• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Setero

Neo Member
At the same time, Itsuno and Company were working on an "unnamed" action game using the Capcom engine for the PS2 at the time. They were I would say about 20% done with the game when the Capcom heads came up to them and told them "turn this game into DMC2, you have about a year and make this game super easy because people complained about DMC1 being hard". Budget and time was limited so the dev team had to turn their game into DMC2 really fast.

Didn't Kamiya say on twitter that Itsuno only came in at the end? Did someone say otherwise?

Dahbomb

He basically came after the game started being made into DMC2. Basically when Itsuno started working on DMC2, he didn't really have enough time to even make it a good game or DMC like.

No one should put up with that shit. The game is ass. The people who made DMC2/DMC3 aren't especially when most of them went on to work on DMC4 (also a very good DMC game) and are now working on Dragon's Dogma.

I've been interested in dragon's dogma but now that I know it's the dmc3 team I'm more hyped ....ooh my poor wallet

Nemesis_

Uggh. I am trying to critical the Shadows.

Is it even doable in Hard Mode?

(The whole standing on the spear thing)

(Also does anyone have any idea how to get Griffon's 9th enemy file. Or how to get a Fetish to jump on you? >_>)

Well, half-way through DMC1 DMD No Items. I cannot believe how much better I am at this game than I was back in the day. I remember these enemies giving me way more trouble than they are now. Guess all of that DMC3 and DMC4 practice translate into this game as well.

Griffon 3 however... Does not. Fuck. Around.

Ok, Griffon himself isn't much of a problem. But this fucking camera. Why is the camera looking at ME when I need to see what attacks HE is doing so I can dodge them? What in the fucking christ. Any tips on how to cheese him down? Not willing to deal with this shit.

Edit: Okay, Meteor Level 2 is definitely the way to go. Flock off, Featherface!

Edit edit: I finally hit a solid wall face-first. Nelo Angelo 3 is completely obliterating me. Three strikes and you're out while I'm pretty much only chipping him with Ifrit. At least Meteor sometimes gets him down from his perch, but it's not always that you have enough time to do it.

Aske

Edit edit: I finally hit a solid wall face-first. Nelo Angelo 3 is completely obliterating me. Three strikes and you're out while I'm pretty much only chipping him with Ifrit. At least Meteor sometimes gets him down from his perch, but it's not always that you have enough time to do it.

Is there anything in particular that you're having trouble with? Rolling Blaze is your best friend in this battle. It will nullify his Summoned Swords when he flies out of reach, and it'll parry his sword slashes when he gets close, letting you follow up with an attack. Focus on countering his attacks, staggering him, then laying in a Kick13 auto-combo. Whether you create an opening or simply wait for one, Killer Bee gets you where you need to be before he can recover. Great way to hit him in the back, depending on your position. My B&B combo for this fight was a Rolling Blaze at the right moment, then Killer Bee into a DT for the attack. If I recall correctly, I think you can also hit him with at least one fully charged Meteor if you power it up the second the battle starts.

Dahbomb

There is a link in the OP to my guide. Scroll down to Nelo Angelo section.

Basically the cliff notes are:

*Rolling Blaze to destroy his swords and parry his physical attacks to expose him
*Killer Bee to get in when he is exposed, otherwise jump a lot when he is slashing around
*Magma Drive to break his guard when he's blocking (you don't have to charge it)
*Kick 13 Auto Combo and Inferno for damage.
*Grenade Gun + roll constantly to gain meter at long distances
*Meteor to drop him from his perch of course, you don't even need to charge it

There is a link in the OP to my guide. Scroll down to Nelo Angelo section.

Basically the cliff notes are:

*Rolling Blaze to destroy his swords and parry his physical attacks to expose him
*Killer Bee to get in when he is exposed, otherwise jump a lot when he is slashing around
*Magma Drive to break his guard when he's blocking (you don't have to charge it)
*Kick 13 Auto Combo and Inferno for damage.
*Grenade Gun + roll constantly to gain meter at long distances
*Meteor to drop him from his perch of course, you don't even need to charge it

But I'm doing all of those already :(

Edit: Phewwwwwwwwwwwww, finally got him. Took me like 50 tries.

