• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

gunbo13

Man, I really want to play right now. It's ridiculous how much time you can invest into the game and not get bored. But I had plenty of moments not to long ago where I was telling Dahbomb how much I hate DMC3. lol

I'm scared of starting over with this HD version though. I'm going to be constantly trying to do moves that I haven't unlocked yet. :/

Dave1988

Refresh my memory: is the choice between Gold or Yellow permament in DMC3 SE, or can you change the checkpoint system later on?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Refresh my memory: is the choice between Gold or Yellow permament in DMC3 SE, or can you change the checkpoint system later on?

It's tied to the save. You'd have to make a new game to change the selection of Yellow or Gold.

Man, I really want to play right now. It's ridiculous how much time you can invest into the game and not get bored. But I had plenty of moments not to long ago where I was telling Dahbomb how much I hate DMC3. lol

I'm scared of starting over with this HD version though. I'm going to be constantly trying to do moves that I haven't unlocked yet. :/

Ah man, you don't have it yet? Whyyyyyy? I don't think it would be too bad. Just taking a minimalist approach and trying to be as stylish you can given the available moveset. Honestly, plowing through the game, then farming Vergil 3 is the best way to upgrade everything, probably. You'd still have to do Bloody Palace or something to level styles, though.

gunbo13

Ah man, you don't have it yet? Whyyyyyy? I don't think it would be too bad. Just taking a minimalist approach and trying to be as stylish you can given the available moveset. Honestly, plowing through the game, then farming Vergil 3 is the best way to upgrade everything, probably. You'd still have to do Bloody Palace or something to level styles, though.
I have it...sorta. It's waiting to be picked up. I'll get to it but I got a few others things to do first.

Oh man, DMC1 is so good. Like, even better than I remember it. While it may not have the deep combat system of the later games, the enemy design and the way it works against your skillset just feels so incredibly focused. What a masterclass in game design. Hat's off to Kamiya and the rest of the team.

I am currently at Mission 12 and have not gotten lost or died even once on Normal difficulty. Haven't played the game for at least 8 years I reckon, so I'm surprised I haven't gotten rusty at it. I guess all of that DMC4 Bloody Palace warm-up worked wonders.

Edit: Death Scythes are reaaaaaaally giving me a run for my money, though. God damn these guys are tough.

Carbonox

DMC1 takes some getting used to after not touching the original for several years. I find the menus and some of the cutscenes with the black borders a bit irritating as well.

Otherwise it's just as awesome as I remember it.

Carbonox

Phantom killed me during my first go. How I've missed him. Proceeded to stomp the punk ass Decepticon in the second round. Shadow and Nelo Angelo are just as easy as I remember them though.

Dahbomb

Death Scythes are reaaaaaaally giving me a run for my money, though. God damn these guys are tough.
Check for the guide in the OP which has my name on it with the link. Scroll down to the Death Scythe section.

IMO Death Scythe is one of the most underrated and overlooked enemies in DMC. By that I mean most people tend to just spam Helm Breaker/Killer Bee without trying to understand the enemy as he is way more complex than he appears. Like for example people don't know that Nightmare Beta ignores his defense unlike other firearms nor do they know that when he is fully loaded with scythes he is actually more vulnerable.

He is one of those rare enemies which "levels up" the longer the fight goes on. It's similar to the Blades, not many people know that the Blades get more aggressive when Dante is at red health (it's the scent of blood ability) nor do they know that it's possible to "one hit kill" them aka a critical hit. It's little touches like these is why DMC1 still is the pinnacle of enemy designs in an action game.

This thread feels like I have gone back in time to the more awesome years of DMC. Thank you GAF and DMC HD for allowing me to relive these years.

tear_of_joy_e.jpg

G-Fex

called off today, so ready to play some more finally.

Also after catching a stream of 3 it made me realize how much I hated Dante there. But how fun the gameplay looks.

Check for the guide in the OP which has my name on it with the link. Scroll down to the Death Scythe section.

IMO Death Scythe is one of the most underrated and overlooked enemies in DMC. By that I mean most people tend to just spam Helm Breaker/Killer Bee without trying to understand the enemy as he is way more complex than he appears. Like for example people don't know that Nightmare Beta ignores his defense unlike other firearms nor do they know that when he is fully loaded with scythes he is actually more vulnerable.

He is one of those rare enemies which "levels up" the longer the fight goes on. It's similar to the Blades, not many people know that the Blades get more aggressive when Dante is at red health (it's the scent of blood ability) nor do they know that it's possible to "one hit kill" them aka a critical hit. It's little touches like these is why DMC1 still is the pinnacle of enemy designs in an action game.

This thread feels like I have gone back in time to the more awesome years of DMC. Thank you GAF and DMC HD for allowing me to relive these years.

tear_of_joy_e.jpg

My favorite thing about Blades is that they're a super-aggressive enemy whose main weakness is being juggled (especially since High Time can raise about three of them at once if they're surrounding you). They're like the quintessential melee-focused DMC enemy that sums up precisely what's so great about the combat.

gunbo13

My favorite thing about Blades is that they're a super-aggressive enemy whose main weakness is being juggled (especially since High Time can raise about three of them at once if they're surrounding you). They're like the quintessential melee-focused DMC enemy that sums up precisely what's so great about the combat.
My favorite enemy in all DMC games.

Dahbomb

My favorite thing about Blades is that they're a super-aggressive enemy whose main weakness is being juggled
Their main weakness is that if you launch them from behind and then knock them back down/away or blast them down with the grenade gun, it exposes their back which you can slash down on to kill them instantly as that is their exposed part. You know you did it right if they die screaming in a rather gory death.

