• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
  1. Vergil
  2. Nelo Angelo
  3. Agni & Rudra
  4. Cerberus
  5. Credo Angelo
  6. Nightmare
  7. Nevan
  8. Berial
  9. Beowulf
  10. Griffon
  11. Echidna
  12. Phantom

That's a very good list. I'm not sure I'd put Cerberus in my top 5. I actually think I'd put DMC4 Dante instead of Cerberus. I'd also move up Nevan and Beowulf a bit.

I loved the Credo Angelo design. Angel + demonic design, he has one wing and the other wing is his shield. He has a lot of cool abilities including a Summoned Sword style move set, his spear launch, parries and teleport/flight/dash. He's one of those bosses where you are at the edge of your seat all the time.

Of course story wise and build up wise, there is no tension to the boss fight whatsoever.

My top 5 is the same as Gunbo but my #6 is Beowulf. I would also swap Phantom and Griffon but the rest is solid. Vergil boss fight is so good that it was instrumental in DMC3's god tier status and it's my favorite ever. Every fight of Vergil in DMC3 was the story highlight of DMC3 before and after the fight so much that he became a fan favorite based on the godlyness of his boss fights.

If Despair Emodied and Bolverk were in other DMC games they would've been god tier bosses too based on design and story build up alone. Bolverk is one of the rivals to Sparda and fought him 2000 years ago similar to Beowulf/Berial. Despair Embodied is like a god tier demon rivaling the power of Mundus apparently.

Credo did have a nice concept design and extensive move variety, I'll give you that. I just wish he was executed better (and you got to fight him as Dante in the story).

Vergil is a standard by which all other boss fights are measured. Each fight was crafted perfectly, built up properly, the setting was always appropriately epic, and the evolution of the character was a parallel to your own.

LProtag

Well, I've beaten the first two missions without dying and I got B rank both times. No idea if that's good or not but it seems like it's certainly not bad. Still trying to get used to all the timing and pulling off High Time in an effective manner. When does the difficulty really start to ramp up?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Woah woah woah woah...

This is new to me (unless I saw it all those years ago) but did anyone else see this art in the DMC2 vault?

rKe5Bl.jpg

Would have loved for this to have been the boxart.

Heck, a poster or something, I dunno. I like it though.

DMC2 produced a lot of solid promotional artwork. One has to wonder why Capcom chose the boxart they did.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well, I've beaten the first two missions without dying and I got B rank both times. No idea if that's good or not but it seems like it's certainly not bad. Still trying to get used to all the timing and pulling off High Time in an effective manner. When does the difficulty really start to ramp up?

You're doing fine for your first run through. People often say that the difficulty ramps up a little at Mission 3. It's usually where people first die.

Carbonox

Just beat the tentacle fiend in Devil May Cry 2. Mission 4 or 5.

Man it's so jarring trying to learn the attacks when nearly everything has been overhauled. Such a pain in the ass.

I'd lie if I said I wasn't having some fun though but yeah, it's just as bad as I remember all those years ago.

gunbo13

Cerberus is just iconic mainly because of the demo and being the first real boss in DMC3. He was just soooo different then what everyone was used to. Using E&I to shed his shielding, the fact that he was mostly immobile, his trollish lunges, multiple attack points (feet, heads), blind spots, rage form, etc... He also made you use ALL of Dante's moves to avoid his attacks. You wanted to roll dodge his verticals, jump back away from his lunges, firearms to shed shield, and melee to drop fast damage. Because of the demo, he is my most played boss. Like a ridiculous amount of times and I still enjoy every second of the fight.

I don't count DMC4 Dante as a "boss." Even so, it was just a troll fight.

I like Nevan at #7. She isn't god tier like the others but she is definitely one of the best. I give Nightmare #6 due to the blobs variety. It has a shoot the core aspect that was actually damn fun. It made you jump into skull hell, kept you on your toes, and basically didn't stop barraging you with different stuff. It is a bit above Nevan mainly due to her inconsistency in attacks. Some of her patterns are just weak, while others are a chore. Her shoot the core is also a variety of her being stunned and wailing about.

