• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

would you guys recommend this game to someone who isn't fond of Japanese RPGs normally but has enjoyed the classics like Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger?
Never played an smt game, enjoy wrps old and new (kotor, og fallout and new fallout, etc)

Been making my way through the Extra Game content. I've completed two of the "dungeons" so far. But I'm stuck walking around in circles in
Quantum Leap
. I suppose if I keep trying different rooms I will eventually work my way out.

So far I have to say the Extra Game stuff hasn't been as difficult as I would have though it would be, of course the not being able to save thing is kind of a bummer.

BearChair

would you guys recommend this game to someone who isn't fond of Japanese RPGs normally but has enjoyed the classics like Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger?
Never played an smt game, enjoy wrps old and new (kotor, og fallout and new fallout, etc)

This might not be for you then. Battles move very quickly, but the demon personality system is very complicated.

If you want to try a first person dungeon-crawler give Etrian Odyssey 4 a chance first. It is much more beginner friendly, while still being deep.

Vamphuntr

Been making my way through the Extra Game content. I've completed two of the "dungeons" so far. But I'm stuck walking around in circles in
Quantum Leap
. I suppose if I keep trying different rooms I will eventually work my way out.

So far I have to say the Extra Game stuff hasn't been as difficult as I would have though it would be, of course the not being able to save thing is kind of a bummer.

Just wait till you enter the exhibit room. Prepare to see the game over the screen.

I'm kinda stuck there. All my demons haved maxed stats but I still die again and again. I think depending how you spent your points the fight with
Raido and Raidou
might be impossible. I die in 1-2hit and I have the best gear :S

Nemissa is such a liability for these fights, ugh.

Just wait till you enter the exhibit room. Prepare to see the game over the screen.

I'm kinda stuck there. All my demons haved maxed stats but I still die again and again. I think depending how you spent your points the fight with
Raido and Raidou
might be impossible. I die in 1-2hit and I have the best gear :S

Nemissa is such a liability for these fights, ugh.

Heh, that's not a comforting thought. I just completed
Quantum Leap and the fight with Sid Davis (i think that was his name) was a bit more difficult than the first few had been. Problem is now I'm stuck in Dungeon P

All in all, I'm pretty ok with the Extra Game dungeons so far. And really I think this is one of the more enjoyable SMT games that I play. After I finally beat P1P, I'll go back through a new game + of this.

Soriku

It seems you can initiate a quest with Mary, for those who don't know. Steps:

1. After Vision Quest 2, talk to Mary.

2. After VR Art Museum, talk to Mary.

3. After the
HQ change
(I think
it changes to Yurashima
? I'm not up to this part yet so IDK.) talk to Mary.

4. After finishing
Algon HQ
, talk to Mary.

5. Before starting
Amami Monolith
, talk to Mary, unlock Mary's side quest.

Vamphuntr

I finally beat the EX game. Phew. The bosses in the exhibit hall were a huge pain in the ass. It took 15 tries or so but I did it. It seems the RNG felt generous and let me win after so many tries :p . Joking asides, it seems like their AI change depending on how you position your team and I didn't understand it at first.

Bosses spoilers
http://i.imgur.com/hp8KHo1.jpg?2
http://i.imgur.com/lNV0Hy0.jpg?2

Cat fight
http://i.imgur.com/ak9Njf2.jpg?2
http://i.imgur.com/dGG5JIG.jpg?2

Awkward
http://i.imgur.com/NI9J3wb.jpg?2
http://i.imgur.com/rutCDjD.jpg?2

The worst fight was definitely the third when they both go at you. The key for me to win was to keep Nemissa alive at all cost since her Overlord spell heavily damages their front row. After that you need to be lucky for scout to fail or hit Nemissa instead or else Raidou will kill your MC the following turn. It's pretty silly that they summon the battleship final boss from the first Raidou game after that. Fortunately, he's rather easy compared to the rest as he's alone and you have time to set up Rakukaja/Tarunda and Makakaja. At first he hit really hard but with demons with 40 INT/EN and MC guarding you usually have enough time to set up Rakukaja / Tarunda. Bomb status was panicking me but it would dispell the next turn on MC so all went well. The first two fights with the first Devil summoner guy and Raido's demons are kinda easy with strong demons.

cj_iwakura

Oh Europe...

http://nisamerica.com/pressreleases/SoulHackers_PAL_20130425_NISA_F.pdf

ibkJdFdMXWOOxI.gif

So does anyone hope that Soul Hackers will mean a new game in the Devil Summoner series? And not Raidou, but a modern one?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
If it's more urban fantasy like this game I hope so. Really liking this game a lot so far, glad I got the chance to play it.

