• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

cj_iwakura

Story questions about Urabe/Vision Quests 1 & 2,

Do they ever say what happened to his family? Is it safe to assume it had to do with the blast that killed Judah?

Vamphuntr

Im underwater looking at a dolphin this is some strong stuff im on im a bird and the walls are dripping and i just dropped my wallet oh god im melting im meeeeeeeeeeeelting wat

WHY IS THIS JUGGLER TALKING ALL FUNNY WHO-HOA BROTHER I LOVE COCAINE

Poor, poor Snappy!

Boss spoiler?
It's my first time killing a dolphin in a SMT game. Is he in another game?

Just been playing today, did the first actual dungeon. Should I keep most of My demons away to save on Magetite? I had a full party, and it seemed to eat away at my cash faster than I could get more. Plus the non demon crew is pretty beastly right now.

Also, do summoned demons gain XP? I thought I had read that they did and did not, but am a bit confused about that whole thing. Now to decide how to make the best Zoma Zeed I can.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The VA in this game is perfect, it's really making me enjoy the game even more than I expected to. When the security guard goes "MONSTErrr---eeerrrs" in the first vision quest, I was sold. That wouldn't have read the same way or been as funny.

The battles also move ridiculously fast, which is nice.

You know what my thoughts on that scene was?

"Fucking Yuri Lowenthal again."

The same when I first hearing Captain Paradigm and when the last spooky members joining in. Fucking Yuri Lowenthal again.

Anyways, I didn't pay attention to the tutorial explaining this, but how can I know whether the monster I am facing can be recruited to by talking or not?

Varna

Story questions about Urabe/Vision Quests 1 & 2,

Do they ever say what happened to his family? Is it safe to assume it had to do with the blast that killed Judah?

I'm just past that point but I'm guessing it's one of those generic. This happened things that won't really be explored all that much. Going by
some of the NPCs in the first vision quest it seems like the Phantom Society might have had something to do with it

I left the VA on because it's not awful to listen to like P3/4. Some of the exchanges are pretty good so I don't skip ahead.

I finally got a working, non-glitched save going last night, but it was too late to do much more. What happened was this: I just died right outside the door to the second boss, and I decided that now would be a good time to restart to get different/better spells for Nemissa. So I start over, with the exact same name, saving over the same slot. When doing the first vision quest, the crates were already empty, and after I got the GUMP, I had dying status and would die after taking one step upon entering a dungeon. I tried restarting 3 times, before I got mad, made my name all AAAAAAAAs and then the problem fixed itself. So it was somehow saving the fact that I had died onto a new save, making it unplayable.

tl;dr: If you start a new game and save over a file with the same name, bad things happen.

I'm about 6 hours in and at the
VR art gallery
and liking it a ton, aside from the aforementioned save bug and the occasional weird text placement. The speed of movement and battles is FANTASTIC.

Madouu

Man, I kind of want to wait for SMT IV to be my first Megami Tensei game but the setting in this seems to be way more down my alley. I really like the character design in Soul Hackers compared to what I've seen so far in SMT IV too. Decisions decisions...

Varna

Man, I kind of want to wait for SMT IV to be my first Megami Tensei game but the setting in this seems to be way more down my alley. I really like the character design in Soul Hackers compared to what I've seen so far in SMT IV too. Decisions decisions...

Seems like a good entry point. You can adjust the difficulty down if you are having problems. I will say some of the demon/fusion stuff is a bit confusing even for someone like me who has played everything that is playable in english.

Ghazi

Wow, I'm in exactly the same boat.

Vamphuntr

Guess I'll try finding demons for the petshop for a while. I guess you need the "special info" to unlock some fusions because right now some fusions are labeled as "unable too" in gray right now.

I'm at the Auto plant so I'll try to fuse stuff a bit.

Some of the new demons in this are really weird. Cosmo Zombie? Snappy?

cj_iwakura

Airport, post Vision Quest 2,

funny how everyone Judah helped isn't just talking smack about him, but they're teaching you with the info he gave them.

funny how everyone Judah helped isn't just talking smack about him, but they're teaching you with the info he gave them.

I thought it was hilarious.

Just finished the Art Museum, great boss fight. Haven't been keeping up with my demons, so a bunch of them decided to disobey me during the fight. Still managed to pull through, but I need to start using demons more.

