• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Another problem...
I'm having doubts about the DMC 3 turbo mode...
I timed the cereberus combo 1 (when you repeatedly press melee) performed 10 times both in turbo off and on...
The time turned out to be:

Turbo On : 34.20 seconds
Turbo Off : 34.51 seconds

Guess I got a beta copy or something...

I personally think it would be great if we had an action-gaf thread. NGB, NGS2, NG2, Bayonetta, DMC1, DMC3:SE, DMC4, and even GoW3. Would probably fit well in community after the latest releases die down. A lot of people playing past NG games right now cause of NG3. Could resurrect Bayonetta as well. Etc... I'd cap and stream prob.

I 2nd this idea

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Another problem...
I'm having doubts about the DMC 3 turbo mode...
I timed the cereberus combo 1 (when you repeatedly press melee) performed 10 times both in turbo off and on...
The time turned out to be:

Turbo On : 34.20 seconds
Turbo Off : 34.51 seconds

Guess I got a beta copy or something...

Weird. Where did you order from?

I haven't turned on Turbo mode yet. If no one else in the thread tests it first, I'll check it out when I get home.

Weird. Where did you order from?

I haven't turned on Turbo mode yet. If no one else in the thread tests it first, I'll check it out when I get home.

From a regular videogame shop in a mall, although they were the only ones to have a copy before the street date...

The shitty PC port I played ran faster than this... It's killing all the fun...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Good news fellow DMC-fans! I'll be able to buy this game either late this week or early next week :3

Look forward to my HYPE! THIS PARTAYS GETTING CRAAAZAAH... LET'S RAOOAACK!

The devil dice is very easy. Mission 19 which has the boss gauntlet is a good place to practice your boss strategies, better than any other area in the game.

For those that don't know, you just Buster right before your desired number is about to pop up on the dice. It will land on that number every single time.

DMC4 PC version doesn't count because most people haven't played it and it has a ton of mods that make the game pretty much godlike (like even better than DMC3 in some regards). God Must Die mod and stuff like Turbo/LDK modes that are in it by default.

Do you have a link to this? When I try to search for it I can only find videos.

DMC4 PC version doesn't count because most people haven't played it and it has a ton of mods that make the game pretty much godlike (like even better than DMC3 in some regards). God Must Die mod and stuff like Turbo/LDK modes that are in it by default.
What are some good mods?

Carbonox

Mine wasn't delivered either. I used Expedited as my delivery option (Amazon Prime). Fuck sake.

I didn't use that but it was despatched yesterday and they're usually quick after that. Still, that definitely sucks for you.

I paid through them for some items yesterday for next day delivery (as in, today), and the items never came. I want a fucking refund, regardless of the cost of the quick option. Never happened before.

Dahbomb

Tell me more about these mods, Dahbomb. Anything in particular that you'd recommend trying out aside from God Must Die?
I haven't really tried out many mods. There are a ton of mods that change appearances like the Aegislee mod and stuff (like Ifrit gauntlets, Sparda sword, Credo playable). This is the most epic mod for DMC4 as it allows you to customize enemy difficulties to insane levels. Allows you to choose missions, BP mission and a bunch of other options, it's essentially a hardcore trainer for DMC4.

God Must Die is what DMD of DMC4 should've been. DMD in DMC4 is barely a step above Hard mode where as GMD is what a true DMD is in DMC games, a massive spike in difficulty above even Hard mode.

That video link posted previously of Dante vs Credo GMD... dude was playing like a god because I can tell you guys that GMD Credo is one of the hardest boss fights in gaming history. Too bad 99.99% of people who played DMC4 will never get to experience such an encounter.

gunbo13

Looking forward to the video. Happauge is supposed to be boss. It's fantastic for streaming. Kadey uses it to capture online matches in Fighting GAF.
I might cap it tonight if I don't get back home too late. I'm going to change things up though. Do half tutorial and then do some DMD SP like mission 2 to apply what I showed. I don't want to give people the impression that this is combo video stuff only by camping in the skull chamber.

