• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

cj_iwakura

For anyone curious about Madame Ginko, here is how she looks in the first game.
(From Devil Summoner World Guidance, and yes this is my copy.)

V61MxPw.jpg

Also!
IudwNuh.png

Soulhouf

@cj_iwakura: nice!
Sorry I couldn't stay longer earlier for your let's play Devil Summoner. This kind of stuff is always interesting to do. I hope you were able to beat the 1st dungeon.

BTW, I don't know if someone mentioned it but Kinapp aka Redman is also in Devil Summoner in addition to minor characters such as the shop keepers.

And regarding the characters from the other megaten, I think they are only cameos and the intention has never been to link Soul Hackers to megaten other than Devil Summoner.
With that said, SMTI&II are directly related but SMT if... introduced the parallel worlds (a what if scenario) and from that point the other spin-offs were born. Some are related and many are not.

cj_iwakura

@cj_iwakura: nice!
Sorry I couldn't stay longer earlier for your let's play Devil Summoner. This kind of stuff is always interesting to do. I hope you were able to beat the 1st dungeon.

BTW, I don't know if someone mentioned it but Kinapp aka Redman is also in Devil Summoner in addition to minor characters such as the shop keepers.

And regarding the characters from the other megaten, I think they are only cameos and the intention has never been to link Soul Hackers to megaten other than Devil Summoner.
With that said, SMTI&II are directly related but SMT if... introduced the parallel worlds (a what if scenario) and from that point the other spin-offs were born. Some are related and many are not.

Yep, I got up to the third dungeon before pausing. Was shocked to see Kinap there, especially given (Soul Hackers)
only the sequel relates to North American mythology.

So what is the difference if..

I decide to assist Finnegan or tell him to fuck off?

IIRC if you help him, you only have to do one color (you should pick Blue because there's an Incense in it for you), and if you tell him to fuck off you'll have to fight him

Picked it up a few days ago, been enjoying it, up until the fight at the
Algon Microprocessing Central Room
. Unskippable cutscene just before the big fight? Fffffffuuuuu...! I can't wait to figure out how to get past it.

Soulhouf

Raido isn't the XVth

Oh crap, I always suck when it comes to Roman numbers.
I meant Raido the XIVth.

Any help for that fight? That sucks because my MC is completely useless despite he has good build (40 vita, 32 dex and 30 str or so).
He is definitely a low tier in the Megami Tensei universe.

Soriku

Oh crap, I always suck when it comes to Roman numbers.
I meant Raido the XIVth.

Any help for that fight?

Use 4x Tarunda and Rakukaja. Damage will be very minimized. 4x Makakaja for damage. At least 2x Sukukaja also helps as its evasion is high. The boss doesn't use Dekaja/Dekunda very often so buffs are very effective and crucial. Hopefully your demons are Mitama'd too btw. Get Magic, Int, Vit, and End maxed out.

Also when you get Bomb status make sure to guard with your MC as Soulless Cannon will one shot you if you don't.

Ogre Blade can be tricky but that's why having one or two demons with a heal spell at 40 AGI is beneficial. I had Lucifroz and Shiva to fulfill that role for me. Also his move that puts away demons is annoying but just use Sabbatoma with Nemissa and summon back demons with your MC if your buffs/debuffs are still up and you don't have Bomb status. Though I don't remember if the boss can use a Bomb status + Soulless Cannon combo so be careful with summon with your MC.

In short, use buffs/debuffs and strong demons. Your MC is useless and should just guard. Overlord is a good move for Nemissa too btw (lvl 80).

Soulhouf

Use 4x Tarunda and Rakukaja. Damage will be very minimized. 4x Makakaja for damage. At least 2x Sukukaja also helps as its evasion is high. The boss doesn't use Dekaja/Dekunda very often so buffs are very effective and crucial. Hopefully your demons are Mitama'd too btw. Get Magic, Int, Vit, and End maxed out.

Also when you get Bomb status make sure to guard with your MC as Soulless Cannon will one shot you if you don't.

Ogre Blade can be tricky but that's why having one or two demons with a heal spell at 40 AGI is beneficial. I had Lucifroz and Shiva to fulfill that role for me. Also his move that puts away demons is annoying but just use Sabbatoma with Nemissa and summon back demons with your MC if your buffs/debuffs are still up and you don't have Bomb status. Though I don't remember if the boss can use a Bomb status + Soulless Cannon combo so be careful with summon with your MC.

In short, use buffs/debuffs and strong demons. Your MC is useless and should just guard. Overlord is a good move for Nemissa too btw (lvl 80).