Paragraph 9 - The magic circles absorb the evil spirits from the lighting to
release a powerful electrocution attack. When this attack is
released, a wise countermeasure is to concentrate on dodging.

Method - Watch it use the move.

Not sure on this, as I haven't done it, but it's what I found online.

In theory, you should be able to critical the Shadows; are you using DT when you land on the spear?

I'd also like to know how to provoke a Fetish to jump on you.

Carbonox

Can't believe I've never seen these before (Guy S ranks DMD without getting hit once):

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1DDAA592333D69A7&feature=plcp

The guy knows how to play DMC1 furrealz. Will come in handy for me once I do my DMD run as well. Some sexy tips and tricks as well to get the most out of each mission.

EDIT: Holy shit at making Phantom his bitch. Completely got Phantom stuck in an animation loop from the Helm Breaker.
EDIT 2: He destroyed that 3 Shadows secret mission without breaking a sweat. Really makes them look weak. :lol
EDIT 3: The shit did he do to Nelo Angelo? How'd he sword cancel and basically trap him in an infinite combo? Haha

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It does have New Game + to a degree. Once you finish the game, it will start again on the next difficulty up, carrying over health, etc.

I was just playing through my New Game+ a couple days ago. The Normal mode went to the Hard mode.

Sorry, I should have phrased that better. I thought that I might be able to go through on Normal again to complete all the Secret Missions and File Entries that I missed. No biggie. I would have been more careful on my first playthrough though, had I known. I just forgot how it worked in DMC1.

Dahbomb

Can't believe I've never seen these before (Guy S ranks DMD without getting hit once):

The guy knows how to play DMC1 furrealz. Will come in handy for me once I do my DMD run as well. Some sexy tips and tricks as well to get the most out of each mission.

EDIT: Holy shit at making Phantom his bitch. Completely got Phantom stuck in an animation loop from the Helm Breaker.
EDIT 2: He destroyed that 3 Shadows secret mission without breaking a sweat. Really makes them look weak. :lol
EDIT 3: The shit did he do to Nelo Angelo? How'd he sword cancel and basically trap him in an infinite combo? Haha

I can do all of that, someone just fly me over some recording equipment.

I talk about the sword cancels in my guide. It's basically slash, slash, twirl the stick really fast, slash, slash. There are other combinations of this and if you time it right it makes an uninterrupted attack string and Nelo Angelo basically only recovers if he is hit by something that knocks him back or if Dante hits him with something that has a lot of recovery.

There is a way to critical hit Mundus and Griffon 3. I may have left it out in the guide because I didn't want to put everything in.

If you want to make Shadows your bitch, use Nightmare Beta.

Wait a minute, I just watched the channel... that isn't an S rank run that's a SB run on DMD mode (Special Bonus basically equivalent to SS run on DMC3). That is really hard and my skills right now may not be up to that task yet.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DMC1 in HD looks stunning. Shows you what good art can do. Good art with a simple upres = whole new game for a whole new generation to enjoy. Lovely game.

burgerdog

No PSN+ or Xbox Live Gold backup I take it? Bad luck, dude.

No. I should really set that up one of these days if it can save me from a situation like this in the future.

Damn that sucks dude. Do what I do, make save 9 backup Dante save, and use save 10 for Vergil.

Good idea, I'm going to do a hard mode dry run with Dante and take it from there. It just sucks having to start all over and getting all the weapons again.

Carbonox

Finished Hard mode in DMC1 and am now at mission 5 of DMD. S ranked the first two missions and then it went downhill from there as I was testing new techniques (some from the Joch videos) on the bosses. Phantom goes down really quick with Helm Breaker and Nelo Angelo obviously suffers from the brutal 'infinite' double hit chain. Can't wait to test out other nonsense.

Alright. Final actual stage in my DMC1 DMD No Item run. Mundus took me 8 months to defeat when I was younger. Nightmare 3 took me about 5 months back in the day. I just beat him in 3 attempts. Yeah. Something tells me the margin of error against Mundus is a bit worse to deal with, though.

Edit: Well, after a few tries, I feel like I have Mundus 1 down pretty okay. Need to spam that friggin' attack button. Mundus 2 was down to 20% HP a few times so I know I can do this.