Happauge seems pretty nice. I assume component bypasses some BS as well. And I like how it is designated for gaming systems. I'll definitely consider it, thanks.

ApolloJoh

Getting my copy later on today.

I've kinda been itching to play through DMC1/3 again.

And I'll get to see why DMC2's so bad too, lol.

ScOULaris

Getting my copy later on today.

I've kinda been itching to play through DMC1/3 again.

And I'll get to see why DMC2's so bad too, lol.

With regard to DMC2, just play it for 30-45 minutes or so to see why it's so bad. That's all you'll need to satisfy your morbid curiosity. Anything more than that would just be masochism.

Ezi0

I didn't use that but it was despatched yesterday and they're usually quick after that. Still, that definitely sucks for you.

I paid through them for some items yesterday for next day delivery (as in, today), and the items never came. I want a fucking refund, regardless of the cost of the quick option. Never happened before.

Aye. Here's to tomorrow for DMC. I've always had good service from Amazon so I shouldn't be too bothered. But still...

That's ridiculous. Definitely get onto them about a refund.

So I finished DMC1 and DMC2 on normal, now starting DMC3 on hard. DMC3 really benefits a lot from the HD collection. I remember DMC3 having a lot of aliasing issues on the PS2, now they are mostly gone. Looks really nice. Let's you appreciate some of the visual design (both technically and artistically) a lot more.

Dahbomb

Just play DMC2 and finish it if you can.

It was more agonizing to play through the game when it first came out and when you had to pay $60 on day 1 after anticipating it for 2+ years. Now it just feels like a free game with 2 amazing HD re-releases and as a free game it's not that bad. I have played worse full priced games than it.

The actual stigma associated with DMC2 is much worse than the actual game. The actual game is around a 5-6/10 when it first came out but most players make it out to be like a 2/10 game. Of course going from a 9+ game to a 5 game and then back up to a 9+ game feels off by a ton.

Never played the original DMC trilogy, only DMC4 on 360 which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Picked up the DMC HD remaster today and am playing trough DMC1 and I think it looks great but more importantly it's actually an excellent game. PS2 really was a golden era for game design.

Never played the original DMC trilogy, only DMC4 on 360 which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Picked up the DMC HD remaster today and am playing trough DMC1 and I think it looks great but more importantly it's actually an excellent game. PS2 really was a golden era for game design.

Wait till you get to DMC3 :)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So I finished DMC1 and DMC2 on normal, now starting DMC3 on hard. DMC3 really benefits a lot from the HD collection. I remember DMC3 having a lot of aliasing issues on the PS2, now they are mostly gone. Looks really nice. Let's you appreciate some of the visual design (both technically and artistically) a lot more.

Playing through DMC3 HD made me notice a lot of more subtle details that I simply couldn't see in the original SD version, like some lip quivering and brow furrowing in cutscenes. I think the game translates very well into HD.

Awesome. Be sure to post your impressions as you go through!

Dahbomb

PS2/Xbox was the golden era for the action genre. DMC1, DMC3, NGB, GoW1/2, Viewtiful Joe, ZOE2, Godhand. Even lesser action games like Onimusha, Shinobi, Bujingai, Otogi, Chaos Legion were fun in their own right and most had some unique mechanic to bring to the action game genre. This generation has lacked in both quality and quantity of action titles.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
PS2/Xbox was the golden era for the action genre. DMC1, DMC3, NGB, GoW1/2, Viewtiful Joe, ZOE2, Godhand. Even lesser action games like Onimusha, Shinobi, Bujingai, Otogi, Chaos Legion were fun in their own right and most had some unique mechanic to bring to the action game genre. This generation has lacked in both quality and quantity of action titles.

I wonder if they're going to screw up the ZOE HD Collection given that the Silent Hill one was apparently a disaster. Hopefully it'll be a better port. I loved Onimusha and Shinobi (and Nightshade) back in the day, too. I'd love to see them make a comeback. I know there was a Shinobi released on the DS, but I never checked it out.