Why is Beowulf #9 though? To be honest, I don't even know. In the past he would be top 7 but maybe I'm just tired of his fight. It's like a cage match but his attacks patterns are so formulaic. I like breaking cages, dodging his cheap ass projectiles, or rushing him down. But I don't necessarily want to fight him that much anymore. He hasn't aged well I guess. Berial is easy but just more fun. He is huge and designed perfectly for DB/trickster. You get to literally "style" on him, which is quite rare for DMC. Most bosses make you ditch a lot of your tricks but Berial is like, show me your stuff. And Nevan is just better then Beowulf. She is always fun to fight, even if you just cheese her out.

As for swapping Griffon and Phantom, I can see that. I just give Griffon and Echidna bonus points for their variety of flight. If I really do a pro/con, maybe Phantom takes over Echida cause I'm blinded by the fantastic MT graphics. But Griffon was DMC1 and fucking flew. It was a genuinely awesome massive flying boss from 2001. Sure, his off-screen stuff blew and it was more like a stage dodge. And Phantom is a more well designed fight...but Griffon was just like holy hell I'm fighting a huge hawk.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't count DMC4 Dante as a "boss." Even so, it was just a troll fight.

I dunno, I think it counts.

I liked how he had access to more weapons on each difficulty. The first time through, I was just excited because I finally got to see his gameplay since the tutorial level. I always liked it, despite the fact that you can essentially cheese out his A.I. with Devil Bringer/Buster.

gunbo13

I dunno, I think it counts.

I liked how he had access to more weapons on each difficulty. The first time through, I was just excited because I finally got to see his gameplay since the tutorial level. I always liked it, despite the fact that you can essentially cheese out his A.I. with Devil Bringer/Buster.
You're right but Dante is always a boss. So I refuse to acknowledge little Nero could even beat him in a match of any kind. I don't really like that fight though. :/

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You're right but Dante is always a boss. So I refuse to acknowledge little Nero could even beat him in a match of any kind. I don't really like that fight though. :/

It's definitely one of those fights that should have been better than it was. I just like it in principle since I've always been partial to "duel" bossfights. It was also the first time I saw him switch styles, which was a total mindfuck the first time through.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
While we're at it... Best looking Dante:

DMC2 > DMC4 > DMC1 > DMC3

Best personality Dante:

DMC3 > DMC4 > DMC1 > DMC2

gunbo13

Mine is almost the same but I prefer DMC1 Dante look > DMC4. And if we allow alts, then DMC3 > DMC4. DMC1 + coat-less = win. Personality one is accurate.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
My copy arrived today. DMC1 looks soooooooo good.

Hooray! Dive in!

Mine is almost the same but I prefer DMC1 Dante look > DMC4. And if we allow alts, then DMC3 > DMC4. DMC1 + coat-less = win. Personality one is accurate.

I still remember expecting a ton of alternates when beating DMC4 and getting none. :( And then assuming that Capcom was going to nickel and dime DLC costumes and those never came either.

gunbo13

My order for looks is the same as yours but for personality, I've changed it in to my order.
Hell no.

DMC1 > DMC4 > DMC3 > DMC2.
Go woohoo on a rocket somewhere else Dante.
Vergil: "Why do you refuse to gain power? The power of our father Sparda?"
Dante: "Father? I don't have a father. I just don't like you, that's all."

Cerberus: "You... are not human, are you?"
Dante: "Who knows? I'm not even sure myself."

Dante: "You sure know how to throw a party. No food, no drinks, and the only babe just left. "

Vergil: "You can't handle it."
[Leaps down and lands near Dante, pointing his sword to his neck]
Dante: "Look at you! Coming in with a big dramatic scene and stealing MY spotlight"
Vergil: "Well... you don't really believe that HE deserves to be our main event, do you?"
Dante: "Now that you mention it, you're right."

Dante: "What's your name?"
Lady: "I don't have a name."
Dante: "So what should I call you?"
Lady: "I don't care! Call me anything you want."
Dante: "Whatever, Lady."

