• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Carbonox

Especially when some people seem to be serious in thinking that this looka worse than a 30 fps Unreal game and it's just hack and slash

The video is amazing. Looking at it reminds me of Dante's hitbox in UmvC3 lol I'm watching it on my phone so I can't see clearly but whatever he did to counter or evade those projectile blades was amazing

They're casual action gamers who liked the bread and butter stuff in the series and never explored what makes the series special, yet still feel they have an insight. So to summarise, their opinions are worth nawt. Frustrates the fuck out of me when people deem DmC's casual stance as "uh I don't see the difference between this and DMC4".

Devil May Cry 4 is one of the best action games around and is a gold mine for the hardcore.

Fuck this thread, now I want to play DMC4 again after I finish with the HD Collection. Y'all are on my hit list now! :p

They're casual action gamers who liked the bread and butter stuff in the series and never explored what makes the series special, yet still feel they have an insight. So to summarise, their opinions are worth nawt. Frustrates the fuck out of me when people deem DmC's casual stance as "uh I don't see the difference between this and DMC4".

Devil May Cry 4 is one of the best action games around and is a gold mine for the hardcore.

Fuck this thread, now I want to play DMC4 again after I finish with the HD Collection. Y'all are on my hit list now! :p
I share your frustration too. It's real discouraging to see people just get hyped on things that look flashy and have colors. And they say they hated previous DMCs. Anyway

I personally think the changes in the controls for DMC4 Dante is pretty brilliant and intuitive.

Dahbomb

Damnit, this thread is making me want to play DMC4 now. I never picked it up, despite being a long-time fan of the series, because of the ho-hum impressions at time of release and ridiculous 5GB install on PS3.
Let me just set the record straight.

There were 3 core reasons why DMC4 got ho hum impressions at time of release. 1 is that the hype from DMC3 got so ridiculous that DMC4 was hyped to insurmountable levels. No matter how good DMC4 would've been, it wouldn't have met with the hype. 2 is that having to repeat the same missions with Dante was a hyper killer for many especially for those people who just play games once and then toss them back. 3 was that for Dante he had less weapons than DMC3 which was a hype killer for the hardcore as we were promised more weapons.

Game felt like a disappointment at first and in some ways still falls short of DMC3... but after years of digging deep into the game the hardcores have realized that in terms of combat it's AT LEAST on par with DMC3. The PC version was instrumental in the revival of DMC4's worth in the fans eyes (although game still looks and plays well on the consoles). The enemies were well designed for the combat, you could perform combos for days on just about any enemy or boss which really opened the variety for various different types of comboable enemies. Both Dante and Nero had unique offerings in the combat and really added on top of DMC3 on a lot of fronts.

I would still say that DMC4 upon release was reviewed very fairly. It has it's issues but at it's core it has arguably the best combat engine of this generation. It's not a sand box action game in terms of combos... it's the fucking Sahara desert. If you are into that sort of stuff where the more you put into the game the more you want out of it... you are a FOOL to be skipping out on DMC4.

There were 3 core reasons why DMC4 got ho hum impressions at time of release. 1 is that the hype from DMC3 got so ridiculous that DMC4 was hyped to insurmountable levels. No matter how good DMC4 would've been, it wouldn't have met with the hype. 2 is that having to repeat the same missions with Dante was a hyper killer for many especially for those people who just play games once and then toss them back. 3 was that for Dante he had less weapons than DMC3 which was a hype killer for the hardcore as we were promised more weapons.

Game felt like a disappointment at first and in some ways still falls short of DMC3... but after years of digging deep into the game the hardcores have realized that in terms of combat it's AT LEAST on par with DMC3. The PC version was instrumental in the revival of DMC4's worth in the fans eyes (although game still looks and plays well on the consoles). The enemies were well designed for the combat, you could perform combos for days on just about any enemy or boss which really opened the variety for various different types of comboable enemies. Both Dante and Nero had unique offerings in the combat and really added on top of DMC3 on a lot of fronts.

I would still say that DMC4 upon release was reviewed very fairly. It has it's issues but at it's core it has arguably the best combat engine of this generation. It's not a sand box action game in terms of combos... it's the fucking Sahara desert. If you are into that sort of stuff where the more you put into the game the more you want out of it... you are a FOOL to be skipping out on DMC4.
I think this is the main reason for the DMC4 hate. Most people just tried to play Dante like Nero and thought they were being forced to play the game twice, when really Dante and Nero play completely differently.

Dahbomb

Dante also felt really weird/stiff after playing Nero. And most people were just overwhelmed by his options to really explore his combat first time around. Again, a fault of poor design that they didn't build up Dante like they did Nero from the ground up.