Dahbomb

I actually half take back that statement about quantity of action games this generation. There were a decent amount of action games this generation (quality aside):

DMC4
Bayonetta
Vanquish (not melee/combo heavy but it's still pretty much a full on action game)
God of War 3
Ninja Gaiden 2/3
Dante's Inferno
Darksiders
Castlevania: LoS
WET
Ninja Blade

plus Devil's Third, Metal Gear Rising and DmC. Quality lacked a lot this generation.

I actually half take back that statement about quantity of action games this generation. There were a decent amount of action games this generation (quality aside):

DMC4
Bayonetta
Vanquish (not melee/combo heavy but it's still pretty much a full on action game)
God of War 3
Ninja Gaiden 2/3
Dante's Inferno
Darksiders
WET
Ninja Blade

plus Devil's Third, Metal Gear Rising and DmC. Quality lacked a lot this generation.
If you're letting Wet and Ninja Blade tier titles on your list, don't forget the GOW-clone Conan from earlier this gen.

ScOULaris

DMC4
Bayonetta
God of War 3
Ninja Gaiden 2/3
Dante's Inferno
Darksiders
WET
Ninja Blade

Vanquish being my favorite from that list.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

DMC4
Bayonetta
God of War 3
Ninja Gaiden 2/3
Dante's Inferno
Darksiders
WET
Ninja Blade

Technically, you could throw the Force Unleashed and Force Unleashed II in there as well. If you're going to cast a net that wide for this generation (including WET and Vanquish), then you'd have to do the same for the last generation... where I think you'd find a LOT more "B-tier" action games.

And the majority of licensed games were "action" games as well. I think it really depends on how generous you want to be with the classification.

ApolloJoh

With regard to DMC2, just play it for 30-45 minutes or so to see why it's so bad. That's all you'll need to satisfy your morbid curiosity. Anything more than that would just be masochism.

Well, I'm planning to Platinum each of 'em. :p

Though when that's done, I'll probably continue to play 1 and 3 just for kicks like I do with Bayonetta.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

DMC4

Bayonetta

God of War 3
Ninja Gaiden 2/3
Dante's Inferno
Darksiders
WET
Ninja Blade

Bolded the good action games this gen. Ninja Blade and Darksiders? Really, Dahbomb ♥?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood

DMC4
Bayonetta
God of War 3
Ninja Gaiden 2/3
Dante's Inferno
Darksiders
WET
Ninja Blade

That list is missing X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I quite enjoyed that.

Yoshichan

That list is missing X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I quite enjoyed that.
And Heavenly Sword. And Enslaved!'

QorpQ.jpg

Dahbomb

Forgot about Heavenly Sword, Conan and Genji. I only really listed the games I played although I have played Heavenly Sword.

Darksiders is a good game, decent action and better adventure aspects to it. Ninja Blade is pretty bad though.

I already had Godhand, it's in the top tier PS2 action games list. Godhand is top 5 best action game ever made (DMC1, DMC3, NGB, Bayonetta and Godhand).

DMC4
Bayonetta
God of War 3
Ninja Gaiden 2/3
Dante's Inferno
Darksiders
WET
Ninja Blade

El Shaddai I guess would be on this list too. Demon/Dark Souls I think have lots of good action game sensibilities (enemies operate on a very similar level to you, possible to do no damage runs, etc).

Dahbomb

DMC3 is pretty much an example of a game that was molded extensively through fan feedback. Even through the alpha stages the game was put under a microscope because no one wanted a repeat of DMC2. E3 trailer 2k4 trailer and demo while hype inducing also had some issues that had some fans worried and there was a Capcom representative known as Ben Judd who was constantly taking feedback. Since it was a team which wasn't that expert at making DMC, they were sort of lost on some of the more finer details in the game.