ScOULaris

Does anyone else think it's kind of bullshit that you can't select the original controls for DMC1? I'm all about them adding a new control scheme, but not allowing us to play it with the original controls is kinda stupid.

Carbonox

Can't believe I still remember where all the spots for secret bundles of red orbs are (where you stand on top of something or stand underneath a particular point, etc.) after all these years. :lol

I think I already have around 1/3 of the game's trophies now...

zero_suit

Does anyone else think it's kind of bullshit that you can't select the original controls for DMC1? I'm all about them adding a new control scheme, but not allowing us to play it with the original controls is kinda stupid.

The original controls kinda sucked, though.

Torraz

Never played DMC 1 and 2. Really liked 3, except for
that one chapter with the persistent time limit or something like that

This might be the second HD remaster, after ico/sotc, that I will purchase.

Welp, beat DMC1 on Normal, I'll go Hard in a bit, but for now... it's Devil May Cry 2. Anything I should know, going into this terrible game? I didn't play past the
Helicopter
when I was a kid.

burgerdog

Beat Lucia's disc in 2 hours. Going to do Dante's side now and get this shit over with so I can start dmc3 later today.

First time playing DMC 1, is there no mission select menu? Also there doesn't seem to be an option to say no when the yellow orb screen comes up when you die. Do I have to exit out of the game?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
First time playing DMC 1, is there no mission select menu? Also there doesn't seem to be an option to say no when the yellow orb screen comes up when you die. Do I have to exit out of the game?

Unfortunately no Mission Select and no Quit Option from the Yellow Orb screen. You have to use the orb, then quit and reload.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The DMC3 difficulty stuff on the last page was interesting. I knew about the gold/yellow orb change, but not that the basic normal was equivalent to hard. I never actually played SE, but I do remember 3 being pretty tough right at the start and I saw a lot of people online not able to handle it.

IIRC you win a chapter select menu, but only after you've first beaten the game on Normal and then on Hard.

Dahbomb

Yeah difficulty is definitely selectable, you aren't forced into Hard or DMD unless you actually chose the option. You can easily go into Normal or even Easy mode if you want after beating the game.

Welp, two first deaths on Normal were both on Nightmare 3. Big surprise. Beat him on the third attempt though, but god damn I got nightmarish flashbacks to DMD mode N3 :'(
This will not end well for me...

One secret mission to go! Not sure how many blue orb fragments I've missed though.

Has it been announced whether or not these games will be released individually on PSN. I'm really only interested in DMC3.

Also, am I the only person that loved DMC4? Repetition of bosses and areas aside, I loved the difference between the Nero and Dante playstyles, and LOVED being able to switch up Dante's attack styles on the fly, mid-combo.

Alright, done with DMC1 on Normal. Took me 5:34:XX to complete, not too shabby for a game I haven't touched in 8 years. Will play through each game on Normal first, I think. Tackling Hard + DMD at once would be a bit... yeah.

The port feels really nice. Had some minor framedrops when there was LOTS of stuff on screen but aside from that it was all perfect. Controls were as responsive as they are in the original, I'd say.

Mechazawa

Man, why did I think that I have the nerves to play DMC1. I'm way too much of a wimp.

Guess it's straight to CRAZY PARTY for me.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Man, why did I think that I have the nerves to play DMC1. I'm way too much of a wimp.

Guess it's straight to CRAZY PARTY for me.
The nerves? What do you mean :p?

Mechazawa

I got freaked out just listening to that weird, ambient gala music in the first room of Mission 1. DMC4/the beginning of DMC3 didn't give me that issue.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
XD That's awesome. That reminds me... DMC1 was originally going to be a RE-clone, I think?

Has it been announced whether or not these games will be released individually on PSN. I'm really only interested in DMC3.

Also, am I the only person that loved DMC4? Repetition of bosses and areas aside, I loved the difference between the Nero and Dante playstyles, and LOVED being able to switch up Dante's attack styles on the fly, mid-combo.

I loved it quite a bit, but right now I have no saves for it and replaying everything is daunting....compared to a game that doesn't double back on itself.

burgerdog

Mission 14 as Dante fucking sucks in dmc2. 30 minutes down the drain. I was only able to find two out of the four orbs I need to hit.

Carbonox

Normal mode in DMC1 done, 1/3 of the way through Hard. Everything's flooded back so it's too easy for me now. :( DMD is always a bitch though so I look forward to the challenge there.

Gonna have to do an Easy mode run to make it quicker getting the full health trophy and to do all the secret missions.

The only other thing I'm confused by is the enemy entries achievement. What determines how you fill up the entries? Makes no sense.

Anyway, another 2 play-throughs on Easy then DMD, plus finishing off Hard and I should have the Platinum. Then on to DMC2. Booyah!

Jarmel

Banned
Mission 14 as Dante fucking sucks in dmc2. 30 minutes down the drain. I was only able to find two out of the four orbs I need to hit.

Couple are on the rooftops. Just explore the shit out of them. One you have to jump through an archway like on the first mission and another is down a random alleyway. It's bullshit but there it is.

gunbo13

XD That's awesome. That reminds me... DMC1 was originally going to be a RE-clone, I think?
It's in the OP
OP said:
Devil May Cry was an accident and a very welcome one. Hideki Kamiya and crew were assigned the next Resident Evil game (RE4 at the time) following the success of the series. “Team Little Devil” went to work but found their direction was ending up radically different in reference to the mechanics from the RE titles. A reported bug during development of Onimusha: Warlords where characters were juggling on hit has also been stated as the inspiration for DMC’s famous juggle mechanic. The team decided to take on the new direction and create DMC as opposed to what likely would have been the 4th entry in the RE franchise. The new development cycle resulted in a Playstation 2 release.

Top Bottom