Turlast

Banned
Been playing DMC3 on the HD collection for the past few hrs, and I really love this game. It just feels good. Was getting my ass kicked a whole lot, but most of that was due to inexperience. I was trying to do moves like Sky Dance and Hammer in the beginning like it was Marvel 3, lol.

But yeah, can't wait to play more of DMC3 and the other two later.

I think the other thing that led to DMC4 being disappointing was that the boss battles weren't very good and were even less varied (I mean, Berial and Credo are fantastic, but yeah). This was coming off of DMC3 which was chock full of epic boss battles.

Carbonox

Aside from the following:

Beat DMC2 on Hard
Beat DMC2 on DMD
Beat DMC2 with Trish
Go past level 9000 in BP
Lucia-focused trophies

I've done everything else (Dante's trophies).

So I'm getting there. Once I finish up With Lucia's ones, I'll then burn through the difficulties and start on BP, then I'll have the Platinum. FUCK YEAH.

Progress. It's being made.

Himself

If I never have to fight Vergil again I'll be a happy man. These fights stick out like Cannibal Corpse on a reggae mix tape.

I actually really liked DMC 4 from a gameplay perspective. I even liked Nero as his story was very similar to Vergils. The only thing that truly pissed me off was that there was no Vergil in the game whatsoever after the clear support for him in DMC 3. He was the single reason a Special Edition of the game was created. Asked Dahbomb, the DMC board on IGN was solely responsible for the existence of that game.

Himself

What do you mean?

I know this probably sounds crazy to most people and I may just be venting my frustration at the moment. It just feels like the Vergil fights are so much more difficult than anything else in the game ( intentionally, I'm sure) that the only way I can beat him is to find the one weapon and one attack that works against him and just cheese it until he's down. I just can't get a good organic feel out of these fights. They're incredibly intense, much moreso than anything else in the game so they almost feel like they don't fit? I don't know.

I think I'm just venting because I'm pissed I can't beat him at the moment. Haha...

Ayways...back at it...I basically just took a break to pour a beer and come on GAF to bitch.

I know this probably sounds crazy to most people and I may just be venting my frustration at the moment. It just feels like the Vergil fights are so much more difficult than anything else in the game ( intentionally, I'm sure) that the only way I can beat him is to find the one weapon and one attack that works against him and just cheese it until he's down. I just can't get a good organic feel out of these fights. They're incredibly intense, much moreso than anything else in the game so they almost feel like they don't fit? I don't know.

I think I'm just venting because I'm pissed I can't beat him at the moment. Haha...

Ayways...back at it...I basically just took a break to pour a beer and come on GAF to bitch.

The Vergil fights really aren't that hard to figure out, honestly, though they get a decent bit more complicated on DMD. The game makes it pretty clear when you should and shouldn't attack him, and you can do it with pretty much any weapon setup (although Rebellion and Beowulf have the fastest/most ground-covering aerial and ground closing-in attacks respectively in Stinger and Killer Bee, which makes them very helpful in all three fights). Anyhow, he signals pretty clearly when you can and can't attack him; from there it's just a matter of being able to evade his attacks while remaining within range so you can attack him as soon as he's open.

No problem man, it does take time (unless you youtube the fights lol).

Himself

I'm sure people with more skill/finesse than I can do much more with the Vergil fights. Guess I kind of suck at DMC even though I can manage Bayonetta's Jeanne fights without much difficulty on Hard.

I killed 99 enemies during the credits! Damn it!

So glad I got to play these games. I'm gonna have to take a break from the series before I pick up DMC4, but 1 and 3 are just about as amazing as everyone said they would be.

I really, really hope NT gets the combat right for DmC because the art design looks great and I want another good entry (spin-off, whatever) in the series.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think the other thing that led to DMC4 being disappointing was that the boss battles weren't very good and were even less varied (I mean, Berial and Credo are fantastic, but yeah). This was coming off of DMC3 which was chock full of epic boss battles.

The only ones I really didn't like were Bael and Sanctus. Sanctus especially was a lame final boss for a DMC game.

Carbonox

Lucia's nice to play as and makes a change after getting so used to Dante in Devil May Cry 2. However, she's pretty weak and not as fun to play as. In the last secret mission, you're up against Bolverk and his wolves. A pretty slow fight for sure.

Anyway, I still maintain that Devil May Cry 2 is a better action game than Heavenly Sword and Ninja Gaiden 3. :p At least I can have fun with this.

Nemesis_

Aside from the following:

Beat DMC2 on Hard
Beat DMC2 on DMD
Beat DMC2 with Trish
Go past level 9000 in BP
Lucia-focused trophies

I've done everything else (Dante's trophies).

So I'm getting there. Once I finish up With Lucia's ones, I'll then burn through the difficulties and start on BP, then I'll have the Platinum. FUCK YEAH.