Think Im talking to demons a little too much. It's fun to see what they say but I'm not getting a lot of experience by doing it. Had a rough time with the first boss fight against
Carol J
. Whole party died except for the MC.

Busaiku

Actually, I probably should finish this before getting back into Fire Emblem Awakening...
But then again, I wonder how much I have left.

I'm just before the 3rd Vision Quest, I think.
Am I reaching the end?

GeekyDad

After almost 30 hours, had my first lock-up. I guess that's not bad considering other reports, but it's still something that should be fixed.

MechaX

This boss in the Corridor of Time fucking sucks man.

It's like, I can get King Frost down to critical if he decides that he doesn't want to freeze-lock my party to death (seriously, why in the fuck is everybody in this game free to being frozen?). The problem is when he gets Last Resort (yes, I already know about the Physical Mirror strategy, but it doesn't help much if King Frost gets to act first every time).

Vamphuntr

This boss in the Corridor of Time fucking sucks man.

It's like, I can get King Frost down to critical if he decides that he doesn't want to freeze-lock my party to death (seriously, why in the fuck is everybody in this game free to being frozen?). The problem is when he gets Last Resort (yes, I already know about the Physical Mirror strategy, but it doesn't help much if King Frost gets to act first every time).

What demons are you using? In my case both humans played before him and with Makakaja x 4 I killed him before he used last resort without using a mirror. Try to fuse a demon with tetrakarn and fuse him with the mitama that increases agility many times. This demon will always play first and can use tetrakarn before he self destructs.

jorgeton

This 10 coin max on streetpass is such BS. I've run around like a crazy person all week, 3DS in man purse, and I've only been able to level Nemechi up twice. Oh Nintendo... you glorious bastards.

Also, that save anywhere app is such a lifesaver. The 2nd half of the game is surfeit with long dungeons without many terminals, and enemies that love to spam Mudola. Losing 10 minutes of playtime is bad enough, I can't imagine losing a good hour or more of exploration to some random encounter. It was OK in Nocturne or one of the other console games, but on a handheld it just feels wrong.

MechaX

What demons are you using? In my case both humans played before him and with Makakaja x 4 I killed him before he used last resort without using a mirror. Try to fuse a demon with tetrakarn and fuse him with the mitama that increases agility many times. This demon will always play first and can use tetrakarn before he self destructs.

I'm using Rakshasa (for Rakunda and Sukunda), Genbu (for other buffing), Lugh, Kaiming Shou for healing, and other demons like Tezcatlipoca, Fafnir, and Da Peng for other stuff or attacking. I'm looking through the compendium, and I don't even think I ever even had a demon that knew Tetrakarn (and I never bothered with mitama fusing here).

My humans have agility in the early twenties, yet Da Peng is able to strike first with 18 agility (too bad he has a shit move-set).

fates

Really nice to see NIS bridging the Atlus gap with Europe. Hope they keep it up so everyone there can play these games too.

This 10 coin max on streetpass is such BS. I've run around like a crazy person all week, 3DS in man purse, and I've only been able to level Nemechi up twice. Oh Nintendo... you glorious bastards.

Also, that save anywhere app is such a lifesaver. The 2nd half of the game is surfeit with long dungeons without many terminals, and enemies that love to spam Mudola. Losing 10 minutes of playtime is bad enough, I can't imagine losing a good hour or more of exploration to some random encounter. It was OK in Nocturne or one of the other console games, but on a handheld it just feels wrong.