Jester: "Oh, wait a moment! You don't really want to shoot me, do you? If you do... I'll die, you know."
Dante: "If that's what it takes to shut you up."

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I remember playing DMC2 the first time and completely loving it. Oh, youth - running on walls made a game instant-awesome.

Do you really have to unlock unlock Hard Mode in DMC3SE?! Seems like a huge oversight on their part.
It's like forcing me to play it on easy since I grew up on Vanilla.

Also, was the original DMC3 the same as SE with Turbo on or with Turbo off. It's off by default, but it felt super slow compared to what I remember.

burgerdog

Popped dmc4 in since I figured I might as well marathon the entire series and holy shit. This game aged beautifully. It looks 2012 good. Way ahead of its time.

Yoshichan

Popped dmc4 in since I figured I might as well marathon the entire series and holy shit. This game aged beautifully. It looks 2012 good. Way ahead of its time.
Yuuuuup, MT Framework is a fantastic engine. RE5 looks unbelievable too!

For me, the looks go

DMC 1 > DMC 4 = DMC 3 > DMC 2. I know it's an unpopular opinion but even if it looks cool DMC 2 Dante's look doesn't appeal to me in the same way that the others do.

I love Dante's personality in 1, 3 and 4 and can't really say any is significantly better than the rest. 1 is almost the perfect badass (while still remaining a fun attitude), DMC 3 Dante is one of the most entertaining characters I've seen in a video game and DMC 4 is pretty fun in his own right.

I remember playing DMC2 the first time and completely loving it. Oh, youth - running on walls made a game instant-awesome.
Wall running was the best part of DMC 2.

Carbonox

DMC4 is a beautiful game, even to this day. I was blown away by Berial when I first saw him. In-fact, I haven't actually played the game with an HDMI cable yet as when I last touched the game I didn't have one (dunno why, heh, it makes a big difference). So dunno what it looks like with a proper HD setup.

Dahbomb

Some how I always manage to exclude DMC4 Dante as a boss fight in my rankings.

It's a great boss battle for sure, probably one of the most dynamic boss fights in the series and in any other action game. Like if 5 people played through DMC4 for the first time they would have different Dante fight experiences. Probably the one fight I have said "Holy shit" at so many times on the account of different stuff he is able to do in it. Dante vs Dante in BP is also rightfully epic but too rare a fight to count and Dante vs Nero is filled with so many AI holes that it makes the fight very unfun.

It could've easily been Vergil boss fight good or better but no build up or tension and no real balance to it either. Plus Dante's style switches are so obvious, if he could just that whenever that would be bad ass. I still remember the first time he busted out that Pandora Laser on me from full screen and I was like "WTF!"

On the topic of Cerberus, this is usually controversial because most people don't see the greatness of this fight and sometimes get too bothered up by that one particular AI hole in him (the blind spot). If I could point out 1 boss fight in all DMC games that is representative of the series in terms of mechanics it would be Cerberus. It's one of those very few boss fights where you have to equally use melee and firearms to fight him while also being both offensive and defensive. There are more than one way to beat him and more than a few set ups to beat him with. He is also one of those boss fights which makes you APPRECIATE the New Game+ feature in DMC because one of the best set ups to beat him (Agni and Rudra + Doppelganger) is something you don't get until you beat the game. Cerberus also gets stronger as the fight progresses and he definitely gets harder in terms of attack rate, speed and recovery of moves on harder difficulties. Phantom was the first FIRST DMC boss fight of the series but Cerberus was the best first boss in the series. Berial is pretty good first boss too though.

burgerdog

DMC4 is a beautiful game, even to this day. I was blown away by Berial when I first saw him. In-fact, I haven't actually played the game with an HDMI cable yet as when I last touched the game I didn't have one (dunno why, heh, it makes a big difference). So dunno what it looks like with a proper HD setup.

Give it a go and see for yourself. Absolutely stunning. Remember that this game is 60fps, too, and it looks better than a lot of trash that's out these days that run below 30fps. We need this capcom back.

gunbo13

I got 1080p on 60" LCD with 16xQ CSAA.