Progress. It's being made.

Are you a TIME WIZARD? ;_;

Anyway, I still maintain that Devil May Cry 2 is a better action game than Heavenly Sword and Ninja Gaiden 3. :p At least I can have fun with this.

RigyR.gif

Carbonox

Devil May Cry 2 could well prove impossible to Platinum...

During some spare time I decided to piss about in Bloody Palace with Lucia. Well...

Let's just say I beat level 1301 just now and this particular level threw 6 DT Wolves at me at once, not to mention respawns and even fire monkeys who DT'd.

This will be tough getting to 9000...

Carbonox

Fuckers killed me on level 1701. 4-5 Abyss Goats spamming their shitty homing missiles from the air while all DT'ed leaves Lucia with next to nothing counter-wise.

I should fare a lot better with Dante though but I'll leave the Bloody Palace run last.

I think also, for the none hardcore player, dantes weapon selection was pretty weak compared to 3. I mean pandora and lucifer are amazing weapons in the right hands, but when compared to Cerberus, a&r, the rocket launcher and artemis, they seemed a bit lacking.

I personally missed the crazy combo extensions as well.

But what offended me the most was the change to dance macabre. Dante using his sword like a baseball bat? Wtf?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm sure people with more skill/finesse than I can do much more with the Vergil fights. Guess I kind of suck at DMC even though I can manage Bayonetta's Jeanne fights without much difficulty on Hard.

I killed 99 enemies during the credits! Damn it!

The trick to Vergil is to actually wait for an opening to attack (or bait an opening in his AI). The reason Vergil obliterates newcomers when they first fight him is because they engage him unsafely and they don't expect his range and counterattacks. You should be playing a reactionary game against Vergil. It's different from other bosses where you can gererally break their guard, or can squeak by with spamming inefficient attacks.

As for the credits, the guaranteed way to cheesing 100 enemies is to just spam Kalina Ann while jump canceling the shot recovery (assuming you're playing on Normal).

But what offended me the most was the change to dance macabre. Dante using his sword like a baseball bat? Wtf?

Honestly, I thought it fit with this older Dante who simply didn't have the motivation to spin on his sword anymore. You could feel the impact. Unlike a certain other game in development right now. :(

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, I'm guessing sales of this game would start showing up on the latest NDP since it broke street date? I'm really curious to see how it sold in the states.

Carbonox

So, I'm guessing sales of this game would start showing up on the latest NDP since it broke street date? I'm really curious to see how it sold in the states.

Probably have to wait until this month's results are released. Either way, I don't see the collection going far beyond a million WW, if at all. It's sold nearly 100k in Japan AFAIK though but won't rise much beyond.

Carbonox

About to face Trismagia on Hard mode in DMC2. Enemies pull out new moves in this mode, which shakes it up a bit, though they're still too easy to take down. The Bolverk battles are a bitch though due to the non-existant camera. Can't see anything 99% of the time.

Once this is done, only 4 more trophies to get!

DMC1. The shadow cat x3 secret mission is giving me trouble. Any tips?

DT handgun shots tend to get their orbs out quicker than anything else, from what I experienced. Though apparently the Nightmare Beta works best.

Once you have the orb out, two DT Stingers is all it takes to get them in to red. Then you just need to jump around like a lunatic until they explode. Rinse and repeat for the others.

The room is big enough so providing you focus on one at a time, you should be fine.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Probably have to wait until this month's results are released. Either way, I don't see the collection going far beyond a million WW, if at all. It's sold nearly 100k in Japan AFAIK though but won't rise much beyond.

It's probably been tracked as an April 3rd release. So you will have to wait for next month probably.

Yeah, you guys might be right. I'm hoping that this collection has long legs. I know it's silly, but it's important to me that a lot of people get to experience these games. I've bought copies for several of my friends as gifts.

About to face Trismagia on Hard mode in DMC2. Enemies pull out new moves in this mode, which shakes it up a bit, though they're still too easy to take down. The Bolverk battles are a bitch though due to the non-existant camera. Can't see anything 99% of the time.

Once this is done, only 4 more trophies to get!

If you have advice for approaching combat in DMC2, I'm like to have some. I didn't get very far before I was completely bored. I'm not even 100% how the inputs work (do you have to hold down attack for certain moves?) I'm guessing I'll need to get more proficient with it by DMD mode and Bloody Palace.

Carbonox

If you have advice for approaching combat in DMC2, I'm like to have some. I didn't get very far before I was completely bored. I'm not even 100% how the inputs work (do you have to hold down attack for certain moves?) I'm guessing I'll need to get more proficient with it by DMD mode and Bloody Palace.

