• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So...
Anybody else having the problem with cutscenes... or is it just my bad luck that they are outta sync...

How bad is it? I sat through all of the DMC3 cutscenes, and I didn't notice anything.

I never usually save unless I'm at good health and stuff anyway, and I'm not huge on the ranking stuff, so for newbies and the non-ranking types, it works wonders. :D

Why would you save if you had good health? I thought that no real progress was saved except for Red Orbs, Secret Missions, Purchases, and Item pickups.

Footos22

Mine just despatched today from sainsburys.

Cant wait to play 2 again and just spam ebony and ivory the whole game.

Joke, In it for 1 and 3.
2 doesn't exist in my opinion.

How bad is it? I sat through all of the DMC3 cutscenes, and I didn't notice anything.

Pretty bad.... like the intro cutscene before the first fight with vergil... that's about 2 seconds laggy (the video lags behind the audio)...
I have PS3 version...

I think the rendered cutscenes have the problem... The pre-rendered one (like in the game intro when Lady gives an account of how she met both sons of Sparda) plays just fine...

Any help...? The game itself plays fine but the laggy cutscenes spoil the mood...

I'm using an old CRT television as my display... Could that be a cause of the problem...?

P.S: Gotta go to work... Will get back to it after 12 hours...

Pretty bad.... like the intro cutscene before the first fight with vergil... that's about 2 seconds laggy (the video lags behind the audio)...
I have PS3 version...

I think the rendered cutscenes have the problem... The pre-rendered one (like in the game intro when Lady gives an account of how she met both sons of Sparda) plays just fine...

Any help...? The game itself plays fine but the laggy cutscenes spoil the mood...

I'm using an old CRT television as my display... Could that be a cause of the problem...?

P.S: Gotta go to work... Will get back to it after 12 hours...

The CRT probably is the problem. Because I don't notice any kind of audio lagging at all.

Why would you save if you had good health? I thought that no real progress was saved except for Red Orbs, Secret Missions, Purchases, and Item pickups.

Well, for me, I'm usually saving before I go down to my death in secret mission 4, so I'm usually at full -- but generally speaking, if what dahbomb says is accurate, it saves your health too; so it's possible that you'd start the mission if you replayed with low health? I trust dahbomb when it comes to DMC and since I don't remember if it does or not, I'm going to default to his statement -- unless that's only true for DMC3.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well, for me, I'm usually saving before I go down to my death in secret mission 4, so I'm usually at full -- but generally speaking, if what dahbomb says is accurate, it saves your health too; so it's possible that you'd start the mission if you replayed with low health? I trust dahbomb when it comes to DMC and since I don't remember if it does or not, I'm going to default to his statement -- unless that's only true for DMC3.

I can't speak for DMC1, but I know that for DMC3, saving really only logs your item/orb/xp/mission completion/rank. Loading your save just takes you to the mission select screen no matter what. It doesn't save in-mission progress or health.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I came in here to ask how the port quality is and saw a bunch of people complaining about various issues.

Well shit :(

A bunch of people? You mean, one guy who has audio syncing problems during cutscenes on an old CRT?

Almost everyone in here has said that the games run flawlessly.

So which is the better version?

From the posts in here, it doesn't seem like anyone's dissatisfied based on which version they've gotten. I can only speak to the 360 version being pretty perfect, but there are plenty of PS3 users in here who have voiced similar feedback.

Jarmel

Banned
Just finished DMC. Please tell me the cutscenes are supposed to be cheesy as fuck. Please god.

Oh and the camera angles are some of the worst I've ever seen in a game since the Ninja Gaiden series probably. Even then it might be worse. It's much inferior to Bayonetta on that premise alone.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Just finished DMC. Please tell me the cutscenes are supposed to be cheesy as fuck. Please god.

Oh and the camera angles are some of the worst I've ever seen in a game since the Ninja Gaiden series probably. Even then it might be worse. It's much inferior to Bayonetta on that premise alone.

Well it began as an old school Resident Evil game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the fixed camera angles have been killing me in DMC1

Just beat it on hard with Vergil and I dont see me slowing down anytime soon. Jumping straight into DMD mode. Why is this game so god like?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Ninja Gaiden came out 3 years after DMC. Bayonetta came out 8 years after DMC. DMC birthed the entire action genre. It had nothing to base the camera on except for Resident Evil, a game that had intentionally obscuring camera angles. I cut it some slack for being a pioneer.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, I went to five stores tonight to get this and not a single one had it in stock. All of them sold out of it last week.