And that one guy acts like you're the ungrateful one when exiting dialog with him. xD

Let me just say that talking to
the guys that talk backwards
is nearly impossible with autoscroll on.

Love the save anywhere app. Will you ever get more memory slots?
Not sure if worth spoiler-ing, but: yes

Dariso

Neo Member
I could be wrong, but I recall the Saturn version had Nemissa/Hitomi's portraits do a neat transition effect, and I think it was lost in the upgrade.

Well i just checked i bit of a 3ds playthrough and i think you're right,here's the ps1 version i think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=266Fa49k0Fc

Its really a minor loss but still the effect was cool. Sad to hear about the freezing issues, so the japanese version also had them?

Moonlight

Banned
Man, I have to say, I love buffs (and debuffs) in this game. I just spam Makakaja with Goblin, and Nemissa turns into a fucking cannon.

(also, Hitomi >>> Nemissa)

Tiktaalik

I've only played about three minutes of the game, but I definitely noticed the oddly low audio. Has there been any comment from Atlus about this? It seems like a weird and glaring mistake. There was no audio issue with Etrian Odyssey 4. Maybe something that could be fixed in a patch or is there some unfixable emulation/porting issue that has caused this?

So I checked and I'm not crazy. According to the (probably horribly inaccurate) decibel reader I downloaded from the App Store, the background music (at max setting) in Soul Hackers hovers around 40-50 dB, whereas in Etrian Odyssey 4 the same scenario is 70-80 db. Noticeably higher. It doesn't help that the audio mix in Soul Hackers has the voice acting quiet as well.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So I checked and I'm not crazy. According to the (probably horribly inaccurate) decibel reader I downloaded from the App Store, the background music (at max setting) in Soul Hackers hovers around 40-50 dB, whereas in Etrian Odyssey 4 the same scenario is 70-80 db. Noticeably higher. It doesn't help that the audio mix in Soul Hackers has the voice acting quiet as well.

Etrian Odyssey IV *clearly* has the superior audio. Man, I listened to that game OST CD and in my opinion it is also superior to Soul Hacker's OST CD. Not to mention the overall packaging too.

Anyways, anyone can answer this please? :)

Anyways, I didn't pay attention to the tutorial explaining this, but how can I know whether the monster I am facing can be recruited to by talking or not?

Hylian7

Etrian Odyssey IV *clearly* has the superior audio. Man, I listened to that game OST CD and in my opinion it is also superior to Soul Hacker's OST CD. Not to mention the overall packaging too.

Anyways, anyone can answer this please? :)
If that smiley face is there when you are hovering over it after hitting Talk.

Esura

Banned
I'm at the character naming spot and I have a question.

What order do I put my name in? Is it the regular way or the Japanese way with the last name first and stuff?

GeekyDad

Question(s):

When I select Fusion Search from my COMP, it shows me, presumably, what demons I can create using the demons I currently have. However, most of the time, I can't complete the fusion. Why?

Also, certain demons cannot be purchased from Nemechi, though I have enough D-Souls. What's up with that?

Thanks

Question(s):

When I select Fusion Search from my COMP, it shows me, presumably, what demons I can create using the demons I currently have. However, most of the time, I can't complete the fusion. Why?

Also, certain demons cannot be purchased from Nemechi, though I have enough D-Souls. What's up with that?

Thanks

It all has to do with your character's level. You're probably not a high enough level to fuse or purchase the demons.

Edit to add:

To elaborate a little bit, the same thing will occur during a demon negotiation. This morning I almost had a Silky convinced to come with me and join my group of demons, but she mentioned that I wasn't a high enough level for her to tag along. I checked later when I tried to fuse her, my main character was level 22 and silky was at 24. Once I hit level 25, I tried fusing her again and it worked. Hope that helps.

cj_iwakura

I just met a new NPC and seriously, the voice cast of this game... *sigh*

Considering how many NPCs they voiced, I'm not too surprised, but I don't mind, I never imagined so many would get spoken dialogue.

Also, this is probably the most restricting inheritance fusion system ever. :( Forget a demon getting the skill you want, just better go find another demon result and hope it gets the skills instead. Almost no one can inherit Seere's Rakunda. (And you always want the Rakunda/Tarukaja combo for bosses.)