I can only remember like 3 combos:

1. Triangle x4
2. Triangle x4 but press forward before the third hit
3. Triangle x4 but press backwards before the third hit

Something stupid like that.

For the best efficiency, just stick with one of the above and spam your best guns (max them out for an easier ride).

Definitely beat Hard mode though as Dante as you unlock Trish, who controls more like DMC1 Dante. Plus her Air Raid is auto-win as it can eradicate the health bar of a boss in a few seconds. Air Raid + Round Trip + L&O = win. I'll be using her during my DMD run as she'll make it very easy. I'll definitely get far with her in Bloody Palace too.

Yeah, you guys might be right. I'm hoping that this collection has long legs. I know it's silly, but it's important to me that a lot of people get to experience these games. I've bought copies for several of my friends as gifts.

Inputs in DMC2 for base combos:

R1+/\,/\,/\ (in air) = DMC2's version of Air Rave

Neutral /\ (in air) = Helm Breaker

The following on ground:

Analog Neutral: /\ /\ /\ /\
Analog in any direction: /\ /\ /\
/\ /\, Analog in any direction, /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
/\ /\ /\, Analog in any direction, /\ /\

These extensions apply to different attacks in Devil Trigger also

Then you have shotgun extensions:
(R1 pressed down) + /\ /\, []
(R1 pressed down) + /\, []
(R1 pressed down) + /\ /\ /\, []

Recently I've been having moments where I would question whether or not my love for games is the same as it used to be back in the PS2 days. I'd find myself not replaying games these days whereas I would play games like DMC3 3 or 4 times. What I'm getting at is, experiencing DMC and DMC3 especially I find myself feeling like back in the day, I'm enjoying DMC3 to the point where I can replay this a couple of times consecutively without getting bored and that says a lot. That isn't me saying I don't like this generation of games, I'm just saying that playing DMC3 again has taken me back to a time where I REALLY enjoyed gaming.

zero_suit

Recently I've been having moments where I would question whether or not my love for games is the same as it used to be back in the PS2 days. I'd find myself not replaying games these days whereas I would play games like DMC3 3 or 4 times. What I'm getting at is, experiencing DMC and DMC3 especially I find myself feeling like back in the day, I'm enjoying DMC3 to the point where I can replay this a couple of times consecutively without getting bored and that says a lot. That isn't me saying I don't like this generation of games, I'm just saying that playing DMC3 again has taken me back to a time where I REALLY enjoyed gaming.

This gen is too multiplayer-focused.

Finished up DMC1 today. Started a hard run which I'll use to clean up the rest of the trophies (save for DMD, of course).

Started DMC2 aaaand... managed an S-combo at the first enemy set. Yeah, I'm guessing the rest of the game is like this? I don't know, the game always looked 'awesome' to my 13-year-old mind in those old Official PS2 mags, but I never got around to playing it after that. Think it got a 6/10 in the end so I stayed clear of it (I ended up buying MvC2 on a 7 and a half-page review so go figure). I still the look of Dante, the future setting, etc. Wall-running looked really cool back in the day and it still looks cool now, but it's pretty irritating having action and dodge on the same button. Reading about the Secret Missions sounds like they went a little crazy, too.

It seems like it's going to be a pretty straightforward run through so I'm going to stick with it, anyway. It's probably going to make DMC3 feel incredible too...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's probably going to make DMC3 feel incredible too...
DMC3 will feel incredible no matter what. However if you play it right after DMC2, it'll feel like touching God.

Carbonox

Trish is fucking broken. Her Round Trip + Luce & Ombra spam is just too much for any enemy or boss. This was on Hard mode btw. If you had her Air Raid as well, it's just beautiful to see everything disintegrate.

I have 3 trophies left to obtain to Platinum Devil May Cry 2. Obviously these are the most difficult:

Beat Must Die - I'm doing this on Lucia's "disc" as her missions are way shorter and there's less of them, plus Trish will destroy this.
Reach level 5000 in BP. Getting to 1702 was difficult enough but at least I now have Trish to abuse.
Reach level 9000 in BP. Yeah, this is where it will be stupidly difficult. Challenge accepted.

Sorry Devil May Cry 3 HD but I won't be touching you until I dominate Devil May Cry 2. :p

Carbonox

So playing as Trish in Lucia's parts counts as playing as Lucia achievement wise?

I'm not sure but you can beat Must Die mode with Trish and it will count (achievement says to complete the mode with any character). The Lucia-specific trophies though can only be done by Lucia herself, as only she has the Arsenals and an upgrade tree. Trish starts off maxed out.

I'm pretty sure you can use Trish to get the Bloody Palace achievements. Which is a plus, considering it's the easiest with her.

Does DMC2 have "super" characters?

Top Bottom