• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Slermy

Damn, the art section has a LOT of concept art from when DMC was still an RE game. A lot of what the enemies looked like before their redesigns and stuff. So good.

What? There's an art gallery? That sounds great!

Why isn't that in the OP??? Are there any other neat bonuses?

Aske

DMC3 is pretty much an example of a game that was molded extensively through fan feedback. Even through the alpha stages the game was put under a microscope because no one wanted a repeat of DMC2. E3 trailer 2k4 trailer and demo while hype inducing also had some issues that had some fans worried and there was a Capcom representative known as Ben Judd who was constantly taking feedback. Since it was a team which wasn't that expert at making DMC, they were sort of lost on some of the more finer details in the game.

Holy shit...Ben Judd. I'd forgotten that name. I remember his posts on GameFAQs, the back and forth dialogue between him and the fans, and the hugely positive influence it had on the game. I think the NA difficulty was really only misstep due to fan feedback, and by 'misstep' I just mean Capcom might have felt that it hurt their bottom line when the dust settled. It made sense: people were seeing difficulty levels dropping as games became more accessible, and were terrified of DMC3 falling into the same trap. There was the whole movement of people suggesting that North Americans liked much harder games than Japanese gamers...no idea if there was any truth to that in terms of the respective audiences for these specific kinds of games. But as far as I remember, every other suggestion or criticism levelled at the game that came from vocal fans contributed to the excellence of DMC3's design.

So I finished DMC1 and DMC2 on normal, now starting DMC3 on hard. DMC3 really benefits a lot from the HD collection. I remember DMC3 having a lot of aliasing issues on the PS2, now they are mostly gone. Looks really nice. Let's you appreciate some of the visual design (both technically and artistically) a lot more.

Awesome. The aliasing was pretty awful; it'll be sweet replaying the game with cleaner visuals.

Aselith

This port collection is a fucking hackjob, holy shit. As far as I can tell you can't even get back to the game selection after you make a choice. What the fuck?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
This port collection is a fucking hackjob, holy shit. As far as I can tell you can't even get back to the game selection after you make a choice. What the fuck?

Wow. It takes you all of 10 seconds to hit your PSN or Guide button to exit to dash. As far as I know, it's pretty universal for these collections to force you to reload the game. Except the MGS Collection, I think. But even in that one, they removed the option in an update for some reason in Peacewalker.

Domstercool

How does the save anywhere function work in dmc1? I just farmed a shitton of orbs and I need to go somewhere.

If you use the save from the options menu in game it will save all your orbs, but you will have to restart the chapter if you load the save, you'll still keep the orbs though. :)

Farm away. :)

Wow. It takes you all of 10 seconds to hit your PSN or Guide button to exit to dash. As far as I know, it's pretty universal for these collections to force you to reload the game. Except the MGS Collection, I think. But even in that one, they removed the option in an update for some reason in Peacewalker.

I dont think Peace Walker ever had the quit game option since in Japan it wasnt included with the collection.

burgerdog

If you use the save from the options menu in game it will save all your orbs, but you will have to restart the chapter if you load the save, you'll still keep the orbs though. :)

Farm away. :)

Awesome, thanks. I must have farmed about 20k orbs so I didn't want to lose all that progress.

TGMIII

Just finished streaming the whole collection on twitch....at least DMC 1&3. I seriously tried with 2 but I got as far as the infected tanks that couldn't hit me even if I was standing still and the building boss that couldn't hit me if I just slightly nudged the anologue and had to skip it. also why did the shotgun DESTROY everything in sight. DMC1 is still has fun as I remember it being but I forgot how sort it is.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think I broke my thumb fighting Infested Chopper. Nothing but mashing shoot, but that thing had ridiculous amounts of health. DTing and flying into its face barely even did anything.