I don't have access to Lucifrost, how do I get it?
I have also Nemissa who is useless since she can't survive a single hit. I made her as a glass cannon (40 ma, 30 in, 30 ag) but it doesn't seem to fly in that fight unfortunately.
My MC is at least immune to bomb status effect. I had that forever because I died at the begining many times because of bomb.
My other problem is that I don't have many buff/debuff skills with my high level demons. Shiva has Makakaja and Tarunda, and that's all I think.

Edit: I just saw Mada who has 3 debuff skills. Come here my friend, I need your help.

Soriku

I don't have access to Lucifrost, how do I get it?
I have also Nemissa who is useless since she can't survive a single hit. I made her as a glass cannon (40 ma, 30 in, 30 ag) but it doesn't seem to fly in that fight unfortunately.
My MC is at least immune to bomb status effect. I had that forever because I died at the begining many times because of bomb.
My other problem is that I don't have many buff/debuff skills with my high level demons. Shiva has Makakaja and Tarunda, and that's all I think.

Edit: I just saw Mada who has 3 debuff skills. Come here my friend, I need your help.

Lucifrost is on the female Nemechi path. You're on the male one if you can get Mada. His buffs are good though and will definitely be useful. Shiva with Tarunda and Makakaja is good too.

Nemissa sucked for the other fights for me because I just attacked straight up without using buffs/debuffs so I could get done with the battles quickly, so she kept dying, but since the Soulless God fight is long I put on buffs/debuffs and that helped with Nemissa's survivability a lot and I was able to use her reliably.

Soulhouf

Thanks Soriku.
I will give it another try before going to bed. I had to reset because I ran out of healing items.
It's annoying that when you choose to continue after a defeat, you loose the items you used.

I also need to re organize my 2 demon teams because I'm playing hard mode and I don't use the alignment hack.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if the "Sharaku's Ukiyo-e" is an important item? It sells for 10000. Should I keep it?

Jawmuncher

Ok so i did all 3 rooms in the Haunted mansion.
Where am I supposed to go now? The top room is still closed even though all 3 music boxes are all playing,

Gartooth

Started the game today and it's my first Shin Megami Tensei game. I'm not going to lie I got lost a lot, doesn't help that it's a pretty old game. Overall though I'm having quite a bit of fun playing it (I suck at talking with demons :p), wish there was more guides and faqs online to figure out the mechanics but I'm sure I'll manage.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Started the game today and it's my first Shin Megami Tensei game. I'm not going to lie I got lost a lot, doesn't help that it's a pretty old game. Overall though I having quite a bit of fun playing it (I suck at talking with demons :p), wish there was more guides and faqs online to figure out the mechanics but I'm sure I'll manage.
It was the same for me. Now I'm 10 hours in and I'm still learning new things in this game. Demon negotation and fusion gets really addicting.

Made it to the first ending. I haven't done the
top floor of the Sea Ark
yet. Overall, it was a decent game. Good variety of demons even though I know I'm not nearly done (I think my compendium is at 59%) The alignment system was interesting, but I can see why they streamlined it in later games like Strange Journey: Light/Dark was negated with a single piece of software, so the only thing that mattered when choosing a team was Law/Chaos. And they sure do love their secret types in this one. I do kinda wish all types were fusable though: what's the point of
the Rumor demons
except to be tossed away once they're in the compendium?

The Magnetite system was a bit frustrating. You're tempted to fill up your team, until you realize that it costs you for every step. Early on, you see it's a losing battle so you stop summoning entirely except for boss battles. Not sure why they get you into the habit of not using demons in a demon-summoning game.

Level design was good. It wasn't totally straightforward, but nothing insane like Eridanus either. Maybe it could have stood to be a wee bit trickier, but I'm just speaking as someone with experience in the series. Character-wise, the protagonists were interesting, the antagonists didn't really have any personality, and the possible-allies needed more exposition.

9/10 would hack again.

cj_iwakura

I haven't seen anyone comment, so I'll ask, ending spoilers:

Was anyone hit hard by Spooky's death? It depressed the hell out of me.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
FFF I came in here to ask a question and accidentally highlighted that on reflex

It could've been worse I guess. Anyway, does anyone know what affects nemechi's evolutions? I've just been using play coins and got him to his final form once, reset, and it looks like he's just evolving back to the same final form again.

Soulhouf

I love Fox Mulder. He's awesome and I will play NG+ to change his fate.
Once I beat the ultimate boss in EX Dungeon though, huge amount of grinding to mitama-boost my demons...

