• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Go to Mission Select
Select Bloody Palace
Pick Vergil
Finish 1 stage
Go back to mission menu
Pick Dante
Congratulations, your Round Trip now charges instantly

/Vergil

Seyavesh

Go to Mission Select
Select Bloody Palace
Pick Vergil
Finish 1 stage
Go back to mission menu
Pick Dante
Congratulations, your Round Trip now charges instantly

/Vergil

haha what the fuck, this actually works
-why- does it work

i've read that the same works with super costumes applying to regular costumes too

Golnei

-why- does it work

570efd5206575ca8df0facb4b74c3059_400x400.jpeg

^ Swery is allowed to do that. Dude had a deadly premonition about Vergil.
-why- does it work

i've read that the same works with super costumes applying to regular costumes too

Oh that?
Select Dante and Nero/Broken Guy story
Select a mission
Select alternate costume
Start Mission
Quit Mission
Go to Bloody Palace
But this time select Super Dante/Nero/Broken Guy

Your alternate costume character will have super setting activated.

It's how I made that Gloria to Gloria gif a few pages back. Messing around with cutscenes but using the gallery theatre.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Oh that?
Select a mission
Select alternate costume
Start Mission
Quit Mission
Go to Bloody Palace

It's how I made that Gloria to Gloria gif a few pages back. Messing around with cutscenes but using the gallery theatre.

What the what

Geez, that's crazy. And I don't even understand the second example. Shouldn't it be the other way around if properties are carried over from the first selection into the second selection?

What the what

Geez, that's crazy. And I don't even understand the second example. Shouldn't it be the other way around if properties are carried over from the first selection into the second selection?

Yeah, your costume is carried over to the Super Character that you play in BP.

In the first example:
You carry Vergils charge time (first selection) across to Dante.

In the second example:
You carry the costumes (first selection) across to the super characters.

Sorry I would've posted this before but ....didn't. No-one pointed it out when I was streaming either but oh well (DmC Dante with Super abilities).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The results of the DMC4SE Capcom-Unity Tournament Round 2 have been announced, and Essedieffe beat SharpShooter by 2%.

Next round is up:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregama...le-tournament---round-2-results-round-3-rules

Round 3 Rules:

Character: Trish

Difficulty: Son of Sparda

Modifiers: Turbo Mode is optional! You may choose the costume of your preference.

Mission: 12

Fight: "Meeting Room" fight, against the Mega Scarecrows.* You do not have to perform the entire fight in 60 seconds, but the clip itself must be limited to a 60-second (or shorter) piece of the fight. It may, of course, be shorter than 60 seconds.

gunbo13

Trish players here should enter the capcom event. I personally don't know shit about her but you would have my support.

LINK TO THREAD
Pi9X1ZA.png

• We have one person who won two categories, so according to the tournament rules the runner up wins the prize for the lower category (in terms of prize).
  • Congratulations to the winners, and thanks for all those that participated. All submitted combo entries were well put together and stylish. Here's to more NeoGAF DMC True Style tournaments in the future!
ZrqD6GW.png

KLatdz7.png

cieac6V.png

I'll PM winners about how I'll send the prizes.

Seyavesh

gatdam two entry wins?!
congrats to guardianE cuz daaaaang

for full transparency my votes were for guardianE in the lady category and bumblebeecody in the vergil category- the whiffed twohand spinning sealed the deal there while bumblebeecody's entry had that cool layered usage of the surrounding spiral swords alongside ending with chain judgement cuts

abstained from the trish vote since i had an entry in there

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Wow, er, I stole those wins away. I don't know how, but I definitely don't think I deserve them over the other guys. Still, I appreciate it. I'll chalk it up to some birthday luck (it's tomorrow! :3). The irony is that I thought my Lady entry was my only viable one by even a little bit. There was an esc, reverse gunstinger, and a maximum ground zero in it.

All the entries were awesome, but my votes were:
Lady- BumblebeeCody
Trish- Seyavesh
Vergil- CrackPebbles

ShinMaruku

Oh that?
Select a mission
Select alternate costume
Start Mission
Quit Mission
Go to Bloody Palace

Thanks for that. I had accidentatlly found that out and forgot how to do it. Now I have blue super Nero.

Also I am leveling up to the point I may use regular nero. :p

Does anyone know the context for Vergil doing his Summoned Sword taunt?