Defuser

Oh gosh, the cheesiness of DMC 1 is too much for me to take it. Overall I can't see why some people think DMC 1 is the best when 3 is better in most ways.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wasn't following DMC at the time, but what really went down with the release of 2? Was it somewhat expected to disappoint, or was the backlash something that shocked people?

Is DMC2 supposed to be a shooter?

It feels like it. I think I broke my thumb fighting the Infected Chopper because of all the bullets it took.

Oh gosh, the cheesiness of DMC 1 is too much for me to take it. Overall I can't see why some people think DMC 1 is the best when 3 is better in most ways.

1 is super cheesy but I still really love certain aspects of it. The actual castle area and the overall progression is something I'm a sucker for, and I love returning to the castle when it's pitch black, heading through the paintings and into hellish enviroments like the living cave. It's much more horror influenced and it's a part of the series I've missed.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
1 is super cheesy but I still really love certain aspects of it. The actual castle area and the overall progression is something I'm a sucker for, and I love returning to the castle when it's pitch black, heading through the paintings and into hellish enviroments like the living cave. It's much more horror influenced and it's a part of the series I've missed.

You know, playing through DMC1 again, I hadn't realized how much backtracking there was... but even so, it didn't really feel like it. Like returning to the pitch black castle felt like a new experience. Even in DMC3, when you revisit areas, they're changed in a dramatic way, sometimes even turned on their side, or reordered or rearranged visually/aesthetically.

I feel like that may have been one of the biggest problems with DMC4. The retreads were literally backwards retreads without some way of distinguishing them.

Papercuts

You know, playing through DMC1 again, I hadn't realized how much backtracking there was... but even so, it didn't really feel like it. Even in DMC3, when you revisit areas, they're changed in a dramatic way, sometimes even turned on their side, or reordered or rearranged visually/aesthetically.

I feel like that may have been one of the biggest problems with DMC4. The retreads were literally backwards retreads without some way of distinguishing them.

Yeah, I was actually having this discussion with one of my friends last night. DMC1 is more like a branching hub, you revisit areas and actually start to learn the layout of the castle, you know when you're about to go to a new area and are excited to see what's in store. In 4 you literally do one long stretch A to B, then B to A with a different character, only really changing the forest area. Content can be used in intelligent ways, 4 was definitely not smart about it.

Dahbomb

When you went back to the same areas in DMC1 they were drastically changed and eerily dark. The castle was pitch black and Shadow fights in that area were exceedingly difficult (rightfully so, it's their home field advantage). If these were new areas you wouldn't even appreciate the environments because you wouldn't even be able to see them or attempt to navigate them properly without headaches.

DMC games always had some element of backtracking but it was done in good taste and the backtracking didn't take more than 25% of the game usually.

All the DMC games have a lot of backtracking. Honestly it really doesn't matter. The enemy layout is more significant than the room you are fighting in in the DMC games. When you backtrack as Dante and you start fighting Blitz's and altered enemies (or just the fact you are playing as a character with a pretty different move set) - that is way more significant of a change than if the room you were fighting in was now in space or something. Even then yeah, DMC4 wasn't very smart about it to say the least.

Dahbomb

Dante ran through the same bosses with identical move lists. Even in DMC1 they were suped up versions of themselves and there were a lot more new enemies than just Blitz and Chimeras. Also retreading some areas is ok but retreading literally the entire game from the end to the beginning is mad lame.

Dante ran through the same bosses with identical move lists. Even in DMC1 they were suped up versions of themselves and there were a lot more new enemies than just Blitz and Chimeras. Also retreading some areas is ok but retreading literally the entire game from the end to the beginning is mad lame.

Yeah like I said it wasn't handled super well in DMC4. The worst part was when you had to do the boss rush with Nero immediately after (after like the worst boss fight in the series, that "giant boss" battle), fighting the same bosses for the third time.

Papercuts

The worst part about all the boss recycling was that you still only fought Credo ONCE, and he's the best boss in the game.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The worst part about all the boss recycling was that you still only fought Credo ONCE, and he's the best boss in the game.