It totally
bummed me the fuck out, I definitely fell in love with the character. I didn't pick up on the Fox Mulder thing, but looking back on it I can see the relation

vall03

I didn't expect anyone in the team to die at all, so it was certainly unexpected considering the events prior to that

Soriku

So Soul Hackers did somewhere above 21k in April in the US according to NPD.

Breakdown went like this for 3DS:

SM Land 3D
Soul Hackers
Monster Hunter 3U > 21k

Hopefully close to 30k. Good, bad, decent? Aeana?

I hope SMT IV can do 50k+.

cj_iwakura

So Soul Hackers did somewhere above 21k in April in the US according to NPD.

Breakdown went like this for 3DS:

SM Land 3D
Soul Hackers
Monster Hunter 3U > 21k

Hopefully close to 30k. Good, bad, decent? Aeana?

I hope SMT IV can do 50k+.

Sounds pretty solid to me, considering some niche-er releases did single digit thousands in the past.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Good stuff, I wonder how Atlus keeps pumping MegaTen games so often these days. How big is their studio?

cj_iwakura

Good stuff, I wonder how Atlus keeps pumping MegaTen games so often these days. How big is their studio?

Well, usually they have the majority of their team focused on major projects like P5 and Catherine, while they have a B team doing stuff like portable games and/or ports.

If you think about it, the last new SMT game before IV was Devil Survivor 2.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Well, usually they have the majority of their team focused on major projects like P5 and Catherine, while they have a B team doing stuff like portable games and/or ports.

If you think about it, the last new SMT game before IV was Devil Survivor 2.

Still, Altus doesn't do half-assed jobs like Squeenix iOS ports. Devil Survivor Overclocked, P4 Golden, and Soul Hackers are testament to that. Those ports required some effort. I, for one, am very impressed.

Finally got the game the past Wednesday. It sucks to wait 4 weeks but is still cheaper than buy locally.

Interesting the use of the magnetite system but still feels loose at times (not mention with the potential of breaking the game.

Still pretty early, i am in the
Astro Museum

Still, Altus doesn't do half-assed jobs like Squeenix iOS ports. Devil Survivor Overclocked, P4 Golden, and Soul Hackers are testament to that. Those ports required some effort. I, for one, am very impressed.

Id call Overclocked half assed, P4G and SH are the opposite of that. Working on finishing this game, I have a habit of taking breaks on games near the end, dunno why. 11/10 game so far and I am in the final dungeon.

Teknoman

The only thing thats kinda eating at me with this (similar to Persona 1) is that the story just hasnt grabbed me yet. I just reached the art museum, so maybe i've still got a way to go. Either way, heres hoping for a major story grab moment.

EDIT: I'm interested in the world of the game, just the story seems to be moving slow from point to point/the pieces havent come together yet.

cj_iwakura

Id call Overclocked half assed, P4G and SH are the opposite of that. Working on finishing this game, I have a habit of taking breaks on games near the end, dunno why. 11/10 game so far and I am in the final dungeon.

The 8th Day was a lot more interesting than I'd expected. It was lacking, but good enough to warrant buying again. And it's a fantastic game to begin with.

Caelestis

I am trying to figure out how long I have until the end. I just got to the
area from the third vision quest after you find out about Minatou and Nemissa.

cj_iwakura

I was hoping there wouldn't be anything nastier than the last dungeon that I went through with all the backtracking back and forth. D:

Whatever you do, have a demon with Estoma for the Monolith.
Design spoiler:

It's two massive towers. You have to ascend one, solve a puzzle, descend, go to the other, ascend, solve puzzle, go BACK to the other, then BACK to the other.

It isn't so bad once you know the trick, and the second half is much easier, but it's a nightmare if you're getting in random battles every few steps.

cj_iwakura

Oh, I did that one. It gave me a headache. Guess I am in a final dungeon then. :D

In the final vision quest,
which demon did you fight?

And yeah, final dungeon is very straight forward. Just one tricky teleport section, but it's largely trial and error, not Eridanus-level nightmares.

Soriku

The only thing thats kinda eating at me with this (similar to Persona 1) is that the story just hasnt grabbed me yet. I just reached the art museum, so maybe i've still got a way to go. Either way, heres hoping for a major story grab moment.

EDIT: I'm interested in the world of the game, just the story seems to be moving slow from point to point/the pieces havent come together yet.

The story picks up after
the Amami Float
but the story isn't that great tbh. Still decent and the game as a whole is good though.

Caelestis

In the final vision quest,
which demon did you fight?

And yeah, final dungeon is very straight forward. Just one tricky teleport section, but it's largely trial and error, not Eridanus-level nightmares.
I don't remember the name, but it was the one if you follow the left path. I assume it
affects the final boss somehow
?

Top Bottom