You can change the date on the 3DS to accumulate more coins.

Vamphuntr

I'm using Rakshasa (for Rakunda and Sukunda), Genbu (for other buffing), Lugh, Kaiming Shou for healing, and other demons like Tezcatlipoca, Fafnir, and Da Peng for other stuff or attacking. I'm looking through the compendium, and I don't even think I ever even had a demon that knew Tetrakarn (and I never bothered with mitama fusing here).

My humans have agility in the early twenties, yet Da Peng is able to strike first with 18 agility (too bad he has a shit move-set).

Megami Pallas Athena should have it and is a level 50 demon. If she doesn't act first fuse her with a nigi mitama (undine x sylph, undine x gnome, sylph x gnome). Or else grind until your character have high enough AGI to act first I guess. AGI was the main stat I was putting point in so I didn't have this problem.

MechaX

Megami Pallas Athena should have it and is a level 50 demon. If she doesn't act first fuse her with a nigi mitama (undine x sylph, undine x gnome, sylph x gnome). Or else grind until your character have high enough AGI to act first I guess. AGI was the main stat I was putting point in so I didn't have this problem.

I ended up spending a shit-ton of MAG in order to fuse a Kartikeya w/ 28 AGI to be able to cast either Tetrakarn or the magic version each turn. Managed to cheese my way through the first three bosses, and brute-forced my way through the 4th.
Lucifuge couldn't really do that much damage, even before being fully debuffed; but without a consistent way to cure paralysis on hand, I pretty much had to fully buff Nemissa and have her throw 3000 damage Megidos.

For some reason, I think I might actually have to prepare for the 5th and I need to grind my MAG reserves back up.

Edit: Or... maybe I'll end up curb-stomping the boss because he's too slow to really counter magic reflect. That, and
Maka Kaja x4 + Nemissa getting Naomi's absurdly broken fire spell helped things.

vall03

This is a bit weird. Im already at 100% Compendium, but Im sure there are still a few demons that I haven't listed yet like some UMA, Entity and Zealot demons. Im also missing a few Nemechi demons that I can't purchase and fuse yet. How many demons are there exactly in the game?

I finally beat the EX game. Phew. The bosses in the exhibit hall were a huge pain in the ass. It took 15 tries or so but I did it. It seems the RNG felt generous and let me win after so many tries :p . Joking asides, it seems like their AI change depending on how you position your team and I didn't understand it at first.

I really, really wish you had been joking about the difficulty spike in the Exhibit Hall. I breezed right through the other dungeons and their bosses in the Extra Game content, but I have now seen the Game Over screen so many times while facing the Exhibit Hall boss. I have little to know idea what my options are. I can't seem to fuse any new Demons and level grinding is a bit risky given that you can't save in the Extra Game. Oh well, I suppose I'll just keep playing the odds and see what happens.

I enjoyed Devil Survivor: Overclocked. Is this a similar type of game? Or are there huge differences between the two?

Well, it has the same concept of summoning demons to fight other people/demons, so that is similar, but DS:Overclocked was a SRPG, this is a story based dungeon crawler, lots of maze-y areas to explore and the like. How you acquire demons is different as well, in that in Soul Hackers, you negotiatiate with demons to get them to join you, while in DS:O you had to buy them at auction. Both games have the fusion mechanic however, the spells available in both are quite similar as well.

Vamphuntr

I really, really wish you had been joking about the difficulty spike in the Exhibit Hall. I breezed right through the other dungeons and their bosses in the Extra Game content, but I have now seen the Game Over screen so many times while facing the Exhibit Hall boss. I have little to know idea what my options are. I can't seem to fuse any new Demons and level grinding is a bit risky given that you can't save in the Extra Game. Oh well, I suppose I'll just keep playing the odds and see what happens.

Just load your main game and grind in the area where
Beelzeebub was
. Random encounters in the "monster infested" area usually gives 1000-4000 mags for each battle. Restarting the EX game isn't hard since it takes about 10 min to make it to the exhibit hall once you know the answer to the riddles and if you grinded for Mitamas you should be able to kill all the bosses in the 5 rooms in 1-2 Megidolaon.