I'm finding it hard to be creative as Vergil. He has so many strong attacks that I just teleport around and use whatever attack comes to mind first and it's not very elegant. And is there a guide to just frames for Judgment Cut?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Does anyone know the context for Vergil doing his Summoned Sword taunt?

I'm finding it hard to be creative as Vergil. He has so many strong attacks that I just teleport around and use whatever attack comes to mind first and it's not very elegant. And is there a guide to just frames for Judgment Cut?

You need to be in at least S Style for the summon sword taunt.

Here's Chaser's Vergil tutorial. It might help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF16RaBq9V4

1) Awesome. Happy to see how the result for NeoGAF tournament turned out.

2) Damn. Not happy to see how the Capcom Unity tournament turned out. Spawn is a really underrated player.

3) Will enter Trish :D

Will post the details for the NeoGAF CMV later today.

Seyavesh

well, this is my capcom tournament entry- couldn't get the exact finisher i wanted but blegh, i can't be assed to try again while burning up right now
http://youtu.be/VcNe37H86YE

it's more or less the same stuff i've been doing before but all put together i guess.
the first kill is just to build a huge amount of style as quickly as possible so i can do the last kill because the real meat combo ain't build jack shit. the last combo was supposed to start with a JC high voltage for the cool effect but i fucked up and got a full high voltage and ran with it

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Cross-posting, but direct_quote deserves a big, huge thank you for running the TrueStyle Tournament. It's certainly not easy, and he made plenty of accommodations for people to make sure everyone had a chance to enter. So, big ups to him.

Thanks to all those who entered. I was expecting more S-taunts in the Vergil videos, think there was only one.

And statistics wise:
  • 33 votes total for Vergil entries, 35 entries for Trish and Lady.
  • Vergil vote was closer, with winning vote taking 34.4%, and after that 3 entries having 15.6%.
  • Lady vote winning vote took 41.1 %, 2nd place was 20.6%.
  • Trish vote winning vote took 51.5%, 2nd place was 27.3%.

gunbo13

Props to direct_quote for running the tournament. Great job man.

The voting system appears to be flawed IMO. Same with Capcom unity and all associated tournaments. DMC will never receive such treatment but tournaments should be judged by a panel using an olypmic style system. There isn't proper consideration for technical ability along with ingenuity. For example, I can recreate all the combos submitted in a few hours. The same could go for my submission. However, the degree in difficulty to recreate is the technical side of gameplay. Ingenuity would be not just flash, but breaking common mold to invent something interesting. There could be more to the scoring system but there at least needs both these considerations along with experienced judges.

However, these are all ridiculous notions. I am desensitized towards what people consider "stylish" in DMC games. The most popular combo videos are often just a bunch of prog music, cut-scene inserts, and bad editing. They don't attribute much to the core gameplay systems beyond spectacle. I figure that speed and technical requirements would be "stylish." I am dead wrong. I spent 1 hour and 45 mins exactly making the Lady video, just to throw something out there.

Anyway, this is all in good fun. Congrats to the winners. I likely will stick to YT from now on and not participate in events. Capcom unity wins are nonsensical so the official channel is borked. And if there is to be an outside tournament that improves on that flawed system, it requires a lot more organization then the game will ever receive. Direct_quote did a great job though, I would not have the chops to pull this off that well. Kudos.

Seyavesh

honestly the only thing i want out of tournaments is judgement on my ability and ideas on how to improve overall.

especially from multiple sources given the really subjective nature of combo quality within DMC. i'm the type of dude who gets stuck in loops doin' the same shit once i've settled in and criticism would help alleviate that- it's a big reason why i keep posting my vids.

though i'd imagine that the free-flowing nature of DMC combat also makes it hard to really to criticize with substance, too

The voting system appears to be flawed IMO. Same with Capcom unity and all associated tournaments. DMC will never receive such treatment but tournaments should be judged by a panel using an olypmic style system. There isn't proper consideration for technical ability along with ingenuity. For example, I can recreate all the combos submitted in a few hours. The same could go for my submission. However, the degree in difficulty to recreate is the technical side of gameplay. Ingenuity would be not just flash, but breaking common mold to invent something interesting. There could be more to the scoring system but there at least needs both these considerations along with experienced judges.

However, these are all ridiculous notions. I am desensitized towards what people consider "stylish" in DMC games. The most popular combo videos are often just a bunch of prog music, cut-scene inserts, and bad editing. They don't attribute much to the core gameplay systems beyond spectacle. I figure that speed and technical requirements would be "stylish." I am dead wrong. I spent 1 hour and 45 mins exactly making the Lady video, just to throw something out there.

