• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Himself

I figured the terribleness of DMC 2 was typical GAF hyperbole, especially coming from the extremely reactionary/passionate DMC fanbase (come on...DmC looks pretty good you guys). Man, oh, man was I wrong! This game is awful. In just about every way imaginable. The first 10 minutes or so seemed promising with Dante's new acrobatics and I was thinking this can't possibly be as bad as GAF makes it out be, but holy shit did it fall apart quick! And it just keeps getting even worse somehow. I've never come across an extreme GAF opinion that was so right. And I'm compelled to beat it with both characters! Ugh. It's almost stopping me from wanting to play 3 and 4, but I know better.

Playing this directly after the first, which is incredible, is just so jarring.

I figured the terribleness of DMC 2 was typical GAF hyperbole, especially coming from the extremely reactionary/passionate DMC fanbase (come on...DmC looks pretty good you guys). Man, oh, man was I wrong! This game is awful. In just about every way imaginable. The first 10 minutes or so seemed promising with Dante's new acrobatics and I was thinking this can't possibly be as bad as GAF makes it out be, but holy shit did it fall apart quick! And it just keeps getting even worse somehow. I've never come across an extreme GAF opinion that was so right. And I'm compelled to beat it with both characters! Ugh. It's almost stopping me from wanting to play 3 and 4, but I know better.

But when you finally play 3, everything is forgotten. Starting my Vergil run now.

DMC2 is one of the few games where literally after 5 minutes of playing I just said to myself "this feels off - in the worst way possible". Like they couldn't even get the basic feeling of moving & basic attacks right in anyway at all.

Dahbomb

Do people actually think that the fanbase actually "likes" hating on DMC2? It is what it is... a bad game that happened to be a sequel to one of the best games of all time. No way that it wasn't going to get the hate that it deserved and in this day and age I can't imagine the mess that would ensue if a blockbuster game ended up being this bad.

And ditto on DmC, we don't actually like hating on DmC but a lot of stuff in it is just bad for DMC in general. Some good too but a lot of bad hopefully some of it is rectified at their demonstration at Captivate.

Also, am I the only person that loved DMC4? Repetition of bosses and areas aside, I loved the difference between the Nero and Dante playstyles, and LOVED being able to switch up Dante's attack styles on the fly, mid-combo.
No you are not the only person. DMC4 has GOD TIER action game mechanics. The game's status for me truly elevated when I got the PC version and put in some real man hours into it. Game still retains the "the more you put in the, the more you get out of it" to the point where you could be a god of execution (be able to perform 50 properly timed inputs in 6 seconds) yet still not be able to do some of the stuff other people are doing in the game.

Canova

Banned
Now that graphic is on par, it's clear that DMC >> DMC3, the combat might be simpler, but the balance, the setting, the atmosphere, the enemies, more than make up for it

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah difficulty is definitely selectable, you aren't forced into Hard or DMD unless you actually chose the option. You can easily go into Normal or even Easy mode if you want after beating the game.

DMC1 just forced me into hard after normal, but I recall DMD being an option after hard. Is it possible to do normal again somehow?

0 HP

i doubt there is, but any difference between 360/ps3 versions? i played dmc1 on ps2 years ago, but im totally used to the 360 controller now from bayonetta

burgerdog

i doubt there is, but any difference between 360/ps3 versions? i played dmc1 on ps2 years ago, but im totally used to the 360 controller now from bayonetta

As far as I know they're the same. I have the 360 version and other posters have the ps3 version and there hasn't been any complaints from either side.

Dahbomb

Now that graphic is on par, it's clear that DMC >> DMC3, the combat might be simpler, but the balance, the setting, the atmosphere, the enemies, more than make up for it
What balance? And the graphics were pretty much always on par.

DMC1 just forced me into hard after normal, but I recall DMD being an option after hard. Is it possible to do normal again somehow?
What? That is fucked up, I totally don't remember this in DMC1. Been a long ass time since I played it of course. I guess maybe I am thinking of Hard to DMD mode.

Oh my goddd, DMC3 is so much better than I remember. Why is this game so amazing? Why isn't this being built upon for the next DMC?!

Going to try and remember which store I preordered the collection at and get it this weekend. Can't wait.

Oh my goddd, DMC3 is so much better than I remember. Why is this game so amazing? Why isn't this being built upon for the next DMC?!

No clue. :( hopefully there IS a next Devil May Cry.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I beat DMC2. Praise the lord. I cannot believe it only took me 3 hours and 5 minutes, that SERIOUSLY does not seem possible with how much that dragged on.

And holy fuck at the last boss. Literally a mashup of the previous shitty bosses in one ugly blob, perfectly describes the game. I even have a video I took of one segment of it that I'll upload tomorrow...good summary of the game I think.

burgerdog

I beat DMC2. Praise the lord. I cannot believe it only took me 3 hours and 5 minutes, that SERIOUSLY does not seem possible with how much that dragged on.