Looks something like this:
2008 Graphics said:
Some how I always manage to exclude DMC4 Dante as a boss fight in my rankings.
I do the same. It just never got me, I forget, or something.
On the topic of Cerberus, this is usually controversial...
Not to me! Well...obviously. You're summary is better then mine but I feel the same. Cerberus is a DMC BOSS FIGHT. I favor A&R just because you are fighting possibly three different bosses in one fight. And it challenges all of your abilities, especially multi-tasking your inputs. They also don't have huge gaps or weaknesses that can be exploited without advanced knowledge. The fusion is a funny jerk move. But Cerberus is right after in terms of epicness and being a true DMC boss battle. Awesome stuff.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I was so excited when I saw Dante running on walls and shooting in two different directions in the first DMC2 trailer. No way that game could possibly disappoint.

Carbonox

I was so excited when I saw Dante running on walls and shooting in two different directions in the first DMC2 trailer. No way that game could possibly disappoint.

Yeah :lol

I'm on mission 10 now and good lord the game is too easy. The closest I've got to a challenge is Bolverk with his wolves. One of the better parts of the game IMO.

The worst boss in the game is Furiataurus though. Decent enemy design but holy shit he does nothing. He's literally as dumb as the T.Rex in Ninja Gaiden 3, if not worse. Makes zero attempt to get at you unless it's running in a straight line.

It's good to see DMC HD collection selling pretty well and still charting in Japan. It should be up there with MGS HD and RE HD collections. It also beat the living crap out of Ninja Gaiden 3 in Japanese sales, which is good news for both franchises if you really think about it.

burgerdog

What do you guys think would happen to DMC if Ninja Theory's DmC fails? End of the line for the series? Or would Capcom go back to it and do it in-house a few years from now?

Carbonox

What do you guys think would happen to DMC if Ninja Theory's DmC fails? End of the line for the series? Or would Capcom go back to it and do it in-house a few years from now?

They know the desire of the current fanbase so I doubt they will kill it off entirely. I think even they know that this is a test that isn't a guaranteed success.

However, their intent for the series to be even more popular will most likely remain so who knows what that would mean - go back to what people want and hope new adopters will come in or try another reboot of sorts, or maybe they will still stick with DmC if it sells decent (around 2m).

Really tricky situation. I definitely don't think they will kill it off entirely though.

DMC Secret Mission 5 was horrible in 2001 and it's horrible now. It's not enough to get the damn rocks on target, you have to ensure the rocks hit the weak spots? All while wrestling with the camera in a less than ideal setting and a draining health bar. Ergh, DMD seems like a cake walk compared to this.

I'm actually thinking of going through it on easy to remind myself of blue orbs, etc.. My mind is totally scrambled.

Carbonox

DMC Secret Mission 5 was horrible in 2001 and it's horrible now. It's not enough to get the damn rocks on target, you have to ensure the rocks hit the weak spots? Ergh, DMD seems like a cake walk compared to this.

I'm actually thinking of going through it on easy to remind myself of blue orbs, etc.. My mind is totally scrambled.

Secret mission 5 is the Kyklops one right where you have to get them to hit each other? I just jumped back and forth non-stop in front of them until one fell. Didn't care where the other was hit, just as long as they hit each other. A minute later or less, and done.

Secret mission 5 is the Kyklops one right where you have to get them to hit each other? I just jumped back and forth non-stop in front of them until one fell. Didn't care where the other was hit, just as long as they hit each other. A minute later or less, and done.

Yeah, that's the one. I'm sure it's hitting intermittently. Every so often I get 'Dull' so I'm guessing that's when it's hitting.

Carbonox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PL1DDAA592333D69A7&v=AhdAkdWZUYw#t=96s

Watch this to get an idea of what I mean. It's literally as simple as jumping back and forth in front of them. If you take a hit, it won't matter but it shouldn't take long on Normal though it's still a pain in the ass.

That's what I've been doing. They were just getting on top of each other, which was frustrating. Managed to do it just now and got killed by the Beelzebubs through the door. This is what I get for trying for that yellow orb trophy I guess.

Thanks for the help anyways.

Top Bottom