--

I really want to try the original Devil Summoner now. There's 3 Megaten game I've yet to play/beat : SMT IF, SMT Devil Summoner and SMT Nine.

I'm really interested in the first Devil Summoner but Turnip said the game was really bad :S. The saturn version appears to be really cheap while the PSP version is still crazy expensive. Aeana said the PSP is poorly emulated so that the game is only a small square in the screen but I've read that at least it let you save anywhere? I wouldn't feel burned paying 15$ for the saturn version if it's really bad but the PSP version would be more useful to me being on an handheld. Hmmmmm

Just load your main game and grind in the area where
Beelzeebub was
. Random encounters in the "monster infested" area usually gives 1000-4000 mags for each battle. Restarting the EX game isn't hard since it takes about 10 min to make it to the exhibit hall once you know the answer to the riddles and if you grinded for Mitamas you should be able to kill all the bosses in the 5 rooms in 1-2 Megidolaon.

At this point I'll try anything. I sort of didn't want to have to redo it, but you're right in that it should be much easier to get through the other areas of the Extra Game this time around. Well, I know how I'm going to spend my weekend instead of studying for finals; I'll be fusing some (hopefully) kick-ass demons!

It seems you can initiate a quest with Mary, for those who don't know. Steps:

1. After Vision Quest 2, talk to Mary.

2. After VR Art Museum, talk to Mary.

3. After the
HQ change
(I think
it changes to Yurashima
? I'm not up to this part yet so IDK.) talk to Mary.

4. After finishing
Algon HQ
, talk to Mary.

5. Before starting
Amami Monolith
, talk to Mary, unlock Mary's side quest.

Is this to
unlock the ability fuse demons into swords with Muramasa?

What if I didn't talk to Mary after Vision Quest 2? :(

Soulhouf

I like the voices but man, why did they put voices on the discussion menu as well? Sentences such as "what do you want to do?" didn't have to be voiced.

They become so annoying when you're going back and forth in the discussion menu and hearing the same thing again and again.

GeekyDad

I like the voices but man, why did they put voices on the discussion menu as well? Sentences such as "what do you want to do?" didn't have to be voiced.

They become so annoying when you're going back and forth in the discussion menu and hearing the same thing again and again.

Except when it's Mary...

WuNq1Yb.gif

cj_iwakura

Phew. VQ3 is go.

The Algon ME boss put up one heck of a fight, first REAL knock down drag out battle I've had.

Which one was for the physical and which one was magical again? I fought the version that took magical damage last time, tempted to go the other way around now.

Roubjon: STR++/AGI+/EN+ for Main, replace STR with MAG for Nemissa.

Cheska

For those of you who have beaten the game, or progressed further, when did you feel things started to get interesting? I'm only about 7 hours in, but the game hasn't grabbed my attention as quickly as other SMT titles.

cj_iwakura

For those of you who have beaten the game, or progressed further, when did you feel things started to get interesting? I'm only about 7 hours in, but the game hasn't grabbed my attention as quickly as other SMT titles.

It gets interesting at the first Vision Quest. It ramps into high gear at the third.

Soriku

So...can anyone recommend a good demon that I can make a good sword out of now that I've unlocked sword fusion? I know cj there's a sword that can stun bosses. Is that the Denkou Muramasa (as well as other "electric" swords)? Though I've noticed there's nothing next to "Effect" so IDK if it can stun or not.

cj_iwakura

So...can anyone recommend a good demon that I can make a good sword out of now that I've unlocked sword fusion? I know cj there's a sword that can stun bosses. Is that the Denkou Muramasa (as well as other "electric" swords)? Though I've noticed there's nothing next to "Effect" so IDK if it can stun or not.

I had almost no luck with it stunning bosses, but yeah, that was the one.

I just went with a high physical one after that failed. Guns are pretty great for status effects, but I hardly use them.

Also, I went for
Tiamat
in the 3rd VQ, hopefully that means the physical dealing version.

GeekyDad

Do you guys have any tips on how to distribute stat points? I'm always clueless when it comes to this.