I have no idea how DMC2 is so bad, and this is my first time. I can't even imagine how it would have felt to get this game on launch after DMC1. I just did mission 15, it took 25 minutes because it's just a big looping rehash of the first stage where you have to find 4 orbs, and I could not for the life of my figure out where it was. I had to actually DT and fly up on a random building to see it floating in midiar. And that entire stage was loaded with flying enemies and goat things...there's so much aeriel focus on the combat in 2, but you have NO MOVES in midair besides a kick > downslash, or just the downslash. What the fuck.

Do I have to complete dmc2 with Dante and the new chick? I'm not sure what the deal is with both characters.

I think you have to to unlock Hard.

Aselith

Your first HD collection?
Third. I have the MGS collection which I tried and could go back to the menu in the parts I had tried. And Sly Cooper which I guess you can't go back (I misremembered apparently as I thought you were able to.)

The menu thing was just kind of the straw that broke the camels back though. The cutscenes looking really bad plus the horrible looking selection menu plus the whole thing feeling like a minimum of effort apllied really soured me on this one.

After experiencing the other two games which feel like they tried to make nice package for people, this collection just doesn't seem good at all. I just seems really lame.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think I broke my thumb fighting Infested Chopper. Nothing but mashing shoot, but that thing had ridiculous amounts of health. DTing and flying into its face barely even did anything.

I have no idea how DMC2 is so bad, and this is my first time. I can't even imagine how it would have felt to get this game on launch after DMC1. I just did mission 15, it took 25 minutes because it's just a big looping rehash of the first stage where you have to find 4 orbs, and I could not for the life of my figure out where it was. I had to actually DT and fly up on a random building to see it floating in midiar. And that entire stage was loaded with flying enemies and goat things...there's so much aeriel focus on the combat in 2, but you have NO MOVES in midair besides a kick > downslash, or just the downslash. What the fuck.

Time has not been kind to DMC2. Back then I thought it was mediocre, now I just think it's flat out bad. The fact that it's now on the same disc as DMC1 and 3 is not doing it any favors either. What a hilarious contrast that is.

Himself

How many chapters in DMC1? I am hooked on this thing and I'm trying to decide whether to take a break and let my eyes rest or polish it off. I'm on chapter 17 I believe.

This game had a brutal learning curve for me for some reason. probably because I was trying to play it like Bayonetta. The first time through I only got to chapter 5 and the clock said about 2.5 hours. I restarted and got better and now I'm at ch. 17 in about 3.5 hours total. This game is addicting!

Papercuts

Time has not been kind to DMC2. Back then I thought it was mediocre, now I just think it's flat out bad. The fact that it's now on the same disc as DMC1 and 3 is not doing it any favors either. What a hilarious contrast that is.

Yeah, I can see how it'd only be mediocre at the time. My one friend said he actually started with 2 and got into the series from it, but he can't believe he ever used to be able to stand it. The camera is pretty frequently worse than 1 somehow, you have way less moves at your disposal, the level design is a giant confusing clusterfuck. One of the stages started with me fighting some floating electrical orb in a weird circular room, I could not tell what the hell I was doing with the way the camera was angled.

I forgot how much I really like DMC2 Dante's character design despite everything else.

Yeah, the design is still great. The actual character is eerily quiet though.

DMC2 is worse than what most people get credit for. It is just a bad game flat out, I don't even give it praise for being a "middling action game". It is not a middling action game, it is just flat out bad.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
DMC2 is worse than what most people get credit for. It is just a bad game flat out, I don't even give it praise for being a "middling action game". It is not a middling action game, it is just flat out bad.

Back then, DMC1 and 2 were the only games in this genre so there wasn't much to compare it to. Ninja Gaiden and God of War hadn't come out yet. If a game that played exactly like DMC2 came out today, it would get absolutely eviscerated by fans and media. Ninja "CAAAAAAANAAAAA" Gaiden 3 isn't nearly as bad and it got destroyed.

Back then, DMC1 and 2 were the only games in this genre so there wasn't much to compare it to. Ninja Gaiden and God of War hadn't come out yet. If a game that played exactly like DMC2 came out today, it would get absolutely eviscerated by fans and media. Ninja Gaiden 3 isn't nearly as bad and it got destroyed.