Anyway, this is all in good fun. Congrats to the winners. I likely will stick to YT from now on and not participate in events. Capcom unity wins are nonsensical so the official channel is borked. And if there is to be an outside tournament that improves on that flawed system, it requires a lot more organization then the game will ever receive. Direct_quote did a great job though, I would not have the chops to pull this off that well. Kudos.
Thanks, (and also GuardianE too).

I would agree that it's a flawed system because most people won't pick up on the higher skilled nuances, but I think people are more interested if they can have some influence on the outcome. And part of the goal of the tournament was to give exposure of DMC combo videos to more casual players, and get DMC-GAF on the ground running.

I think if I got more entries I would have segmented entries into rounds. Winners of each round would then compete with each other with a more lengthy video requirement (say 1 minute - 2 minutes). Probably would have resulted in people upping the anty competition wise. Maybe next time. Will be interesting to see how BumblebeeCody's DMC CMV thing goes.

edit: I think what would be interesting for a score system is to allow people to vote for their favorite entries, and have that be a category that holds a certain weight. Then technical judges will rate the other categories, and sum total score would be used to decide the winner. So popularity would have an influence but not be the deciding factor. But that takes a lot more effort than just having people vote for their favorite entries.

gunbo13

honestly the only thing i want out of tournaments is judgement on my ability and ideas on how to improve overall.
Feel free to post anything you are working on. I am more than happy to give you feedback on characters I am also working with.
Thanks, (and also GuardianE too).

I would agree that it's a flawed system because most people won't pick up on the higher skilled nuances, but I think people are more interested if they can have some influence on the outcome. And part of the goal of the tournament was to give exposure of DMC combo videos to more casual players, and get DMC-GAF on the ground running.
I think you did a great job with the exposure and I agree with your sentiment. I guess my concern per se is that the combat is not understood by viewers. An education is required in order to see the nuances of the combat e.g. the really technical at times wacky stuff. So it is likely better for judging to be limited to those with knowledge but also a public vote is fine.

It's a bit tricky but you did a great job. We can try to reinvent the wheel but it's tough.

Duress

I think my game is bugged. It keeps telling me it's creating game data, when I hit next mission or mission menu. I can only restart the first mission :(

So I guess the only thing people are doing now are their own CMVs and the (short) Capcom Unity Tournament. Gonna be honest, I think there's a lot of skilled players here that would make for a great video.

The NeoGAF DMC4:SE CMV:
Starting August 1st(today) you have until the end of August(31st) to submit 1-3 videos showing off the best combo(s) you can come up with.

1q) How many videos can I submit?
1a) 1-3. I want as many people to be involved as possible. If it means you can only submit 1 [character name here] combo because of reasons, that's fine. I've set 3 to the limit(for now) since I don't want any one person to dominate the video with their combos.

2a) Who will edit the video?
2q) Since it's my idea, I'll take on the responsibility of editing the combos. However, I'm completely open to the idea of someone else wanting to edit them together with flashy effects, music etc

3a) How do I submit a video?
3q) To any file hosting website such as MEGA, Mediafire etc. PM Me(or the person editing) to download the link so they can download it and edit it.

4a) Once the video has been made, then what happens?
4q) The idea is that once the video is made, you will all given a copy of the video (from a file hosting site) so they can upload it to their YouTube channel.

5a) Songs in the video?
5q ) Depending on the length it'll vary but I already have a few ideas.

6a) How much control do I have over the end result even though I'm not the editor)
6q) Internally verify everything with you guys. (Questions the editor will/should be asking) Do you like the song? Do you like the progress so far? Any self promotional channels you wanna add in your credit section when you're name appears or any ideas you think you could add to it?

7a) When will it be finished
7q) The idea is that after the 31st of August, the video will be finished at some point in September(depending on who does it).

Those are just a couple of things I've come up with. Let me know what your thoughts are. I might be over thinking this, but it's basically take these clips from you guys and edit them together. Just an idea and how I'm approaching it.