Well, your main character can't use spells, so magic is out. Of course, Int seems to be a consideration, since it affects magic defense. Mostly, I keep his Str high, then End, and feed Agi last. The rest I don't touch.

With Nemissa, it's pretty much the same, but switch out the Str for Mag, since that's really her primary function in battles. However, I do feed her more points in Int than I do my MC because the benefits seem greater.

Soriku

I had almost no luck with it stunning bosses, but yeah, that was the one.

I just went with a high physical one after that failed. Guns are pretty great for status effects, but I hardly use them.

Also, I went for
Tiamat
in the 3rd VQ, hopefully that means the physical dealing version.

OK.

Btw, WTF is the point of Registering in this game? It seems like everything auto-Registers, so the Register option has been completely useless thus far. That, and you can list and buy different versions of the same demon. For example I have one level 3 Pixie with crap spells and then a lvl 2 Pixie that I got from trading that has Megidolaon (though I don't know what to do with it yet) that I can buy if I want.

Also, I got the cat/female form for Nemechi :) Lucifroz here I come...eventually. I heard he's only a support demon though. While Izanami on the male path gets some good magic skills (she has Megidolaon IIRC).

cj_iwakura

It seems the payoff for this game having one of the better conversation system is that it has the worst fusion inheritance system imaginable. You get one skill set from whatever demons you use, and that's it.

I had a demon with Bufula who couldn't inherit Mabufula. WTF.

Soriku

It seems the payoff for this game having one of the better conversation system is that it has the worst fusion inheritance system imaginable. You get one skill set from whatever demons you use, and that's it.

I had a demon with Bufula who couldn't inherit Mabufula. WTF.

I don't know what demon you were trying to fuse, but demons have inheritance types and skill priorities based on which demon they are. List can be found here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997805-shin-megami-tensei-devil-summoner-soul-hackers/66044330

Though Mabufula specifically is pretty high on the inheritance lists. Also, it seems like fusing with Victor makes it more likely for your demon to inherit Recovery and Support skills.

Btw, forgot to mention but Nemissa's Roma Fulmen skill on her elec path is awesome. I was fighting the Auto Plant boss and remembered that Roma gets stronger as her HP gets lower. I was fighting the boss for a while but starting getting pounded. He had Nemissa down to 68 HP or so, and then I used it...900+ damage. No buffs either. Her regular Zio was only doing 200+. He died right after that lol. I think that move hits all enemies, so if none of the enemies you're fighting have elec resistance (at least not Reflect) and your Nemissa is on low HP it could be a life saver.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Hee-ho at the casino! is probably my favorite.

Rei Reiheeho

Sinople

I really want to try the original Devil Summoner now. There's 3 Megaten game I've yet to play/beat : SMT IF, SMT Devil Summoner and SMT Nine.

I'm really interested in the first Devil Summoner but Turnip said the game was really bad :S. The saturn version appears to be really cheap while the PSP version is still crazy expensive. Aeana said the PSP is poorly emulated so that the game is only a small square in the screen but I've read that at least it let you save anywhere? I wouldn't feel burned paying 15$ for the saturn version if it's really bad but the PSP version would be more useful to me being on an handheld. Hmmmmm

The first DS is not bad! :(
It's certainly more archaic than Soul Hackers but enjoyable enough and its setting and characters have a lot of charm.
You can change the size on the PSP version so that the game fit the screen (in 4:3 or 16:9). It's not exactly beautiful but it's not too ugly either.
What's really bad though is the loading, with a delay before every attack animation for example. It's strongly recommended to install it and play with a custom firmware.

I'm less fond of if... because of its structure of dungeon crawler without real story and its level design that can get really frustrating. On the other hand, it has many unique ideas and is worth a try.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

To me the game got fucking awesome when:
you go into the paintings to save your sister

I have a question, apologies if it's been asked:

About to start the third Vision Quest and
which boss is better to kill? I had a hard time with the boss at Algon Microelectronics just beforehand and I'd like to avoid a boss that uses magic with my actual party if possible.

Top Bottom