Edit 2: Scratch that. 10% HP now.

Edit 3: And there we fucking go. DMC1 DMD No Item run is officially DONE. Now to get the two remaining trophies. After a break, that is. Ima go ly dow...

Nemesis_

Not sure on this, as I haven't done it, but it's what I found online.

In theory, you should be able to critical the Shadows; are you using DT when you land on the spear?

I'd also like to know how to provoke a Fetish to jump on you.

Do you have to use Devil Trigger? Seems it decreases my accuracy =/

Griffon....I read that too, but I have basically run around for an hour during the battle but he never seems to use the attack. I'm thinking maybe it's not in the third battle. So bizarre that he WON'T USE IT though. Nobody seems to know either.

Dahbomb

I think it's the first Griffon battle where he does that move.

DT shots don't decrease your accuracy. Since you can actually see your shots it's shows where your shots are actually going.

Nemesis_

I think it's the first Griffon battle where he does that move.

DT shots don't decrease your accuracy. Since you can actually see your shots it's shows where your shots are actually going.

How depressing, I actually skipped that battle on my second playthrough (albeit accidently).

Will keep trying. Thanks dude!

EDIT: Been trying this for the PAST HOUR. I am beginning to think it's just not possible on Hard Mode? Is this calculate by luck or damage output? (IE Do I need to just "get lucky" or inflict a certain amount of damage before the Shadow dies and I unlock the file?)

How does the playthrough work - if I begin my third playthrough on Normal, get the file for the Shadow, then begin another, will my file save across? (similar to how Blue Orbs save across all games)

theDeeDubs

Despite my growing backlog, I broke down and got this yesterday. I find myself pretty good at Ninja Gaiden but have always considered myself complete shit at DMC. Not that being good at one would necessarily translate to another, but something about the playstyle makes NG easier for me to pick up. Maybe it's more defensive? Anyway, my goal this time around is to really sink myself into these and improve because I love them despite sucking at them.

Just a quick note@gunbo. That simple slide trick is making my jump cancels so much easier. I didn't think I could get used to a new controller config but it's starting to sinking in. Thanks.

Isn't that the guy that used to host the true style tournaments?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Anyone got any tips for
Nevan
in DMC3? This boss fight is draining me so much. Can't tell how many times I've died on it.

So, for the Blade enemy list entries - do I actually have to make them use a finishing move that kills me to get the red health attacks? They weren't doing anything at all when I was on red health but not in range of being killed (as I was doing my no yellow orb run).

123rl

I did it last night. I normally dread that fight but I got through it on my first effort. It's the same as every other fight - learn the cues for each attack and look for them. They are easy to learn.

Shoot to clear away the bats and when there's only a few left, run in and hack away. When her shield goes you can get in 3-4 good attacks until a black circle appears. When it reaches you then back away. Repeat until her energy goes down to about 30%. She'll then change attacks and teleport nearby and zoom towards Dante. Run away and jump to avoid as this attack heals her and does a shitton of damage. Just back off and shoot away until she dies.

Nemesis_

So, for the Blade enemy list entries - do I actually have to make them use a finishing move that kills me to get the red health attacks? They weren't doing anything at all when I was on red health but not in range of being killed (as I was doing my no yellow orb run).

I just sacrificed a yellow orb on my second run. It doesn't seem doable otherwise.

WOULD LOVE HELP WITH THE SHADOW ONE if you know =P Or the Fetish "Grapple" one.

Dahbomb

Joch was mostly known for his innovations in DMC1. There were few people who pushed the game as much as he did. I think he was also one of the first people who beat DMD using only E&I and Force Edge. That shit was on some other level. I am sure he continued his services and play in subsequent DMC games but for me he was the grand daddy of top DMC play.

TST had a lot of hosts and the first one was a brainchild of us at the IGN forums and Gamefaqs (me, Dantelink, Tatsumarublack, Gemasis and Pokey were some of the originals) which started with DMC3 and then continued with DMC3SE. I stopped adjudicating it due to college and studies but most of those guys continued for quite some time until the TST host changed especially when DMC4 rolled around.