And holy fuck at the last boss. Literally a mashup of the previous shitty bosses in one ugly blob, perfectly describes the game. I even have a video I took of one segment of it that I'll upload tomorrow...good summary of the game I think.

I beat it earlier today, too. Yesterday as Lucia and today as Dante. I honestly don't know why people simply say that this is a bad dmc game, it is that and most importantly it is a bad video game overall. Forget bad action game, bad dmc, or what have you, the game simply not fun at all to play. It wasn't a rare occasion when standing still and mashing guns was by far the best strategy for a boss. Imagine trying to find the right strategy for a boss and you end up stepping on a certain spot where the boss simply can't reach you, it's like they didn't play test this at all. It took me 5 hours to beat total so for that I'm glad. I'll youtube Trish to see how she looks and plays in dmc2 because I will never play that game again.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I got freaked out just listening to that weird, ambient gala music in the first room of Mission 1. DMC4/the beginning of DMC3 didn't give me that issue.

Haha, my girlfriend will not watch me play DMC1 because it apparently freaks her out, the setting, the music and sounds everything! She is totally fine with watching me play everything else though.

She did laugh in the opening cutscene where Dante gets stuck with the sword.

Haha, my girlfriend will not watch me play DMC1 because it apparently freaks her out, the setting, the music and sounds everything! She is totally fine with watching me play everything else though.

She did laugh in the opening cutscene where Dante gets stuck with the sword.

I first played Devil May Cry 1 on the Halloween of release month with the lights off, and it seemed pretty fitting. Then again, I was at the age where things seemed a lot more immersive to me and I could really get into it. That was one of the most memorable experiences in gaming for me. The upgrade statue music is awesome and beautiful, by the way.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
As silly as it sounds, I would really have liked some avatar stuff for the DMC HD Collection. I mean, they do it for everyone other game out there. Even the RE4 HD remake had some avatar DLC. DMC related stuff if probably the only thing I would ever purchase on such a marketplace.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I'm having a really hard time going back to it. :(

I was on the Game Select screen for a few seconds, the cursor on DMC2... I thought about it for a moment, then quickly selected DMC3.

Oh man, I couldn't resist and just ended up rampaging through DMC1 Hard Mode in about 3-4 hours. Fully powered now aside from one last Purple Orb. Will only have the full enemy listing and Clear the game without using yellow orbs trophies left once I clear DMD.

Curufinwe

As silly as it sounds, I would really have liked some avatar stuff for the DMC HD Collection. I mean, they do it for everyone other game out there. Even the RE4 HD remake had some avatar DLC. DMC related stuff if probably the only thing I would ever purchase on such a marketplace.

I bought the Leon costume and don't regret it because it looks great. It's the only avatar stuff I have ever bought, apart from the Deus Ex HR sunglasses, but that was just because I wanted zero MS Points in my account for security reasons.

Dahbomb

I still don't get DMC 2 HD, didn't they claim they were adding content and fixing issues?
17950432.jpg

Question, anyone come across rips or screencaps of all the art in the vault yet?

*edit* I'm looking at the trophy list and I've never seen these 2 pieces of art of Lucia before. Despite how shitty DMC2 was I always liked Lucia's design. If those pics are in fact new then I think its pretty cool they went and made some new art of her for this collection.
sthelimit.png

026envogue.png

Dahbomb

That's a massive disservice to Devil May Cry 3.
They fixed 99% of the problems in DMC2. I made a list of some of them a few pages back.

They turned a fail game into a god tier game. A lot of people think that DMC2 and DMC3 were made by a different team, it's pretty much the same exact team plus a few people added here and there.

I wish more developers would start fixing their games like this.

They fixed 99% of the problems in DMC2. I made a list of some of them a few pages back.

They turned a fail game into a god tier game. A lot of people think that DMC2 and DMC3 were made by a different team, it's pretty much the same exact team plus a few people added here and there.

My mind has been blown. Congratulations to them then. They really took the feedback from players and reviewers and made DMC3 amazing.

I'm curious as to what the development teams ambitions were regarding DMC2, like seriously. Back then I really didn't care about what the thought process was in game development but now that I'm older/appreciate games more, I'm definitely curious as to what they were thinking.

Dahbomb

This is the true story behind DMC2 (confirmed by some of the people working on DMC and also by Kamiya):

DMC2 was never meant to be DMC in the first place. After Kamiya was done with DMC1, he moved on to his other game. During this time DMC1 was a run away hit and was Capcom's new golden franchise that they hit on. Instead of waiting for Kamiya to finish his game to work another DMC game, they thought it would be better to make a cash in DMC game.