Edit; plugging my channel but some of the editing I've done.
MGR: R [Raiden], DmC: [Dante], DmC: DE[Vergil], https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB4KqxsZ7x4"]TTT2: [Lars/Kuni], USFIV [Poison]. I have limited software (That Vergil combo video was made in Roxio free editing software and paint). If you feel you can do a better job, by all means, suggest yourself :)

gunbo13

I think a video showcasing people's skills is a great idea. In order to get better, receive constructive criticism, etc... it is best to collaborate. Then, having a competition is a good fit for those wanting to push themselves. The fun with DMC games are about players learning new things and getting better. I personally am not interested in anything more than people understanding the craft behind the games. Seeing new players jump on board showing talent and players who are already good yet have fun getting better.

The issue I have had with DMC communities is lack of transparency. Elitism is common leading towards sharing only for recognition, keeping 99% of the work out. The exceptions are those who put a lot of time documenting combat systems, not asking for award. I personally never had a problem posting videos of me sucking at times, my old YT videos show this. Yet by keeping people in the dark about the learning side of things, you push away more casual players. I also feel it makes people unwilling to participate due to fear of being put down, which results in low event participations.

I'm just soapboxing but it's how I have always felt about more serious DMC commumities. There is no reason to keep bad habits alive which usually stem from the often juvenile fighting game scene. It should be about the pure fun of it all.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I agree with both you and direct_quote, and I unfortunately also agree about the feasibility of forcing qualified judging criteria. That sort of restriction would run the risk of making the already paltry participation pool even smaller. In this particular case, it was clear that it was a friendly intra-community competition, but even on a larger scale you get into niche within a niche territory.

It's still interesting to think about, because I think there are very valid reasons for evaluating videos separately for creativity, technical ability, and composition. I think that's what the V Style Tournaments are sort of intended to be, though, I believe?

I'm just glad it was run, though. I certainly didn't think I was going to win anything. I really just wanted to participate in a community activity.

And this is the second Capcom-Unity style tournament. It's still a learning experience. I'm sure Gregaman is open to getting feedback, and if something is within his power, he'd consider implementing it.

That's for sure the attitude to have, I think. Just have fun, satisfy yourself with something you create, and try to improve. At least, that seems healthy to me. Your videos have already taught me a lot about Trish, and have influenced my approach with her.

So I guess the only thing people are doing now are their own CMVs and the (short) Capcom Unity Tournament. Gonna be honest, I think there's a lot of skilled players here that would make for a great video.

I gotta say that I'm partial to "Here We Go" from Anarchy Reigns, but anything from that soundtrack is pure gold. If I can, I'll try to help out. I think this would be fun.

True but it also comes down to the people voting. I think it should be that you're only allowed to vote if you've seen the other videos first. Some HTML code should be easily to implement on a webpage for that. Also, not everyone really cares about how much people are doing. Like I said before, my DmC Vergil stuff sometimes been dismissed as mashing and sword spam. Other people will dismiss Melee throw loops as cheap when it's not that hard. Or Soul Fist in Marvel as spam etc. It happens.

As for the song, well depending on how long the video is, then I could add that in. I've done double song combo stuff before and I do like that song too.

Another Nero vs Credo fuck around (no edit). (With yer table hops and spear grabs Kreygasm)
Much like the Dante one, it's there to be entertaining. I have a perfect Credo fight but this was just something that happened while streaming. Fun times.

gunbo13

I'm just glad it was run, though. I certainly didn't think I was going to win anything. I really just wanted to participate in a community activity.
You should have, your Trish was solid. I voted for it.

But I feel the same way, I didn't think my Vergil would be understood and the other entries I did were just cause I semi-promised I'd submit something. And that embarrassing Lady video of mine won. haha It's typical of public opinion, many videos are highlighted as their favorites since they are digestible to the common player. They can follow the movement and the spectacle comes from the animations, not the lack thereof. I have seen this evidence on almost all of my YT submissions, the more advanced, the more you alienate viewers. You also have popularity, which has already damaged the integrity of the Capcom tournament along with people who look down on YT submitters as elitists. I have seen backlash here as well for what would be labeled by some as overenthusiastic, which is usually misconstrued as elitism. Then you finally have the fighting game community ties which are good and bad.

I personally like to play these games just like millions play matches of Fifa & Madden. So even if YT videos are often misunderstood, I really like this community idea of sharing our favorite gameplay. We don't have the fan base size to be able to create a large tournament with proper scoring, etc... regardless I find the sharing aspect even more important to what is still an arbitrary process. I also feel it is equally important to just share stuff you do periodically, looking for feedback.

Laputa_94

After spending 20 minutes practicing I seem to have a hand on being able to do just judgement cuts for the most part. This should make the rest of my run through the campaign easier.

Top Bottom