I haven't seen a TST in quite a while. Last time I saw one for DMC4 my mind was blown at some of the new tech and the level of execution of some of these people. I have accepted that I cannot achieve that level of play anymore especially with my soon to be profession.

Also I wonder if DmC will be inducted to the TST. I mean we did have a brief honorary TST for DMC2 (there was some actual decent tech on display... it was still ass in comparison to DMC3).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
gunbo, good job with that video!

Dahbomb

Anyone got any tips for Nevan in DMC3? This boss fight is draining me so much. Can't tell how many times I've died on it.
Tons of ways to beat her.

Basically the way you want to approach the battle is to evade her projectile barrage attacks and make your way in although be ready for her close ranged attacks too. She likes to laugh a lot and this is your cue to attack.

You want to attack her with moves from weapons that remove her Bat shield. Despite popular opinion, most Nevan multi-hitting attacks are very powerful against her (if you have that weapon). If you are on Gunslinger style, Sphere from Artemis or Gunstinger from Shotgun are great ways to remove her shield very quickly along with Hyerstric/regular shots from Kalina Ann (again if you have it). If you don't have these moves/weapons, you must already have Cerberus Revolver which also does well against the shield.

There are moves where she will blanket the ground with electricity so you need style moves that keep you in the air for a really long time like Aerial Rave, Sky Dance or Rainstorm. Once you remove her shield, go hay wire with your melee attacks. She is elementally weak against the ice of Cerberus and the light based attacks of Beowulf (if you have it). A&R's Tempest/Twister might be super useful against her too as well as Ice Age to attack her while she is attacking you while also removing her shield (you are invincible during Ice age and TT usually places you safely away from her physical attacks). I have seen people dismantle her with RG too if you have the skills.

If this is your first time, I say use whatever style you have leveled up and equip Rebellion + Cerberus (and any gun combination but if you have a leveled up Gunslinger Shotgun or Artemis can be amazing against her). Try to get near her with Stinger or a Trickster move if you leveled up that style. Once near her use Cerberus Revolver to take out her shield. Then go off on her with Cerberus using the Combo II string with Satellite while in DT mode. This boss fight is really more about the evasion and learning her attack patterns which she has a bunch of. Also when she is exposed and you have done enough damage to her, get out of there as she will cover herself up. Don't try to spam Revolver once she is exposed as the hits usually miss and you lose out on a lot of damage.

The other most important thing about her is that near death she tries to charge you with her Embrace ability. DON'T FUCKING TOUCH HER! Stay away from her and when she comes and stops that's when you attack her. If you do get Embraced by her, turn on Devil Trigger immediately which will break the grab and you can start attacking her immediately.

Edit: I forgot and this might not apply to you but Vortex/Air Raid are also godlike against her especially Vortex.

I would add that for most DMC3 bosses there are a huge variety of ways to defeat bosses due to variety of weapons/styles. Even I don't know most of them and I usually apply fundamental mechanics to see which set ups might work. It's possible to beat any boss with any set up, it's just a matter of which set up one finds easier and effective.

Yay, DMC1 Platinum'd. Still have a New Game DMD LDK run to look forward to, but I'm off to DMC2 for now. Let's see if I can platinum it. Never played it before.

ScOULaris

The ports are fabulous. Some of the best HD ports IMO.
They are pretty glitch-free, which is nice, but these remasters are definitely not among the best (Ico/SotC, MGS, GoW: Origins). The fact that they didn't bother to re-render some of the best cutscenes or the menus in HD keeps this collection from standing among the upper echelon of collections.

That being said, it is still an absolute steal at $40.

Carbonox

Is it just me or is anyone else enjoying playing through the first one more than they did over 10 years ago when the game first came out?

It might be because I'm 10 years older and have a different perspective on what is one of my favourite games in my favourite series ever, but I'm playing this game in a more refined approach with a new found respect for everything that's been done in it. My understanding of how the game works and what can be possible in it is more advanced now.

When DMC1 first came out, it was a mind-blowing title renovating the action genre in an incredible way. An inspirational title (one of the most inspirational in god knows how many years). However, something clicks with me far more now than it did when I first set eyes on it. Again, it's probably because I played it then when I was 10 years younger.

Difficult to explain really.

Top Bottom