Stuff that I pretty much know was changed going from DMC2 to DMC3 thanks to fan feedback/input:

*Floaty physics from DMC2. We hated that shit and wanted Capcom to fix it. The DMC3 demo had floatier physics than it does now and the players on forums constantly wanted it toned down despite the demo still being quite awesome. This includes both the physics of Dante and the enemies plus their interaction when combos/juggles are taking place.
*Guns don't juggle standing enemies. Another thing we wanted reverted back to DMC1 style. Knockback on guns was terribly imbalanced. On top of that when you juggled opponents with the hand guns they shouldn't flop around like and nor should Dante. No one liked the idea of SMGs as it completely overshadows E&I the classical DMC weapon so it was removed from DMC3.
*Stinger and Hightime have the same impact they did in DMC1.
*More weapon classes. DMC2 idea of palette swap swords was awful. The chrono heart crap was bad too, didn't want that back. Fans especially wanted a gauntlet style weapon back so we got Beowulf.
*Removal of DDT. Insanely imbalanced mechanic that took the skill out of the game. People wanted multiple DT forms back as well from DMC1.
*Harder game. Demo was easier than the game we have now and fans still wanted a harder game. Capcom got so many requests to make DMC3 hard that they ramped the NA difficulty to almost unfair levels.
*Focus back on Dante as the main character. I personally liked the IDEA of a secondary character in DMC2 but most people just wanted to play Dante. I was very happy with the addition of Vergil in the SE.
*Dante not a mute and more stylish in personality. A lot of fans had a problem with the grim/mute Dante, people wanted more stylish antics and cheesy lines. We got a handful of those in DMC3.
*Stylish cutscenes and an action storyline. We got that too.
*Style system revamped. The roll/wall run mechanic was shoddy at best and the Rainstorm/Two Some time was pretty much useless but all of them were good ideas that people wanted expanded upon. We got the Style system from this.
*People liked the gun swap in realtime and wanted it for melee weapons too.
*Jump cancel (now known as enemy step cancel) made more useful was a fan request too. It ended up being pivotal to the advancement of DMC's game play in general.
*Close quarter environments. Another very big request from fans as the open areas of DMC2 messed with the balance of the game and the camera angles. Camera angles was also requested to be touched up but the main thing was that people wanted combat in tighter areas and we definitely got that.
*Epic boss fights and especially there were requests for a boss fight like Nelo Angelo as he was a fan favorite. We got Vergil.
*Combo strings style changed to DMC1. No one liked the directional combo style of DMC2, we wanted the timing based combo style of DMC1 back. We also wanted Million Stab to be bad ass again.

I am probably missing a metric ton of other stuff too. Haven't played DMC2 in a while so I am forgetting the more subtle stuff it does wrong which was fixed in DMC3. I was there during the whole process. Most of the DMC fans who were following DMC3 up to its release very closely knew this game was going to be very good just on the impressions of the demo alone but a lot of people were very skeptical about this. I still remember people looked at me weird when I said that DMC3's combat blows DMC1's combat away before the game even came out but I was sure on that shit.

El Shaddai I guess would be on this list too. Demon/Dark Souls I think have lots of good action game sensibilities (enemies operate on a very similar level to you, possible to do no damage runs, etc).
El Shaddai counts for sure and it's a pretty decent pick in fact. Demon/Dark Souls felt more like an RPG to me. Action game traits for sure but still more an RPG than a full on action game IMO. A god tier game IMO, we need more games like it.

Prinny

Amazon finally shipped my copy. They're sending it with UPS instead of Canada Post so I'll get it tomorrow /happy dance

gunbo13

This would be my action-gaf list.

Bayonetta
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3: SE
Devil May Cry 4
God Hand
God of War 3
Ninja Gaiden Black
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Ninja Gaiden 2
Onimusha: Warlords
Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny
Onimusha 3: Demon Siege

I threw one title in there cause I like it and don't give a shit. ;)

Curufinwe

Genji on the PS2 was fun, too.

randomwab

Damn, the art section has a LOT of concept art from when DMC was still an RE game. A lot of what the enemies looked like before their redesigns and stuff. So good.

Top Bottom