GeekyDad

It all has to do with your character's level. You're probably not a high enough level to fuse or purchase the demons.

Edit to add:

To elaborate a little bit, the same thing will occur during a demon negotiation. This morning I almost had a Silky convinced to come with me and join my group of demons, but she mentioned that I wasn't a high enough level for her to tag along. I checked later when I tried to fuse her, my main character was level 22 and silky was at 24. Once I hit level 25, I tried fusing her again and it worked. Hope that helps.

Ah, that's kinda what I was thinking, but I didn't see anything in the menus that tell you what level is required to fuse/purchase certain demons. Am I just overlooking that?

Ah, that's kinda what I was thinking, but I didn't see anything in the menus that tell you what level is required to fuse/purchase certain demons. Am I just overlooking that?

I honestly don't know if it's mentioned there or not, it's just one of those SMT staples that I'd encountered in the other SMT games I've played. So it wasn't terribly surprising when this one had it as well.

The demon negotiation in this game is probably the best I have seen in any of the SMTs I have played. I was just in a fight with three Acheri beat the crap out of two of them, and the thrid one asked where her buddies were. After I aswered "In HELL!", the final remaining demon asked to join me with a quickness! So very cool. And that's just one of the many interactions I have seen.

Also is it me, or is regaining demons after you have fused/released them easier than the first time?

Because I'm enjoying this game so much, I've decided to run three competitions this year in celebration of the Megaten happenings this year (Devil Suvivor 2 3DS + anime, Soul Hackers, and SMT IV).

First competition will be for a digital copy of Soul Hackers (details by the end of day tomorrow).
Second competition will be for a copy of the first print run of SMT IV (this will happen in June and yes it means you get all the goodies with it).
Third competition will be for digital copies of SMT IV and Soul Hackers along with a 3DS (this will happen at the end of the year. Read December).

It goes without saying all items will be North American versions. Though, if you have a U.S. 3DS already, you may participate in the first competition whatever it ends up being. Western Europeans, most North Americans, and our denizens from Japan will be able to participate in the third comp.

vall03

Finnegan boss battle caught me off guard! Was surprised to see him summon the same demons that I have. Thank god he didn't exploit any of my demons weaknesses lol

Totakeke

Just got this through the eshop, was contemplating waiting another week but what the heck.

So I noticed there's two pixie demons, one level 2 and the other 3, what's up with that?

Because I'm enjoying this game so much, I've decided to run three competitions this year in celebration of the Megaten happenings this year (Devil Suvivor 2 3DS + anime, Soul Hackers, and SMT IV).

First competition will be for a digital copy of Soul Hackers (details by the end of day tomorrow).
Second competition will be for a copy of the first print run of SMT IV (this will happen in June and yes it means you get all the goodies with it).
Third competition will be for digital copies of SMT IV and Soul Hackers along with a 3DS (this will happen at the end of the year. Read December).

It goes without saying all items will be North American versions. Though, if you have a U.S. 3DS already, you may participate in the first competition whatever it ends up being. Western Europeans, most North Americans, and our denizens from Japan will be able to participate in the third comp.

Cool beans. Already have SH, but SMT IV is neat.

So I haven't seen much more on the game freezing. Game freezes are a BIG HUGE deal to me as I hate redoing stuff unless I want to redo something.

I understand this happens with the physical and digital copies and supposedly during certain spell effects. Has anyone who encountered the freezes been able to reproduce it and link it 100% to spell effects? And has it been affirmed basically that disabling the extra spell effects removes the freezing?

I know the game has only been out for a day and a half now but just wondering. I get my copy tonight and am looking forward to playing it but reading about freezing problems may keep me from doing much in the game until more is known about how to at least prevent potential freezes from happening. Unless someone wants to tell me that it really truly isn't something to worry much about. Its an RPG, so I mean, I'm used to "redoing" fights anyway... ;)

So I finally beat the
VR Museum boss Snappy
which was a huge pain in the ass because it seemed to
be absorbing all of my magic attacks and had crazy high defense, so I was only able to hit him for like 5 or so damage with my physical attacks
it literally took me 30 minutes to finish.

Wasn't sure if I should spoiler that or not, but figured better safe than sorry.

Top Bottom