At the same time, Itsuno and company were working on an "unnamed" action game using the Capcom engine for the PS2 at the time. They were I would say about 20% done with the game when the Capcom heads came up to them and told them "turn this game into DMC2, you have about a year and make this game super easy because people complained about DMC1 being hard". Budget and time was limited so the dev team had to turn their game into DMC2 really fast.

When you actually play the game and keep this in mind, it all makes sense. The open environments of some European city is very un-DMC like plus the enemy designs and bosses mostly look out of place. The mechanic of those Trigger hearts was also supposed to be the mechanic in the new action game but they made it as part of the DMC game. Basically, they added in Dante, some sound effects from the game, the trademark items, the style bar (even the style bar is garbage... "Don't Worry" WTF is this shit?) etc.

These guys barely even knew anything about DMC because Capcom developers rarely even intermingle (that's why you have crap like different netcodes across different Capcom fighting games). So after DMC2 was released the dev team was very saddened by the response to the game and then started a new game from scratch (DMC3 is on a completely different engine than from both DMC2 and DMC1) while also learning what DMC is about. Of course their perception on the game was sort of skewed by fan response, who wanted top tier action game mechanics and combos plus a stylish over the top Dante.. hence DMC3.

So yeah, it's no wonder DMC2 feels off when you play it even for like a minute.

This is the true story behind DMC2 (confirmed by some of the people working on DMC and also by Kamiya):

DMC2 was never meant to be DMC in the first place. After Kamiya was done with DMC1, he moved on to his other game. During this time DMC1 was a run away hit and was Capcom's new golden franchise that they hit on. Instead of waiting for Kamiya to finish his game to work another DMC game, they thought it would be better to make a cash in DMC game.

At the same time, Itsuno and company were working on an "unnamed" action game using the Capcom engine for the PS2 at the time. They were I would say about 20% done with the game when the Capcom heads came up to them and told them "turn this game into DMC2, you have about a year and make this game super easy because people complained about DMC1 being hard". Budget and time was limited so the dev team had to turn their game into DMC2 really fast.

When you actually play the game and keep this in mind, it all makes sense. The open environments of some European city is very un-DMC like plus the enemy designs and bosses mostly look out of place. The mechanic of those Trigger hearts was also supposed to be the mechanic in the new action game but they made it as part of the DMC game. Basically, they added in Dante, some sound effects from the game, the trademark items, the style bar (even the style bar is garbage... "Don't Worry" WTF is this shit?) etc.

These guys barely even knew anything about DMC because Capcom developers rarely even intermingle (that's why you have crap like different netcodes across different Capcom fighting games). So after DMC2 was released the dev team was very saddened by the response to the game and then started a new game from scratch (DMC3 is on a completely different engine than from both DMC2 and DMC1) while also learning what DMC is about. Of course their perception on the game was sort of skewed by fan response, who wanted top tier action game mechanics and combos plus a stylish over the top Dante.. hence DMC3.

So yeah, it's no wonder DMC2 feels off when you play it even for like a minute.

That was exactly the enlightenment I was looking for. God damn man thanks! It makes alot more sense now but it doesn't make it any easier for me to put up with that game.

Dahbomb

No one should put up with that shit. The game is ass. The people who made DMC2/DMC3 aren't especially when most of them went on to work on DMC4 (also a very good DMC game) and are now working on Dragon's Dogma.

EuroMIX

I'm about to open myself up to a lot of hate (as per usual), but I never hated 2 as much as everyone else. Mediocre, yes, especially when you put it against the other games in the series, but not broken to the level of Sonic '06 or anything like that; simply unpolished. What has been mentioned about the developers not really knowing what a DMC game should be like and trying to apply ideas from another game into it would explain why the game is the way it is.

I've actually always wished that we could have a game around Sparda and how he met Dante's mother and "found justice". Him having to assume a more limited human form while exploring the human world could be a nice inversion to what we are used to. I'm probably alone in this (and trying to remotely defend 2 is like the perfect way of killing any chance of people taking what you say seriously), so ho-hum...

"Flame-shield, activate!"

Chamber

love on your sleeve

You're acting like I don't know the story of DMC2. Saying 3 is just a fixed up version of 2 is a big insult to that game. They have nothing in common at all.

At the same time, Itsuno and company were working on an "unnamed" action game using the Capcom engine for the PS2 at the time.

Didn't Kamiya also say that Itsuno was only brought in very late to "salvage" the game, and that Capcom "rewarded" him by naming him director even though he wasn't involved with the game for most of its development?

Dahbomb

Dude I know that, it's a different game completely. But there are some traits from DMC2 that still made it in, like Rebellion being the default sword of Dante, moves like Rainstorm/Wall run and of course realtime weapon switch.

I am just saying that if I were tasked to basically "fix" DMC2 or make a new game like it... the best I or anyone could do is probably come up with DMC3. That's the whole idea of the joke... there is so many things to fix in DMC2 that by the time you get done fixing, it's a different game completely.

Top Bottom