• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Yeah, seriously.

Replaying DMC1 is showing me all of these little touches that clearly date back to RE4 (documents about a castellan, the fade/zoom door transition, and even some shared sound effects and musical snippets). I'd love to see a book fully documenting RE4's development history.

Yeah, DMC1 doesn't hide its Resident Evil roots very much. Lots of weird leftovers and also the strange elongated death scenes that seem kind out of place http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a6lVeIPfzs.

Edit: Yeah, they are straight outta Resident Evil 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggdWn1r3SJ0

Dahbomb

Haters gonna hate, great video Gunbo.

By the way what you refer to as the "swipe" most fighting game players refer to as "plinking" now. You can probably make a mention of that in a future video.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah, seriously.

Replaying DMC1 is showing me all of these little touches that clearly date back to RE4 (documents about a castellan, the fade/zoom door transition, and even some shared sound effects and musical snippets). I'd love to see a book fully documenting RE4's development history.

I was thinking the exact same thing while playing it. I love the RE throwbacks.

One thing I forgot in DMC3 thats only come back to me as ive been playing is that if you hold devil trigger down instead of just pressing it and release when all your balls glow red, you trigger a DT explosion for extra damage.

really cool trick that's useful for bosses. It kinda got incorporated in the normal DT transformations in 4, but its not as powerful.

gunbo13

By the way what you refer to as the "swipe" most fighting game players refer to as "plinking" now. You can probably make a mention of that in a future video.
I'll be sure to mention that. Thanks.

Raonak

Banned
One thing I forgot in DMC3 thats only come back to me as ive been playing is that if you hold devil trigger down instead of just pressing it and release when all your balls glow red, you trigger a DT explosion for extra damage.

really cool trick that's useful for bosses. It kinda got incorporated in the normal DT transformations in 4, but its not as powerful.

Sorta glad they got rid of that. sorta made DT useless when you can use DTE instead. plus instant SSStylish when done with all runes. wasn't very skillful or anything.

I was on the fence about this but playing some DMC4 has convinced me to pick this up, even though I am sucking something awful today. Watching the death animations video makes me realise that I can barely remember anything about DMC1, it's been so long. I can't even remember what it was like playing the crappy PAL conversion.

Dahbomb

Yeah DTE was not a good idea or at least was not implemented properly because it was overpowered. One of the very few game play blemishes in DMC3 balance wise.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just beat DMC1. It was a lot shorter than I remember it being. It felt a bit easier after going through DMC3... there was an adjustment period since Dante moves so differently, but the game really was designed more for taking advantage of certain enemies' weaknesses. Time to move into DMC2. I'll definitely be checking out some of the posts in here for tips on DMC2, as this will be my first time completing it. I played it a long long time ago, but only got a few missions in.

Yeah, DMC1 doesn't hide its Resident Evil roots very much. Lots of weird leftovers and also the strange elongated death scenes that seem kind out of place http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a6lVeIPfzs.

Edit: Yeah, they are straight outta Resident Evil 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggdWn1r3SJ0

Wow, I completely forgot about those extended death scenes. Some of them I'd never seen before. So awesome!

Though plinking is more accurately the extension an input over multiple frames for link leniency. The "swipe" would be more like ensuring the quickest and most efficient method of input/animation canceling. There are similarities in execution, but I see them almost more as kara-inputs.

Very nice video, Gunbo!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kagari is a big DMC lore fan? How have you been hiding this?

Hahaha, lack of good recent DMC games I'm afraid :( DMC4 burned me somewhat so I've been under a rock ever since! ffff I wanted that game to be better than it was. I'm so mad Capcom has never really expanded on the stories very much either. They really need to!

gunbo13

Hahaha, lack of good recent DMC games I'm afraid :( DMC4 burned me somewhat so I've been under a rock ever since! ffff I wanted that game to be better than it was. I'm so mad Capcom has never really expanded on the stories very much either. They really need to!
If I bring up the anime...will you ban me?

Cause I would deserve it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just beat DMC1. It was a lot shorter than I remember it being. It felt a bit easier after going through DMC3... there was an adjustment period since Dante moves so differently, but the game really was designed more for taking advantage of certain enemies' weaknesses. Time to move into DMC2. I'll definitely be checking out some of the posts in here for tips on DMC2, as this will be my first time completing it. I played it a long long time ago, but only got a few missions in.

Wow, I completely forgot about those extended death scenes. Some of them I'd never seen before. So awesome!

