more mobile and Trish had a lot more in the way of traps in order to explore their paradigms a bit more thoroughly. (Trish isn't even that exciting to play.)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sof if I mash when I have my devil bringer out on a boss more blades and pincusion them? Really nice touch.
How is theis Credo fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rhdOtgSLUM

It's not just bosses. In DT, you can continue to mash summon swords during buster animations. And depending on the enemy, you can mash circle during buster for more hits or ground pounds.

During certain animations, like Echidna's, you can even rev the Red Queen during the buster animation.

It is sad how DMC4 actually has the worst final boss in the series.

DMC1 has Mundus, an impressive final boss for its time with 3 forms that you fought in completely different ways, with a scale that was rather cool for the time, flying around in space fighting in mid air, then fighting in a lava pit in hell, then finally finishing the weakened Mundus in the basement of the castle with the signature JACKPOT. The music was also great here.

For all of DMC2's flaws, the last battle is actually rather good, and probably the only legit good boss fight that gives a challenge. Not Argosax the Chaos, that blob sucks ass. The Despair Embodied on the other hand, is actually an aggressive and relentless foe, of which there are few in DMC2. I think this boss would hold up in DMC1, 3 or 4 even. For all your failures (Even though I have a fondness for DMC2) you managed to at least get the last boss right! You even manage to kill off the boss in a Jackpotless Jackpot moment...which I think works great for DMC2 dante...but maybe if he had just said Jackpot calmly and sort of silently, it would have been cool too.

DMC3. Do I even need to talk about Vergil here? Just a legendary one on one even showdown between brothers, just...everything about this boss fight is absolutely perfect...so so so good.

Even DmC's Vergil manages to pull a good boss fight out at the last second, there are problems with this version of Vergil both as a character and mechanically, but for the most part, a solid boss fight and the best one in DmC by far.

In DMC4 you fight...Granpa Sanctus. an old man glowing pope. What is this, Assassin's Creed 2? (but it was actually kind of badass there.) SURE, he has the Sparda sword, thats neat, but he does jack shit with it, he spins it around and...woo. at least the JACKPOT was satisfying as FUCK. Doesn't change the fact that you are basically beating up an weak old man with your demon fists that couldn't stand a chance when in every other game you are fighting godly/demonic being or your equal in every way.

Sesha

DMC4 doesn't just have the worst final boss of the series, but the worst pair of final bosses as well. While DmC Mundus, Arkham and Argosax are horrible fights on their on, they are at least followed by one of best (or best in 2 and 3s case) fights in their respective games. Having the Savior followed by Sanctus end the game is just, the worst. And then there's the dice game boss rush in between. Just bad moves all around.

DMC4 doesn't just have the worst final boss of the series, but the worst pair of final bosses as well. While DmC Mundus, Arkham and Argosax are horrible fights on their on, they are at least followed by one of best (or best in 2 and 3s case) fights in their respective games. Having the Savior followed by Sanctus end the game is just, the worst. And then there's the dice game boss rush in between. Just bad moves all around.

AND ANGELO CREDO AND DANTE AREN'T EVEN IN THE DICE GAMEJSOIJHRTSOITHJSOI

btw Dante has zero way to fight Angelo Credo easily, so Trish has zero way as well. WHY IS THERE NO BOSS RUSH OR BOSS SELECT PLS

Still, DMC4SE is so good.

I still was hoping throughout DMC4's campaign that the Order of the Sword was just a puppet cult for Mundus or some powerful demon (from which it is revealed and you fight in the end or halfway through). But yah... Just retreading Arkham's lust for Sparda's power, blah blah blah.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
AND ANGELO CREDO AND DANTE AREN'T EVEN IN THE DICE GAMEJSOIJHRTSOITHJSOI

btw Dante has zero way to fight Angelo Credo easily, so Trish has zero way as well. WHY IS THERE NO BOSS RUSH OR BOSS SELECT PLS

Still, DMC4SE is so good.
This is also why I was frustrated with Chapter 19. You can't fight the good bosses.

^I still find Berial (Is this supposed to be Belial btw? ) and Echidna to be pretty enjoyable bosses but not amazing.

Also I wonder what they would have done in the original game with Trish and Gloria being separate characters. We probably got cheated out of Gloria or Angelo Gloria boss fights. Maybe Dante fights Angelo Gloria and Nero fights Trish, who knows.

It's interesting how down people are on Sanctus but he is one of the more fought bosses by Donguri in his vids.

He's super jugglable when you break his shields and the fact that he's perpetually in the air is a chance to show off some other combos that might be trickier otherwise (obviously the Berial 'target' is primarily in the air but it's tougher to hang out around his feet than it is below Sanctus - Sanctus allows Donguri to keep transitioning between air and ground at a comfortable pace that is pretty much totally under his control). It makes sense as a choice for combo videos, and for factors that have little to do with whether he's a good boss or not. You can clown on him if you know what you're doing, basically, but he's also (more importantly) easier to fuck around and experiment with, partly because he's kind of boring.

Credo's still the most fun for videos from a viewing perspective specifically because he's a more aggressive boss than most of the others, so there are therefore more opportunities to punish and humiliate him in a way that looks really boss. He was pretty much designed for that. But Sanctus is probably useful to Donguri, I'm guessing, because so much of that fight is strictly under the player's control.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
^I still find Berial (Is this supposed to be Belial btw? ) and Echidna to be pretty enjoyable bosses but not amazing.

Also I wonder what they would have done in the original game with Trish and Gloria being separate characters. We probably got cheated out of Gloria or Angelo Gloria boss fights. Maybe Dante fights Angelo Gloria and Nero fights Trish, who knows.
Is Berial the fire beast? Him and Echidna are OK, but I couldn't get Echidna staggered when I went through 19 which made the fight horrible. I despise that toad though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Berial is supposed to be a pun on Belial and Beryl.

Echidna's alright, but I really dislike the always-automatically-facing-the-player thing - the fight always feels like there's so little geography to it when there's no way to roll around to Echidna's back or anything like that.

Top Bottom