Agreed. His boss fight was pretty awesome. Yet they give us Agnus. Rofl, that was a pretty low blow to Agnus. hahaha

The CRT probably is the problem. Because I don't notice any kind of audio lagging at all.

I'm currently playing DMC4 on the same system and display configuration... It runs fine (except maybe the forest sections when the framerate drops a little bit).

Also as I previously mentioned, the pre-rendered cutscenes work perfectly well...

Oh well... gotta deal with it then...

What FPS are all the games running at. 60/30?

60 fps.

And yes, the framerate and performance is flawless on the HD ports. Interestingly, I've never encountered any dips in the HD ports, where as the original PS2 versions did have a few instances of dips (especially DMC1 when a whole bunch of Blades died right in front of the camera).

Dahbomb

Yea agreed. Only way to fight Credo as Dante is in Bloody Palace mode. Dark Dante is also rather challenging to fight as Dante because you don't have Snatch/Buster and the usual distortion/Real Impact tricks don't work that well on him (they work but are highly risky and at 101st floor of BP you don't want to be taking stupid risks like that unless you are gosu as fuck).

Aske

Of all DMC4's poor design choices, that one must be responsible for the most the most face-palms...right after the stupid evil dice. I kept expecting an evil demon clone version of Credo to show up, and felt so screwed when I realized that fight wasn't going to be reprised.

Agreed. His boss fight was pretty awesome. Yet they give us Agnus. Rofl, that was a pretty low blow to Agnus. hahaha

His heinous ways make me sick.

Dahbomb

The devil dice is very easy. Mission 19 which has the boss gauntlet is a good place to practice your boss strategies, better than any other area in the game.

For those that don't know, you just Buster right before your desired number is about to pop up on the dice. It will land on that number every single time.

DMC4 PC version doesn't count because most people haven't played it and it has a ton of mods that make the game pretty much godlike (like even better than DMC3 in some regards). God Must Die mod and stuff like Turbo/LDK modes that are in it by default.

gunbo13

I'm planning a "secrets of gunslinger" for my next how to. I'll be cutting the fat on the footage straight to the action. Thoughts? Requests for something different?

EDIT:
Any recommendations on a tuner card?

EDIT2:
Avermedia, HDPVR...$200...hmmm

DMC4 PC is some of the best gaming I have ever had. Playing through it right now in anticipation of my DMC1 and 3 HD replays, and god damn if Nero isn't the most fun combat in the series. Charge shot buffering while holding an enemy as an Aegis Shield while revving and doing comboing/positioning in Bloody Palace is the friggin' pinnacle of the genre, and I adore Bayonetta.

Tell me more about these mods, Dahbomb. Anything in particular that you'd recommend trying out aside from God Must Die?

gunbo13

I personally think it would be great if we had an action-gaf thread. NGB, NGS2, NG2, Bayonetta, DMC1, DMC3:SE, DMC4, and even GoW3. Would probably fit well in community after the latest releases die down. A lot of people playing past NG games right now cause of NG3. Could resurrect Bayonetta as well. Etc... I'd cap and stream prob.

I personally think it would be great if we had an action-gaf thread. NGB, NGS2, NG2, Bayonetta, DMC1, DMC3:SE, DMC4, and even GoW3. Would probably fit well in community after the latest releases die down. A lot of people playing past NG games right now cause of NG3. Could resurrect Bayonetta as well. Etc... I'd cap and stream prob.

Excellent idea. When you look at the threads, it tends to be the same people jumping between the titles.

No harm in adding the B-titles as well, although I doubt many people play them much after release.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I started DMC2 last night. Goddamn, it feels like Dante's moving underwater. I just want to get through this as fast as possible to I can switch back to DMC3.

I'm planning a "secrets of gunslinger" for my next how to. I'll be cutting the fat on the footage straight to the action. Thoughts? Requests for something different?

EDIT:
Any recommendations on a tuner card?

EDIT2:
Avermedia, HDPVR...$200...hmmm

Looking forward to the video. Happauge is supposed to be boss. It's fantastic for streaming. Kadey uses it to capture online matches in Fighting GAF.

Just watched your videos from the OP. Nice work. I'd check out your stream for these games. I don't have the time to invest in getting to the level I was a few years back with DMC3, so it's fun to watch someone do it.

Top Bottom