Though plinking is more accurately the extension an input over multiple frames for link leniency. The "swipe" would be more like ensuring the quickest and most efficient method of input/animation canceling. There are similarities in execution, but I see them almost more as kara-inputs.

Very nice video, Gunbo!

Yeah, I beat DMC1 in under 5 hours which surprised me. The water level wasn't as bad as I recalled either.

gunbo13

I fansubbed that anime when it was originally airing ;-;
Holy shit! lol I'm glad I brought it up. That's bananas. I actually used pieces of the DMC anime OST in some of my UT videos. You ever dig the OST?

Great songs:
Bullet (!)
Last Rag (used in a DMC4 joke combo video with Nero)
D.M.C. band version (used for an early combo vid)
D.M.C. guitar version (used for a DMC1 pcsx2 vid)
Under the sun (great mellow song)
Pain (moody great version!)
Life is on you (awesome feel)
Room Despair (female vocalist, very catchy)
Future in my hands (female vocalist, even more catchy!)

It is ridiculous how good the OST is for the anime. I love it!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Holy shit! lol I'm glad I brought it up. That's bananas. I actually used pieces of the DMC anime OST in some of my UT videos. You ever dig the OST?

Great songs:
Bullet (!)
Last Rag (used in a DMC4 joke combo video with Nero)
D.M.C. band version (used for an early combo vid)
D.M.C. guitar version (used for a DMC1 pcsx2 vid)
Under the sun (great mellow song)
Pain (moody great version!)
Life is on you (awesome feel)
Room Despair (female vocalist, very catchy)
Future in my hands (female vocalist, even more catchy!)

It is ridiculous how good the OST is for the anime. I love it!

Yeah, the OST was good... I was totally disappointed in the characters and story though. No DT Dante or anything :|

Hey, this thread is about the good things about classic DMC. The anime does not fall under that category.

ohh I dunno... It did give us this tidbit, http://youtu.be/88umaJiKMWA?t=17s

which is especially funny after Ninja theories "Dante would get laughed at if he ever walked into a bar" comment

(disclaimer, I haven't watched the whole series, nor do I care to)

edit: I just watched that whole episode.... yep its terribad.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Sadly, no it does not. But I think I would still take it over DMC2... just barely ;)

I would.

I had this crazy idea that the DMC anime would have been as crazy as Hellsing was for some reason. That I would see crazy stylish action like in the games. Reality brought sadness. :(

Spruchy

Finished DMC1 today, kinda bummed out I have to replay DMC3 as Dante before I can try out Vergil. Cheat doesn't let you save ;[.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I would.

I had this crazy idea that the DMC anime would have been as crazy as Hellsing was for some reason. That I would see crazy stylish action like in the games. Reality brought sadness. :(

Yeah... I think most fans thought that was how it was going to turn out :(

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I have never played DMC2 before. This will be fun.

ib4D2Z8fBstvD.gif

Dahbomb

I fansubbed that anime when it was originally airing ;-;
Oh wow...

As any DMC fan would be, I was rather hyped when a DMC anime was announced (Madhouse studios too). I expected epic balls to walls demon slaying action but I got a pile of turd. Non-existent storyline, no character development for Dante, no background story on Dante/DMC in general and the new characters they introduced were god awful (fuck moe crap in my DMC, keep that shit far away). The best thing to come out of the anime was the OP especially that shot of Dante in the blood rain on top of an obscenely large demon and the soundtrack which was much better than it should've been. Oh and it didn't actually step on the existing canon because nothing really major happened, it actually neatly ends up being some where between DMC1 and DMC4 story wise.

The 2 DMC3 manga volumes while had shoddy action portrayal was the best piece of story work for the series. Profoundly saddened that they never released the Lady version to it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just beat mission 1 of DMC2 for the first time.

jackie-chan-confused.png

The movement feel weird as hell. The enemies are barely attacking me. My guns are able to juggle people on their own and seem godlike.

I have a long road ahead of me.

Dahbomb

Input Stinger and connect with an enemy.

Jump up and starting shooting your guns.

Acquire SMGs.

Use DDT for the first time.

Attempt to do a combo.

It's like you are playing a different game.

Aru

Just beat mission 1 of DMC2 for the first time.

jackie-chan-confused.png

The movement feel weird as hell. The enemies are barely attacking me. My guns are able to juggle people on their own and seem godlike.

I have a long road ahead of me.

Not that long. I remember finishing the game with Dante in 3 hours and a half (Normal mode).

Carbonox

Odd that the collection is coming out tomorrow in UK. Tuesday releases are usually reserved for uber special games. Hopefully Amazon deliver, I'm itching to play.