I have a theory that great games are always great but middling games become awful. I mean I have a stack of genesis games right here and some of them were obviously middling when they came out but are near unplayable now. But Contra Hard Corps is still... well.. the name describes itself I guess - hardcore.

Papercuts

Finished DMC2. Should I play through as Lucia?

I did the first level with her and she seems a lot more fun than Dante. Still not saying much, but Dante is fucking terrible in this game.

I've noticed I play DMC2 a lot like Zelda. Constantly rolling in the hopes I'm actually moving faster!

Does it help to make the narrative less shit?

No I am saying that DMC2 sucks so bad that I recommend you play and master DMC1 & DMC3 before playing anymore DMC2. If your looking for any sort of narrative you picked up the wrong video games.

The narrative in the DMC games involves laughing at bad cutscenes in your first playthrough and then pressing start immediately on subsequent playthroughs.

Jarmel

Banned
No I am saying that DMC2 sucks so bad that I recommend you play and master DMC1 & DMC3 before playing anymore DMC2. If your looking for any sort of narrative you picked up the wrong video games.

I've never seen a game having less of a coherent story. Ever. Scenes and levels have literally no buildup. Make absolutely no sense.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've never seen a game having less of a coherent story. Ever. Scenes and levels have literally no buildup. Make absolutely no sense.

I haven't played these yet but do they give Vanquish a run for it's money in lack of coherency?

Jarmel

Banned
I haven't played these yet but do they give Vanquish a run for it's money in lack of coherency?

They give a handful of cutscenes and those feel like they're missing important background info. Levels randomly fucking happen. There is no transition/transportation scene, nothing to indicate what the hell is happening.

Vanquish, while bad, had some sort of cohesive narrative. DMC2 feels like pieces of a shitty story was cut out.

Raonak

Banned
Someone asked me what order the DMC games go in.

and I said 3, 1, 2, 4 but then started wondering, dmc4 Dante and dmc2 Dante are sooo different. Barely seem like the same people.
Is it safe to assume that DMC2 now exists in it's own alternate universe? (aka - retconned)

unless DMC2 took place *after* dmc4, which would be weird, since dmc4 dante looks older(?) but it would make more sense personality wise.

Jarmel

Banned

and I said 3, 1, 2, 4 but then started wondering, dmc4 Dante and dmc2 Dante are sooo different. Barely seem like the same people.
Is it safe to assume that DMC2 now exists in it's own alternate universe? (aka - retconned)

unless DMC2 took place *after* dmc4, which would be weird, since dmc4 dante looks older(?) but it would make more sense personality wise.

What happens to Trish though? She's not in 2 at all.

Oh and which style is best for DMC3? I heard Royal Guard.

If you get good at Royal Guard it is pretty crazy (just look up videos). I am boring so when I played DMC3 I always really enjoyed Trickster (mostly because of Air Trick). Although having more offensive options is really fun too. All the styles are great!

Veelk

Banned

It does go 3,1,4,2 but that doesn't account for the personality change either.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Series timeline is 3,1,4,2. For all intents and purposes, it's 3,1,4 because they obviously never had any intention of picking up after DMC2. It's the Tokyo Drift of the DMC universe.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Royal Guard technically is the best, I suppose, but not for someone just starting. It requires you to be aware of attack patterns and know the timing of all enemies' attacks to be effective with it.

Trickster is the best newbie style. Followed by Swordmaster. Gunslinger can be difficult to use well.

Thanks for this. I was looking forward to seeing some more reviews.

Raonak

Banned

Well, she is playable in it. just not featured in the storyline. Her death was the only reasonable explanation for dante being so quiet in dmc2.

Stick with swordsmaster. trickster if you're not good at dodge rolling.

Royal gaurd requires you to master it to actually be helpful, but it's really fun to try get good at. some of the videos, goddam...

Top Bottom