ScOULaris

Gah, this sucks. I plan on buying this collection at Best Buy, since I have a $50 gift card to use there, but they are still honoring the street date like a bunch of goodie two-shoes. I went in there on Sunday and explained how other stores received an email to ignore the street date, but the Best Buy employee wouldn't budge.

So now I have to wait until Tuesday to revisit my favorite action series of all time while the rest of you are blowing through the games at a breakneck pace.

Volcynika

Am I missing something or is there no way to say, exit DMC3 and pick DMC1 without going back to the XMB and starting up the game again? (PS3 version)

Am I missing something or is there no way to say, exit DMC3 and pick DMC1 without going back to the XMB and starting up the game again? (PS3 version)

No.

--

Helpful tip for people playing DMC and having a bit of issues:
##USE THE SELECT > SAVE MID-MISSION, ESPECIALLY AFTER YOU BUY ANYTHING OR GAIN A LOT OF ORBS/ITEMS.##

I'm pretty sure, other than ego, save #s don't really do anything -- except maybe affect ranking and probably not even that.

I totally forgot about this and was miserably slamming my head into a wall -- I'd start mission 4, get secret missions 2 and 3 done, take out the shadow cat, then grind a bit of red orbs, buy air raid, a purple orb, and 1-2 blue orbs. Then I'd go try secret mission 4 and die. And you only get one shot there. Now I save before I try that mission every time... I've since gotten additional blue orbs and purple orbs and they carry every time I restart the mission... conceivably, you could just grind in chapter 4 (especially in the room with the shadow cat after you kill it, since it fills with death scythes that are easily destroyed with the shotgun for a healthy number of red orbs) until you had everything unique for sale (all blue/purple orbs, all alastor skills, etc.)...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
No.

--

Helpful tip for people playing DMC and having a bit of issues:
##USE THE SELECT > SAVE MID-MISSION, ESPECIALLY AFTER YOU BUY ANYTHING OR GAIN A LOT OF ORBS/ITEMS.##

I'm pretty sure, other than ego, save #s don't really do anything -- except maybe affect ranking and probably not even that.

I totally forgot about this and was miserably slamming my head into a wall -- I'd start mission 4, get secret missions 2 and 3 done, take out the shadow cat, then grind a bit of red orbs, buy air raid, a purple orb, and 1-2 blue orbs. Then I'd go try secret mission 4 and die. And you only get one shot there. Now I save before I try that mission every time... I've since gotten additional blue orbs and purple orbs and they carry every time I restart the mission... conceivably, you could just grind in chapter 4 (especially in the room with the shadow cat after you kill it, since it fills with death scythes that are easily destroyed with the shotgun for a healthy number of red orbs) until you had everything unique for sale (all blue/purple orbs, all alastor skills, etc.)...

Yeah, I always save after every blue orb fragment/secret mission. Pride be damned. I'm kind of neurotic about saving anyway, though.

Yeah, I always save after every blue orb fragment/secret mission. Pride be damned. I'm kind of neurotic about saving anyway, though.

I totally forgot you could do this and have it save your progress then restart the mission -- it was a long time before I figured this out in the original too. I think it's kind of hidden enough to not be obvious, so I wanted to share this; especially since I've already wasted 2-3 hours getting no progress due to the "get secret mission 2,3 done, grind to have a chance at 4, die; reset, load, rinse, repeat" that I had going on. :lol

Dahbomb

It affects your ranking but mostly just the time part of it unless you cheesed it out too much and saved/reset every time you were about to die in which case it will save the amount of health you lost as well.

You can do the same trick in DMC3 but there is less of a need thanks to replay mission ability. Just farm Mission#1 and 2 for easy red orbs.

It affects your ranking but mostly just the time part of it unless you cheesed it out too much and saved/reset every time you were about to die in which case it will save the amount of health you lost as well.

You can do the same trick in DMC3 but there is less of a need thanks to replay mission ability. Just farm Mission#1 and 2 for easy red orbs.

Yeah, DMC3 with the replay mission ability was definitely key -- the catch with the original is that if you're going for the secret missions, you want to try to get them all done on normal, before you're forced to do new game+ on hard, I think. So if that's the case, yeah, trying to deal with secret mission 4 or getting air hike early is a bit of a pain and requires this kind of grinding.

I never usually save unless I'm at good health and stuff anyway, and I'm not huge on the ranking stuff, so for newbies and the non-ranking types, it works wonders. :D

Top Bottom